Toby

washsaint

As is the modern way, tapped up by fellow international colleagues. But hey, I'm sure Fonte put his two penneth in recently! All we need to do is find world class players that aren't internationals....;)

Probably not far out with this.

The known facts are.

1 AM did not want Toby

2 Toby did not want to stay at AM

3 AM knew that they could get a better price than our initial offer.

4 Toby wanted his move sorted out early in pre season.

Spurs want Toby, offer a good price to AM and Toby gets himself sorted.

Everyone is happy.

Two things I would add would be that Spurs had to up their bid a few times before it was accepted and Toby & agent (dad/brother) were keeping their powder dry with us in case his first choice (Spurs) collapsed.

Two things I would add would be that Spurs had to up their bid a few times before it was accepted and Toby & agent (dad/brother) were keeping their powder dry with us in case his first choice (Spurs) collapsed.
That maes sense, Alderweireld would have told Koeman he was still keen to come to us up to the last day or so,, despite being a long way down the line with Spurs?

The view is that AM only ever saw it as a timing issue, in that once they agreed to sell and knew he had a couple of suitors, they would pay it once they received the monies from Spurs.

Toby kept his options open all the way through, sensible, or stringing us along, I'll let you decide (although the inside line is people feel very let down by his actions).

This...

Two things I would add would be that Spurs had to up their bid a few times before it was accepted

Any idea if that was in reaction to AM coming back to us to invite us to beat Spurs's offers each time or did AM keep us completely out of the bidding loop? Cheers

Ultimately Spurs just threw more money at him, that is the reason he joined them nothing else.

We'll still easily compete with them IMO in the also ran sections because they are a shoddily run club much like Liverpool, they flit from one plan to another, one player to another, one manager to another with no real idea what they are doing. I mean had it not been for them fluking Harry Kane last year they would have been bottom half, I mean credit for giving the guy ago but they only did because all their expensive signings where useless and couldn't score.

I mean if little old Southampton can challenge in the top 4 of probably a third of the budget Liverpool and Spurs operate on how come those clubs can't maximise their resources? That is the question those clubs should be asking not trying to copy everything Saints do.

So Toby is a loss and I'd like to think we could have wrapped this up earlier in the season but we don;t know the full details, but I trust our set up to find an equally as good replacement.

As for Spurs I don't really thinks this strengthens them much, they have got more worries in their team than centre-back they were decently stocked there anyway and as far as I saw pretty decent defensively, yet I don't see any fixing of their over reliance on Kane and Eriksen for goals. What if Kane turns out to be another one season wonder a la Beattie or Francis Jeffers?

We'll still be there and there abouts and I reckon despite all their millions and trying to poach everything we do we'll still worry Liverpool and Spurs all season.

Any idea if that was in reaction to AM coming back to us to invite us to beat Spurs's offers each time or did AM keep us completely out of the bidding loop? Cheers

No one has mentioned us in a bidding war with Spurs, so am presuming when Toby's team made it clear they wanted Spurs, then negotiations took off to find a deal that could be taken forward. Understand AM played hardball until they got the figure they were happy with.

I know Saints were more than happy to pay the agreed sum in the loan deal, but they also had a range in mind if AM pulled the loan figure (and the Spurs number is in That range).

I don't think the actual loss of the player has troubled many...the bullshît surrounding said loss is what seems to have created the animosity.

More embarrassed than angry tbh. Whatever the situation, saints look like they have been duped.

I think a lot of us are forgetting, Toby wasn't our player, Spurs didnt poach him from us, so why all the hate? Be thankful he didn't go to Liverpool, they're our best shot of breaking into the top six, Spurs are better than Liverpool in my opinion (and league position in last 6 years bar one! Spurs are bigger, better and richer than us, it's foolish to think Toby would come here.

I don't think the actual loss of the player has troubled many...the bullshît surrounding said loss is what seems to have created the animosity.

I agree. This has been a soap opera from start to finish. Glad it is finally over and we can look for someone who wants to be here.

Don’t do this often because most fans get it but in this case boy do “some” of you need a good slap down.

Whilst I understand all fans want the best for their club at the same time the reality is there is always a bigger fish. With all respect the corridor at our training facilities ****es all over your stadium so we are talking about a huge club against one punching well above their weight.

Add to this have you seen the plans for our new stadium? We might be in the same division but we are in a totally different league.

Firstly, Alderweireld was never your player. He was on loan and no matter how much you thought he was going to sign for you the reality is he hasn’t. Do you really think he was dragged kicking and screaming to White Hart Lane? Just watch the video on the Spurs website and hear him say quote “It’s a big club and it’s always been a dream to play at a club like Spurs. Now that dream is coming true so I’m very happy, very proud and I will give my best.”

