a chat on the sofa with Katharina on Saturday

Fitzhugh Fella

Before the game on Saturday the three of us that make up Hagiology were introduced to our owner, Katharina Liebherr, when presenting her with a specially bound copy of "All the Saints" and I got the chance to have a little chat while sitting on the sofa in the Le Tissier suite. She was charming, very unassuming and friendly and confessed she had never watched football before 2009 but was now gradually picking up on what the game was all about. She also said she didn't understand all the chants from the Northam but she certainly recognised the one about her father.

She really was very pleasant and chatty. Gary also brought her up to speed why Harry was going to get booed during the match. He also asked her who her favourite current player was but she skipped the question with a smile. For us it has been very gratifying how she and Ralph Krueger have embraced the history of the club by attaching such importance to our work. To be fair to Rupert Lowe he did too although the last time I was invited to the board room to meet the club's directors following a book's publication was in 1987 with Alan Woodward. The same year we last beat Arsenal.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/11500910.Katharina_Liebherr_keen_to_read_more_about_Saints_legend_Matt_Le_Tissier_/?ref=fbshr

Edited by Fitzhugh Fella

Yes, when we actually gave her the book, she wanted to see what was written about Matt and the photographer picked up on it.

What does the book say about Graham Lovett who played on Loan from WBA after breaking his leg the worst player I have ever seen in Saints colours mind you I only saw him once

Nice to see she is interested in the history and showing willingness to turn up to games and learn all aspects of the club.

I think the only people who thought she WASN'T interested in the club, were those who wrote in every day that she was going to asset-strip the club and then sell it !

I'm prepared to believe that she didn't know too much about football, or Saints from the beginning, but she certainly seems to have learned a lot more since.

When someone tells me that she really understand the off-side rule, I'll know she's making a lot of progress......as there still seem to be a lot of players who don't.

What does the book say about Graham Lovett who played on Loan from WBA after breaking his leg the worst player I have ever seen in Saints colours mind you I only saw him once

Very unlucky player Lovett, he had two serious road accidents incurring a dislocated back and multiple fractures from which he never recovered. He came to Saints on loan in an effort to rejuvenate his career but only played three games before returning to the Hawthorns.

Duncan, your invite to meet her fits in with her and the board wanting to re engage with the history of the club by inviting ex players (Ex Saints have 5 Presidential Suite tickets for the season to act as ambassadors) Le Tissier in the directors box for the Newcastle game, Benali given the half time slot in the stadium following his magnificent run and one of my friends, who has provided much of the sign writing of the club over many years, invited, with his son, into the Directors box for the Newcastle game as a thanks for the years of service.

I think we may safely say that although we have a private owner who can do what she likes, she seems to be acting in a way that supporters can say "we have our club back" Long may it continue.

Before the game on Saturday the three of us that make up Hagiology were introduced to our owner, Katharina Liebherr, when presenting her with a specially bound copy of "All the Saints" and I got the chance to have a little chat while sitting on the sofa in the Le Tissier suite. She was charming, very unassuming and friendly and confessed she had never watched football before 2009 but was now gradually picking up on what the game was all about. She also said she didn't understand all the chants from the Northam but she certainly recognised the one about her father.

She really was very pleasant and chatty. Gary also brought her up to speed why Harry was going to get booed during the match. He also asked her who her favourite current player was but she skipped the question with a smile. For us it has been very gratifying how she and Ralph Krueger have embraced the history of the club by attaching such importance to our work. To be fair to Rupert Lowe he did too although the last time I was invited to the board room to meet the club's directors following a book's publication was in 1987 with Alan Woodward. The same year we last beat Arsenal.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/11500910.Katharina_Liebherr_keen_to_read_more_about_Saints_legend_Matt_Le_Tissier_/?ref=fbshr

Did she mind about the how many times the C word was mentioned during the explanation?

Duncan, your invite to meet her fits in with her and the board wanting to re engage with the history of the club by inviting ex players (Ex Saints have 5 Presidential Suite tickets for the season to act as ambassadors) Le Tissier in the directors box for the Newcastle game, Benali given the half time slot in the stadium following his magnificent run and one of my friends, who has provided much of the sign writing of the club over many years, invited, with his son, into the Directors box for the Newcastle game as a thanks for the years of service.

I think we may safely say that although we have a private owner who can do what she likes, she seems to be acting in a way that supporters can say "we have our club back" Long may it continue.

