Tablets and laptops at St Mary's

jawillwill

I see Man Utd are apparently getting a lot of stick for banning tablets/ laptops from Old Trafford, with the head of one of their main supporters groups speaking out about it.

How would you feel if they made similar rules at St Mary's? What would you think if Mr Illingsworth spoke in a similar way about it?

Unless you are a press person, why the hell would anyone bring a laptop to a football match? And tablets as well? Why?

Just use your phone, or just watch the game...which is what you've paid to do!

Wouldn't bother me a jot to be honest, I travel light to the football so the last thing I've ever wanted to do is lug around computer kit.

Seems an odd move, but it's largely pointless to bring one to SMS anyway, since there is no WiFi and all mobile networks are crippled during the game.

I would be all for a supporters WiFi network though. Twitter and services like it are a part of the modern game, sharing opinions and debating things in real-time. Make it a part of the season ticket price if necessary.

Man U doing it because they think they could be a terrorist threat. Because they don't have the facilities that airports do to make people charge them up to check they are working, then they are just banning them. I don't think we could be considered as likely to be a terrorist target so i can't see it happening here.

Why on earth would you want to bring a lap top into a football ground?

Give it 5 years and it will be common place. Most PL clubs are already thinking of putting in wi-fi and having an app which will allow fans to download stats from the match as it happens.

It's not like the old days of hooliganism and pis sing in the pocket of the bloke in front of you on the terraces, that's for sure....

Give it 5 years and it will be common place. Most PL clubs are already thinking of putting in wi-fi and having an app which will allow fans to download stats from the match as it happens.

It's not like the old days of hooliganism and pis sing in the pocket of the bloke in front of you on the terraces, that's for sure....

Next thing you know you'll be able to stream the match to your tablet whilst in your seat, why bother going to the ground FFS

I know all about wifi in stadiums Bradley, when I'm not Selling printer cartridges I do a bit of this on the side.

Whilst I get why people might want to access betting site or other scores at half time and full time and why the club would want to install wifi to advertise why someone wants to spend the entire game glued to their iPad is beyond me.

Next thing you know you'll be able to stream the match to your tablet whilst in your seat, why bother going to the ground FFS

Like the dinlows that film the games on their phones. Penalties, free kicks etc. don't enjoy the moment, just make sure you've got a video of it FFs

It's the airport security reason.

Some think it's for copyright reasons...ignoring the fact that cameras / phones / video cameras are not banned

If you or I strolled into St Mary's and attempted to film an entire game on a camcorder, we could expect a tap on the shoulder and a request to stop and/or a threat of being thrown out.

From the ground regulations on the OS:

1.6 Save only as set out in the Ground Regulations, no person may bring into the Ground or use within the Ground any equipment which is capable of recording or transmitting (by digital or any other means) any audio, visual or audio-visual material or any information or data in relation to a Match or the Ground.

1.7 Mobile telephones are permitted within the Ground provided that they are used for personal and private use only and in any event purely for the purpose of transmission and/or reception of voice data only not being commentary upon the Match in progress.

Everytime I go to something and see somebody recording with a Ipad,I get the overwhelming urge to snatch it off them and smash them over the head with it.digi cameras have the ability to record take one of those,not to mention how easy it is with a mobile.

I back the ban 100%

If you or I strolled into St Mary's and attempted to film an entire game on a camcorder, we could expect a tap on the shoulder and a request to stop and/or a threat of being thrown out.

From the ground regulations on the OS:

So they have the copyright issues covered elsewhere then?

It would seem odd to introduce new rules to achieve what is governed already.

Yeah, it's the terrorism angle. The copyright issue is a red herring as there's always been rules against that, and banning certain devices but not others (phones, small cameras) wouldn't help anyway.

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/5677613

I still dont get why a tablet is more dangerous than a phone. You can use a phone to trigger a bomb and an ipad case wouldn't hold enough explosive to do meaningful damage - you'd be better off with a bag bomb or vest.

I still dont get why a tablet is more dangerous than a phone. You can use a phone to trigger a bomb and an ipad case wouldn't hold enough explosive to do meaningful damage - you'd be better off with a bag bomb or vest.

Diminishing returns I would think. If they ban tablets and computers they eliminate the possibility of explosions over a given 'size' for want of a better word (bigger size = bigger bang). Banning phones simply wouldn't be practical so it is a risk that they are willing to assume. Re the bags, it is easier to discover a bag bomb compared to a filled tablet/laptop.

I would say that it is a balance between minimising risk while minimising inconvenience.

Everytime I go to something and see somebody recording with a Ipad,I get the overwhelming urge to snatch it off them and smash them over the head with it.digi cameras have the ability to record take one of those,not to mention how easy it is with a mobile.

I back the ban 100%

could not agree more. watch the game, support the side.

No wonder the atmosphere is disappearing at games.

OK, I can understand this but if I go to the game on the train I will have my tablet in my bag to either play games or read a book, basically passing time on the tedious train journey.

So, if I can't take it into the bowl, what am I supposed to do with it during game time? They're obviously not going to want to store it for me until after the match and I'm not going to use a locker at the railway station (if they still exist).

OK, I can understand this but if I go to the game on the train I will have my tablet in my bag to either play games or read a book, basically passing time on the tedious train journey.

So, if I can't take it into the bowl, what am I supposed to do with it during game time? They're obviously not going to want to store it for me until after the match and I'm not going to use a locker at the railway station (if they still exist).

If you use a Kindle app surely you can use your phone instead? (Smaller screen yes, but removes the issue.)

You could...bring a book?

It's not for reading at the ground FFS, it's for reading getting to and going from the ground.

All my new books are in the cloud.

I agree with what they are trying to do, I am just trying to work out the logistics of what to do with the tablet outside of the game itself. They should take that into account too...

It's not for reading at the ground FFS, it's for reading getting to and going from the ground.

All my new books are in the cloud.

I agree with what they are trying to do, I am just trying to work out the logistics of what to do with the tablet outside of the game itself. They should take that into account too...

I agree it's an issue. Maybe left luggage at the station?

Unless you are a press person, why the hell would anyone bring a laptop to a football match? And tablets as well? Why?

Just use your phone, or just watch the game...which is what you've paid to do!

Wouldn't bother me a jot to be honest, I travel light to the football so the last thing I've ever wanted to do is lug around computer kit.

It's 4-8 hour train journey for me to watch Saints depending where they are playing and watching a couple of movies on my tablet passes the time. So that's one reason why someone brings a tablet to the football.

I know all about wifi in stadiums Bradley, when I'm not Selling printer cartridges I do a bit of this on the side.

Whilst I get why people might want to access betting site or other scores at half time and full time and why the club would want to install wifi to advertise why someone wants to spend the entire game glued to their iPad is beyond me.

What do you do Turkish?

I've been speaking to a few stadiums re Wifi and you'd be surprised of the extra revenue it can bring in. Ever been at game and wanted an instant reply? It's all possible now, within 5 years I expect most Prem & Championship clubs will have a solution in place to gain a few extra £ from us each game.

It's 4-8 hour train journey for me to watch Saints depending where they are playing and watching a couple of movies on my tablet passes the time. So that's one reason why someone brings a tablet to the football.

This is also a good point United Fans should be making. They probably spend hours every week on the train from Surrey and surrounding areas.

Laptop comes with me for night games because I come straight from work. The mobile phone regulation is laughable and unenforcable in this day and age. Ironic that the club sell an electronic version of the program which according to those regs you can't view at the game.