Toby

washsaint

IMO Saints tried to be too clever with this buy out clause deadline and it backfired on them. In the meantime Toby got a better offer from Spurs and when Saints eventually pulled there finger out it was too late.

Spurs (and others) have been on the case for months through intermediaries and back channels. Similarly Saints have been crystal clear of their desire to sign him and what they were going to pay him (joint top earner at the Club).

They were also prepared to match any rival with regards the fee up to a certain figure (the £11.5m quoted is well within this).

Toby knew we wanted him and what the deal was, but he also knew of the other offers. Saints were also aware of other suitors but had no mechanism to get him signed up early under a "pre deal", and started getting nervous when the players co agent?? (Dad or brother???) began stalling.

It was then quite clear that he wanted to sign for Spurs and the only hand we had to play was a legal threat, which they are still pursuing, but only in the anticipation of compensation, not of voiding the deal.

Toby is on much more at Spurs and there are other financial inducements. He and his team have driven this and ignored all attempts by us to tie him down, once he was first tapped up a fair few months ago he was off.

Spurs (and others) have been on the case for months through intermediaries and back channels. Similarly Saints have been crystal clear of their desire to sign him and what they were going to pay him (joint top earner at the Club).

They were also prepared to match any rival with regards the fee up to a certain figure (the £11.5m quoted is well within this).

Toby knew we wanted him and what the deal was, but he also knew of the other offers. Saints were also aware of other suitors but had no mechanism to get him signed up early under a "pre deal", and started getting nervous when the players co agent?? (Dad or brother???) began stalling.

It was then quite clear that he wanted to sign for Spurs and the only hand we had to play was a legal threat, which they are still pursuing, but only in the anticipation of compensation, not of voiding the deal.

Toby is on much more at Spurs and there are other financial inducements. He and his team have driven this and ignored all attempts by us to tie him down, once he was first tapped up a fair few months ago he was off.

So, to summarise, Toby has lied to the club (and by extension the fans) about his intentions?

I still don't get why AM were seemingly happy to tie up the deal at Spurs' opening bid price when they knew they could likely get significantly more by creating a competitive bidding situation. Seems bizarre from a business perspective.

Edited by trousers

In fact I think we may have blown our only real chance of becoming a top 6 club. We had all that it took last season, we were there and 6th at worst looked nailed on. We persisted with a striker who couldn't buy a goal instead of shelling out a few swans for an alternative and coupled with a serious injury to our only credible keeper we eventually managed the unmanagable and finished outside of the top 6. Now we have more sales meaning that the entire spine of the side will be changed again for the start of next season and top 10 may well be a very good position at the end of the season.

We won't be a top 6 club until we pay top 6 wages. We may finish 6th once or twice in the next 20 seasons because another club has a bad season but I truly do not know what some people on here expect.

We offer a player a contract, another team offers more. Player goes to other team. Unless we start chucking loads of cash at top players they will not sign for us during the prime years of their career.

It's so blindingly obvious I wonder why people don't understand it.

So, to summarise, Toby has lied to the club (and by extension the fans) about his intentions?

I still don't get why AM were seemingly happy to tie up the deal at Spurs' opening bid price when they knew they could likely get significantly more by creating a competitive bidding situation. Seems bizarre from a business perspective.

That's the impression I've got. Alderweireld seems to have strung the club and Koeman along through the summer, possibly keeping us sweet as a back up option in case the Spurs deal fell through.

That's the bit I don't get but I'm sure there must have been an incentive for them to do a deal with Spurs in this way, legitimate or not!

If Toby didn't have any intention to sign for us then fair enough. Another example of being hamstrung by our wage structure in terms of keeping very good players. Not the clubs fault of course, just the reality.

Wrong. He missed ten league games (if you include United). Given he joined only on the transfer deadline, that's nearly a third of the season. Not untrivial.

And we still finished with the second best defensive record after the champs.

Perhaps we don't give enough credit to Koeman and his ability to organise a defence that is better than the sum of its parts.

He wasn't a bad defender himself.

I thought he was saying if both clubs offered the same amount? In that instance I'd 100% expect him to come here.

I live in Farringdon, living in London isn't all that, I'd rather live in Hampshire any day but can't be arsed with a commute.

