Europe almost confirmed?

Saint Matty 76

Clearly bog standard at 1 a decade.

I've been to both Wembley trips I was alive (or not a 1 year old) for and Cardiff. Frankly that last one for the JPT was such. a. draaaaag. I mean Wembley Way, again? Pur-lease. Bored now.

Please god can we never do that again.

I'm with the happy clappers on this one. Whilst all you doom merchants are flicking yourselves off to the thoughts of double relegations and football oblivion, Les and his pals are doing the sums and preparing to march on into Europe.

I'll be there loving every minute. So long suckers!!

4 times 39 years, plus Cardiff,

5 times in 56 years plus Cardiff (Fa Cup, charity shield, league cup, ZDS Cup and JPT) + Cardiff

Seen Saints play away in Europe in competitive games 5 times Marseilles, Anderlecht, Limerick, Hamburg and Bucherest, so want more European games please

Showing my age but I had a fun time at Anderlecht as dad got me a cheap staff ticket to fly there on BEA (before the days of low cost airlines). It would be nice (if I could afford it) to have a few away days in Europe, so I'd better get on with applying for a summer season job.. (Winter is also for skiing :) )

Yes, winning the FA Cup is pretty bog standard. Just a day out, then a night out, then the next day out parading the cup round the town, then a year of celebrations ,viewing the cup, having your photo taken with the cup, then there are the anniversaries and the legendry status of the players, but I take your point, I'm sure you will have a great time in Qarabag and Dnipro.

Other competitions we've played in Europe were not the interminable Europa league.

Don't get me wrong. I want Saints to finish as high as they can, it's just the reward I'm not fussed about.

Yes, winning the FA Cup is pretty bog standard. Just a day out, then a night out, then the next day out parading the cup round the town, then a year of celebrations ,viewing the cup, having your photo taken with the cup, then there are the anniversaries and the legendry status of the players, but I take your point, I'm sure you will have a great time in Qarabag and Dnipro.

Other competitions we've played in Europe were not the interminable Europa league.

Don't get me wrong. I want Saints to finish as high as they can, it's just the reward I'm not fussed about.

You forgot to mention the half-and-half scarves.

I've been to both Wembley trips I was alive (or not a 1 year old) for and Cardiff. Frankly that last one for the JPT was such. a. draaaaag. I mean Wembley Way, again? Pur-lease. Bored now.

Please god can we never do that again.

I've always held you responsible for our defeat against Sheffield United in 1902

the 0 -0 away in second leg was more memorable for those in attendance, many for more reasons than the 90mins of the match

I spent 4 nights over there and had a great time at very little cost

If you are a regular supporter at away games, matches away in Europe are something not to be missed, always regret not going to Lisbon or Norkpping

the 0 -0 away in second leg was more memorable for those in attendance, many for more reasons than the 90mins of the match

I spent 4 nights over there and had a great time at very little cost

If you are a regular supporter at away games, matches away in Europe are something not to be missed, always regret not going to Lisbon or Norkpping

Even when we lose 1-0. :smug:

I really hope Everton win it this year and qualify for the big one as maybe then English teams will start taking the competition seriously.

How would that affect us though? Would 7th then miss out?
no need to worry about that anymore.

7th will go to Europa unless someone other than Liverpool or Arsenal win the FA Cup.

Interesting - so basically a 7th place finish means qualifying in July' date=' a 6th place finish means qualifying in August, and a 5th place finish means no qualifying.[/quote']

Effective this coming season the top two Europa League qualifiers from England going directly into the group phase. FA cup winner, fifth place, and then sixth place in that order. See this link.

http://www.as.com/misc/circular_nuevo_formato_UCL.pdf

The fourth place team must still play in a Champions League playoff in August however.

Effective this coming season the top two Europa League qualifiers from England going directly into the group phase. FA cup winner, fifth place, and then sixth place in that order. See this link.

http://www.as.com/misc/circular_nuevo_formato_UCL.pdf

The fourth place team must still play in a Champions League playoff in August however.

If that's true thats brilliant news! Ideally we'd love CL, but if we go Europa, definitely don't want to have to play qualification games. That is excellent news.

If that's true thats brilliant news! Ideally we'd love CL, but if we go Europa, definitely don't want to have to play qualification games. That is excellent news.

What do you mean "if it's true?" it's a direct link to the document from UEFA.

Still confused as why people think its extra games. Surely teams play less preseason friendlies to counter it...

I suspect a massive-money-making Europa League qualifier against a smaller nation's top side might be a bit more strenous than a game against an MLS team mid-season and trying not to injure themselves, or indeed a small alpine lower league side.

Big difference between friendlies where you play different XI's in each half and a competitive game where at least 8 players play 90 minutes at a high pace.

Not to mention the amount of training and fitness required to get to a condition to do that to begin with, in the compressed pre-season caused by the competitive games beginning much earlier than the start of the Prem season.

Some might think the best way to do it is just to work through and worry about it when you've actually qualified, which explains why some clubs with larger squads afford players the luxury of mid-season breaks.

5th or 6th would make a massive difference than 7th, assuming Liverpool/Arsenal win the FA Cup.