Exactamundo Ron, why Cortese thought it fit to aggressively alienate virtually everbody god only knows. I agree there was some dead wood that needed cutting like too many freebies etc but he seemed to go out of his way to antagonise, bully and upset. I remember about 6 weeks after he arrived I was in the stadium at the invite of Andy Oldknow who was asking me about historical designs for the kit for our 125th season. I brought a photo of the sash strip and he was really made up. As I left the meeting I literally bumped into Cortese coming the other way (the only time I ever met him face to face) and he gave me the filthiest look as if I was walking dog crap through his best carpet. Never forgot that. He didn't know me from Adam...at the time. I knew it would end in tears and it did, but thank God, it was not he that owned us but the Liebherr family, without whose money he would have been where he was in the first place. We are very lucky to have a good honest owner who seemingly has integrity and who cares about the fans first and foremost. Plus she has picked a chairman who may not know a lot about football but he sure knows his PR when it comes to making popular gestures.

Edited by Fitzhugh Fella

Very unlucky player Lovett, he had two serious road accidents incurring a dislocated back and multiple fractures from which he never recovered. He came to Saints on loan in an effort to rejuvenate his career but only played three games before returning to the Hawthorns.

I saw all 3 games. Wasn't the loan for 1 month only

2-1 home win against "Dirty Leeds" with Brian O'Neil carried off. We thought Lovett was a good signing. However, after being stuffed 8-0 at Everton and 5-2 at home to ManU, I expect he couldn't wait to leave. He wasn't missed.

That all sounds good, did Kat give any indication of how aware she was of the abuse coming from sections of the fan base in the summer? Some of the disgraceful comments also used in the media (Ashton’s “dream-wrecker” article for example) and the fans that accused her of asset stripping, “Fat Kat” etc, I wouldn’t blame her for feeling very let down that the fans did not rally round and get behind her and the club, instead choosing to following the media line on the club being in crisis and a “meltdown”.

Hats off to her for what has been achieved, we are very very lucky to have owners like the Liebherrs when you look at the other mad men like Vincent Tan, Cellino, Hull City’s owner etc.

I feel very positive about the club at the moment, Koeman was a great appointment and the board should be enjoying this well deserved success so far.

That all sounds good, did Kat give any indication of how aware she was of the abuse coming from sections of the fan base in the summer? Some of the disgraceful comments also used in the media (Ashton’s “dream-wrecker” article for example) and the fans that accused her of asset stripping, “Fat Kat” etc, I wouldn’t blame her for feeling very let down that the fans did not rally round and get behind her and the club, instead choosing to following the media line on the club being in crisis and a “meltdown”.

Do you honestly think she cares?

She might do, who knows. The current set-up does seem to try and be a bit supporter focused.

Probably a post-Cortese patch up effort tbh. But I don't think she gives a stuff whether some people on a forum called her "Fat Kat" or not when she was making very unpopular decisions (which have now been rectified imo).

Probably a post-Cortese patch up effort tbh. But I don't think she gives a stuff whether some people on a forum called her "Fat Kat" or not when she was making very unpopular decisions (which have now been rectified imo).
Each to their own, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was taken to heart a bit, especially for someone that ha previously lived all their lives completely out of the spotlight. But ultimately, neither of us know, which I guess is why the quetion has been asked of someone that has met and spoken with her.

Great to see this and reinforces my view that the club is in very good hands. Glad now that I didn't join the bandwagon in the summer and although it is still early days it is gratifying to see messers Ashton, Smith, P Neville and Savage eating healthy slices of humble pie. Can't wait for the Sunderland game to come around and start out from Devon for another journey to SMS.

I laughed at this.... Often think of him because he was truly dreadful!

My favourite saying at the time - Lovette loves it muffing it... ;-).... Was Ted's era I think ? Wonder who scouted him:-)

Great Duncan.

At last recognition after all the hard work over the years with David and Gary. Dedication.

You guys are a credit to Southampton Football Club.

I don't ever think that Markus would have allowed Cortese to discard the history of the Club in the way he did.

Bet you never would have dreamed having that picture taken a year ago!!

I don't quite understand. Are you saying that the people posting nice things about Liebherr are not actually happy fans, but are paid employees of the team?

Years ago in the Lowe / Wilde era there was a concerted effort by the rival groups to influence fans through message boards.

A few favours, trips and freebies led to this message boards previous incarnation being in the pocket of one of the parties, the rival party hired some PR goons to post positive messages on his behalf and got rumbled by some IP address detective work.

Hence the 'plant' suspicion pervades in some posters.

You can't blame the club for conducting good PR, they should be, however a posters objectivity can be the cost.

Years ago in the Lowe / Wilde era there was a concerted effort by the rival groups to influence fans through message boards.

A few favours, trips and freebies led to this message boards previous incarnation being in the pocket of one of the parties, the rival party hired some PR goons to post positive messages on his behalf and got rumbled by some IP address detective work.

Hence the 'plant' suspicion pervades in some posters.

You can't blame the club for conducting good PR, they should be, however a posters objectivity can be the cost.

More Southampton history I did not know.