Lallana - Had To Leave - But Still Loves Us

Gemmel

playing for England is the pinnacle of your career

He doesn't half contradict himself. So he left because of ambition, but he had already reached the pinnacle of his career while @ Saints. It seems he doesn't really take the time to think about what he is going to say before he says it, so not surprised that some of the things he says come out the wrong way. Lesson in all this is not to say anything in the first place.

"I'm absolutely delighted," said Lallana. "To commit my future to the Club for the next five years is something I'm really happy about.

"I can't wait to work with the new management team and the lads to continue our progress in the Premier League. It was an easy decision for me with the direction the Club is going in.

"I've been at the Club since I was 12 and – being honest – I can only see my future lying with Southampton Football Club.

"If someone was to say that I'd end my career playing for Southampton in the Premier League then I'd snap your hand off for it.

Yep - he said things that in the fullness of time he went back on - something that no poster on this Forum has ever done! Things change whether you want them to or not. Move on.

“That’s maybe why the reaction has been like that. They wanted me to stay so badly. But people have to make decisions in life. I am sure there are lot of people who understand why I made that decision.

“When people move for big sums of money to a team that will always be challenging for silverware that comes with added pressure. I’m dealing with it and enjoying it. I hope it pushes me on a notch. Working with the players at Liverpool and playing in elite competitions is only going to improve my game

'they wanted me to stay so badly' Arrogant pr ick

Also remind me apart from bottling the title when the last time Liverpool challenged for silverware was?

“That’s maybe why the reaction has been like that. They wanted me to stay so badly. But people have to make decisions in life. I am sure there are lot of people who understand why I made that decision.

“When people move for big sums of money to a team that will always be challenging for silverware that comes with added pressure. I’m dealing with it and enjoying it. I hope it pushes me on a notch. Working with the players at Liverpool and playing in elite competitions is only going to improve my game

'they wanted me to stay so badly' Arrogant pr ick

Also remind me apart from bottling the title when the last time Liverpool challenged for silverware was?

Their mighty league cup win.

Fans are so fickle. I can count on my two hands how many months ago that Lallana was a 'legend' and everyone loved him. Fans need to get over it. I have said it in previous threads- he has done what is best for him! I personally have no bad feeling and there is no way I believe ANYTHING I read in the press. Unless Adam is actually heard saying something it can be twisted and misconstrued however the press want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He does himself no favours at all, best to keep quiet. His arrogance is typical of an England player. He's digging himself a deeper hole and if anything, gone even lower in my opinion. He's just like your average Liverpool fan, holding onto former glory of the 80s, and the fact they were the luckiest team to ever win it. They've had their time.I would ****ing love it if we were to qualify for the Champions League in the next few years. As Morgan said it would be a 'bomb' in English football and upset the applecart. Anyways, l'm happy with our squad, we're better off without egos. I'm also happy for Adam to achieve his dream of getting a pasting from Real Madrid on another 'magical european night at anfield'. You may never walk alone, but you will always be a c***

Fans are so fickle. I can count on my two hands how many months ago that Lallana was a 'legend' and everyone loved him. Fans need to get over it. I have said it in previous threads- he has done what is best for him! I personally have no bad feeling and there is no way I believe ANYTHING I read in the press. Unless Adam is actually heard saying something it can be twisted and misconstrued however the press want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nothing to do with being fickle at all. Not sure why you can't see that.

He is respected in terms of his playing ability, you cannot belittle that and say we're better off without him - because we're not. The issue I have, and 99% of others have, is the complete and utter PR disasters he continues to have. He dug a good hole, which he's continuing to turn into a crater.

All throughout the summer it was PR disaster after PR disaster, pictured taking photos with L'pool fans at the WC, saying that seeing ''lallana'' will change the lives of the favela kids. And don't get me started on his Liverpool press release upon his joining, that was a complete PR mess and that created this hole in the first place, which was dug a bit deeper with his **** poor fan-kissing attempt in the Echo.

