Lallana - Had To Leave - But Still Loves Us

Gemmel

I agree with most of your sentiments except the bit about the club sticking by him etc etc. Let's face it if they didn't think he was good enough they would have shipped him out him quick enough, especially if Cortese was in charge. Look at how Bernard, Sharp and Lee were quickly put out to pasture once we had no further need of them.

Absolutely this, always enjoy fans frothing at the mouth about players wanting to leave for bigger things whilst simultaneously whinging that the club isn't showing enough ambition by getting rid of "deadwood" players.

Lallana is an idiot. Is he really thick or does he truly believe what comes out of his mouth?

I think it is quite clear he is not the brightest but why does he keep digging his hole deeper and deeper.

However, for those saying he showed no loyalty, etc. - there is no such thing (except fans) in football and we got 25 million for him. Which has been used to strengthen our squad quite significantly.

So he gets his "dream move" and we get a stronger squad.

Need to let it go - he's gone, he has done himself no credit but we march on.

That sums it up better than I managed to :)

"I'm absolutely delighted," said Lallana. "To commit my future to the Club for the next five years is something I'm really happy about.

"I can't wait to work with the new management team and the lads to continue our progress in the Premier League. It was an easy decision for me with the direction the Club is going in.

"I've been at the Club since I was 12 and – being honest – I can only see my future lying with Southampton Football Club.

"If someone was to say that I'd end my career playing for Southampton in the Premier League then I'd snap your hand off for it.

Wow, he must be the first person ever to change their mind about something in the face of drastically altered circumstances...!

He really needs some help when it comes to the media! Once again an opportunity has been wasted by Adam.

He could have left in the right manner & still have been highly regarded, the same as SRL. He handled the situation badly.

He could have gone some way to redeem the situation with his Echo page but just made it worse with that

awful picture and a couple of lines of carp.

Once again a decent article only infuriates the situation with his crass comment about Clyne now having more options.

Adam some advise, you were caught in the middle of a perfect storm, but that doesn't excuse your crass comments,

I suggest you let sleeping dogs lie, don't mention Saints or anything to do with us in future.

In time we will remember what you contributed, not the way you left.

Wow, he must be the first person ever to change their mind about something in the face of drastically altered circumstances...!

Only Rickie had left by the time he did and we had upgraded the manager from an Argie best known for bringing down Owen in the World Cup to a guy who has a playing pedigree that would be pretty hard to beat. Actually there was another lie. Adam was looking forward to speaking to Koeman. Presumably that conversation consisted of the word "Bye"

Change your mind yes, lie through your teeth and kick up like a small child no !

I agree with most of your sentiments except the bit about the club sticking by him etc etc. Let's face it if they didn't think he was good enough they would have shipped him out him quick enough, especially if Cortese was in charge. Look at how Bernard, Sharp and Lee were quickly put out to pasture once we had no further need of them.

Barnard?

F**k him, it still smacks of arrogance. How dare we be upset that he mugged us off. Can't stand the odious little cretin.

Remember with fondness. Up yours.

Considering that at the time LALA left the club was in PR meltdown it was pretty astute of someone with the different website reactions to the players leaving. More inclined to believe the clubs reaction, he hit hard at someone in the club, do we believe Les and Co were being petty ?

He should do as most players do when they move on, they make one statement with platitudes and then don't mention the old club again, so someones hurt and feels the need to keep digging, either a journo who's lost a local source or its LALA, just wish the DE would ignore him

Only Rickie had left by the time he did and we had upgraded the manager from an Argie best known for bringing down Owen in the World Cup to a guy who has a playing pedigree that would be pretty hard to beat. Actually there was another lie. Adam was looking forward to speaking to Koeman. Presumably that conversation consisted of the word "Bye"

Change your mind yes, lie through your teeth and kick up like a small child no !

This. I remember Gabby Logan interviewing him when he was in Brazil, before the first game. "So, lots going on back at Southampton, have you spoken to your new manager, Ronald Koeman yet? ". "No", says Adam, looking a little embarrassed, "oh, but (now smiling) I have called Mauricio and wished him well though!" Arse

"that will leave him with options"

go adam!!!!

Best case scenario from that statement: Adam is trying to justify the way he acted by implying that all professional footballers would have done the same thing

Worst case scenario: Liverpool's famous right back issues are already being worked on in the England camp.

It's been a rare privilege for me to witness Adam's growth and development into the exceptional young player he is today and when he left us it saddened me far more than when any of the others departed last summer. I'll make no bones about it, I wish he had stayed and spent his entire adult career playing here like a latter day MLT.

