Toby

washsaint

Surely Madrid not having funds to fulfill obligations to us will have only strengthened our ability to negotiate a good deal with them? If it looked like we would hold firm on only paying the 6.8M until we recieved the 1.5M which they possibly didn't have and there was no flexibility there then yes, you can see how the Spurs thing unfolded.

A club like AM can find 2 million € down the back of a sofa. Not having it is not an option, not wanting to give it to us is.

Adam Blackmore ‏@bigadamsport

Ultimately it came down to Alderweireld choosing Spurs over #saintsfc - unclear yet as to whether Saints will pursue compensation

So our management are not certain we have a leg to stand on in court either...

We dragged our feet, Spurs nipped in and snapped him up.

Outstanding.

Maybe we were, maybe we weren't. It's impossible to say as the facts aren't out there, it's just assumption and speculation.

The only nailed on fact we have is that Toby has signed for Spurs. How that happened and why that happened is up for debate, but I doubt we'll ever know the full ins and outs - maybe certain media outlets will try and spin it certain ways. It's pointless letting this drag, let's just focus on who will replace him now. I think we'll get ourselves a top quality CB.

I hope your right but I can't help feeling we'll have to pay more for said defender than Spurs have for Toby. As someone posted earlier if you want the player ask the price and pay it...at £11.5M for a top international defender who's already adapted to the English game we really should have matched Spurs offer and given Toby the choice.

But then what about all this legal action stuff? Was it press fabrication or did we think we had a legal right to something we had no legal right for?

I wouldn't be surprised if that part of this saga continues but seemingly, there isn't enough of a legal threat to worry Madrid or Spurs so we'll see on that front.

Well, yes, and it will be one of the best CB partnerships around, but also the money, London and more chance of success. They'll have a very solid spine to that team. Those CB's in front of Lloris...imagine if they got Morgan too, clean sheets most weeks.

they could lose Lloris and Morgan is off to United.

I wonder what effect losing out on Toby will have on Wanyama. There were strong noises about him wanting to join Arsenal in the press and if Morgan leaves I wonder if he will angle for a move on the basis that we are once again not retaining out top talent. Never dull at Saints is it.

As I said yesterday, this summer could turn out worse than last summer..

When they do something positive, I will. And have in the past.

They promised last summer wouldnt happen again. It is repeating itself.

They deluded themselves over Toby - look what has happened.

Martina is not EPL standard according to several comments atributed to Dutch posters on the web. Deal with it.

They didn't say that players wouldn't leave. Toby was on loan. His loan ended. His club sold him to Spurs, deal with it.

You have never seen Martina lick a football but you are happy to take other people's word for the fact that he isn't EPL standard. That sums you up mate. You are a glass completely empty guy. Deal with it.

Oh, where did we finish last year?

Not sure they have quite the same calibre to be honest. Allen went, Davis went, Vorm went, Bony went. So it's still a fair old chunk isn't it, but like us they got good money, reinvested and moved on.

Only way Saints won't lose a player or two is to not have great players. Wanyama will be next summer, and it's not because Saints want to sell, it's because he's becoming too good to not play for a top club, and we can't risk losing players like that for free.

Exactly if they have a player the top 6 want they will go

Welcome to the forum.

I don't buy it for a second.

Firstly are you seriously saying AM could not afford £1.5m?

And then saying if we offered them £15m they would reject it? How can they not have the money and then reject a big money offer for a player who they want to sell? Seems a bit contradictory no?

Thirdly if someone threatens you with legal action I doubt it will endear you to them will it? You are less likely to want to deal with someone like that.

I have no idea what happened but what I do know is nobody seems to have answered the question I asked yesterday. Why did we leave it until the last minute to buy the player when we had an agreement to buy him? If a deadline had passed which results in us getting compensation why didn't we buy him before that as was our right to?

Perhaps they had the deal agreed and signed before we woke up to what was going on. The club obviously thought they had 'An option to purchase' and so didnt need to chase. Somewhere somebody got it wrong and Spurs have benefited. The ither surprise is that no iother club came in for him.

Or maybe Toby told Atletico he wanted to sign for Spurs at the start of this and they decided there was little point talking to us.

That is spot on mate, it isn't nice at all when it happens to you as a fan but that is football unfortunately, it happens to Spurs regularly, for example Willian, Oscar, and Hazard were all going to join Spurs but Chelsea jumped in and took all of those players because they have the financial muscle behind them to to so, as I said it isn't nice but Southampton will do the same to other clubs in the future as they continue to grow as a club in the coming years.