Unfortunately it seems as if he has acted like a complete moron head throughout the entire process, together with a serious lack of PR advice - and that's what gets our backs up.

Yep - he said things that in the fullness of time he went back on - something that no poster on this Forum has ever done! Things change whether you want them to or not. Move on.

But it wasn't "the fullness of time". It was relatively soon after AND what is more according to his quotes when he got to Liverpool, he was dreaming of leaving us to play for them when we played at Anfield, *only a few months* after his earlier 'stay for life' quote.

He was always my favourite player . I rated him even in the seasons when other thought he was rubbish. He's still a really good player, but he's also now shown himself to be a two-faced ****.

I will not dignify this with an answer

You just did!

But you're right that he's not a bad lad. He hasn't been accused of sexual assault or drink driving etc like so many other 'top' footballers , but what he has shown himself to be is just another money- grabber. Fair enough ...it's his life and his career, but he can't seriously expect to have it both ways and pretend also to be loyal or grateful ,or to love Saints. Or to get a good reception when he returns.

I will not dignify this with an answer

I'm not the one who flounced off in a huff vowing not to post on here again because some posters said some nasty things about Adam. Didn't take you long to return after the very public tantrum!

Edited by hypochondriac

Absolutely. He got into this mess because of bad PR and is better keeping quiet and let his football do the talking. He is not a bad lad, just not getting the right PR advice. However, the hatred on here is uncalled for.

Actually that's where you're totally wrong. This bloke is everything that's wrong with modern football. The club stuck by him when he was a nobody and needed heart surgery. The club stuck by him the first couple of years when he broke through but was struggling. The club gave him the honour of being the club captain despite still being young and was seen as a strange choice by many at the time. Very few other clubs would have shown him that sort of loyalty.

He signed that 5 year contract and his quotes are easily found. They were all lies. Even last season he was banging that badge at every opportunity he got, even doing it when he was "dreaming of playing for Liverpool". "Mr Southampton" was dreaming of playing for Liverpool. And then he ****s off at the first sniff of a bigger club being interested and does so by telling the club he's going on strike if they don't let him go. When a club goes through what we were this summer you expect the club captain, the man who said he'd bite your arm off to finish his career here, to show some ******** and a bit of leadership. Instead he behaved like vermin. And don't let anyone say it was about ambition as true ambition would have been to stay here and try to push this club into the champions league rather than taking a short cut to it. The move was about money. He pledged his loyalty to this club and then sold out for 30 pieces of silver.

I didn't really care about Lovren. His quotes were unnecessary and stupid but he is a mercenary footballer and has never claimed otherwise. But Lallana told everyone he was different and the truth is he's just as mercenary as the rest of them.

He lied when he signed his contract, he lied when he said he loved the club and he's lying to Simon Peach now as well about what he said to the club in the summer. He'll get a horrible reception when he returns, and the good thing is there will be a contrast on show when it's compared to Lambert's reception, a man who knows how to behave with some class.

I appreciate you're a family friend, but don't come on here making excuses for that rat. He knew exactly what he was doing

Breaking it down, he left for three things.

Money

Exposure

Champions League football (although that's really covered by exposure).

The bloke can't say that playing for Saints was keeping him out of the national team.

I would laugh my nipples off if we accidentally qualified for CL and Liverpool didn't*

* I have no expectation of nipple loss in the next 12 months

Actually that's where you're totally wrong. This bloke is everything that's wrong with modern football. The club stuck by him when he was a nobody and needed heart surgery. The club stuck by him the first couple of years when he broke through but was struggling. The club gave him the honour of being the club captain despite still being young and was seen as a strange choice by many at the time. Very few other clubs would have shown him that sort of loyalty.

