Toby

washsaint

**** me. Far too many people on here think that players have no say in where they go and that if we paid more than Spurs that he would be coming here. If he wanted to come here he most likely would have. A similar or better offer came from Spurs and HE chose to go there (seemingly). Criticising the board is truly pathetic.

**** me. Far too many people on here think that players have no say in where they go and that if we paid more than Spurs that he would be coming here. If he wanted to come here he most likely would have. A similar or better offer came from Spurs and HE chose to go there (seemingly). Criticising the board is truly pathetic.

100% this

It's what this place is about though. These clowns all think they could run a football club better than the current administration.

Hilarious at how many are moaning at Saints for not getting the deal done based on speculation and Journalist musings.

The fact is, none of us (apart from Monk) have a clue what has actually gone on, I personally, highly doubt that Saints just metaphorically slept in their Hammocks and let Spurs sneak into the toilets with Toby, it's much more likely that Atletico just ignored our advances completely, did the deal with Spurs and just didn't care about the compensation payment as it is a relatively small amount in footballing terms.

People blaming Saints when they've no idea what actually happened, absolutely pathetic.

Surely the player has a say, especially these days. He could reject Spurs and tell Atletico that he wants to come here.

Sad, sad, preventable , amateurish performance.

Cant be arsed with this crap anymore.

We do seem to be terribly amateurish at the contract side of the business...

This kind of farcical element in players coming and going appears to have a repetitive theme.....

If Les is in charge of these matters then he maybe needs to delegate this side of things....

We need to sharpen up if we are to progress both on and off the field..

Exceptional stuff. Well done boys.

he probably didn't actually want to come back.

If TA and RK had been talking then RK would of told him we will be bidding for you and you will be a Saints player just hold tight and wait.

So how has TA now signed for Spurs ?

You all seem to be assuming that the rumours are right that he has signed for Spuds.

What if those rumours are not true? What if the rumours that his Dad/agent has said nothing has been agreed are true? What if we believe the discussion between other football agents and journalists on Twitter that this is just part of the game of how transfers progress? What if the rumours that he has told friends he wants to come back to Saints are true?

And what about the assertion that he was not having a medical today by the very same journalist who is now claiming the deal is done? What if he was correct last night but is guessing tonight?

Let's just wait and see. Even if it is announced tomorrow that he has signed for the Spuds, he could end up having to sit it out at WHL while the legal experts get to the bottom of it. Or maybe they will allow him to play, but once they discover that AM have broken their contract with Saints, perhaps they will insist that the surplus transfer fee over what Saints had agreed to pay be paid to Saints instead, plus any sell-on benefits, etc. plus some level of fine.

Disappointing but I'm sure the club did all they could to get it done. Interestingly, I wonder if it would've all panned differently without the clauses in place, i.e. would we have looked to get something sorted out earlier at the market rate in January even? Academic now.

I look forward to seeing who we bring in now (I'm hoping there will be someone) and a new hero for our fans. I'm also just glad Twitter didn't exist when Kevin Keegan disappeared off to Newcastle right before the season started, back in 1982. Can you imagine the meltdown...

Unfortunately this whole saga is a morale blow to the recent positive trend in the saints marketing machine. Others will see this as saints being put in their place and reinforce the hierarchical view that we cannot compete and are inferior despite our results to a team that only just finished above us, until we start winning head to head business transfers like this it will have a knock on effect on the maximum calibre of targets we can attract.

Not upset but I was hopeful as keeping Toby would have been a big statement. Am, and Spurs once again, have taught us that ruthlessness is the route to success.

We run our club well and I like that we have seeming honour and principles, I'd personally rather we kept that at the cost of greater success. But this is a reflection of my own values, if I was able to be a bastard I'd be a lot wealthier and 'successful' for sure, but I'm not one of those people that could look myself in the mirror afterwards and that is a weakness I acknowledge but am content with.

You all seem to be assuming that the rumours are right that he has signed for Spuds.

What if those rumours are not true? What if the rumours that his Dad/agent has said nothing has been agreed are true? What if we believe the discussion between other football agents and journalists on Twitter that this is just part of the game of how transfers progress? What if the rumours that he has told friends he wants to come back to Saints are true?

