Lallana - Had To Leave - But Still Loves Us

Gemmel

This is the bit I disagree with. What gives a footballer the right to retire in their mid 30s, when most of us, who are doing jobs far more productive to society, well into their 70s? They can re-train, take up a youth coaching job, punditry, media work. There is an endless list of things to do after they retire, and many of those jobs still within football. So to use this as an excuse for players moving I find wildly inaccurate. Even then, earning 50k a week should be more than enough to set yourself up for life.

And for what it's worth, for the elite such as Messi, Ronaldo etc. I don't disagree that they have earned the right to retire at such a young age. What i think is most interesting is that for first time in football history, there will be a generation of mediocre footballers retiring as millionaires who, objectively, achieved very little in the game. Players such as Keiran Richardson. Yes there have been mediocre footballer retiring at young ages for decades, but never with this level of wealth at their disposal. My prediction is that there will be a serious rise in mental health problems for retired footballers who, despite having wads of cash, will be looking at the meaningless of their achievements and realising they still have another 50 years on this planet. At least with the rest of us when we realise how little we have achieved post retirement, we only have a few years till we are dead.

This. I've never understood this "short career" argument. Playing wise, perhaps, but it's not as if they drop dead the minute they stop. They can always get more normal jobs, as players of old used to do or, as you say, go into coaching, punditry, etc. The average Premier League salary is £1.6 million a year. In my lifetime, at my salary, I can expect to earn about that or less in 30 years. So even if they have a one-year career at the top flight, and never invest a penny, they'll earn enough to fund a normal person's lifestyle until they die. Problem is, they want a luxury lifestyle, not an ordinary one. But that's easily achieved. If you're getting £1.6 million in a short space of time, you can easily turn it into more with investments (see Robbie Fowler and his property empire). This idea they need to maximise their earning while they are still playing used to be true, but it's out of date now. Modern footballer salaries have rendered this argument invalid. Even average players earn enough for five lifetimes, and that's before they've invested and increased their net worth in other ways. Even if they are stupid enough to blow their money they can still get work – they just don't want to. The modern footballer is too proud to 'step down' to our level.

This. I've never understood this "short career" argument. Playing wise, perhaps, but it's not as if they drop dead the minute they stop. They can always get more normal jobs, as players of old used to do or, as you say, go into coaching, punditry, etc. The average Premier League salary is £1.6 million a year. In my lifetime, at my salary, I can expect to earn about that or less in 30 years. So even if they have a one-year career at the top flight, and never invest a penny, they'll earn enough to fund a normal person's lifestyle until they die. Problem is, they want a luxury lifestyle, not an ordinary one. But that's easily achieved. If you're getting £1.6 million in a short space of time, you can easily turn it into more with investments (see Robbie Fowler and his property empire). This idea they need to maximise their earning while they are still playing used to be true, but it's out of date now. Modern footballer salaries have rendered this argument invalid. Even average players earn enough for five lifetimes, and that's before they've invested and increased their net worth in other ways. Even if they are stupid enough to blow their money they can still get work – they just don't want to. The modern footballer is too proud to 'step down' to our level.

So its okay by you for footballers to try earn as much as they can from non-football things like Robbie Fowler does but not okay for them to try and earn as much as they can from being paid for playing football?

How does that work, then?

So its okay by you for footballers to try earn as much as they can from non-football things like Robbie Fowler does but not okay for them to try and earn as much as they can from being paid for playing football?

How does that work, then?

Actually, I don't think I claimed it wasn't okay, just that I don't accept the "short career" excuse. Call it what it is – greed.

Actually, I don't think I claimed it wasn't okay, just that I don't accept the "short career" excuse. Call it what it is – greed.

Is Robbie Fowler's property empire greed?

Was Clyne greedy to go from Palace to a bigger contract with us? Jay Rod from Burnley? Gardos? Mane? All these players earning perfectly living wages so absolutely no need for them join us, especially as you expect them all to retrain and work until they are 70 like the rest of us. All greed really, isn't it.

Was Clyne greedy to go from Palace to a bigger contract with us? Jay Rod from Burnley? Gardos? Mane? All these players earning perfectly living wages so absolutely no need for them join us, especially as you expect them all to retrain and work until they are 70 like the rest of us. All greed really, isn't it.