However unlike some on here I just can't transmute my sense of disappointment with what has happened into a active dislike of a player who has given me so much. Like others I often struggle to share in the bards opinion that parting can indeed be such 'sweet sorrow' but wherever Adam's chosen career path takes him in my mind he will always remain 'one of ours' and I wish him well.

Perhaps supporting young players can be akin to form of parenthood - it hurts like hell but there comes a time when you just have to let them go.

It's been a rare privilege for me to witness Adam's growth and development into the exceptional young player he is today and when he left us it saddened me far more than when any of the others departed last summer. I'll make no bones about it, I wish he had stayed and spent his entire adult career playing here like a latter day MLT.

However unlike some on here I just can't transmute my sense of disappointment with what has happened into a active dislike of a player who has given me so much. Like others I often struggle to share in the bards opinion that parting can indeed be such 'sweet sorrow' but wherever Adam's chosen career path takes him in my mind he will always remain 'one of ours' and I wish him well.

Perhaps supporting young players can be akin to form of parenthood - it hurts like hell but there comes a time when you just have to let them go.

Agree with this. AL is definitely one of my all-time favourite Southampton players, even if the manner of his exit was disappointing.

I tend to agree with this. Why should I get bitter and twisted about Alan Lallana and spoil the memory of the last 5 years. Footballers have a short career which can be ended at any time so like everyone else they are looking for the best deal they can get. We are all the same be it job, broadband, insurance or fuel. No one stays loyal to Tesco if they can get their groceries cheaper else where. Did he make a good decision ? financially probably yes, but in my opinon only Chelsea or City can win the league or in Europe, perhaps United in a few years so what will be his legacy? He may play in a few Champions league games and Liverpool might win a cup but it will only seem like a consolation prize for them. He will never be revered like Bobby Stokes or the 1976 Southampton team. For us though the reality is that he is gone, whether he and the others did things badly or not makes no difference we have a new team now and we march on. As fans we can only take one season at a time and support the team we have. Football is so fast changing that it will not be the same team next season or the season after that.It might be better or worse but don't get to love any 1 player too much because sooner or later you know he's going to leave.

I tend to agree with this. Why should I get bitter and twisted about Alan Lallana and spoil the memory of the last 5 years. Footballers have a short career which can be ended at any time so like everyone else they are looking for the best deal they can get. We are all the same be it job, broadband, insurance or fuel. No one stays loyal to Tesco if they can get their groceries cheaper else where. Did he make a good decision ? financially probably yes, but in my opinon only Chelsea or City can win the league or in Europe, perhaps United in a few years so what will be his legacy? He may play in a few Champions league games and Liverpool might win a cup but it will only seem like a consolation prize for them. He will never be revered like Bobby Stokes or the 1976 Southampton team. For us though the reality is that he is gone, whether he and the others did things badly or not makes no difference we have a new team now and we march on. As fans we can only take one season at a time and support the team we have. Football is so fast changing that it will not be the same team next season or the season after that.It might be better or worse but don't get to love any 1 player too much because sooner or later you know he's going to leave.

This is the bit I disagree with. What gives a footballer the right to retire in their mid 30s, when most of us, who are doing jobs far more productive to society, well into their 70s? They can re-train, take up a youth coaching job, punditry, media work. There is an endless list of things to do after they retire, and many of those jobs still within football. So to use this as an excuse for players moving I find wildly inaccurate. Even then, earning 50k a week should be more than enough to set yourself up for life.

And for what it's worth, for the elite such as Messi, Ronaldo etc. I don't disagree that they have earned the right to retire at such a young age. What i think is most interesting is that for first time in football history, there will be a generation of mediocre footballers retiring as millionaires who, objectively, achieved very little in the game. Players such as Keiran Richardson. Yes there have been mediocre footballer retiring at young ages for decades, but never with this level of wealth at their disposal. My prediction is that there will be a serious rise in mental health problems for retired footballers who, despite having wads of cash, will be looking at the meaningless of their achievements and realising they still have another 50 years on this planet. At least with the rest of us when we realise how little we have achieved post retirement, we only have a few years till we are dead.

We honoured their contracts didn't we?

Spot on. When a contract is signed there are two obvious obligations.

For the club to pay them (or buy them out by agreement) until the end of the contract irrespective of whether they make the first team

For the players to give his best, even though he may not feature for the first team, until the end of the contract

Realistically I accept that players may want to further their career for regular football or Champions League. In those circumstances it is desirable to shift before the contract runs out to secure a decent transfer fee. But transfers are subject to agreement of both the player and SFC It has to be the right club for the player and it has to be the right time and fee for SFC.

That said Lallana left us for a good fee. Good luck to him. I neither support him nor boo him.

