Europe almost confirmed?

Saint Matty 76

Europa should not be a hindrance to us.. we do need to start remembering how doomed we felt before the season started - I for one was sure we were going to seriously struggle and knock the confidence of our youngsters. But instead we've had a remarkable season regardless whether we finish in the top 4 or not. To get into Europe will be awesome, it's a selling point to potential new players. I think we'd do well as well.. and lets face it, the further we get the more and more we'd want to win it. More revenue, and maybe a few big European nights.

If we can get a slight advantage into getting into it, then wicked. It would be great for us.

We are unlikely to ever get this close again

I understand why people often say this, but I don't see why its any more or less likely that we'll get "this close" again next season. Yes, the likes of Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal and Spurs are unlikely to have a repeat of the teething problems they had in the first half of this season but there's no reason why we won't iron out our own wrinkles too.

I understand why people often say this, but I don't see why its any more or less likely that we'll get "this close" again next season. Yes, the likes of Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal and Spurs are unlikely to have a repeat of the teething problems they had in the first half of this season but there's no reason why we won't iron out our own wrinkles too.

We've performed brilliantly and if anything we're now showing the signs of being tired from our efforts and the limitations of the squad. Those issues increase considerably with the prospect of Europa League football next season. Despite Liverpool being awful at the start of the season, Man Utd being bad as well, Arsenal stumbling and Pochettino also having a slow start...we're still below them all in the table despite an amazing season. I guarantee we won't finish above any of them next season either.

Will we get the opportunities to iron out our wrinkles though? That's the problem we will have. We will most likely spend the summer trying to replace our best players, the wrinkles will just carry over.

Would you be prepared to underwrite that statement with everything you own? :)

Nope! I'd have laughed if anyone said we'd be above mid-table this season too. And I still play Euromillions. However we've had an amazing season, far too many bigger teams have had so-so seasons, and yet we're still below them all! I can't see a situation where we improve to be better than we are this season and the teams above us have such average seasons again.

Imo teams being so weak at the start of this season was a unique situation. I haven't known teams at the top collectively having such a number of problems. They will all be stronger next year and I don't believe we can keep losing our best players and then improve every season. I would love to see it but I would consider it unlikely.

Imo teams being so weak at the start of this season was a unique situation. I haven't known teams at the top collectively having such a number of problems. They will all be stronger next year and I don't believe we can keep losing our best players and then improve every season. I would love to see it but I would consider it unlikely.

I agree, it is a worry. Sadly, I think our model (for want of a better phrase) is the best shot clubs like us have.

Focus on the kids, keep churning them out as best as possible. Sign well, accept there is a likelihood they will move on and hopefully at a profit after decent service. Where we are at the best we can hope to be is a stepping stone. I know it's daft, but we've only been in the PL less than 3 seasons, it takes time to establish yourself at the top table.

Maybe, one year if things can be kept steady we can break things up a bit, but right now we should be aiming to be the 'best of the rest' consistently. There's potential for us to do that 2 years in a row, 2/3 season in the PL isn't a bad hit rate.

It's certainly not ideal, but realistically I don't see much alterative. I'm not all that opposed to being an upper-midtable team that may occasionally have a run for Europe etc.

Stoke are only 7 points behind us... I don't think we should be rejoicing just yet given how utter cack we've been over the last few weeks... Still plenty of game time left...

Seven points with 10 to go is loads of points in my book. We'd have to completely collapse for Stoke to overtake us.

So many chickens being counted on here!

Nah. I think 7th is pretty much nailed on. It's not arrogance or presumption - we've earned it. People thinking we won't make seventh are just pessimists over compensating. We've been top four most of the season FFS.

To drop to eighth from here we'd have to earn something meagre like 7, 8, 9 points for the remaining 10 games - Leicester City type form.

Why on earth has happened this season that makes people think this is remotely likely?

Don't write off Stoke of still being a realistic threat to 7th. Of course points in the bag now is better, but their fixtures are kind to them and when they are playing better sides they are at home in the run in

Getting into Europe would put me on relegation alert !

Don't understand not being excited about Europa league. Fine if you're used to better, it's crap. If you're there every season, fine it's a league hinderance. But come on, we've got no European history at all. Some interesting European games would be great. I'd happily take a season of league struggle for a good European run. Look at Everton, who have some problems, although I think that's more about their team, but still they aren't going down. Saints have a long way to fall for that, as the bottom 5 or 6 teams each season are so dire now.