Yes, it is. Not sure the point you want to make. My point was that the old tired argument about maximising earnings over a short career is no longer relevant. That one comes from an era when players really did need to do that, but now they earn enough for a lifetime in a single year. The argument is still being made, repeatedly, but the game has moved on significantly. Le Tiss never made more than £4k a week, so he earned less in five years than even our average players are making every season now. He probably couldn't stretch his football earnings over a whole life, but that's no longer true in football.

I've always argued that if money is going into the game, it should go to the players, but the problem is that too much of it is going into the game, from the pockets of ordinary people. Also, as a fan of a 'smaller' club I have an interest in seeing wage rises curbed. I don't support an individual salary cap, but I'd like to see a team cap that the chairman then decides how to spend. That way they can still pay some players £250k a week if they want, but they'd have to balance it with cheaper players around them. Teams like ours can't compete with ones that can afford a whole squad of guys on £70k+ a week. I want to see things more competitive.

Yes, it is. Not sure the point you want to make. My point was that the old tired argument about maximising earnings over a short career is no longer relevant. That one comes from an era when players really did need to do that, but now they earn enough for a lifetime in a single year. The argument is still being made, repeatedly, but the game has moved on significantly. Le Tiss never made more than £4k a week, so he earned less in five years than even our average players are making every season now. He probably couldn't stretch his football earnings over a whole life, but that's no longer true in football.

I've always argued that if money is going into the game, it should go to the players, but the problem is that too much of it is going into the game, from the pockets of ordinary people. Also, as a fan of a 'smaller' club I have an interest in seeing wage rises curbed. I don't support an individual salary cap, but I'd like to see a team cap that the chairman then decides how to spend. That way they can still pay some players £250k a week if they want, but they'd have to balance it with cheaper players around them. Teams like ours can't compete with ones that can afford a whole squad of guys on £70k+ a week. I want to see things more competitive.

Not sure what point you are trying to make either.

Don't really see anything wrong with anyone trying to maximise their earnings from a job they do for as long as they are doing it. I've recently accepted a new job for more salary even though I could probably live perfectly well on my current salary so the reason for moving is not "valid" according to your measures.

And then you move off players and on to money going elsewhere, with the suggestion that little tiny Saints can't compete. Except, of course, we are in the top ten richest clubs in the country and easily in the top 50 (probably 30) in the world.

We are competing, we are in a league plenty of other clubs would kill to be in, and if we ever go down at some point we can steamroller other second tier clubs with wages and fees. We're well placed for Europe especially through winning a cup. We are competing big style. Enjoy it.

He's at it again. Apparently Chambers was 'Magnificent' last night, in a game that would not have been 'easy' for him. Ok then.

The full-back only made his top-flight debut for Saints at the start of last term, but his rapid progress since then has not surprised his former captain.

''I knew it was a matter of time before he possibly moved on or went to a big, big club,'' Lallana said.

''It hasn't surprised me at all how quickly and how well he's started.''

here is lallana after last nhttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2787858/calum-chambers-rapid-progression-no-surprise-says-adam-lallana-expects-arsenal-defender-england-regular.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490ight .Sorry if its already posted.He really is a *****

wow....the little c**k can not stop digging can he? Since when has this big mouth, thick as pig s**T twerp became a self-styled 'rent a quote' idiot.

Weston - what on earth has happened to him? He seemed to be a decent guy until he got into the England squad and now he is billy big b*****ks

wow....the little c**k can not stop digging can he? Since when has this big mouth, thick as pig s**T twerp became a self-styled 'rent a quote' idiot.

Weston - what on earth has happened to him? He seemed to be a decent guy until he got into the England squad and now he is billy big b*****ks

Billy Big B*****ks is exactly what Clattenberg called him if I remember correctly? :)

He is truely a conceited arrogant person..... Cannot believe his self importance and belittling of the club that made him.

May he suffer poor form ignominy. I used love going to see him but have zero respect for him now... Enjoy the money mate but you have earnt no respect from people who cheered your name before your move to a 'big' club.

Well done !!!!!!!!

Not the best human being. I suggest you look up a new word in the dictionary... Modesty

Not sure what point you are trying to make either.

Don't really see anything wrong with anyone trying to maximise their earnings from a job they do for as long as they are doing it. I've recently accepted a new job for more salary even though I could probably live perfectly well on my current salary so the reason for moving is not "valid" according to your measures.

And then you move off players and on to money going elsewhere, with the suggestion that little tiny Saints can't compete. Except, of course, we are in the top ten richest clubs in the country and easily in the top 50 (probably 30) in the world.

