Toby

washsaint

To me it has got to the stage where the player should now decide. If he wants to play elsewhere then he should. If he is ambivalent then he should play elsewhere.

I don't think so. It's clearly a big legal issue, which has nothing to do with Toby. He may well be happy with either club (nothing any of us can complain about) and if he comes out and says which one he'd like (maybe its hard to choose, I would say purely from a neutral footballers perspective you can see arguments to go to either (arguments we've all done to death I might add)) and then it turns out he can't go there for whatever reason legally, this screws his relationship with the club he actually can move to, and also makes him look a fool.

His best option is to stay quiet and keep out of it until there is clarity in his options. There is nothing to be gained from his input publicly and everything to make the situation more complex.

To me it has got to the stage where the player should now decide. If he wants to play elsewhere then he should. If he is ambivalent then he should play elsewhere.

I wonder where Toby's agent fits into all of this - presumably with a lower transfer fee Saints could afford to pay a higher signing on and agent's fee.

Personally, I think there are lots of dirty tricks at play away from the actual official transfer talks. And behind the scenes it's probably a hell of a lot more calm and straight forward than it seems to us outsiders.

I'm not sure that will be the case. It is obviously fractious enough for us to leak this info. There will be a Saints strategy for doing so with this timing, including (importantly) the legal action threat.

That suggests to me that the two sides aren't able to agree at the moment, and I can't imagine it is all that calm behind the scenes otherwise there would have been no need to leak anything. It appears quite a far down the line tactic to me, and it could either be a huge masterstroke or massively backfire.

Because he is easily worth 11 million plus. It's not particularly likely now that Athletico are suddenly going to allow him to go for a tiny amount.

What he's easily worth now is irrelevant in the context of a contract that was signed a year ago when he was clearly worth a lot less.

The most likely outcome. Someone at AM has ****ed up and they will want to 'Exit with Honour' to quote Nixon.

Yep.

We'll give them 5mil cash & throw in Llyod Isgrove or Gazza for free. (Is Gaston still on the books?)

I live in a family of lawyers. They do not screw up contracts, arrogant idiots screw them up by making assumptions. If the news is right and AM missed the due date then Saints simply need to send the contracted fee to the details in the contract and that is game over.

And as for the bleeding heart wimps saying it's not cricket on this thread the past hours. Wise up you idiots this means we can get Toby and STILL have 6.8mil in the bank to address the other areas of the squad you have all moaned about.

AND we get to see the look on Levy's face when he realises he's wasted the past month chasing Toby and has been screwed over because of a stupid clerical error.

What he's easily worth now is irrelevant in the context of a contract that was signed a year ago when he was clearly worth a lot less.

Exactly.

Go and exchange on a house, then try and negotiate the completion at a higher price when you find out that its value has rocketed.

Edited by St Chalet

I presume the deal to buy included his personal terms back in August.

We could re-negotiate that element though presumably as it is nothing to do with AM. Clearly he will command higher wages now (which Spurs will pay) and if RK is to be believed the player wants to come to us.

I live in a family of lawyers. They do not screw up contracts, arrogant idiots screw them up by making assumptions. If the news is right and AM missed the due date then Saints simply need to send the contracted fee to the details in the contract and that is game over.

And as for the bleeding heart wimps saying it's not cricket on this thread the past hours. Wise up you idiots this means we can get Toby and STILL have 6.8mil in the bank to address the other areas of the squad you have all moaned about.

If this is the case, what I don't understand is why we're bothering to negotiate, or even play it out in the media.

If we have in effect a contract to sign Toby we should send the funds and just get Toby over to sign his contract, shouldn't we?

If this is the case, what I don't understand is why we're bothering to negotiate, or even play it out in the media.

If we have in effect a contract to sign Toby we should send the funds and just get Toby over to sign his contract, shouldn't we?

Surely we have leaked it to stop or at least slow down any possible Spurs move whilst clarifying the price he will be to us should he choose to come here.

But ultimately Toby will decide and his decision potentially makes a huge difference to Atleti in terms of the fee they get for him.