He signed that 5 year contract and his quotes are easily found. They were all lies. Even last season he was banging that badge at every opportunity he got, even doing it when he was "dreaming of playing for Liverpool". "Mr Southampton" was dreaming of playing for Liverpool. And then he ****s off at the first sniff of a bigger club being interested and does so by telling the club he's going on strike if they don't let him go. When a club goes through what we were this summer you expect the club captain, the man who said he'd bite your arm off to finish his career here, to show some ******** and a bit of leadership. Instead he behaved like vermin. And don't let anyone say it was about ambition as true ambition would have been to stay here and try to push this club into the champions league rather than taking a short cut to it. The move was about money. He pledged his loyalty to this club and then sold out for 30 pieces of silver.

I didn't really care about Lovren. His quotes were unnecessary and stupid but he is a mercenary footballer and has never claimed otherwise. But Lallana told everyone he was different and the truth is he's just as mercenary as the rest of them.

He lied when he signed his contract, he lied when he said he loved the club and he's lying to Simon Peach now as well about what he said to the club in the summer. He'll get a horrible reception when he returns, and the good thing is there will be a contrast on show when it's compared to Lambert's reception, a man who knows how to behave with some class.

I appreciate you're a family friend, but don't come on here making excuses for that rat. He knew exactly what he was doing

I actually don't think he does. It appears that he wants to keep everyone happy, speak as many nice things as possible and that will make things ok. It appears as though he cannot see that this in fact makes him look even worse then keeping quiet as there are too many contradictions in his interviews. He is clearly full of sh*t yet can't stop spouting it.

Good post. Perhaps Weston will read this and understand the reaction and why I called him hopelessly biased. I doubt it though since he doesn't like dignifying that sort of thing with a response.

Just another footballer caught up in the bubble of being a footballer.

Very much this. We all know how shït the PL/football is these days because of the obscene amounts of money being chucked around. So why do we expect players, who usually aren't blessed with the greatest intelligence, to be able to conduct themselves in a manner that those of us outside of said bubble would understand. The more people are paid, the more surreal the bubble is. Of course this is a generalisation....

While I agree with the sentiment, lying is a strong word. The comments made were appropriate to make at the time of signing and were probably too effusive. Up until last season, I doubt he was anywhere near Liverpool's radar, but he had a great season and things changed somewhat. I whole heartedly agree that it is 2 way thing. Too many people say that we have got a lot out of him and he deserves to move on. As you point out SFC have put a lot into him to get him to where he was.

While he might or might not have said he was going to refuse to play again, isn't it a case that he did refuse a pre-season friendly game to try and force a move to Wolves?

Absolutely. He got into this mess because of bad PR and is better keeping quiet and let his football do the talking. He is not a bad lad, just not getting the right PR advice. However, the hatred on here is uncalled for.

He has and had a choice WS - he chose wrongly IMHO. Nothing to do with good or bad PR. As to the hatred being uncalled for - let's see how the fans react when he comes back here. It ain't gonna be pretty - I do not know one saints fan that is happy about the way he "managed" his exit. They all can't be wrong surely?

Hatred is a very strong word, and incorrect. This is a forum and a football one at that, so language is always going to be stronger than what people feel. Easy to blame bad PR, which to me is a convenient excuse. As it is, he should be in charge of what the PR get's up to and take personal responsibility. So bad PR is his fault.

To me it started going downhill very quickly when, as still captain of SFC, he signed another team's shirt and said he hoped to be playing there soon. One might have thought he would have learned from that, but the train wreck still keeps happening. As a family friend, surely you could have given your advice to him to keep under the radar for a few months.

Hatred is a very strong word, and incorrect. This is a forum and a football one at that, so language is always going to be stronger than what people feel. Easy to blame bad PR, which to me is a convenient excuse. As it is, he should be in charge of what the PR get's up to and take personal responsibility. So bad PR is his fault.

To me it started going downhill very quickly when, as still captain of SFC, he signed another team's shirt and said he hoped to be playing there soon. One might have thought he would have learned from that, but the train wreck still keeps happening. As a family friend, surely you could have given your advice to him to keep under the radar for a few months.

