Saints 0-0 WBA - Post Match Thread

Batman

I admire your positivism Pete, but to think that Olsson was the reason for Pelle not performing is so wide of the mark. I didn't see Olsson up against Pelle much if at all today, Olsson was playing more to the left of their defence, while Pelle favoured their right. Any half decent defender could have easily out played Pelle. He doesn't jump, he doesn't move, he doesn't back in (like Lambert). He appears to have no vision and no movement. AS i said he was marginally better 2nd half where he reslised that if he chested the ball down he had a chance to then keep the ball and lay it off, but his control was so poor that even this did not work. I have no desire to write someone off after 2 games, but really he has to change hugely if he is going to make a mark in the PL. He is just a pussy. What we could have done with today was Osvaldo. But what option do we have at the moment, not play our only real striker? If I was RK tonight I would be looking seriously at what may be available in the next week to at least provide some competition.

Thanks VectisSaint, my main point was not to be too critical too early. I am sure you, like me, get fed up with being told X superior team had a collective off day against little ol Saints, when we all know the simple truth is that we did not let the other team play well or we simply outplayed them. For me it was the same today, the Baggies came with a plan to stop us playing, and it worked, it does not mean our players are all Shiite just that the other team did a job on us. It is easier to stop a team playing than to outplay a team, the Baggies stopped us playing.

Needs to be a pellè thread judging by the reaction on here, and that alone says something.

People jeering pellè is as embarrassing as those singing Lamberts name at Liverpool when he'd been subbed on to score against us.

'Needs better delivery and more service' partly true, but pellè also needs to learn how to control a ball and actually do something with the service he's provided, in bigger games we might only get 2/3 chances and they need to be taken at this level.

No one should write him off yet, but he can be judged and currently he looks awful, something needs to change up front that's f'sure!

Even on TV they commented on the jeering....and that it wouldn't help Pelle with his confidence. Poor show. He may not have had a great game, but he didn't get a great deal of service either.

And I echo the comment re: Koeman. Too many camera shots showing him with his head in his hands looking down at the ground. Not inspiring.

Today's game confirmed how far we've dropped from last season sadly. No disrespect to west brom but we're a shadow of the side we were last year and just don't look like threatening in the slightest.

On top of the lack of a cutting edge we are way to slow and predictable in the middle of pitch.

Today's game looked like what it was, two mid table teams, with no real hope of competing and no chance of being relegated playing out a nothing game.

From our perspective we've sold/wasted a golden generation and I doubt we'll see anything close again for a while.

Very dissapointing performance; slow, predictable, sloppy and closer to losing than winning. We had a couple of similar performances last year in the final third but we generally controlled midfield and bossed the game, not today though. Midfield has no balance or zip and not once did we get in behind. Will have to improve massively if we are to have a midtable season.

The jeering of Pelle was absolutely ridiculous, no idea what some people think that will achieve. That said, his performance was bordering on woeful. I thought the very least he would offer was a physical presence, someone to unsettle opposing defences, but it was like he was wading through treacle. 6ft 4, built like an ox, but barely won an aerial duel, control was shocking, never pressed Foster or WBA's defence, and did not look confident getting a shot away. Heading technique also very strange, almost like he's not actually looking at the ball and it ends up splatting somewhere off his face or neck. Tadic played in a couple of balls in the first half and Pelle just didn't seem on the same wavelength, even if the execution of the crosses wasn't particularly great. As said before, early days and hope he improves. He wasn't helped out by a poor display from JWP and lack of any real width from the RW, but needs to show a lot more aggression, subtlety, and speed of thought if he is going to cope in this league. Good hair though, I'll give him that.

Well we were very poor today - we made more passes backwards than sideways and more passes sideways than forwards. our two best players were Forster (MoM) and Wanyama - the rest all looked pretty poor. There was no spark. Pelle looks one dimensional and Tadic was predictable and often lost the ball. Long did nothing to speak of. I think the crowds will fall even lower with this sort of offering.

Well we were very poor today - we made more passes backwards than sideways and more passes sideways than forwards. our two best players were Forster (MoM) and Wanyama - the rest all looked pretty poor. There was no spark. Pelle looks one dimensional and Tadic was predictable and often lost the ball. Long did nothing to speak of. I think the crowds will fall even lower with this sort of offering.

All of this.

Poor today but no need for usual over reaction. Thought we were decent last week & decent pre season. West brom were ok well organised. Like many games last season we failed to break them down. We had a number of poor home performances under poch. Chill out.

It was as bad as the first home game last season against Sunderland and the Wigan one the year before .

I thought the support was pathetic today both in numbers and atmosphere . Too many people round me were moaning and going on about "last year " and missing so and so. The cheering of Pelle when he got his head on something was truly shocking , way to make a newbie feel confident . ****ing makes me laugh , sing Morgans name even though he'd go tomorrow if he could and moan about blokes who want to play for the club. Put lambert up top today , with that side and service in his second premiership game and see what he would do.