With my current 'average' income I agree- Hampshire all the way. If I were a rich footballer however I'd go for London every time. It is nice to think that Toby might pick us because 'he likes us', but money talks. He was never ours though so we can't really get too annoyed. Lovren, Alderweireld, who next? I'm sure we'll get a half decent replacement.

Firstly how did Spurs poach your manager. MP made it very clear he was walking, saw no point in staying if the man that he thought had put SFC where they were, Cortese ,was gone. SFC got rid of Cortese.

When managers leave they usually take the back room staff/coaches and players. What makes SFC so different?

Also your club supposedly broke an agreement to let MS go. Spurs have taken none of your players. Yet Liverpool have taken 4 and Man U 1, soon to be 2, and Woolwich wanderers Chambers.

Where's the hate? After all 'who the **** is Pochettino?'

As for Spurs jumping you with Bale, I doubt we sent men to your clubs door when your were in financial ruin, which was nobody's fault but yours.

You chose to renegotiate Bale's sell on clause. Why his and not Walcott's. I suggest because at the time Bale was considered a flop and you thought keeping the sell on clause with Theo would be the better option. It's not Spur's fault you did that.

After all in 2008 Spurs tried to offload Bale to Hamburg to Jol for £6m. If this was before you took the £3m or after, both parties obviously thought Bale was not a great left back.

Obviously your owners thought Bale would never get £12m in the market and £3m was having Spurs over.

Alternierend was not your player. His loan ended on the 30th June. As early as June 6th AM advised they would be paying the £1.5m buy out. You were reluctant to get into a bidding war were you not?

It was a stupid loan to have. AM do that as standard to hedge their bets. They did it with Mario Suarez. It was obvious if they got offered more they would buy back the option.

Anyway, the player has to want to go. He chose Spurs.

Liverpool you finished above. You have never finished above spurs in the EPL. You have sold player to Liverpool who have only made the TOP 5 once since 2009 and realistically are just as much your 'rivals'. Spurs have finished above Liverpool since 2009, bar once - when they had no European football.

Yet you have no animosity towards Liverpool who you have sold to again despite finishing above them?

Get over it.

Can we add a setting to the Black Box to avoid money grubbing bastards. Although admittedly we may end up with a very small pool of players to choose from...

I always feel like I need to stand up for players in these situations; if someone offered you a job doing what you do now but for a bigger company on double the money, would you stay where you are out of loyalty? Probably not, because the more money you make, the better your lifestyle. Add into the mix the fact that as a footballer you might only have a career that lasts 14 years or so and it makes total sense.

Firstly how did Spurs poach your manager. MP made it very clear he was walking, saw no point in staying if the man that he thought had put SFC where they were, Cortese ,was gone. SFC got rid of Cortese.

When managers leave they usually take the back room staff/coaches and players. What makes SFC so different?

Also your club supposedly broke an agreement to let MS go. Spurs have taken none of your players. Yet Liverpool have taken 4 and Man U 1, soon to be 2, and Woolwich wanderers Chambers.

As for Spurs jumping you with Bale, I doubt we sent men to your clubs door when your were in financial ruin, which was nobody's fault but yours.

You chose to renegotiate Bale's sell on clause. Why his and not Walcott's. I suggest because at the time Bale was considered a flop and you thought keeping the sell on clause with Theo would be the better option. It's not Spur's fault you did that.

After all in 2008 Spurs tried to offload Bale to Hamburg to Jol for £6m. If this was before you took the £3m or after, both parties obviously thought Bale was not a great left back.

Obviously your owners thought Bale would never get £12m in the market and £3m was having Spurs over.

Alternierend was not your player. His loan ended on the 30th June. As early as June 6th AM advised they would be paying the £1.5m buy out. You were reluctant to get into a bidding war were you not?

It was a stupid loan to have. AM do that as standard to hedge their bets. They did it with Mario Suarez. It was obvious if they got offered more they would buy back the option.

Liverpool you finished above. You have never finished above spurs in the EPL. You have sold player to Liverpool who have only made the TOP 5 once since 2009 and realistically are just as much your 'rivals'. Spurs have finished above Liverpool since 2009, bar once - when they had no European football.

Yet you have no animosity towards Liverpool who you have sold to again despite finishing above them?