And what about the assertion that he was not having a medical today by the very same journalist who is now claiming the deal is done? What if he was correct last night but is guessing tonight?

Let's just wait and see. Even if it is announced tomorrow that he has signed for the Spuds, he could end up having to sit it out at WHL while the legal experts get to the bottom of it. Or maybe they will allow him to play, but once they discover that AM have broken their contract with Saints, perhaps they will insist that the surplus transfer fee over what Saints had agreed to pay be paid to Saints instead, plus any sell-on benefits, etc. plus some level of fine.

Tomorrow will tell all. Sven is actually the more reliable of sources, but his tune has changed rather quickly as well.

So we'll see. If we hear nothing tomorrow, then it's clearly not as it seems. But as has been said, it's the hope that kills you.

he probably didn't actually want to come back.

If TA and RK had been talking then RK would of told him we will be bidding for you and you will be a Saints player just hold tight and wait.

So how has TA now signed for Spurs ?

Player says one thing and (probably) does something totally different shocker!! Who would have thought that that might happen?

Next time you read a post from the doom-mongers on here, just imagine they were touching themselves when they wrote it. That takes away all their power.

IF Toby signs for Spurs in the next few days it'll be a mighty shame but there are other players out there - not the end of the world.

@ Batman, Definition of a top six club is where it finishes not how big it is, if it was defined by that then Manchester United would be favs to win the league every year cause they are after all the biggest team in the league by a big margin. we are the 15 th biggest team, but are a top 8 team. Spurs are in every way a top 6 team league position and by size. but we only finished 2 points off them and I believe the club can close that little gap up, so that is what i meant by a so called top 6 team as i fully expect us to be challenging them again this season and finish above them.

Back to the topic.

From what i understand, Toby could have agreed a deal with Saints before the agreement with AM was signed ( not always does this happen, But some times the player agrees in advanced in the loan to buy option ).

If this is the case and AM missed the dead line then he is a Saints player legally.

if i can recall interviews with Koeman my understanding is that AM are standing in the way of making Tobys loan perm not Toby.

But of course no one knows ( but those in the club ) what is written on the contract or if Toby has pre agreed a deal. If Toby has not pre agreed terms with us then the dead line has no real meaning and should not have been written into his loan agreement to start with, as no transfer can happen with out the player first agreeing to join permanently ( signing a pre contract )

If Toby has pre agreed a contract with us and as the paper's says has been for a medical and discussed a contract with Spurs, maybe the FA are blocking his transfer till the details of the contract between AM and us are known, this could take around a week or so, if it turns out he is a Saints player then AM will be in trouble and Spurs might be too. might be why some people seem to think we are going to take the matter to the FA and FIFA.

Player says one thing and (probably) does something totally different shocker!! Who would have thought that that might happen?

Just goes to show how easily us football fans can be sucked in

I still don't see how Toby can legally go Spurs. So what if we will get a cash settlement when we take it to court, shouldn't it be ruled that our settlement should be the right to signing Toby? If the contract says what we think it says than how are Spurs and AM allowed to proceed?

Also, AM imo have no right to ignore us. They broke the contract so we complained, simple. What else are we supposed to do, they are the ones who broke the contract agreement.

I still don't see how Toby can legally go Spurs. So what if we will get a cash settlement when we take it to court, shouldn't it be ruled that our settlement should be the right to signing Toby? If the contract says what we think it says than how are Spurs and AM allowed to proceed?

Also, AM imo have no right to ignore us. They broke the contract so we complained, simple. What else are we supposed to do, they are the ones who broke the contract agreement.

It's up to Toby at the end of the day. He picked Spurs over us and there was nothing we could have done. Now AM have possibly 'persuaded' him (one way or another) to opt for Spurs, that's another story and also nothing we could do about it.

Have AM broken the contract just because they didn't pay up? They can simply imply that, we were the first option but TA didn't want to come to us.

Edited by LVSaint

The most disappointing thing about this (if true) is that he's signing for Spurs of all clubs, possibly our biggest rival in our mini league in the table at present.