So our management are not certain we have a leg to stand on in court either...

We dragged our feet, Spurs nipped in and snapped him up.

Outstanding.

Wow, you've done it again

It sounds more like he had a clear choice between us and spurs, and he chose spurs you stupid ****

As I said yesterday, this summer could turn out worse than last summer..

Or it could turn out better.

We just don't know.

(having been a Saints fan for 40 years, I suspect that last season is as good as it's going to get for another 10 years or so to be honest, though maybe we'll scrape into the final stages of the Europa league and win it while finishing 16th in the prem - I'd be happy with that)

Wow, you've done it again

It sounds more like he had a clear choice between us and spurs, and he chose spurs you stupid ****

Just ignore him and he'll go away.

Or Southampton can start winning games, and he'll go away.

That is spot on mate, it isn't nice at all when it happens to you as a fan but that is football unfortunately, it happens to Spurs regularly, for example Willian, Oscar, and Hazard were all going to join Spurs but Chelsea jumped in and took all of those players because they have the financial muscle behind them to to so, as I said it isn't nice but Southampton will do the same to other clubs in the future as they continue to grow as a club in the coming years.

Spot on. Big fish eat little fish. We have done it in the past but people have short memories. It is business sadly. You have got yourselves a decent player.

They didn't say that players wouldn't leave. Toby was on loan. His loan ended. His club sold him to Spurs, deal with it.

Oh, where did we finish last year?

We still have plenty of time to buy some players. I think what worries people is that this season we will have lost Clyne, Morgan and Toby. However you want to look at it those three players were huge for us last season. To replace them with proven quality will not be cheap. Martina is a squad player and I hope he does well. But he isn't at the same level as Toby or Clyne and I think you have to say that is fact.

We have a few weeks until the 1st game in the Europa league and I really hope the club doesn't just panic buy now.

I think the whole "legal action" thing ****ed them off and they chose not to deal with us. If a club did that to us I doubt we would want to do business with them either.

Reading between the lines, the "legal action thing" appears to have been a last roll of the dice, a long time after Spurs made their offer to AM. If that chronology is correct, then us playing the "legal action" card wasn't a game changer as it would appear AM had already decided BEFORE that stage how it was going to pan out.

The most unclear thing in all this is why AM seemed happy to go with the Spurs offer without coming back to us to see if we'd exceed Spurs' offer (i.e. why didn't they see an opportunity to get more money out of the deal, as any good business would?). Toby stating to AM that he wanted Spurs and not Saints would seem the most plausible explanation.

Edited by trousers

Welcome to the forum.

I don't buy it for a second.

Firstly are you seriously saying AM could not afford £1.5m?

And then saying if we offered them £15m they would reject it? How can they not have the money and then reject a big money offer for a player who they want to sell? Seems a bit contradictory no?

Thirdly if someone threatens you with legal action I doubt it will endear you to them will it? You are less likely to want to deal with someone like that.

I have no idea what happened but what I do know is nobody seems to have answered the question I asked yesterday. Why did we leave it until the last minute to buy the player when we had an agreement to buy him? If a deadline had passed which results in us getting compensation why didn't we buy him before that as was our right to?

Thanks for the welcome, been lurking a long time and thought i'd finally register. Also just to be clear I most certainly am not affiliated with the club in any way - just a regular old fan.

To answer your points though - i'm not necessarily suggesting AM couldn't pay the 1.5m but if they could then why wait until after the deadline had passed? Thought I heard somewhere they were planning on using some of the Spurs money to pay us off or maybe they were waiting on the Turan deal with Barca? I just don't see why if they had the money they didn't just pay us straight away.

Secondly I wasn't suggesting AM were rejecting a 15m bid out of hand more that the Spurs deal was already agreed and basically done so it didn't matter how much we offered at that point.

The legal stuff is probably the crux of what's stopped us getting him. We were probably under the belief that we still had a legal right to buy him for 6.8m until we had been paid the release clause when what we should have done is put in an increased offer as soon as we were aware AM wanted to take him back. I can't help thinking the CFO leaving had to do with him giving assurances that the legalities were air tight not understanding that this wouldn't stop the player going elsewhere as has happened. Certainly it seems to me that the relationship between us and Madrid had soured quite early on as the level of comms between the two clubs seems minimal even before any threats of legal action.

I wonder if we will get a statement from SMS. Or if Ralphie will be wheeled out for one of his visionary TV interviews again ?

Serious question.. why do we only hear from you (in the main) when something bad happens?