Weston was sucked in because he was close to the family. It isn't really his fault, he has just been overly influenced and for ages didn't think Adam had done anything wrong.

you could tell he was full of himself by the way he walks around the pitch and adjusting his hair

he must have felt like a right nob getting all those awards at the end of season bash, knowing full well, he could not wait to leave....then again, probably didn not feel a thing

Well, no.

What do you think the overriding theme of the press conference questions for Pochettino ahead of a game vs Southampton could possibly have been?

And Lallana clearly taking the opportunity of being off Liverpool duty to ham-fistedly cover himself, especially as he got slaughtered by the same newspaper over the weekend.

Not really a conspiracy, TDD.

I know it is not. poor attempt at sarcasm.

Lallana is an idiot. Is he really thick or does he truly believe what comes out of his mouth?

I think it is quite clear he is not the brightest but why does he keep digging his hole deeper and deeper.

However, for those saying he showed no loyalty, etc. - there is no such thing (except fans) in football and we got 25 million for him. Which has been used to strengthen our squad quite significantly.

So he gets his "dream move" and we get a stronger squad.

Need to let it go - he's gone, he has done himself no credit but we march on.

Let it go everyone - he'll get plenty of stick at the game next year although I have a feeling Adam might just feel a hamstring twinge before the game etc. I didn't like how he behaved (allegedly) in his last few months at the club much and am glad that we don't have that type of preening ego inside our club anymore, as good a footballer as he is. Jose Fonte is a more appropriate and professional choice for the armband.

Jamie Carragher wrote a very good piece in the Independent recently about how when players finish their careers and the money stops flowing for the ones playing in the PL, that how supporters percieved them and still take an interest means a great deal. They want to feel comfortable going back to watch games and get informally involved in their former clubs. Adam has robbed himself of that, that might not bother him now when the money and spotlight are it's height but it will later on when he has time to reflect.

At least he doesn't want to finish his career with us - you've only got to look at Joe Cole to see that type of player doesn't age well sometimes.

I think the club's reaction tells us all we need to know about how that c*nt engineered a move away from us. Don't believe a word he says.

This - just to recap......

Lallana

Southampton Football Club can confirm that Adam Lallana has completed his transfer to Liverpool.

The fee received from Liverpool, although undisclosed, will allow the club to further develop the first-team squad for the 2014/2015 season.

Lovren

Southampton Football Club can confirm that it has reached an agreement with Liverpool over the transfer of Dejan Lovren.

The defender, who joined Saints last summer on a four-year contract, departs for a significant fee after negotiations with the Anfield club.

Lambert

The Club has issued the following statement in relation to interest in a number of its players and the departure of Rickie Lambert…

Southampton Football Club can confirm that we have received multiple offers for some of our players in the past weeks. This is a confirmation of the depth of the development that is ongoing in our academy and of the present standing of our first team within the Premier League.

We are staying true to our plan and vision and, as a result, we have no need to accept any offers. We are deep in the process of appointing a new manager who will continue to move our club forward. It remains our preference not to partake in any transfers until the new manager is in place. Our scouting & recruitment department continues to monitor targets we have identified to improve our squad, and the new manager will have final input into our recruitment process.

However, Southampton Football Club can confirm that it has reached agreement with Liverpool for the transfer of Rickie Lambert.

There may be circumstances under which the club will feel it is right for a player to move on. Those circumstances have to be right for the club and the player. This is the case with Rickie’s move to Liverpool.

When Rickie Lambert requested to leave for Liverpool, the club felt it could not stand in the way of having him fulfil his boyhood dream of playing at home. It will be a big challenge to replace him and our intention is to source a quality replacement who will fill his shoes now but also for many years to come.

Chairman Ralph Krueger commented: “On behalf of the club, I would like to thank Rickie. He served with distinction and helped to take Saints from League 1 to the Premier League.

