Toby

washsaint

Another potential twist: SSN have just done a brief Alderweireld bit in their transfer update saying that Saints "believe they have a contract with Atletico Madrid for the defender, expect a permanent transfer to take place after he spent last season on loan at St Mary's and if the Spanish club do a deal its Tottenham (or anyone else) Southampton will consider legal action against Atletico."

wowzers

probably ties in with what Monk posted about the club not being happy at all with ateltico

Might all be in the contract wording. We know Saints can purchase for a fixed fee and we also know AM can decide to keep him by waiving the loan fee of £1.5m. Argument might be that if AM call him back and then sell him they are breaching the contract. Not any easy one to let the courts decide.

Well could be interesting but unfortunately it probably means the Toby deal with spurs is all but done and dusted and Les has got no choice but to go all in on his last hand of cards. It strikes me that Levy's backhanders probably go down quite well in Spain, I figure thats the only reason he would need to go there in person. Problem is that we told Levy to **** off over Schneiderlin and Jay Rod and that no doubt had something to with us not being happy about the way Poch and Mitchell was poached, to Levy winning this transfer is not just about he player but proving he is a big man, he has to win to save face and make a point no matter the cost because that is the sort of guy he has proven to be so far.

However now we see how AM will react to our challenge over the contract terms, will they tell us to do one or will they decide life would be much simpler to tell Levy to do one. Hopefully we send them a sweetener of promising to match Tottenham's bid along with the threat so as not to get their backs up too much.

From Sky...

ALDERWEIRELD TWIST

Now to another twist in the future of Toby Alderweireld, who has been linked with a move to Tottenham.

It's our understanding that Southampton believe they have a contract with Atletico Madrid for the defender and expect a permanent transfer to take place, after he spent last season on loan at St Mary's.

Sky Sources have told us that if the Spanish club do a deal with Tottenham or anyone else, then Southampton will consider legal action against Atletico.

Seems very unlikely after this that we will suddenly offer double the agreed price to match Spurs offer.

If we do match the offer it makes this threat look weak and then if he decides to join Spurs we lose any momentum legally.

If we don't they will just push through the Spurs deal

Saints also must ****ing hate Spurs.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Why? Its not Southampton's fault A.Madrid appear to have messed up and breached a contract they signed.

Surely the timing of it coming out now is directly linked to the fact Saints believe Toby is about to join AM. Otherwise why leak it to Peach?

Lots of games being played but clear now we are nowhere near matching the Spurs bid because we don't feel we need to.

Hopefully the paperwork is water tight.

Why? Its not Southampton's fault A.Madrid appear to have messed up and breached a contract they signed.

Also if what Monk says is true then we have been trying not to upset them. Clearly we have had to step things up, presumably because they going ahead with the spurs transfer.

Even if that were true, I doubt we can force them to sell to us. Most likely scenario imo is he signs for spurs and we get some compensation.

Hmmm. I don't get any sense that TA is desperate to sign for Spurs (or more importantly desperate not to come back to us).

Sign for us, give it a season and he's off to a Champions League club so everyone's a winner.

Well theres one definite outcome from this that I am well pleased about, the days of tottenham poaching any of our players are now gone, they've surely blown any negotiating opportunities with us now... if they hadn't already.

Also ****ing loving the twist, who needs Game of Thrones, Toby Alderweireld starring in the Red Contract.

Edited by Mallagroth

Hmmm. I don't get any sense that TA is desperate to sign for Spurs (or more importantly desperate not to come back to us).

Sign for us, give it a season and he's off to a Champions League club so everyone's a winner.

I'd love that but still no idea what is going down. Will be interesting if Athletico are determined to sell to Spurs what happens then.

Even if that were true, I doubt we can force them to sell to us. Most likely scenario imo is he signs for spurs and we get some compensation.

If this were to happen and there was a breach of contract and he ended up at Spurs. Then maybe the transfer would a) not be ratified/signed off by the FA/Premier League or whoever, or b) he signs for Spurs but is ineligible to play for them due to an ownership dispute etc.

By the sounds of it they have effectively already sold him to us though. Legally it's interesting - I suspect Saints have been asking Athletico to transfer Toby's registration which they have refused to do.

Well theres one definite outcome from this that I am well pleased about, the days of tottenham poaching any of our players are now gone, they've surely blown any negotiating opportunities with us now... if they hadn't already.

Why? They havn't done anything wrong. If anyone has dropped the ball it's Atletico.

If this were to happen and there was a breach of contract and he ended up at Spurs. Then maybe the transfer would a) not be ratified/signed off by the FA/Premier League or whoever, or b) he signs for Spurs but is ineligible to play for them due to an ownership dispute etc.

if only that would happen.

the premier league do not have a history is dealing with this sort of stuff, do they?

Why? They havn't done anything wrong. If anyone has dropped the ball it's Atletico.

Poaching Pochettino and Mitchell, it's well documented that the board wasn't happy with how things were done. Our refusal to listen to their offers for any of our players they were interested in and then with them trying to nip in front of us and have Toby away like billy big balls even turning up in person to make whispered offers in the AM ears. I really don't see Les and Levy being best mates anytime soon.

I'd love to have a read of the contract.

The thing is, these things often come down to individual interpretation on the wording. Ambiguities are no good, we'd need pretty clear, definite wording in the contract.

May even have been a problem due to it being lost in translation between Spanish and English.

I'd love to have a read of the contract.

The thing is, these things often come down to individual interpretation on the wording. Ambiguities are no good, we'd need pretty clear, definite wording in the contract.

I'd like to think we've got some lawyers who have had a good look at the contract and nodded their heads, otherwise we'd look pretty ****ing stupid to go public with our intentions.