People think too short term. We aren't going to improve our league position every year. It's been 6 seasons in a row where we have and people have got used to it. Remaining a decent Premier League team helps us build, bring money in and become a bigger club. European football adds to that, a lot. So maybe you drop to 10th-14th for a season, but maybe you win something.

This completely!

Though maybe only dropping to about 10th for a season :D :p

As an example of what we should compare ourselves against, look at Stoke. Its taken them some time, but over the years they have now established themselves in the PL very well. Only dropped to 14th once in likely to be 7 seasons straight in the PL since being promoted, and also very much likely to have 2 top 9 finishes in a row over the last two. They have a reputation to be hard to beat and are a solid, dependable PL team (who tbf, have a better squad with better players and play better football than ever now). No one wants to play stoke. I'm not saying I think that's our dream, but they've done well for themselves and are an example of gradual growth which is now paying off. If we applied this to our model as seems to be the case we might start to edge into regular (every couple of years) Europa league qualification and maybe some cup semis. That would be better than going gung ho to push all out for CL, stretching the wages and system to the limit, against teams we can't compete on those terms with anyway.

In any case, Europa league next season would be very exciting :D I just hope we have a better show in the cups as well after the last two dismal seasons (apart from the magnificent Arsenal away win)!!

Am I right thinking thatbif we finish 7th we enter at 3rd qualifying round at end of July, if 6th at the subsequent play-off round and if 5th at the group stage?

That is where Hull (7th- well FA Cup runner up), Spurs (6th) and Everton (5th) entered this season so assume nothing has changed.

Am I right thinking thatbif we finish 7th we enter at 3rd qualifying round at end of July, if 6th at the subsequent play-off round and if 5th at the group stage?

That is where Hull (7th- well FA Cup runner up), Spurs (6th) and Everton (5th) entered this season so assume nothing has changed.

That used to be true. Next year it changed. The top two English teams in the Europa League enter at the group stage. The third teams still plays two rounds of play offs.

Despite our recent slump. I have not fully given up hope of finishing 4th. Arsenal look to have 3rd in the bag so that leaves us up against Utd, Liverpool and Spurs as competition. United have a terrible run of games coming up and Liverpool surely have to have a slump based purely on the intensity they play the game added to the amount of games they will end up playing. We have as much chance as Spurs. This will likely look more unbelievable after this weekends results, should Liverpool beat Swansea and Chelsea turn us over but there is still quite a way to go. It will depend whether we can improve our performance though but all is not lost just yet. Granted we are just as likely to finish 7th than 4th but nothing has been decided yet.

The imortance of finishing 6th can not be over stated. From my reading (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015%E2%80%9316_UEFA_Europa_League) and assuming Liverpool or Arsenal win the FA cup, 5th and 6th will enter the group stages in September - by which time we could have got our league form well and truely running.

A 7th place finish means 2 qualifying rounds (4 games) to reach the group stages - 1 in July and 3 in August. I think this would be a huge disruption. SO 6th place please!

The imortance of finishing 6th can not be over stated. From my reading (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015%E2%80%9316_UEFA_Europa_League) and assuming Liverpool or Arsenal win the FA cup, 5th and 6th will enter the group stages in September - by which time we could have got our league form well and truely running.

A 7th place finish means 2 qualifying rounds (4 games) to reach the group stages - 1 in July and 3 in August. I think this would be a huge disruption. SO 6th place please!

I think Europa League - even automatic group stage qualification - would disrupt our season too much anyway so I wouldn't mind the extra four games (and two away trips!) myself!

That used to be true. Next year it changed. The top two English teams in the Europa League enter at the group stage. The third teams still plays two rounds of play offs.

There's 3 rounds of play-offs I think? So we'd come in at the 2nd? Anyone got the dates for these fixtures?

There's 3 rounds of play-offs I think? So we'd come in at the 2nd? Anyone got the dates for these fixtures?

Still to be confirmed, I think:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015%E2%80%9316_UEFA_Europa_League

The tentative schedule of the competition, to be officially confirmed, is as follows (all draws held at UEFA headquarters in Nyon, Switzerland, unless stated otherwise).[5][14]

Phase Round Draw date First leg Second leg

Qualifying First qualifying round 22 June 2015 2 July 2015 9 July 2015

Second qualifying round 16 July 2015 23 July 2015

Third qualifying round 17 July 2015 30 July 2015 6 August 2015

Play-off Play-off round 7 August 2015 20 August 2015 27 August 2015

Group stage Matchday 1 28 August 2015

(Monaco) 17 September 2015

Matchday 2 1 October 2015

Matchday 3 22 October 2015

Matchday 4 5 November 2015

Matchday 5 26 November 2015

Matchday 6 10 December 2015

Knockout phase Round of 32 14 December 2015 18 February 2016 25 February 2016

Round of 16 10 March 2016 17 March 2016

Quarter-finals 18 March 2016 7 April 2016 14 April 2016

Semi-finals 15 April 2016 28 April 2016 5 May 2016

Final 18 May 2016 at St. Jakob-Park, Basel

Still to be confirmed, I think:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015%E2%80%9316_UEFA_Europa_League