This is the bit I disagree with. What gives a footballer the right to retire in their mid 30s, when most of us, who are doing jobs far more productive to society, well into their 70s? They can re-train, take up a youth coaching job, punditry, media work. There is an endless list of things to do after they retire, and many of those jobs still within football. So to use this as an excuse for players moving I find wildly inaccurate. Even then, earning 50k a week should be more than enough to set yourself up for life.

And for what it's worth, for the elite such as Messi, Ronaldo etc. I don't disagree that they have earned the right to retire at such a young age. What i think is most interesting is that for first time in football history, there will be a generation of mediocre footballers retiring as millionaires who, objectively, achieved very little in the game. Players such as Keiran Richardson. Yes there have been mediocre footballer retiring at young ages for decades, but never with this level of wealth at their disposal. My prediction is that there will be a serious rise in mental health problems for retired footballers who, despite having wads of cash, will be looking at the meaningless of their achievements and realising they still have another 50 years on this planet. At least with the rest of us when we realise how little we have achieved post retirement, we only have a few years till we are dead.

Yes they should work, but not all footballers make good pundits or coaches for that matter and there are too many chasing too few jobs. Can you really blame them for chasing the big money while they can? I think most people would do the same.

Whatever you do, don't apply for a job with the Samaritans.

Yes they should work, but not all footballers make good pundits or coaches for that matter and there are too many chasing too few jobs. Can you really blame them for chasing the big money while they can? I think most people would do the same.

I think they would, yes of course. I'm more against the idea of the constant framing of the argument that footballers need to set themselves up for life in a short period of time, as though the idea of any other career can not be contemplated and they will be left homeless and penniless. Because they do not 'need' to, and trying to screw as many people over while they try to do this should not be so easily tolerated.

I think they would, yes of course. I'm more against the idea of the constant framing of the argument that footballers need to set themselves up for life in a short period of time, as though the idea of any other career can not be contemplated and they will be left homeless and penniless. Because they do not 'need' to, and trying to screw as many people over while they try to do this should not be so easily tolerated.

Wise words indeed.

Analogies such as this are just so easy and convenient! ;)

I think the underhanded way he left, and failing to hand in a transfer request to ensure he kept as much cash as he could brings to mind a different analogy.

Perhaps some players are akin to a greedy spouse - They see a hotter prospect with a ton of cash that they want to bone, but still demand everything they can get in the way of alimony.

I think the underhanded way he left, and failing to hand in a transfer request to ensure he kept as much cash as he could brings to mind a different analogy.

Perhaps some players are akin to a greedy spouse - They see a hotter prospect with a ton of cash that they want to bone, but still demand everything they can get in the way of alimony.

Too right.

Can you really blame them for chasing the big money while they can? I think most people would do the same.

I think that in almost every other walk of life Lallana would have been considered to have achieved the "big money" when he signed a contract for (reputedly) £50k a week for 5 years at Saints. Only in modern day football is this perceived not to be the case.

Ok so he's not too good at choosing words, but he was good on the pitch. And I for one believe he does care about the club. That's why he gets in such akward pr situations becuase his career choice conflicts with his heart.

Slagging him because at one time he stated he wanted to stay with the club and later decided to leave is unreasonable. No-one would turn down a promotion (payrise) like that. MLT was unique, and there will not be a second MLT unless major reforms are made to proffesional football.

We should be glad a player with such abilities stayed with us when we were dangling in the lower leagues. Probably helped making him the player he is now. Still enjoy seeing him play, still proud he is a true Saints product and don't listen to all the waffle.

Does this mean that Adam is going to sneak off and give us 90 minutes for old times' sake when Liverpool aren't looking?

Bobby Stokes RIP, Skate from Paulsgrove, nothing Lallana did or ever could do will ever elevate him remotely close.

There was a time a few weeks ago where if he was on fire, and I had a glass of water, I would of glassed him. But as I watched him punch his chest and roar like he had just won the World Cup when he scored at the weekend, and the way he has presented himself to the media since he left, I now think I would drink the water and just watch him burn.

Ok so he's not too good at choosing words, but he was good on the pitch. And I for one believe he does care about the club. That's why he gets in such akward pr situations becuase his career choice conflicts with his heart.

Slagging him because at one time he stated he wanted to stay with the club and later decided to leave is unreasonable. No-one would turn down a promotion (payrise) like that. MLT was unique, and there will not be a second MLT unless major reforms are made to proffesional football.

We should be glad a player with such abilities stayed with us when we were dangling in the lower leagues. Probably helped making him the player he is now. Still enjoy seeing him play, still proud he is a true Saints product and don't listen to all the waffle.

What is your view on the captain of your football club dreaming of playing for the opposition?