Is it just because you are emotionaly retarded and need somehwhere to vent your anger so you don't take it out on 'real' people, or are you in fact a cowardly little weasel who probably wouldn't say boo to a goose in a normal social setting?

And for what it is worth I am dissapointed in the club, but your reaction is just so venomous and child like that it baffles me.

Disappointing news today.

Sounds like one big mess, and probably we'll never hear the full story either.

I'll always be a Saints fan but to be honest this sort of stuff just further pushes me away from caring too much any more. I was lucky growing up as a kid in Matty's era, and he was a true hero to me for many, many years. How many young fans actually have a hero at the club any more? Because it just feels like that as soon as anyone does well, it's just a matter of time before they clear off and join another club who is willing to pay more money.

Nevertheless, I still have faith in the management team. They haven't blagged it up till now, and if there is a cock-up in this particular instance then I have faith that they will sort it out.

But it would appear we didn't have a bid even accepted for him. I don't know if we even got to the stage where you can speak to Toby.

I think the whole "legal action" thing ****ed them off and they chose not to deal with us. If a club did that to us I doubt we would want to do business with them either.

What will be interesting though is to see if the club follow through on that threat or let it go. Personally I would just let it go. He is their player now, we ****ed up by waiting so long.

But we would be unlikely to p*ss off a club by acting in the way that it appears AM did, as our board gives the appearance of comprising ethical and moral people.

If AM have indeed reneged on their contractual agreements, then certainly we should go after them for the compensation. We need to prove that firstly we are not a soft touch and secondly that clubs cannot act in such a cavalier way and get away with it.

Ultimately though, our best response is to identify another CB who will prove to be as good or better than Alderweireld and hope that it turns out that a large part of his success with us was because of the players beside him and in front of him, as it was with Lovren.

Everyone needs to calm down. He was a loan player, and we are now victims of his success with us. Preferable to us being able to get him after an unsuccessful season of Higginbottomesque own goals.

At least we have certainty, and can now go after another CB just like when Lovren left. The way we play and partnering with Fonte seems to make CBs look better than elsewhere so we'll probably end up fine. 2016-17 might see us starting with some home grown players too if reports from our loanees last season are accurate.

We'll be attractive to plenty as a stepping stone, so no shortage of options. One day we might not be a stepping stone, but for the time being we are.

All is well.

Perhaps they had the deal agreed and signed before we woke up to what was going on. The club obviously thought they had 'An option to purchase' and so didnt need to chase. Somewhere somebody got it wrong and Spurs have benefited. The ither surprise is that no iother club came in for him.

But again why didn't we just pay them it rather than not deciding to chase it?

He should of been signed the day the season ended. The past months saga would not have happened.

Maybe we didn't have the money to pay it until Clyne was gone? (seems more plausible then saying AM don't have £1.5m).

He should of been signed the day the season ended. The past months saga would not have happened.

Maybe we didn't have the money to pay it until Clyne was gone? (seems more plausible then saying AM don't have £1.5m).

Once again..exactly why wouldn't we have had 11 million £ available or obtainable ?

I keep hearing that we may have no money for transfers before sales but no-one every seems to be willing to have a stab at why that would be.

It's possible, though I'd like to think Koeman and Reed have been around long enough and have enough ears to the ground to work out things properly.

Journo's on twitter saying Saints messed this up. Hard to substantiate but it feels like we dropped the ball here.

But I think it's not just one thing or another, it'll be a combination of a number of factors. The club has ballsed up somewhere along the line. But it also appears Alderweireld was giving Koeman the impression he was still keen to come to us right up to the end.

Thanks for the welcome, been lurking a long time and thought i'd finally register. Also just to be clear I most certainly am not affiliated with the club in any way - just a regular old fan.

To answer your points though - i'm not necessarily suggesting AM couldn't pay the 1.5m but if they could then why wait until after the deadline had passed? Thought I heard somewhere they were planning on using some of the Spurs money to pay us off or maybe they were waiting on the Turan deal with Barca? I just don't see why if they had the money they didn't just pay us straight away.

Secondly I wasn't suggesting AM were rejecting a 15m bid out of hand more that the Spurs deal was already agreed and basically done so it didn't matter how much we offered at that point.

The legal stuff is probably the crux of what's stopped us getting him. We were probably under the belief that we still had a legal right to buy him for 6.8m until we had been paid the release clause when what we should have done is put in an increased offer as soon as we were aware AM wanted to take him back. I can't help thinking the CFO leaving had to do with him giving assurances that the legalities were air tight not understanding that this wouldn't stop the player going elsewhere as has happened. Certainly it seems to me that the relationship between us and Madrid had soured quite early on as the level of comms between the two clubs seems minimal even before any threats of legal action.

