Saints vs Burnley - Build Up

Lighthouse

Got a good feeling about today. Burnley are a hardworking and well organised team, but our confidence is back and we are due some goals. Can't see anything other than a 4-1 Saints win.

Can I tempt you with 5-1? Perhaps sir will enjoy this delicious 4-nil :)

If Turks has a resurrection he won't be happy about that.

I think a more fitting tribute would be simple placards of A4 size, bearing the legend "Free the Turkish One". It'd be proper lols and we'd look classy and internationalist on MoTD, like we cared about an imprisoned journalist or something.

To your inkjet printers!

Everyone on here said that about Lovren too.

Not for the first time, I'm with you Jonnyboy. I'm very pleased to have Toby back in the side, but Fonte is what you'd call a long-time player. I think people have forgotten how ably he has dealt with different levels of opposition over the years, Premier League standard for the last three.

As it goes, I think the whole defensive unit makes each other look good. We're normally breaking up play so much that when Fonte does get a touch, it is usually the result of a backpass, and usually the start of another attacking move. Very compact in defence when up against it too.

Most of all though, there's a reason he has been made captain. No matter what, league one to our current lofty heights, the man has taken responsibility. There has rarely been talk of him leaving the club, and never any wantaway noise from the player himself. Absolutely superb that we are surrounding the man with quality, but as you can see in other far more expensively assembled teams, quality means nowt if no-one gives a sh!t. Fonte gives a sh!t, and deserves the praise you're giving him.

Not for the first time, I'm with you Jonnyboy. I'm very pleased to have Toby back in the side, but Fonte is what you'd call a long-time player. I think people have forgotten how ably he has dealt with different levels of opposition over the years, Premier League standard for the last three.

As it goes, I think the whole defensive unit makes each other look good. We're normally breaking up play so much that when Fonte does get a touch, it is usually the result of a backpass, and usually the start of another attacking move. Very compact in defence when up against it too.

Most of all though, there's a reason he has been made captain. No matter what, league one to our current lofty heights, the man has taken responsibility. There has rarely been talk of him leaving the club, and never any wantaway noise from the player himself. Absolutely superb that we are surrounding the man with quality, but as you can see in other far more expensively assembled teams, quality means nowt if no-one gives a sh!t. Fonte gives a sh!t, and deserves the praise you're giving him.

Very well said that man.

I agree that Toby is a better player but Fonte is so important to our defence - excellent organiser, composed with the ball but also willing to get stuck in and get his knees dirty if needed. It's no coincidence that Lovren and Toby have looked so good playing alongside him, he allows them to play to their full ability because they don't have to worry so much about organisation and where their teammates are - Fonte keeps the back 4 and the 2 in front drilled so that we're a solid unit. He's going to be incredibly tough to replace when he eventually leaves/retires - people talk about Morgan going but Fonte is a real leader and they don't come around too often!

As for the game today, 3-1 to Saints and Pelle back on the scoresheet.

It's been great having Burnley in the Prem. Great club with a fantastic pedigree. I like your manager and proper passionate fans. Wish you luck in the relegation fight and I think you could get three point off us today, but ultimately I think it will be 1-1.

Thank you. I hope you're right about the score.

I've always quite liked Southampton too, partly because of the Cup Final win against Man United in my youth. My brother was a United fan in those days (before he saw the light and started supporting his local team) and it made him a little bit unhappy. :cry:

And Le Tissier, of course.

Poor game, 1-0 Saints with a late winner by someone who doesn't usually score. Fonte? Long? Pelle?

So anyone but Mane then.

Good decision to withdraw Wanyama, not just because of the card situation but he's a defensive player and with Morgan in the team, at home to Burnley, we need to be more offensive. It'll be interesting to see what formation that is.

Dunno about anyone else but when I see Toby's name on the teamsheet, my confidence level shoots up.