Saints 0-0 WBA - Post Match Thread

Batman

Haven't read the thread yet but I thought yesterday's game was a credit to the role both teams destroyers (Vic and Mulumbu) had on the game, they negated the creative side of both teams game.

Yesterday felt like new players playing in a newer system and not completely gelling. Thought Dusan has silky skills and Fraser again impressive, didn't really notice our CBs which reflects well but thought our wingbacks didn't get much chance going forward. Possession looked scrappy and at certain points it was a case of pass it to half way then lump it to pelle up front who I think is better than the 1st 2 games. Think JWP is ok but would prefer Gaston in that role when fit at the moment as he is a real goal threat, stick Long in the right attacker role because with Davies and JWP we are going to see even less goals.

Now to read the thread

Don't do it mate, it'll have you slitting your wrists. If you are to do so it might be worth attaching a post it note to the side of your screen to remind you we didn't lose and kept a clean sheet by way of protection from the complete lack of proportion therein.

Surely if fans see a player who is shocking they have a right to voice their opinion ?

They are not a joke .... Just may be the player who can't control a ball and who is in tens is thousands a week could be the joke ! Don't knock the fans - knock the player!

the problem is that is it a vicious circle, the more they jeer the more the player feels down and the performance gets worse. We are all losers then. It strikes me this is like the Fuller situation, where he joined and fans didn't rate him and made things worse.He went off and did well elsewhere. Crouch had the same s### .

Pits not the players fault, you should be looking up to the directors box, that's where our dreams faltered

You talk as if Koeman is this great world manager. He has had mixed successes, hence why he is at saints in the first place

As for pelle. You would have thought people would have been wary of eriedivsie strikers by now.

You must be talking about guys like Van Nistelroy, Van Persie, Bergkamp, Hasselbank and Suarez then ??

Haven't read the thread yet but I thought yesterday's game was a credit to the role both teams destroyers (Vic and Mulumbu) had on the game, they negated the creative side of both teams game.

Yesterday felt like new players playing in a newer system and not completely gelling. Thought Dusan has silky skills and Fraser again impressive, didn't really notice our CBs which reflects well but thought our wingbacks didn't get much chance going forward. Possession looked scrappy and at certain points it was a case of pass it to half way then lump it to pelle up front who I think is better than the 1st 2 games. Think JWP is ok but would prefer Gaston in that role when fit at the moment as he is a real goal threat, stick Long in the right attacker role because with Davies and JWP we are going to see even less goals.

Now to read the thread

Agree with that but one exception i am not going to read any more of the thread than i have

as it is going to be as expected...

Read RK`s comment on OS they sum it up properly

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/23082014-ronald-koeman-post-west-bromwich-albion-home-1861773.aspx

Far too cautious after a bright start. Our back four sat too deep and we rarely looked interested in getting into the final third. I wonder if this is how teams play that are managed by a deep former defensive player, obsessed by clean sheets and not conceding so all adventure disappears as the game wears on - pass back or square and you can't be criticised for giving the ball away or being caught forward and out of position?

The team is not settled and that is easy to see, it seems still that all is not well in the camp and the team are not playing as one. Is it Schneiderlin? He was better later in the game but to me never seem to be fully connected and if the rest of his colleagues sense this maybe part of the reason. He stropped off at the end and to a few of us in the Itchen we begin to wonder if we have landed ourselves with The Incredible Sulk? Until he gets his own way that is?

Ok you can't blame him for everything and I wouldn't put it all down to missing Lallana as there were times when he was totally useless and ineffective as well.

Far too early to take that blond haired pr.ick on MotD seriously, I'm more worried about the BBC's judgement than Ron's at this stage.

When and which area of the pitch did the booing occur ?

Heard quite a bit of sarcastic applause when Pelle won a header in Block 38 Kingsland/Northam corner. Was happening after about 30 mins it seemed. It is literally his first competitive game at home for us, and although it was a genuinely poor performance, what a terrible welcome for the lad.

Duncan , I didn't hear anyone booing pelle .

Their number 15 was being booed , but not our players . And I was wearing my hearing aids . And I was sat in the next block along from you . I did come to say hi to derry and Weston at half time

I agree he was somewhat sluggish at times but he will come good for us .