The tentative schedule of the competition, to be officially confirmed, is as follows (all draws held at UEFA headquarters in Nyon, Switzerland, unless stated otherwise).[5][14]

Phase Round Draw date First leg Second leg

Qualifying First qualifying round 22 June 2015 2 July 2015 9 July 2015

Second qualifying round 16 July 2015 23 July 2015

Third qualifying round 17 July 2015 30 July 2015 6 August 2015

Play-off Play-off round 7 August 2015 20 August 2015 27 August 2015

Group stage Matchday 1 28 August 2015

(Monaco) 17 September 2015

Matchday 2 1 October 2015

Matchday 3 22 October 2015

Matchday 4 5 November 2015

Matchday 5 26 November 2015

Matchday 6 10 December 2015

Knockout phase Round of 32 14 December 2015 18 February 2016 25 February 2016

Round of 16 10 March 2016 17 March 2016

Quarter-finals 18 March 2016 7 April 2016 14 April 2016

Semi-finals 15 April 2016 28 April 2016 5 May 2016

Final 18 May 2016 at St. Jakob-Park, Basel

That's handy, home game for our owners :p

Europa worked for Athletico. I think it would be a good thing for us too. Everton have problems bigger than playing in Europe on a Thursday night - we will not 'do an Everton' - we're more solid than that.

You can wave goodbye to cushty 3.00pm Saturday games if we do qualify however. I'd welcome that as I enjoy watching SSN that time on a Saturday.

If we qualify for Europe it will be a great achievement but the Europa cup itself doesn't excite me in the slightest. If we draw some East European or Scandinavian minnow I probably wouldn't go (home or away)

Would have much prefered a trip to Wembley - not that I am saying that is a greater achievement.

If we qualify for Europe it will be a great achievement but the Europa cup itself doesn't excite me in the slightest. If we draw some East European or Scandinavian minnow I probably wouldn't go (home or away)

Would have much prefered a trip to Wembley - not that I am saying that is a greater achievement.

For some of us an East European or Scandinavian minnow is what we want. Much more fun.

For some of us an East European or Scandinavian minnow is what we want. Much more fun.

Yup that's my thinking, would love a side in the arse end of no-where in East Europe. 60p a pint and a great laugh with your mates.

So if people don't want us in Europe, and they don't want to see us struggling every season, what do they want? Just bog standard 10th/1th finishes in the PL? If you stagnate like that then you'll end up with Villa, Sunderland and co in the wrong half.

Realistically the Europa league is made for a club of our size. It's a realistic chance for progression as a club, it's an opportunity to grow - albeit small. I don't see really what's wrong with it, as long as we baulk the squad up to accommodate it. The away days in Europe will be great, my only experience is steaua all those years ago, and I'd love that again.

So if people don't want us in Europe, and they don't want to see us struggling every season, what do they want?

Some seem to want days out at Wembley, never seen the point of those really, I mean it's good but bog standard for those of us who've been there a few times already. Now Helsinki or Istanbul, that's something different.

Some seem to want days out at Wembley, never seen the point of those really, I mean it's good but bog standard for those of us who've been there a few times already. Now Helsinki or Istanbul, that's something different.

Watching Saints at Wembley isn't bog standard. You post some absolute s**te.

So if people don't want us in Europe, and they don't want to see us struggling every season, what do they want? Just bog standard 10th/1th finishes in the PL? If you stagnate like that then you'll end up with Villa, Sunderland and co in the wrong half.

Realistically the Europa league is made for a club of our size. It's a realistic chance for progression as a club, it's an opportunity to grow - albeit small. I don't see really what's wrong with it, as long as we baulk the squad up to accommodate it. The away days in Europe will be great, my only experience is steaua all those years ago, and I'd love that again.

This all day long.

Can't see the point of wanting the team to do well and then not want them to do that well.

I would quite happily buy you a 60p pint Sir!

I've seen them at Wembley 4 times already, W2 L2 plus 1 Cardiff....really a bit run of the mill.

(Rattles bars to provoke the Wembley lovers:rolleyes::rolleyes: )

4 times in 100 years. Twice in more than 30 years. So bog standard.