The deal for the player is between Spurs and Atletico Madrid and let’s be frank, has **** all to do with you. If you have any grievances then perhaps start looking at your own club and how a player you wanted so much you never thought to sign permanently in January or at the very end of the window. Only when you know he is going to Spurs you react.

Either way, you got skinned over last year and lots a lot of your top players but made a ton of cash and still had a good season. We had a mediocre season in comparison but then our ambitions are not only higher but realistic. Either way, we still finished above you which pretty much says a lot.

Are you also forgetting that Schneiderlin wants out? Don’t you remember his Tweet when at the last minute you stopped the transfer to us because your weak Chairman got scared at the fans reaction? Either way, he wants out.

So you need to start being realistic and be proud of what you achieved but just understand where you are in the pecking order. Southampton fans live in and around Southampton. Tottenham fans live all over the world.

Oh and since this account was made purely as a slap down I am sure an admin me kill the account once they dry their eyes so not point in responding because once this has been posted it’s served its purpose.

Consider yourself well and truly slapped back down!

Mwah :D

Don’t do this often because most fans get it but in this case boy do “some” of you need a good slap down.

Whilst I understand all fans want the best for their club at the same time the reality is there is always a bigger fish. With all respect the corridor at our training facilities ****es all over your stadium so we are talking about a huge club against one punching well above their weight.

Add to this have you seen the plans for our new stadium? We might be in the same division but we are in a totally different league.

Firstly, Alderweireld was never your player. He was on loan and no matter how much you thought he was going to sign for you the reality is he hasn’t. Do you really think he was dragged kicking and screaming to White Hart Lane? Just watch the video on the Spurs website and hear him say quote “It’s a big club and it’s always been a dream to play at a club like Spurs. Now that dream is coming true so I’m very happy, very proud and I will give my best.”

The deal for the player is between Spurs and Atletico Madrid and let’s be frank, has **** all to do with you. If you have any grievances then perhaps start looking at your own club and how a player you wanted so much you never thought to sign permanently in January or at the very end of the window. Only when you know he is going to Spurs you react.

Either way, you got skinned over last year and lots a lot of your top players but made a ton of cash and still had a good season. We had a mediocre season in comparison but then our ambitions are not only higher but realistic. Either way, we still finished above you which pretty much says a lot.

Are you also forgetting that Schneiderlin wants out? Don’t you remember his Tweet when at the last minute you stopped the transfer to us because your weak Chairman got scared at the fans reaction? Either way, he wants out.

So you need to start being realistic and be proud of what you achieved but just understand where you are in the pecking order. Southampton fans live in and around Southampton. Tottenham fans live all over the world.

Oh and since this account was made purely as a slap down I am sure an admin me kill the account once they dry their eyes so not point in responding because once this has been posted it’s served its purpose.

LOL

yep Spurs are such a massive club constantly living in the Shadow of Arsenal who conduct themselves in a very professional manner. They also win more than you. Spurs are a horrible club, with winging fans with ambitions above their is stature led by a vile little weasel of a chairman who both throw their toys out of their prams when they can't finish in the top four like Arsenal. **** me you can't even invent your own songs. Have Toby, we don't care because our club might be smaller but we are a lot more respected than a load of North London toe rags like Spurs. Now just f... Off.

Is it a possibility we simply didn't want to stump up any more cash and as a result panicked and tried to find a legal breach of the original agreement?

We've signed 3 players on permanent deals for a combined cost of what, just under £10 million? Is the money not available without sales? Or is it a new transfer strategy?

Last season we re-invested considerably and I get the feeling we won't see too many more incomings this summer. Has Les Reed decided we can't and won't try to break through the 'glass ceiling'?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Is it a possibility we simply didn't want to stump up any more cash and as a result panicked and tried to find a legal breach of the original agreement?

We've signed 3 players on permanent deals for a combined cost of what, just under £10 million? Is the money not available without sales? Or is it a new transfer strategy?

Last season we re-invested considerably and I get the feeling we won't see too many more incomings this summer. Has Les Reed decided we can't and won't try to break through the 'glass ceiling'?

I don't know if it is true but I saw somewhere that we trumped Spuds offer but AM just blanked us. Given that Toby said it was his dream come true I think we can assume that his heart was set on Spuds.

yep Spurs are such a massive club constantly living in the Shadow of Arsenal who conduct themselves in a very professional manner. They also win more than you. Spurs are a horrible club, with winging fans with ambitions above their is stature led by a vile little weasel of a chairman who both throw their toys out of their prams when they can't finish in the top four like Arsenal. **** me you can't even invent your own songs. Have Toby, we don't care because our club might be smaller but we are a lot more respected than a load of North London toe rags like Spurs. Now just f... Off.

Arsenal are not well tun. They did nothing about wilshires appealing behaviour the other week.

If Spurs are so much worse, why do arsenal fans obsess about them? It's because they're worried. Spurs are up and coming, soon will have superior finances to arsenal, younger more passionate team and higher class training facilities.