“Rickie has been a shining light in Saints’ growth and will forever remain an icon in the history of the club. He leaves with the best wishes of everyone at Southampton and will always be welcome back at St Mary’s.”

Chambers

Southampton Football Club can confirm that Calum Chambers has completed his move to Arsenal.

The 19 year-old joins the Gunners for an undisclosed fee, having expressed a desire to leave St Mary’s after making 25 appearances for the club.

Executive Director Les Reed commented: “We are naturally disappointed whenever any of our Academy graduates leave the club, and that is very much the case with Calum’s departure.

“Calum made it clear to us that he did not see his future at Southampton. As such, it was crucial that we were able to negotiate a substantial fee that also reflects the work our staff have put into Calum’s development since he joined the club at the age of eight.

“Our position remains unchanged in that we are determined to keep our best young players at the club, as is evidenced by the decision to award Harrison Reed a new long-term contract last week, adding to the list of committed young professionals like James Ward-Prowse, Sam Gallagher, Jack Stephens, Jordan Turnbull, Matt Targett, Sam McQueen and others who have seen plenty of first-team activity recently.

“We have an abundance of talent in the Academy coming through, and everybody at the club is continuing to work hard on bringing in quality new players as we build a team capable of taking us further forward in the coming seasons.

“It is important in the transfer window to remain calm, resilient and above all patient. We have targets, and we are working hard to get them across the line.”

Shaw

Southampton Football Club can confirm that Luke Shaw has today completed his move to Manchester United.

The Saints Academy graduate moves to Old Trafford for an undisclosed fee. The fee will amount to the highest-ever transfer fee received by the club, making the 18 year-old the most expensive teenager ever.

Executive Director Les Reed commented: “While we are sad to see Luke depart the club, we fought to ensure that we got the right deal for a player in whom we have invested a great deal of work over the past decade.

“Luke joined us at the age of eight, and our academy staff and coaches have helped him to progress into a top-class player. He will leave our club and carry forward our top-class pedigree, as others have done before.

“This deal is a good one for Southampton Football Club, and hopefully sends a clear message to other clubs wishing to bid for our players.

“Luke’s transfer fee will be reinvested into the team as our new manager, Ronald Koeman, builds for the new season and for years to come.”

CEO Gareth Rogers commented: “Luke's world-record transfer to Manchester United is yet another endorsement of the great work undertaken at our academy and by the staff at Southampton Football Club.

“We can now move forward and continue to invest in the future of our club.”

Shaw spent more than a decade with Southampton, joining the club’s academy at the age of eight and progressing to the first team before becoming a full England international earlier this year.

Since making his debut at the age of 16 in January 2012, the full-back racked up a total of 67 appearances, 60 of which came in the Barclays Premier League.

During his time at Southampton, Shaw also represented England at practically every level, including at this summer’s FIFA World Cup finals

More quotes I see. We've got our own heroes now - by all means boo him at the Liverpool game if he plays - but time to move on overall. Dusan Tadic seems to respond when the fans get behind him, let's make him even better rather than focus on someone who let himself down but we got a great fee for in the end. As I said in my previous post, it's Adam that will have regrets in the years to come about how he left, rather than the fact he left. It's not our problem.

Sorry but you are hopelessly biased.

To be fair Ron has acknowledged that AL is in a mess and bad PR has contributed to that. Deep down Adam probably is a nice lad it's just that fame and fortune has turned his head and his judgement is no longer sound. It is a great shame as he could have gone done in our history as one of the best but his behaviour and words during the summer antagonised the masses myself included.

I agree with most of your sentiments except the bit about the club sticking by him etc etc. Let's face it if they didn't think he was good enough they would have shipped him out him quick enough, especially if Cortese was in charge. Look at how Bernard, Sharp and Lee were quickly put out to pasture once we had no further need of them.