If it is true that AM missed the deadline then what did we do before the deadline....Did we indicate in writing that we wanted to exercise our option? Seems to me to be smokescreen put up by Saints to counter Spurs leaks. We will have to wait and see!

We didn't have to exercise any option, they had to exercise their option NOT to have sold him to us. If what was discussed last summer was right, we already had to have a full contract in place for the rest of Alderweireld's term at Saints (i.e. the four/five years, whatever it was) in order to complete the loan.

So, that being the case, if Atletico failed to exercise the clause he is ALREADY our player and already contracted to play for us.

Can't help thinking this is a little bit like a family meal with everyone shoving cash in the middle to pay and some people refusing to take it. :D

I can't believe some of the comments on here.

Like saying why mess around we should have offered what he is worth.....he was worth what we had contractually agreed. Its a bit like saying I know that house is worth 350K but we'll offer 300K and that offer gets accepted. Who in their right mind would then up their accepted offer.

Anyone claiming we are in the wrong here is deluded. It is AM that are in the wrong and have been hawking him around everywhere.

I can't believe some of the comments on here.

Like saying why mess around we should have offered what he is worth.....he was worth what we had contractually agreed. Its a bit like saying I know that house is worth 350K but we'll offer 300K and that offer gets accepted. Who in their right mind would then up their accepted offer.

Anyone claiming we are in the wrong here is deluded. It is AM that are in the wrong and have been hawking him around everywhere.

TBF that's difficult to know for certain until we see the details.

Even if that were true, I doubt we can force them to sell to us. Most likely scenario imo is he signs for spurs and we get some compensation.

Maybe we can't force them but it might well make other clubs think twice about buying him if they think it might end in messy legal action. With any luck it will put everyone else off and AM will to sell to us for lack of a another option.

No more a comment on mad fans who seem to think saints should spend to keep up with the big boys.

spending £12m of Toby (as per the time of the post) is where we are at. we have spent more and as much on worse players

http://tottenhamhotspur.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/saints-consider-legal-action-over.html?m=1

This says Spurs have agreed a fee and deal with Toby and that basically our clause is all that is preventing the deal from being done.

Certainly seems the timing ofnour leak was to prevent that deal from going through, it must have been very close...still could be.

Possible too that it could be ****ing Toby off as he just want to sort a move out to either club, have to be careful we don't alienate him.

spending £12m of Toby (as per the time of the post) is where we are at. we have spent more and as much on worse players

Not if we feel we have a legitimate claim to get him for 6.3m. Would be foolish to spend an extra £5m if that was the case.

http://tottenhamhotspur.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/saints-consider-legal-action-over.html?m=1

This says Spurs have agreed a fee and deal with Toby and that basically our clause is all that is preventing the deal from being done.

Certainly seems the timing ofnour leak was to prevent that deal from going through, it must have been very close...still could be.

Possible too that it could be ****ing Toby off as he just want to sort a move out to either club, have to be careful we don't alienate him.

Don't be ridiculous.

Edited by Mallagroth

Don't be ridiculous.

But that would spoil his mantra. Please don't quote him.

For what it's worth, what he is saying above....that exact same person, and website claimed this only 1 day ago.

''Stories abound of Levy flying to Madrid to sign the Belgian centre-back but as I pointed out the other day, my reading of what I hear is that Alderweireld has already changed his mind and is going to Southampton, which Spurs will know. That still seems to be the case as he is talking with them.''

The fact of the matter is that everyone is playing games. This is a typical transfer merry-go-round, and it is utterly pointless going OTT as some on here are doing right now.

The post I replied to called club spending frugal the implication being the club should spend more. Plus in truth neither you or I have any idea what the club feels it can afford to spend this summer unless you're ITK?

On the contrary, it shows how much we want to keep him.

On the contrary, it shows how much we want to keep him.

Of course we do. I was just thinking if it became a complete stalemate and delayed him moving anywhere then it wouldnt be ideal for him, but imagine it should be sorted fairly quickly either way given how much it seems to be developing each day!

Becoming one of the all time Saints transfer sagas! Hopefully ends more Skacel than De Pedro.