Get over it.

This guy :lol:

Get over it.

We also renegotiated Walcott's sell-on clause, you plum. Nothing to do with thinking that Bale would flop.

Get over it.

There is A LOT of ill informed nonsense it that! :D

Lets start with this easy one to pick apart...

You have never finished above spurs in the EPL.

Saints finished above Spurs in the Premier League in...

1997/98

2000/01

2002/03

2003/04

Get over it.

Thanks for your time random supporter of the ****e team in North London, a couple of points

Poch kept saying "Don't worry I have 1 year left on my contract" You did poach him and Mitchell. You tried with Jay Rod and Morgan with laughable offers.

As for never finishing above you in the Premier League I suggest you do your research, can't be a very good 'Fan' of the club if you didn't realise we finished above you in the 2002-3 season where we also stuffed you 4-0 on the way to the final of the F.A cup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002%E2%80%9303_FA_Premier_League

Get over it.

Why don't you go and post your drivel on the Spur's forums instead of on here?

Get over it.

There's plenty of animosity towards Liverpool.

The fact is, Spurs poached our Manager, our First Team coaching staff, our head of Recruitment and our CB from last season. That does suggest someone from Tottenham has got a bit of a thing for this particular club and the way we work.

There's plenty of animosity towards Liverpool.

The fact is, Spurs poached our Manager, our First Team coaching staff, our head of Recruitment and our CB from last season. That does suggest someone from Tottenham has got a bit of a thing for this particular club and the way we work.

Yep they are much better club than us which is why they are desperately trying to become saints MK2 :lol:

Get over it.

I actually think you do have some valid points but that bit in bold... :lol: You've clearly not been on here before. After P**tsmouth Liverpool are probably the least popular club on here (and probably a few other message boards). I've not really got anything against Spurs personally. I mean, if Poch and Toby are available you'd be a mug not to take them.

You are right though, we have no right being p*ssed at the Bale settlement, as frustrating as it is with hindsight we needed the money up front to stave off administration. Getting Forecast though was inexcusable, a 5 year contract for that waste of space... I still have nightmares.

We can't have any complaints about Toby either although again, it's frustrating. Without wanting to sound like Sour grapes though, don't think he's gone there because you are a 'bigger club'. He is there for the money and would p*ss off to Man Utd or Chelsea at the drop of a hat next summer if they came in with an offer. Same as 99% of players out there.

See this is what's confusing me. Everyone (media etc...) seem to agree that we had an option to buy for 6.8m and that Madrid could override/cancel this with a 1.5m payment (was even in the BBC story about Toby signing for Spurs).

Between what's being said here and also from Saint Tony earlier, the deal between Spurs and Madrid has been in place for weeks now and that it was always Tobys preference to go to Spurs. In that case, why didn't Madrid just pay us the 1.5m at the start as it was the only thing that could have got in the way of the deal and has now left them open to a legal challenge?

Also seems odd that if the club were well aware of the situation and that we wouldn't get Toby to let Koeman say there way still a chance only a day ago!

Dunno, stuff just doesn't add up. Too late now though. See what compensation we are entitled to and find a new replacement ASAP.

The fact is that they are a bigger club than us but they are not as big as they think they are!! Apart from perhaps the odd season or two here and there we will one of the big 4 or 6. Based on our fanbase /capacity we have less chance of breaking into that group than clubs like Everton, Leeds, Newcastle and Sunderland but based on our Academy and business strategy we seem to have a much better opportunity than them at this time. As such unless we had a fanbase of 40-50k who we knew for sure would turn up every week we do not need that size ground and therefore we are limited in some regard. Our way of progressing and attempting to have that one or two good season is by training our own, selling the odd one or three for very decent money and by buying players who are devloping s othat for 2-3 years we get them and then sell to fuel the whole process and on it goes. This my friends is our reality....

Two things ; re sell on clause buy out , I think Saints were desperate for cash so a few £M was good at the time. Who was predicting the progress Bale would make , nor 'array!Re players moving to 'big' clubs , It seems that players are looking to make THE move that will secure them financially for life , they don't necessarily do well at the 'big' club but have made it !

Koeman: I am very confident that Clyne will sign for us, I am very confident Toby will sign for us, I am very confident that .............. will sign for us!