To be fair Ron has acknowledged that AL is in a mess and bad PR has contributed to that. Deep down Adam probably is a nice lad it's just that fame and fortune has turned his head and his judgement is no longer sound. It is a great shame as he could have gone done in our history as one of the best but his behaviour and words during the summer antagonised the masses myself included.

Exactly. He has thrown away the opportunity of being regarded in the same light as MLT. If he had stayed he would never have had to buy a drink in Southampton again. As it is, he will probably never be able to set foot in the city again without getting some form of abuse.

I am sure that deep down he is a nice lad. I think he is just a bit simple. A great shame that Western Saint is not close enough to him to give him some guidance.

Lallana spoke to Matt Le Tissier on the phone about whether he should leave Saints to play for Liverpool. I have been fortunate to have found out the gist of their conversation.

AL: I have been approached by Liverpool, who want me to play for them and I was seeking your advice.

MLT: Are you sure that they want you? How serious are they?

AL: Well, when I was at the World Cup, Stevie Gerrard told me that they wanted me. He told me how much they would pay me and described the sort of properties that their players owned and the sort of cars that they drove.

MLT: It isn't all about possessions. You have to consider other things like quality of life. You would be far, far away from your family and friends and Liverpool is a ****hole.

AL: But I've always dreamed of one day playing for them in the CL. When I played there with Saints, the hairs stood up on the back of my neck. I pictured myself running out into that stadium and the Kop chanting my name. When that little scouser in Brazil asked me to sign his Liverpool shirt, I knew that very soon I'd be wearing one too.

MLT: Well, it seems that you've pretty well made up your mind that you want to play for them, so I don't know what I can say that would make you change your mind. If you want to desert your friends and family, the club that developed you and made you the player you are today and lose the respect of the Saints fans that idolised you, just for personal greed and naked ambition, then go ahead.

AL: Thaks, Matty. You've talked me into it

*click* Lallana replaces the phone and smiles happily.

*thinks* I really ought to place an article in the Echo, telling all the fans who idolised me here how much I enjoyed playing for Saints. *frowns* But then again, I really ought to tell all the Liverpool supporters how happy I am to be playing for such an illustrious club and thanks for showing their faith in me, paying so much to sign me. But I'm sure that they'll find out that I'm worth every penny.

Well, it seems he has not really taken action on either account.

Lallana spoke to Matt Le Tissier on the phone about whether he should leave Saints to play for Liverpool. I have been fortunate to have found out the gist of their conversation.

AL: I have been approached by Liverpool, who want me to play for them and I was seeking your advice.

MLT: Are you sure that they want you? How serious are they?

AL: Well, when I was at the World Cup, Stevie Gerrard told me that they wanted me. He told me how much they would pay me and described the sort of properties that their players owned and the sort of cars that they drove.

MLT: It isn't all about possessions. You have to consider other things like quality of life. You would be far, far away from your family and friends and Liverpool is a ****hole.

AL: But I've always dreamed of one day playing for them in the CL. When I played there with Saints, the hairs stood up on the back of my neck. I pictured myself running out into that stadium and the Kop chanting my name. When that little scouser in Brazil asked me to sign his Liverpool shirt, I knew that very soon I'd be wearing one too.

MLT: Well, it seems that you've pretty well made up your mind that you want to play for them, so I don't know what I can say that would make you change your mind. If you want to desert your friends and family, the club that developed you and made you the player you are today and lose the respect of the Saints fans that idolised you, just for personal greed and naked ambition, then go ahead.

AL: Thaks, Matty. You've talked me into it

*click* Lallana replaces the phone and smiles happily.

*thinks* I really ought to place an article in the Echo, telling all the fans who idolised me here how much I enjoyed playing for Saints. *frowns* But then again, I really ought to tell all the Liverpool supporters how happy I am to be playing for such an illustrious club and thanks for showing their faith in me, paying so much to sign me. But I'm sure that they'll find out that I'm worth every penny.

You forgot the impoverished little Brazillian kids whose lives he was about to change forever...