If I'm honest, I never really thought we would be able to pull off signing Toby permanently in spite of the option to buy clause, because he played so impressively last season that he was always going to attract offers from clubs who can offer him (and Atletico) more than us. Just gutting that he's chosen Spurs.

So it's official then?

Nope. Just that the pretty solid svenclaes now claims it's done, and will be announced tomorrow. So we shall see. Whatever happens, I'd love to see what comes out in the wash regarding this. It's not how it seems in the media, lots of games have been played.

This is a new low!

I seriosly am shocked and embarrassed to be associated................................................

................................not with the Toby transfer but with the Apline-esq meltdown on here. Seriously guys, go to the fridge and grab a can of 'toughen the **** up'. S*** happens & players will sign for who ever pays them the most. Have we not learnt anything from the past 5/6 years, particularly offseason last year.

We are reliant on fantasy published in the press but if the basics can be believed AM had a break clause which they allegedly did not action in time nor have paid the money which meant we had first dibs for TA at a pre-arranged price. Have we paid them the pre-arranged price to obtain his contract/registration? It appears once AM did not activate the break clause and paid the fee Saints were in pole position to sign him but TA appears to be going to Spurs. It does not hang together guys and I cannot wait for an eventual statement from Saints.

In an earlier post on this topic a poster alluded to a senior member of the Saints management team responsible for inter alia 'legal matters' left suddenly on 24 June 2015. I have no idea if this event is connected and certainly will not conjecture but I do know my definition of 'mutual consent' compared to 'pursuing other interests' after 40 years in business.

**** me , some of the posts on here are laughable .

Who do they think is in charge of the club The Chuckle Brothers, , Forest Gump , some clueless ****wit ? I've no doubt the club did everything possible to sign the guy and then explored every legal angle to scupper the move to Spurs . Yet again the club are getting the clog , yet the player is the one who is signing for spurs . Les Read and co want what's best for the club and acted in the best interests of the club . Toby acted in the best interests of Toby, yet Read gets the clog on here from some jokers .

Thank **** we don't have a " fan in the board" and I hope and pray one of our clowns doesnt win the euro millions and buy Kat out. We really would become a laughing stock then .

And we went public (which we generally never do)

He was there for us. The best quality signing in a generation and we blew it IMO

Not sure how you come to that conclusion.

Toby knew he was wanted here, he was happy with the deal, manager and vision, but before we had any chance of doing the deal with Atletico Madrid and himself, Spurs put a counter offer on the table.

There is/was no option of a pre deal contract the way we have got some of our youngsters tied up before their "proper"

first contract.

Quite simply he chose them (and understand his dad/brother??? were influential I n all this, co agent???).

The current impasse is Saints arguing over the option they had and Spurs have had to hold back from going public so

as not to prejudice theirs (& AMs) position. However, Spurs now want to force the deal through and will

announce imminently.

We will be left to argue with AM, FA & UEFA, but the feeling is that won't stop the player playing where he wants to go.

Hilarious at how many are moaning at Saints for not getting the deal done based on speculation and Journalist musings.

The fact is, none of us (apart from Monk) have a clue what has actually gone on, I personally, highly doubt that Saints just metaphorically slept in their Hammocks and let Spurs sneak into the toilets with Toby, it's much more likely that Atletico just ignored our advances completely, did the deal with Spurs and just didn't care about the compensation payment as it is a relatively small amount in footballing terms.

People blaming Saints when they've no idea what actually happened, absolutely pathetic.

Calm. Just because people realise the club have royally messed up it doesn't mean we don't love Saints anymore. We'll still be there with our STs singing our balls off. No need to be offended that people are disappointed with something. :)

I don't get the anger towards Saints, he wanted to sign for Spurs, he wasn't even our player.

Less anger, more disappointment perhaps.

By all accounts (including Toby himself and Ronald) made it very clear he wanted to stay. We went the cheap route instead of making sure we got it done. We lost the best defender to play for us in a generation. Pretty understandable why people are angry/disappointed. Oh, and to our nearest rival probably grates on people too.

Thank FOOOOOK the Ashes starts today so we can take our minds off Saints. :lol: Now watch us get bowled out for under 100.

Edited by niceandfriendly

This time last year many of same posters were over reacting because Lovren left.

I expect that they hadn't heard of Toby then.