All sounds very plausible to me. Cheers for posting sir

He choose Spurs over us according to Adam Blackmore, obviously had his reasons but thought he was happy here. Cant see what they can offer him that we cant.

A more assured future perhaps. Not to start any great sillyness here but I am not really impressed with our transfer window so far, we seem to have had some big targets and bought some pretty average looking cheapies. Plenty of time yet but really I doubt that our next season is as assured as Tottenham's so far. On the other hand perhaps Shani just fancied Hertfordshire more.

I wonder what it feels like for wanyama fonte Bertrand etc to see clyne Toby and likely Morgan leave just before another season. I can't see how it doesn't affect morale when they look around the dressing room and think are we stronger without them

Wanyama probably figures he's the boss in midfield now and is thinking about all the cash he'll earn next summer for a CL side if he has a blinding season (motivation), and Bertrand seems overtly happy with the way his career is going. Fonte has had other CBs to partner with before, and am sure he'll make the next one look good too.

We'll lose a max of 3 players if MS goes. We've got Reed coming through, and will sign another decent CM anyway, so it's not like we're in dire straits for a MS replacement.

We'll get a decent replacement for TA, and we already have an excellent replacement (by all accounts) for Clyne.

We've got a brilliant keeper to plug the gap til FF is back, and when he is we've got strength in depth for the rest of the season.

Our attack has two new excellent players - JRod is back, and you don't play for spain without being at least somewhat capable.

Seems to me like we'll be at least as strong next season. Players come and go.

We still have plenty of time to buy some players. I think what worries people is that this season we will have lost Clyne, Morgan and Toby. However you want to look at it those three players were huge for us last season. To replace them with proven quality will not be cheap. Martina is a squad player and I hope he does well. But he isn't at the same level as Toby or Clyne and I think you have to say that is fact.

We have a few weeks until the 1st game in the Europa league and I really hope the club doesn't just panic buy now.

Squad player doesn't mean pub player though and to rubbish him before he has kicked a ball is just stupid. The club proved last year that they could keep their heads whilst all around were losing theirs and I'm sure they will do the same this year. If it all goes pear shaped then is the time to wet the bed. Not now.

Why is dealing in football transfers so different to normal life to fans?

If you agree to buy a car and sign a contract at a lower price, why then go and pay a lot more if there is other interest?

It seems to me the legal team have messed up as they misread or misunderstood the exact terms of the contract. The club must have believed that their position was watertight and so if they wished to get him they could as soon as AM had not paid the compensation in time.

Not quite the same though is it?

Spurs have now poached our manager, first team coaching staff, head of recruitment and last season's CB. Not quite the same as just being outbid for the odd player here or there.

Thanks for the optimism Bro

QUOTE=Spaceman Spiff;2211511]Wanyama probably figures he's the boss in midfield now and is thinking about all the cash he'll earn next summer for a CL side if he has a blinding season (motivation), and Bertrand seems overtly happy with the way his career is going. Fonte has had other CBs to partner with before, and am sure he'll make the next one look good too.

We'll lose a max of 3 players if MS goes. We've got Reed coming through, and will sign another decent CM anyway, so it's not like we're in dire straits for a MS replacement.

We'll get a decent replacement for TA, and we already have an excellent replacement (by all accounts) for Clyne.

We've got a brilliant keeper to plug the gap til FF is back, and when he is we've got strength in depth for the rest of the season.

Our attack has two new excellent players - JRod is back, and you don't play for spain without being at least somewhat capable.

Seems to me like we'll be at least as strong next season. Players come and go.

Taking our red and white striped glasses off, when it comes to a straight choice between us or Spurs, logically it's a no-brainer who he'll pick.

If he thinks about where his future is more likely to be guaranteed - it's at Spurs. He can look at us and see that we can't keep our best players, so our next season could be an unpredictable one, he can't be sure of our future. He can see that Koeman might only be here for another year or two tops and I'm sure RK was a big pull for him to come here.

Whatever we think of Spurs (and by god I hate 'em) they are more likely to be a consistent top 6/7 club even if they do change managers every couple of years.

I'm sure if nobody else came in for him he'd be our player now, but once Spurs appeared then it was game over. I'm not sure we should place too much emphasis on whether he said he wanted to stay here, any player can say that - it endears them to the fans, although the noises the club made about him staying do make you wonder what's happened. Maybe he was being disingenuous.