We are competing, we are in a league plenty of other clubs would kill to be in, and if we ever go down at some point we can steamroller other second tier clubs with wages and fees. We're well placed for Europe especially through winning a cup. We are competing big style. Enjoy it.

Seriously, we can't compete with your Chelsea,'s, City's, United's; even Arsenals on a monetary basis. There is zero competition if you include us in that group.

Seriously, we can't compete with your Chelsea,'s, City's, United's; even Arsenals on a monetary basis. There is zero competition if you include us in that group.

Well, I don't. We're not Manchester United or Arsenal and never will be. Get over it.

I had a long chat with his Father last evening. I am going to keep the conversation private but Adam is aware of some supporters views.

He still has a great love for Saints and is very aware of what the club did for him over many years.

This will be my last post on the subject of Adam Lallana. I am a Saints supporter and would rather concentrate on players in our team, not those who have left for Liverpool, Man Utd or Arsenal.

I had a long chat with his Father last evening. I am going to keep the conversation private but Adam is aware of some supporters views.

He still has a great love for Saints and is very aware of what the club did for him over many years.

This will be my last post on the subject of Adam Lallana. I am a Saints supporter and would rather concentrate on players in our team, not those who have left for Liverpool, Man Utd or Arsenal.

Hopefully he is aware of the negative views and how his actions have fostered those opinions. His public comments suggest otherwise.

If Adam was concerned about supporters views ( which he clearly is) then why was he saying to foreign fans that he hoped to sign for liverpool, signing their shirts when still a saints player etc

He only cares now due to the bad press in this area he has

Look at shaw, obviously not the brightest lad but kept his head down, kept quiet and got on with it. I. Public, remained a saint till the end

That was an 18 year old, with a world record move to Man United to deal with

If Adam was concerned about supporters views ( which he clearly is) then why was he saying to foreign fans that he hoped to sign for liverpool, signing their shirts when still a saints player etc

He only cares now due to the bad press in this area he has

Look at shaw, obviously not the brightest lad but kept his head down, kept quiet and got on with it. I. Public, remained a saint till the end

That was an 18 year old, with a world record move to Man United to deal with

This. Adam Lallana could have left with his head held high and with the support of most fans - but he blew it.

For a 26 year old, he made far too many avoidable mistakes, effing the club off and also most fans. For a loyal (he was loyal) and key player throughout our rise to manage to get himself a one line cursory official goodbye from the club he served so well reflects very poorly on him.

The affair was, however, the source of the meltdowners favourite anecdote, so I for one will be forever grateful that his phone calls went un-returned. Oh, the humanity.

Adam must have inherited his lack of brains from his Father. I'm pretty sure if I was acting like a complete idiot, the old man would damn well tell me, whatever age I was.

Adam must have inherited his lack of brains from his Father. I'm pretty sure if I was acting like a complete idiot, the old man would damn well tell me, whatever age I was.

Look, most of us agree that AL has been a twonk, but let's just leave the insults where they belong? Too far.

Ron - You keep posting **** like this. We know you know his old man, we know through, cricket you knew some of the old crowd,

You keep saying this is your last post on the subject...... Stick to your word

OK so your last post about him.

Why can't you see that every time he opens his mouth that he makes a festering situation worse. Sorry but he is a real virgin (pure c**t)

Well put.... Of course he shows a complete lack of respect for those who helped and supported him in his past so I wouldn't be surprised if he is wiser than to take advice from family.....!!!

A more self possessed human being would surely be quite difficult to find.

I hope he feels good about himself and sleeps easy at night knowing he has contributed to life so unselfishly and modestly during his day!

Have searched my vocabulary extensively for a word to describe him but have drawn the conclusion that a phrase of worthy content has not been invented yet....

Sanctimonious cretin is the best I could find....

Well put.... Of course he shows a complete lack of respect for those who helped and supported him in his past so I wouldn't be surprised if he is wiser than to take advice from family.....!!!

A more self possessed human being would surely be quite difficult to find.

I hope he feels good about himself and sleeps easy at night knowing he has contributed to life so unselfishly and modestly during his day!

Have searched my vocabulary extensively for a word to describe him but have drawn the conclusion that a phrase of worthy content has not been invented yet....

Sanctimonious cretin is the best I could find....

:lol:

Ron - You keep posting **** like this. We know you know his old man, we know through, cricket you knew some of the old crowd,

You keep saying this is your last post on the subject...... Stick to your word

He said he was Leaving the forum and then a couple of weeks later he is back so he isn't exactly a man of his word.