Although he is a superb CB he wasn't our best defender for a generation - he wasn't our best CB last season!!

A year ago I was hoping we would sign the Celtic CB. Sounds like he has improved and is available.

I suggest waiting for official updates before criticise a poster who said Toby would not sign for Spurs.

There is a lot of criticism on here of our club....without knowing the facts. Maybe keep an open mind?

Or even acknowledge how great Les R has been so maybe knows what he is going??!!

At the very least it sounds like we've been taken for a ride here either by Toby or Athletico. All pointed to us being able to complete the deal but looks like Spurs are going wrap this up.

Hope we haven't banked on keeping him and now we are well behind in our pre season plans. We need reinforcements pronto as our defence for the opening games looks quite weak and inexperienced. Only one of our first choice back 5 will be available!

Our departures this year are shaping up to be as significant as last year despite Reed saying we were well prepared etc.

Lot of work to do now just to make the team as good as it was last year.

Just hope we didn't try and be clever and get him on the cheap on a technicality and it blew up in our faces. Much too risky a game to play with such an important player.

**** me , some of the posts on here are laughable .

Who do they think is in charge of the club The Chuckle Brothers, , Forest Gump , some clueless ****wit ? I've no doubt the club did everything possible to sign the guy and then explored every legal angle to scupper the move to Spurs . Yet again the club are getting the clog , yet the player is the one who is signing for spurs . Les Read and co want what's best for the club and acted in the best interests of the club . Toby acted in the best interests of Toby, yet Read gets the clog on here from some jokers .

Thank **** we don't have a " fan in the board" and I hope and pray one of our clowns doesnt win the euro millions and buy Kat out. We really would become a laughing stock then .

Amen to that...

The biggest disappointment of all this if he does sign for Spurs is out of last seasons successful back 5 we'll be faced with Forster in the treatment room for most of the year, Bertrand with no pre season, Clyne and Alderweireld to our closest 'league' rivals , at least last year we lost players for massive fees which softened the blow.

I bl00dy hate Spurs and Liverpool, Pochetinno and Rogers just hope we manage to beat them both next season.

He's going to Spurs. Some people really need to give it up and accept, it's not worth the stress it seems to be causing a few on here who have been posting on this thread every 5 minutes for the last week. It's a bit of a ****ter but we just need to move on.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

It's still in limbo, IMO. Yes there are reliable reports that all the formalities have been completed with Spurs, and that's probably the case.

But they will still be concerned about legalities, problems with registration and that is what they are trying to get clear.

It will come down in the end to what Toby wants. I'm not convinced he has a clear preference either way, but wanted to be sorted and Levy told him could be with Spurs, even though that's not necessarily true. So, with no move from Saints, that was his best option.

If he does want away, Saints will let him go. The fact that we haven't stepped back and just accepted compensation makes me think this plot has more twists to come than a twisty thing in a twister.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Be interesting to know if koeman was genuinely hopeful of signing toby or was he just putting a brave face on? If toby wanted spurs not a lot saints could do about it however looking at it from the outside it does seem pretty farcical the whole saga.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

The club were expecting him to sign he was even allocated a new apprentice .

Complete f**k-up, in my opinion.

Board were overconfident at how last summer turned out and all the plaudits received.

As has been said, the most successful back 5 in the EPL from last season is now almost completely dismantled. And this is where we will have problems this season. :(

Board were overconfident at how last summer turned out and all the plaudits received.

As has been said, the most successful back 5 in the EPL from last season is now almost completely dismantled. And this is where we will have problems this season. :(

Considerate of you to start your meltdown a bit earlier today. For the benefit of those going out to work? ;)

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Have we lost the Ashes yet??

Agreed. The happy clappers can dress it up however they like, but you have said it as it is.

If he simply preferred Spurs and was never going to join Saints then that is fair enough, but I wish Koeman had kept his mouth shut about the player wanting to join us and the club leaking information to that effect as well.

If he would have happily joined us but Spurs stole a march on us because we thought we were being clever with some legal clause stuff then that is deeply disappointing, moreso given the relatively low fee for a player of his quality.

Lessons to be learned one way or another.

Lets hope his replacement is anywhere near as good.