But i was not there! I was in Hospitality. I could here the jeers on the odd occasion when Pelle managed to head a ball. I thought he was very ineffective but perhaps he will find his feet and timing as the season proceeds.

Re Pelle. He had a terrible first half, but I thought was much, much better second half. Started winning a lot more in the air. The addition of Long may have been part of the reason. Their defense had more to think about. He can certainly look clumsy when he misfires, but I believe he will come into his own after a few more games.

Among the +ves, I don't think big Vic has had enough recognition. It's not just his physical presence. His speed and skills are something to behold. A couple of turns away from trouble were just fantastic.

The game was certainly disappointing, but there were several last year that felt similar. If JWP's spectacular free kick had been 6 inches further right, we'd all be telling a different story this morning.

Re Pelle. He had a terrible first half, but I thought was much, much better second half. Started winning a lot more in the air. The addition of Long may have been part of the reason. Their defense had more to think about. He can certainly look clumsy when he misfires, but I believe he will come into his own after a few more games.

Among the +ves, I don't think big Vic has had enough recognition. It's not just his physical presence. His speed and skills are something to behold. A couple of turns away from trouble were just fantastic.

The game was certainly disappointing, but there were several last year that felt similar. If JWP's spectacular free kick had been 6 inches further right, we'd all be telling a different story this morning.

pelle needs to be given time. Too many expect him to score straight away.Has he had a clear chance yet?

As for Wanyama, I have seen how good he is all along, and praised him

I don't know what we expect from Pelle by playing him isolated against a huge donkey like Jonas Olsson, inviting a high line from them which totally negates his strengths. Big, strong defenders like Olsson can bat away high balls all day and it will be the same at Upton Park. We needed runners from midfield yesterday and only got them on the couple of occasions that Schneiderlin got forward. Pelle looked much better when we got him to the 18 yard line, which is where he belongs.

Disappointed that Long didn't provide that running but a new winger might help in that department, and Rodriguez certainly will.

I don't know what we expect from Pelle by playing him isolated against a huge donkey like Jonas Olsson, inviting a high line from them which totally negates his strengths. We needed runners from midfield and didn't get them. Pelle looked much better when we got him to the 18 yard line, which is where he belongs.

Disappointed that Long didn't provide that running but a new winger might help in that department, and Rodriguez certainly will.

Olson is a decent defender, he has kept many good attackers in his pocket over the years.

In last season's win we had 62% possession, yesterday 58%, so not a huge difference.

The key difference was last season we had 18 attempts to their 4; Yesterday it was 8 each. For me we are, not surprisingly, missing the fluidity in possession we showed last year.

I have faith the Ron knows what he's doing and his work on the training ground will rectify that.

Onwards and upwards.

That 58% is amazing as it didn't look like that to me and my pals while watching. So many passes seemed to go astray. Koeman's comments indicated he wasn't satisfied either so perhaps the stats numbers are a bit of a blunt instrument.

Heard quite a bit of sarcastic applause when Pelle won a header in Block 38 Kingsland/Northam corner. Was happening after about 30 mins it seemed. It is literally his first competitive game at home for us, and although it was a genuinely poor performance, what a terrible welcome for the lad.

I think when you have signed an expensive player who is 6 foot six you expect he might be able to hold off the physical attention he receives. Maybe we expected he would look interested and apply himself. He didnt look like a striker , didnt behave like a striker

He got little service but he didnt look hungry.

His track record is average . He wont score 20 goals thats for certain. On the bright side for him he did manage to buy a Ferrari last week

Osvaldo, Gaston Ramirez the star of the treatment room is Pelle going to join them as expensive flops

Heres a bet for you Pelle wont score in the next four matches

We will all be jeering him by October

I think when you have signed an expensive player who is 6 foot six you expect he might be able to hold off the physical attention he receives. Maybe we expected he would look interested and apply himself. He didnt look like a striker , didnt behave like a striker

His track record is average . He wont score 20 goals thats for certain. On the bright side for him he did manage to buy a Ferrari last week

Osvaldo, Gaston Ramirez the star of the treatment room is Pelle going to join them as expensive flops

This is all FACT.. or not

But i was not there! I was in Hospitality. I could here the jeers on the odd occasion when Pelle managed to head a ball. I thought he was very ineffective but perhaps he will find his feet and timing as the season proceeds.