Very average performance . I thought MS went through the motions a bit , and I'm not convinced about JWP in this more forward role, just didn't get on the ball enough . I'd have swapped him and SD or played a 2 with Long up top. Pelle is only going to be effective when he's got support.

Disappointed that Gaston has broken a nail again and is missing , there really is nothing after Long coming off the bench to change things. I'm not a fan of Townsend but he can excite the crowd and worry sides like WBA. Days like today we need a spark from the bench

JWP as a no 10 should never happen again.

No point buying Long and playing him right midfield.

Tempo so, so much slower than under Pochettino.

Incoming players just nowhere near the level of those they replaced, although Tadic is a good player.

Pelle was woeful, not helped by tosser fans jeering in his first home game.

Also, to any fans that mocked the idea of Townsend, maybe they can see now why we are crying out for someone that actually carries the ball forward and commits defenders.

Today, we were so easy to defend against. A huge contrast from last season where our movement, tempo and positivity were hard to handle.

Lallana to biggest miss by far, please lets no pretend JWP can do that role, he can't.

Totally agree.. reckon we will get more points away from home. Just dont look to have the quality to break team's down at home looking at current squad.

Far too early to draw any conclusions, it was a poor game but it's not the first and it won't be the last but never argue with a clean sheet. It's still August and everybody is still on their holidays. I still think we're a couple of players short of a team. Forster was impeccable and Big Vic was always entertaining, his turn and spin in the second half was a great laugh. My two grandchildren at their first-ever game enjoyed their day out but they've got a lot to learn about watching Saints.

After the game the stadium announcer said that if you bought a season ticket they would refund the cost of today's. They should do that for all of us.

Feel for Pelle, getting balls lumped to him and expecting everything to stick is unrealistic.

Not enough bodies getting around him.

He had at least two defenders breathing down his neck all game.

Does anybody know why Olsson was having a go at the crowd in the Kingsland in the second half?

Well watched that live on TV can only say that defense looked good as did midfield.

Forster, Tadic and Bertrand looked the real deal but don't think Pelle and Long will reach double figures between them in goals scored.

Just a thought where will JayRod fit into this when he comes back?

But hey we didn't lose :)

People were groaning after 10 minutes and it carried on all game. Some of our fans are a f.ucking joke.

Surely if fans see a player who is shocking they have a right to voice their opinion ?

They are not a joke .... Just may be the player who can't control a ball and who is in tens is thousands a week could be the joke ! Don't knock the fans - knock the player!

Surely if fans see a player who is shocking they have a right to voice their opinion ?

They are not a joke .... Just may be the player who can't control a ball and who is in tens is thousands a week could be the joke ! Don't knock the fans - knock the player!

Hey your not allowed to say that on here, just toe the party line LOL :)

Admittedly Pelle was poor today. I thought he improved 2nd half but surely even he himself will be disappointed with his efforts so far. It's early days yet though.

I can only imagine though that a lot of "fans" have never actually played much themselves. If they think that constant ridiculing is likely to improve a player's performance then maybe they misunderstand the mind of a human being. Still, they need a scapegoat and I can see where it's heading sadly.

His first home game though? The defeatist attitude is tiring. After a long summer, the bed wetting, the announcers reminding us every 10 minutes of the exodus and jeering Pelle after 60 minutes, it's exhausting.

I despair of our fans I really do. How can you predict the season on two games? We didnt play that bad against liverpool and Ive seen many a game similar today and we have lost. We still have key players injured and I dont doubt for a minute we will sign a couple more.

And the team needs a gel. A speciality of Koemans.

Yes you are a bunch of ignorant bed wetters.

This

Having said that I am glad I didnt pull the 2am shift to watch that.

His first home game though? The defeatist attitude is tiring. After a long summer, the bed wetting, the announcers reminding us every 10 minutes of the exodus and jeering Pelle after 60 minutes, it's exhausting.

I thought we were cr@p. Everything about us was bad. The only highlights were Wanyama and Forster who were top draw throughout.

S**t atmosphere throughout as well.

Not a lot different to so many of last seasons home games with us struggling to break down organised defences

Really need someone to help tadic on the other side to spread the play, all our creativity came from tadic so it was easy for west brom to cover that

Having attacking options left and right will also help pelle.

I had also hoped that most of the pathetic moaners were confined to the internet but it appears they also make up a stack of our real life 'supporters' too

Haven't read the thread yet but I thought yesterday's game was a credit to the role both teams destroyers (Vic and Mulumbu) had on the game, they negated the creative side of both teams game.

Yesterday felt like new players playing in a newer system and not completely gelling. Thought Dusan has silky skills and Fraser again impressive, didn't really notice our CBs which reflects well but thought our wingbacks didn't get much chance going forward. Possession looked scrappy and at certain points it was a case of pass it to half way then lump it to pelle up front who I think is better than the 1st 2 games. Think JWP is ok but would prefer Gaston in that role when fit at the moment as he is a real goal threat, stick Long in the right attacker role because with Davies and JWP we are going to see even less goals.

Now to read the thread

Totally agree.. reckon we will get more points away from home. Just dont look to have the quality to break team's down at home looking at current squad.