I'm very confident that I'll get home this evening. Something may happen to prevent that but I'm still confident it'll happen.

(a.k.a. Trousers Weak Analogy Tactic (T.W.A.T.))

Get over it.

giphy.gif

Get over it.

Mainly fair. I dont dislike Spurs, I do Liverpool as I grew up with lots of mates who were Liverpool fans as they ruled Division 1 (now EPL) for a long time. I have little worry about that with Spurs. They are the Saints of London,nearly getting there but as they get close the bigger and better clubs take the better players away.

I like Poch and feel he will do well, but you will not finish above Arsenal or the like for a longtime as you like Saints will sell the players who can take you there.

Time will tell if Toby will cut it at Spurs but i have never rated centre halves who are more worried about their hair than counting their scars on their face.

Good luck to you and you may laud over us for another season but at the end of the day, you are just us but a couple of places up the league. Enjoy the Europa league as that is where you will be for years. i personally dont care for European football but i know you wannabees do

Get over it.

Ahh, such a short sighted view.

If it were not for Saints drawing with you on the last day of the 77-78 season Brighton would have been promoted. I was at that game & if I have ever seen a fixed game this was it.

We move forward to LeTissier. You made an illegal contact with him & agreed a contract with him prior to anyone at Saints being informed. Read his book.

Ruddock. Vegetables signs Ruddock on the cheap based on a low salary that will increase in YR2 to reduce the transfer value. He then left because you went beck on the deal. Read his book.

The way Hoddle left us for you guys. He could have left at the end of the season with full support from Saints, but he left ASAP to hunt the glory of an cup final. He failed.

Dean Richards. The way you handled that (North London Yobbo's) was another example.

Potchetino, Mitchell & now Alderverweild simply show you to be like the class room **** who thinks hes the coolest in the class because his dad buys him all the gear that is supposed to be trendy. Problem is, he is still a **** with no friends. To try & make himself popular he tries to bully some of the smaller kids. The kids who are actually decent honest hard working kids. He gets away with it most of the time, but ultimately he is still a T W A T in a pair of **** trainers with no mates.

The top 6 is perpetuated by the media (mostly London based), Sky & the FA. You hold all the aces, but you still win the sum total of FA. Keep living in the shadow of Arsenal & go a copy the cool kids...............................

With my current 'average' income I agree- Hampshire all the way. If I were a rich footballer however I'd go for London every time. It is nice to think that Toby might pick us because 'he likes us', but money talks. He was never ours though so we can't really get too annoyed. Lovren, Alderweireld, who next? I'm sure we'll get a half decent replacement.

I live in a rather expensive bit of London (although not as bad as the really plush areas), but if I was rich I'd still rather live in rural Hampshire or Dorset, but then that's just me. Each to his own. Of course if I was super rich I'd just have a house in each place!

If it were not for Saints drawing with you on the last day of the 77-78 season Brighton would have been promoted. I was at that game & if I have ever seen a fixed game this was it.

We move forward to LeTissier. You made an illegal contact with him & agreed a contract with him prior to anyone at Saints being informed. Read his book.

Ruddock. Vegetables signs Ruddock on the cheap based on a low salary that will increase in YR2 to reduce the transfer value. He then left because you went beck on the deal. Read his book.

The way Hoddle left us for you guys. He could have left at the end of the season with full support from Saints, but he left ASAP to hunt the glory of an cup final. He failed.

Dean Richards. The way you handled that (North London Yobbo's) was another example.

Potchetino, Mitchell & now Alderverweild simply show you to be like the class room **** who thinks hes the coolest in the class because his dad buys him all the gear that is supposed to be trendy. Problem is, he is still a **** with no friends. To try & make himself popular he tries to bully some of the smaller kids. The kids who are actually decent honest hard working kids. He gets away with it most of the time, but ultimately he is still a T W A T in a pair of **** trainers with no mates.

The top 6 is perpetuated by the media (mostly London based), Sky & the FA. You hold all the aces, but you still win the sum total of FA. Keep living in the shadow of Arsenal & go a copy the cool kids...............................