Hi Weston, I hung about for a 5 minutes assuming you were out for a pint or a pie , so didn't get to say hello to you all

I heard the odd sarcastic cheer , but not booing ,

The ref was too quick on his whistle and didn't allow the game to flow , that added to a dire game as well .

As for the ten yards pacing . I watched him and some times he took short steps and some times long steps

. I'm not convinced the ten yards rule is accurate . As all the refs have different and inconsistent leg strides . .

They need an accurate gadget to measure it out correctly .

He wont score 20 goals thats for certain.

Brilliant. 20 goal strikers cost a lot more than 8 million and we can't afford them. Good to hear you'll be jeering him though in October as that is going to massively help him and i'm sure he'll appreciate it.

Utter mongs on here

If I'm honest, his showing was very worrying. He didn't show any ability to be able to win the ball, the timing of all of his jumps were all out. When he did win it, his touch gave it away or it was headed into no-mans land. It's still early days and the jeering is an absolute joke, but there is a slight reason to be worried. I hoped by now I'd have seen some sort of attributes, ability, presence from him - but there's been nothing so far.

We may well have been spoiled for the last 5 years with a proper target man, but let's hope we've not gone from 1 extreme to the other!

We did not concede a goal and we had Yoshida playing.

We're already improving.

1 Sep.... Winger,striker, centre back. Judgment day. 23rd August? A whole week of transfers away from the team we need. I'm sure the Boardroom will not fail Koeman.

Edited by SaintRobbie

If you read my two posts above you'll find that I agree with your evaluation of him. He was terrible. But jeering after 30 mins? What do you think that actually achieves, especially on a home debut?

Why every year do Saints fans do this? We sign a player and after two games we have completely right them off. 9 times out of 10 they show you up and you are made to look like the mongs that you are.

I'm 100 percent sure all the Boruc lovers hated him after the water bottle incident, same ones that said Jay Rod was poor in his first season, same ones that think Billy Sharp is better than Diego Costa, same ones that think football is exactly like FIFA and players should be able to change leagues, styles and tempos instantly and score 6 goals in 2 games and the same ones that went bat**** mental when Adkins was sacked.

He will get 8 - 12 goals this year, give him time.

The beauty of the internet is we can re-post all your negative comments about a player once he proves you wrong.

Davis was best used under Poch as a CAM, play him there until Gaston is back and let those two fight it out for that spot. Drop JWP for now at least, not strong or quick enough to escape challenges and move the ball on, which is key for a no.10, was bullied by Mulumbu yesterday

Pelle was booed by a few at the back of the Northam, take it from me as I winced when I heard it and so did others.

I have to say though not only was he poor, immobile and isolated he didn't show any great desire. It is early days but I remember watching the young Kevin Davies come on for his debut at home to Bolton and within a few minutes a dip of the shoulder and a surging run at the defence and his career was off and running.

As Pelle sat enjoying his meal (at Limewood) last night, I wonder if one of his comments went along these lines, "Tell me, is it usual for some supporters to jerr the clubs new player on his home debut? Is it a special type of greeting?"

"No Grazino, there are idiots in every stadium in the land".

I have to be honest, it was poor to hear it.

Brilliant. 20 goal strikers cost a lot more than 8 million and we can't afford them. Good to hear you'll be jeering him though in October as that is going to massively help him and i'm sure he'll appreciate it.

Utter mongs on here

Just to put you straight in the absence of strikers and with no guarantee Rodriguez is going to get back to his best any month soon Pelle has to deliver

I didnt jeer him that came from the Northam but if he plays like that jeer him or not he will be no use to Saints.

Normally when you see a new striker you see something about him which is encouraging. That was not the case yesterday.

He cant win a ball in the air, he is incredibly slow and he was bossed by WBA add to that his first touch was shocking

Apart from that hes just what we need , should be okay when we are in the Championship

Why every year do Saints fans do this? We sign a player and after two games we have completely right them off. 9 times out of 10 they show you up and you are made to look like the mongs that you are.