Last season's home game against West Brom had a similar pattern. It was only a world class pass from ramirez that unlocked the defence and got us a 1-0 win. Not overly worried, this team will take time to reach its full potential. At least we're looking quite solid defensively

Only watched the first half as the stream I was watching kept stuttering and it was annoying me so much I turned it off.

Everyone having a go at Pelle needs to realise that he was completely marked out of the game and never stood a chance. They were doubling up on him all afternoon. Of course, this should have made space for our other players to run into, but for whatever reason we couldn't capitalise. Don't blame it on Pelle though.

The possession game that was so attractive to watch last year and so well executed last season, simply did not happen so it's not surprising that many of the crowd were voicing their disappointment. My little group had our own post-match analysis just as many other fans must have had. Our conclusion - that we had expected too much of the new players; they did not perform as well as those we had lost and the outcome was that the passing game disintegrated. But on the positive side, this could be due to lack of experience, with Tadic and Pelle having to adapt to the Premier League, Long still the new boy, and the whole team having to adapt to the overall number of changes in the side. The clean sheet absolves the defence from criticism but perhaps the pre-season against lower level teams wasn't as testing as was needed. This performance could turn out to be a low point from which things can only get better.

Duncan , I didn't hear anyone booing pelle .

Their number 15 was being booed , but not our players . And I was wearing my hearing aids . And I was sat in the next block along from you . I did come to say hi to derry and Weston at half time

I agree he was somewhat sluggish at times but he will come good for us .

Can't comment on yesterday, only listened to it on the radio.

We do seem short of a real no. 10. Ramirez would be ideal there, but is injured too much for my liking. Would like Ron to sort this out in the window. Also another wide player would give the option of going with 2 up front, or giving more options with the present shape. Couldn't have been that hard for West Brom to double up on Pelle and Tadic yesterday, and that's the attacking threat gone.

Until the end of the window, we're still a work in progress. Anyone who thought that a team so different from last season would hit the ground running straight away is a fool.

Not a lot different to so many of last seasons home games with us struggling to break down organised defences

Really need someone to help tadic on the other side to spread the play, all our creativity came from tadic so it was easy for west brom to cover that

I had also hoped that most of the pathetic moaners were confined to the internet but it appears they also make up a stack of our real life 'supporters' too

I disagree. we may not have got many goals (like WBA at home last season) but we sure as shyt strangled opponents and had we not won, it would have been a very very bad result given the performance we put in

we did well to get a point yesterday, that was the difference (IMO)

I think the reality set in, we have lost our manager and £92m worth of players and replaced them with half that.

of course we are going to be shyte

RK sounded pretty dejected in his post match interview. On to west ham, who have started pretty well

Edited by Batman

The 'pathetic moaners' are just as entitled to label the others as 'pathetic happy clappers'. Both are entitled to their opinions but insulting those with an a different view to your own doesn't do anything to invalidate the alternative judgement. Koeman said on MotD that he thought the team did not play well. Does that make him a pathetic moaner?

Koeman did say we were poor, which we were and I thought he could shoulder some of that blame too. Poor movement all over the pitch and lacked ideas when you take the game on its own.

However saying we are shyte, jeering pelle, condemning the season after two games I'd class as pathetic moaning as may z put it.

Taken too much quality out of the side. Without that little edge we are are going to find it tough to beat teams. I don't agree with those that have been posting that we are almost as strong as last year. No where near as strong without Lovrens high quality and fast distribution. No where near as strong without Shaws penetrative long fast runs down the line and no where near as strong without Lallanas wizardry.

I'm not convinced by JWP. Wanayama is a beast but we were incredibly show and boring with him in the side. Without the pace of Shaw and Rodriguez everything is played out in front of teams, and without Lallana and Lamberts subtle build up play we end up hoofing it.

I am certainly a bit of a pessimist, but going into the season I thought we would be fighting for survival and having that miserable outlook at least prepared me for the worst. So I am not surprised by yesterday's display or outcome. Just hope things come together. Rodrigues returns for example, as one player really can change the balance of the side for the better.

The possession game that was so attractive to watch last year and so well executed last season, simply did not happen so it's not surprising that many of the crowd were voicing their disappointment. My little group had our own post-match analysis just as many other fans must have had. Our conclusion - that we had expected too much of the new players; they did not perform as well as those we had lost and the outcome was that the passing game disintegrated. But on the positive side, this could be due to lack of experience, with Tadic and Pelle having to adapt to the Premier League, Long still the new boy, and the whole team having to adapt to the overall number of changes in the side. The clean sheet absolves the defence from criticism but perhaps the pre-season against lower level teams wasn't as testing as was needed. This performance could turn out to be a low point from which things can only get better.

In last season's win we had 62% possession, yesterday 58%, so not a huge difference.

The key difference was last season we had 18 attempts to their 4; Yesterday it was 8 each. For me we are, not surprisingly, missing the fluidity in possession we showed last year.

I have faith the Ron knows what he's doing and his work on the training ground will rectify that.

Onwards and upwards.