Nice one. You forgot to mention that they are so unimaginative and dim that they pretend 'Oh when the Spurs' is somehow their creation. And also just for your info the way that they conducted themselves over the deal for their new stadium is pretty disgraceful, so I understand.

excellent

I live in a rather expensive bit of London (although not as bad as the really plush areas), but if I was rich I'd still rather live in rural Hampshire or Dorset, but then that's just me. Each to his own. Of course if I was super rich I'd just have a house in each place!

I was born and spent the first 10 years of my life in S London. I worked for most of my life in London. I now live in rural Kent and would not go back to London for any money. Not to live or work anyway. But plenty of people like it so what do I know. Other than it is overcrowded, overpriced, dirty and full of nobs.

I don't have much of an issue with Spurs but Jesus their fans talk some crap.They laugh at the idea of some of our mong fans have that we're as big as Spurs (we know we're not) and will quite happily think they're as big as Liverpool.

When people refer to Spurs as our rivals, we clearly don't mean rivals in the way spurs and arsenal are or us and pompey, but rivals in the sense that we're directly competing with you for a top 6 spot. You may not like that much as we're so much smaller than you and don't deserve to be there with the "big boys", but current football success isn't defined by whether or not you won the Worthington cup 20 years ago, it's about the here and now, and right now both clubs have a very similar level of team, as the table showed last year. The big advantage Spurs have over us is the ability to pay players more money. Players care about 3 things: money, immediate European prospects and the prospects for the immediate future (the next 2 or 3 years). Spurs beat us on money. Neither team have any realistic chance of champions league football any time soon, and both can offer Europa league. That's it.

There is clear animosity towards Liverpool on here, but not from me to be honest. I just think they're lazy. They can't be bothered to scout around for decent players for sensible fees so instead just buy current decent PL performers for stupid money. By doing so they are providing us with funds to grow. As for last summer, we screwed United, arsenal and Liverpool for huge fees for our players, whereas spurs bid 10 million for the best central midfielder in the league. You make derisory bids like that and get expected to be taken seriously? **** off

Dont care what anyone says, Saints have only themselves to blame on this. Should have wrapped it up once season ended.

How? AM clearly knew that his value had risen after a decent season in the Prem. From the minute the season closed they were after more money for him. None of know the full details about what went on. Until we do is there any point in trying to attach blame?

I'm not convinced we were ever in for him tbh. All Agent talk to force the price up for others. If we reslly wanted him we had a year to setup the deal. The press pretty much all had him coming here, so imagine we have other, more CL quality targets from our scouting setup.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Dont care what anyone says, Saints have only themselves to blame on this. Should have wrapped it up once season ended.

Nonsense , how could it be " wrapped up then?"They clearly had to wait until the loan ended and the transfer window opened.

What do you think, that spurs only became interested then?

IMO Saints tried to be too clever with this buy out clause deadline and it backfired on them. In the meantime Toby got a better offer from Spurs and when Saints eventually pulled there finger out it was too late.

Probably not far out with this.

The known facts are.

1 AM did not want Toby

2 Toby did not want to stay at AM

3 AM knew that they could get a better price than our initial offer.

4 Toby wanted his move sorted out early in pre season.

Spurs want Toby, offer a good price to AM and Toby gets himself sorted.

Everyone is happy.

See this is what's confusing me. Everyone (media etc...) seem to agree that we had an option to buy for 6.8m and that Madrid could override/cancel this with a 1.5m payment (was even in the BBC story about Toby signing for Spurs).

Between what's being said here and also from Saint Tony earlier, the deal between Spurs and Madrid has been in place for weeks now and that it was always Tobys preference to go to Spurs. In that case, why didn't Madrid just pay us the 1.5m at the start as it was the only thing that could have got in the way of the deal and has now left them open to a legal challenge?

Also seems odd that if the club were well aware of the situation and that we wouldn't get Toby to let Koeman say there way still a chance only a day ago!

Dunno, stuff just doesn't add up. Too late now though. See what compensation we are entitled to and find a new replacement ASAP.

The view is that AM only ever saw it as a timing issue, in that once they agreed to sell and knew he had a couple of suitors, they would pay it once they received the monies from Spurs.

Toby kept his options open all the way through, sensible, or stringing us along, I'll let you decide (although the inside line is people feel very let down by his actions).