They may not have progressed as much as us recently, because they're at a higher level to start, but they are a good club and I really like they're fan base.

You complain about whining fans but just look at this site...

I have to say there does seem to be a big difference between Wanyama, mane, Jay rod, lovren etc and what we have done so far

The stated aim of the club is to "breed success, not buy success", either via the academy or bringing on young players from elsewhere.

Greetings all from a Spurs fan in peace.

Not here to score any points, I actually rather like Southampton and from what I have seen on here, most of you are a pretty level headed lot. I can understand your disappointment at losing Toby, he appears to be a good player, and obviously I hope that he settles well at Spurs. I have been especially impressed how few of you felt necessary to spout rubbish about our club, footballers change clubs all the time, and as someone pointed out, we tend to lose players to the likes of Real Madrid and Utd. Never happy about that, but I accept every player has the right to play where they want and to make as much money as possible, that is life and football.

I do wish you all the best for the coming season, and look forward to playing your team, may the best side win!

Arsenal are not well tun. They did nothing about wilshires appealing behaviour the other week.

If Spurs are so much worse, why do arsenal fans obsess about them? It's because they're worried. Spurs are up and coming, soon will have superior finances to arsenal, younger more passionate team and higher class training facilities.

They may not have progressed as much as us recently, because they're at a higher level to start, but they are a good club and I really like they're fan base.

Back to the Spurs board for you I think

Let's hope that last season was another case of a CB looking far better than they really are because they were playing alongside the Jose Fonte

I think it's our defensive midfield that elevates our centre backs, rather than Fonte lifting whoever plays alongside him. Fonte is decent, but he's not going to be able to turn Yoshida or Gardos into a top-class player. What we'll really miss without TA in the backline is the ability to pass out from defense. Fonte and Yoshida are both real claggers once they're asked to move the ball more than about ten yards.

Not here to score any points, I actually rather like Southampton and from what I have seen on here, most of you are a pretty level headed lot. I can understand your disappointment at losing Toby, he appears to be a good player, and obviously I hope that he settles well at Spurs. I have been especially impressed how few of you felt necessary to spout rubbish about our club, footballers change clubs all the time, and as someone pointed out, we tend to lose players to the likes of Real Madrid and Utd. Never happy about that, but I accept every player has the right to play where they want and to make as much money as possible, that is life and football.

I do wish you all the best for the coming season, and look forward to playing your team, may the best side win!

Did you really join just to say that? A lot of saints fans have spurs as their least favourite prem team or certainly in top 2 or 3. Go back to your own board and stop being so patronising

Why did you bother to sign up here?

:lol: You signed up on here and even created a username with 'Saint' in it. Spurs do seem a bit obsessed by Saints at the moment.

Did you really join just to say that? A lot of saints fans have spurs as their least favourite prem team or certainly in top 2 or 3. Go back to your own board and stop being so patronising

Apologies if it comes across as patronising, it was meant as anything but that!

Reason for joining? I am a member of several rivals forums, always eager to debate sensibly with any knowledgeable fan, I never offer abuse to anyone, and expect the same in return. I looked at this forum and thought you were a pretty good crowd on the whole. I am certainly not looking to wind anyone up or pick a fight with anyone either.

Why are so many of you coming to our site?

Obsessed.

Think it's only natural that people are disappointed, despondent and/or feel aggrieved. There have always been these type of issues in the game, its just that I think in the modern era of mega wonga, player power, agents influence, playersmercenary nature etc, then these occasions appear more frequent and more high profile.

I also imagine most of us are aware of our place in the pecking order and to have 80 or so League Clubs below is a privileged position to be in (particularly given our recent past). Doesn't mean we won't have a moan bout it though.

As for the Spurs fans giving it the big one about pecking order, status & bsigningcentre backs, then one word should remind them that it's all swings and roundabouts.

SOL CAMPBELL

Thanks for taking the time to drop by with your words of wisdom. Lets face it, you wrote it to make yourself feel better really. All this talk about bigger, better, huger, slapping down, corridors, the importance this seems to have in your life, the status it gives you that you're above us in the pecking order. I feel sorry for you.

I reckon you've got a tiny c*ck.

Now be off with you back to your classless, soulless club and it's Uncle Festa lookalike chairman.

Apologies if it comes across as patronising, it was meant as anything but that!

Reason for joining? I am a member of several rivals forums, always eager to debate sensibly with any knowledgeable fan, I never offer abuse to anyone, and expect the same in return. I looked at this forum and thought you were a pretty good crowd on the whole. I am certainly not looking to wind anyone up or pick a fight with anyone either.

Best way to not wind anyone up is to not create an account on here and start posting patronising crap within hours of you lot signing a player who did well for us last season. So **** off to your other boards that you have such good amicable debate on