I'm 100 percent sure all the Boruc lovers hated him after the water bottle incident, same ones that said Jay Rod was poor in his first season, same ones that think Billy Sharp is better than Diego Costa, same ones that think football is exactly like FIFA and players should be able to change leagues, styles and tempos instantly and score 6 goals in 2 games and the same ones that went bat**** mental when Adkins was sacked.

He will get 8 - 12 goals this year, give him time.

The beauty of the internet is we can re-post all your negative comments about a player once he proves you wrong.

He was a huge disappointment, no actually crap

Utter T**t - with supporters such as this how can a new blend of players be expected to gain confidence this early in the season in pursuit of gelling and inspiring each other. Pelle may or may not have it to be successful in the EPL,but give the guy a chance.

We did not concede a goal and we had Yoshida playing.

We're already improving.

1 Sep.... Winger,striker, centre back. Judgment day. 23rd August? A whole week of transfers away from the team we need. I'm sure the Boardroom will not fail Koeman.

This....

Hi Weston, I hung about for a 5 minutes assuming you were out for a pint or a pie , so didn't get to say hello to you all

I heard the odd sarcastic cheer , but not booing ,

The ref was too quick on his whistle and didn't allow the game to flow , that added to a dire game as well .

As for the ten yards pacing . I watched him and some times he took short steps and some times long steps

. I'm not convinced the ten yards rule is accurate . As all the refs have different and inconsistent leg strides . .

They need an accurate gadget to measure it out correctly .

Hi Mike, John and I were in our usual seats. I nipped out just before half time but was back about a minute after.

To those bemoaning yesterday, I seem to remember us nearly losing to Sunderland and getting a "Hail Mary" equaliser at the end. Yesterday was a poor selection. Pelle needs runners from behind and beside him. Davis and JWP along with Wanyama and Schneiderlin just circulate the ball. The tempo was slow and WBA nearly always had eleven men goal side. Even Clyne and Bertrand were getting most of their possession facing their own goal. I think Koeman is trying to change things but is trying not to upset the equilibrium by radical changes, however I think he found yesterday he just has to change things.

It would surprise me now if he doesn't use the runners and ball carriers behind Pelle. Tadic, Long, Ramirez, Taider, Isgrove rather than Davis and JWP. Be interesting to see who else we bring in. I think a quick ball carrier is a priority.

To those bemoaning yesterday, I seem to remember us nearly losing to Sunderland and getting a "Hail Mary" equaliser at the end. Yesterday was a poor selection. Pelle needs runners from behind and beside him. Davis and JWP along with Wanyama and Schneiderlin just circulate the ball. The tempo was slow and WBA nearly always had eleven men goal side. Even Clyne and Bertrand were getting most of their possession facing their own goal. I think Koeman is trying to change things but is trying not to upset the equilibrium by radical changes, however I think he found yesterday he just has to change things.

It would surprise me now if he doesn't use the runners and ball carriers behind Pelle. Tadic, Long, Ramirez, Taider, Isgrove rather than Davis and JWP. Be interesting to see who else we bring in. I think a quick ball carrier is a priority.

Just a bit more zip with he ball required, also IMO.

too many times we passed it around with our back 5.

I also think forster played it to a defender every single time. which then resulted in a very slow passing around the back

Maybe, that was down to WBA. But last season we had the knack of getting around that a great deal better

As Pelle sat enjoying his meal (at Limewood) last night, I wonder if one of his comments went along these lines, "Tell me, is it usual for some supporters to jerr the clubs new player on his home debut? Is it a special type of greeting?"

"No Grazino, there are idiots in every stadium in the land".

I have to be honest, it was poor to hear it.

I doubt he heard it. I heard nothing from the Northam yesterday (one OWTS apart). Quiet as doormice. Good job the Baggies made some noise otherwise I would have thought I had gone deaf.

the problem is that is it a vicious circle, the more they jeer the more the player feels down and the performance gets worse. We are all losers then. It strikes me this is like the Fuller situation, where he joined and fans didn't rate him and made things worse.He went off and did well elsewhere. Crouch had the same s### .

Pits not the players fault, you should be looking up to the directors box, that's where our dreams faltered

Fair comment though I certainly don't recall Crouch being jeered....