We're all wishing he'd signed for us but is he really that mega-fantastic and irreplaceable? Aside from us there was one other team interested in signing him, no top 4 club came in, no Liverpool, AM not interested in keeping him, no other club at all. This time last year how many of us were saying lets get Toby A?

I'm not saying he wasn't great, not at all, but in the end he chose Spurs, he could have waited for us if he was so keen to join, or made the right noises but he didn't.

We can blame the club as much as we want but in the end Spurs was the smart choice for him although it makes me feel sick to say that :(:(:(

Let's hope we get someone equally good if not better pretty soon.

I think we've tried to be clever and get something done on the cheap. Unfortunately Levy got involved and no-one is going to beat him in the sneaky-underhandedness stakes, so it has backfired.

The fact that he has joined the club who provide our best target of cracking the top 6 is sickening. I'm sat at work and can't concentrate because I have a mixture of sick feeling and angry shakes. I hope he gets injured in pre-season and never plays for them. I know it's not right that something so innocuous as a football transfer should make me feel such animosity, but I really hate that parasitic club. Even Rupert had it right about them.

A more assured future perhaps. Not to start any great sillyness here but I am not really impressed with our transfer window so far, we seem to have had some big targets and bought some pretty average looking cheapies. Plenty of time yet but really I doubt that our next season is as assured as Tottenham's so far. On the other hand perhaps Shani just fancied Hertfordshire more.

I do not understand why people persist with this drivel. We are an average sized Premier League club trying to live within our means. We have over achieved in the past two seasons because of shrewd signings and good coaching. We are never going to spending £10M+ on every player we buy. Spending £4-5M on players with high upside such as Soares and Juanmi seems to be part of the model of a good stable "selling' club.

You sound just like all those having a meltdown last summer.

As with last year, why not hold off with the panicking and wait to see how things pan out?

Because, until AM paid the £1.5m we knew that we could get him for £6.9m (according to the contract). We also knew that we had time to table a higher amount if/when AM paid the £1.5m. What we didn't know is that AM had decided (for whatever reason) that they were going to string us along by not paying the £1.5m until a deal had been struck with Spurs.

We'll never know what AM's reaction would have been if we'd offered them, say, £12m at the end of last season. Maybe they'd have turned it down because they had been speaking to Spurs in the background for months already and, for whatever reason, they never intended selling Toby to us, regardless of the price.

One thing is for sure, we'd have had people on here saying we blinked too soon if we ended up getting him for £12m when we had a seemingly watertight contract that said we could buy him for £6.9m if AM didn't pay £1.5m by a certain deadline.

Were Saints naive? Possibly, but with a large dose of hindsight thrown in for good measure.

IMO of course.

Edited by trousers

Squad player doesn't mean pub player though and to rubbish him before he has kicked a ball is just stupid. The club proved last year that they could keep their heads whilst all around were losing theirs and I'm sure they will do the same this year. If it all goes pear shaped then is the time to wet the bed. Not now.

Not saying he is a pub player. Just saying he isn't at the same level as Clyne or Toby. It isn't bed wetting to point that out....

I have no doubt we will sign a quality CB I just hope it isn't for stupid money (Long style) because we are desperate to get someone in. We have a lot of time until the window closes, the club need to get the right players. Don't rush in that is all I am saying.

I think we've tried to be clever and get something done on the cheap. Unfortunately Levy got involved and no-one is going to beat him in the sneaky-underhandedness stakes, so it has backfired.

The fact that he has joined the club who provide our best target of cracking the top 6 is sickening. I'm sat at work and can't concentrate because I have a mixture of sick feeling and angry shakes. I hope he gets injured in pre-season and never plays for them. I know it's not right that something so innocuous as a football transfer should make me feel such animosity, but I really hate that parasitic club. Even Rupert had it right about them.

Largely agree with this.

Lets face it, Man City and Chelsea have bigger fish to fry with their transfers than looking at us. Manyoo and Arsenal are only interested when they see something exceptional, Liverpool and Tottenham are a pair of wannabee blood-sucking parasites that lack their own vision and creativity to do things for themselves.

As with last year, why not hold off with the panicking and wait to see how things pan out?

Because the message so far this summer is not an unequivoval "we are building on last summers achievements". Its seems we have gone back to Lowe-esque "Lets maintian the status quo on the cheap".

Again I don't see how I am panicking exactly? I am gutted we lost out on Toby. He was a huge reason for our success last year. I have faith RK will get in the right people, but as I said above we shouldn't just rush out and buy any old person.