New Morgan interview

beavis17

Not to derail the thread' date=' but I can't see us spending much in the summer at all. Toby will be a hard deal to get done (but not because of finances) and Elia looks likely at £4m but I don't think there is much money left in the pot. Even if we got £25m for Schneiderlin and £15m for Clyne, I could only see £22.5m or so of that being spent on replacements. I don't think we have much wriggle room with wages at all.[/quote'] And what about the new tv deal? Plus general transfer fees available. Plus we're going to get a fair few quid for Schneiderlin and Clyne. We'll spend plenty this summer.

I just don't want him signing for a Spurs or Liverpool. He wants CL football, fine, Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Barca, Real, PSG would all benefit from him.

That's the calibre of player he is and tbh any of those clubs would be mad not to go in for him while they have the opportunity. As soon as he makes a move elsewhere and signs a new deal he'll become a £40m+ player.

Personally would love to see him at Barca or Real, would be a bit tough seeing him in the Prem still. Not sure what Barca's situation is with regards to transfers this summer but apparently Xavi is moving to Al-Sadd in the Middle East so they'll be on the lookout for a midfielder to replace him.

Either way, there'll be a lot of speculation this summer about Morgan but he's outgrown a club of our size and genuinely deserves a move to a top team, unlike one or two that left in the summer.

And what about the new tv deal? Plus general transfer fees available. Plus we're going to get a fair few quid for Schneiderlin and Clyne. We'll spend plenty this summer.

Heading into last summer we owed £27m+ in transfer fees.

Last summer / this January we sold players for ~£94m

Last summer / this January we signed players for ~£65m

We're about evens for transfers in and out - however to be fair it is normal to have rolling transfer debt each season. Our Chairman has already acknowledged our wage bill has increased this season from last, even taking into account the departures.

I'm not saying we're broke, but I don't think there is much money to play with. I'd imagine we could sign Alderweireld if we can get that deal over the line, and maybe a few prospects. If we sold Clyne and Schneiderlin that would give us far more to play with but I just can't see much money being spent - I think our wage bill is significantly more than people estimate, and the new TV deal doesn't take effect until 2016/17. It is certainly worth dispelling the idea that we have money left over from last summer - all of that is gone.

Back in the summer I posted that I hoped the club could persuade him to give us one more year before leaving to help stabilize things.

He has done just that and deserves a move to a top, top cub ( and I don't mean Liverpool or Spurs by that comment).

This season has worked out beyond anyones wildest dreams and Morgan has been a big factor in our success. Of course he will go in the summer - and we should all be wishing him the best

Heading into last summer we owed £27m+ in transfer fees.

Last summer / this January we sold players for ~£94m

Last summer / this January we signed players for ~£65m

We're about evens for transfers in and out - however to be fair it is normal to have rolling transfer debt each season. Our Chairman has already acknowledged our wage bill has increased this season from last, even taking into account the departures.

I'm not saying we're broke, but I don't think there is much money to play with. I'd imagine we could sign Alderweireld if we can get that deal over the line, and maybe a few prospects. If we sold Clyne and Schneiderlin that would give us far more to play with but I just can't see much money being spent - I think our wage bill is significantly more than people estimate, and the new TV deal doesn't take effect until 2016/17. It is certainly worth dispelling the idea that we have money left over from last summer - all of that is gone.

But you said you can't see us spending much at all. Lets say just for example, Clyne replacement + Schneiderlin replacement + Alderweireld + Elia = That's still going to be £40m+.

But you said you can't see us spending much at all. Lets say just for example, Clyne replacement + Schneiderlin replacement + Alderweireld + Elia = That's still going to be £40m+.

Yeah fair point - if Clyne and Schneiderlin go then I can see us spending 2/3rds of that money which would amount to a lot. But if they stayed then I can't see us doing much.

It's not exactly accurate accounting anyway. £27m owed is just the breakdown of how and when the fees are paid. That was business conducted ages ago and based on standard incomes, not future sales. I seriously doubt we have a lot of the fees we've 'received' yet either. Why would a business pay before they have to. This just stems from a nothing article trying to make very standard accounts seem like a story.

It is net transfer debt though. So it is money we owe for transfers heading into last summer. It still has to be paid from somewhere. Whilst it is standard to usually owe money for transfers year to year, it still has to be paid by the club and I think the vast majority of it was owed last summer.

Is there much realistic chance of getting some income from Osvaldo and/or Ramirez sales? Not going to be big money, but maybe an additional £7m in total?

I don't think there will be much in terms of transfer fee revenue but if we can get their (alleged) £60k+ per week off the books for good it gives us more wriggle room for contracts for existing players and / or new signings.

Is there much realistic chance of getting some income from Osvaldo and/or Ramirez sales? Not going to be big money, but maybe an additional £7m in total?

you would think/hope so. Probably about right for the pair.

throw in £20m for clyne and £25m for morgan...that should be an additional £50m on top of the TV money for players......

Surely, we will be able to afford a build a strong(er) squad and throw in a good keeper with that???

I think now we all know he will go (apart from my mate Roger who thinks I am being negative - hi matey) that it would be nice for him to maybe leave it there with the comments as he has clearly said a few times (all in France) what his ambitions are, so its not like he needs to let any clubs know he is available.

I guess he is maybe a bit nervous after last summer, but he will sure get his wish this time.

Not to derail the thread' date=' but I can't see us spending much in the summer at all. Toby will be a hard deal to get done (but not because of finances) and Elia looks likely at £4m but I don't think there is much money left in the pot. Even if we got £25m for Schneiderlin and £15m for Clyne, I could only see £22.5m or so of that being spent on replacements. I don't think we have much wriggle room with wages at all.[/quote']

And what about the new tv deal? Plus general transfer fees available. Plus we're going to get a fair few quid for Schneiderlin and Clyne. We'll spend plenty this summer.

The new TV deal is for the 2016-2017 season. But there is still some money available for transfers even if we make no sales and we are not going to make no sales. It will be easier to figure out when last years financials are published which should be soon.

If Gaston consistently put in performances like he did for Hull against Chelsea the other day he'd actually be worth keeping in the squad.

By far the best signing we've made in the 21st century (Thank you Rupert). Deserves to be playing Champions League and I can understand his frustration with some of the players that are playing it!

Already resigned myself to the fact he'll be gone in the summer. Great player, great memories. Very lucky to have watched him develop into a truly superb player.

The nutmeg was unfortunate. A misplaced pass aside, he's played very well. Watching a game like this rather than Saints it's possible to concentrate on just how he plays. It's impressive how he reads the game and how he's constantly aware of the changing shape of the team around him and adjusts his position accordingly. When you hear how much RK talks about good organisation we can understand why he was desperate to keep him.

226 appearances for us and a brilliant servant to the club. Won't get as much love as the attacking players, but he is the best player the club has had in the last 10 years. As good as Bale in terms of ability? Can't begrudge him wanting to play in the CL, at Stamford Bridge I was thinking he could get in the Chelsea team. Good luck to him.

French press weren't over impressed really, I've seen comments such as "what do you expect, he only plays for Southampton,

real players play for Juventus and Real Madrid". Another gem, "if he's one of the best players in the PL it's no surprise that no PL club has made the last 8 of the CL".

Not a great evening for Morgan really, shame, it was his chance to shine. He needs to do far more going forward if he really wants to cement his place in the national side, doesn't do that for us and thus can't for them. Needs to move to a club where he has a less defensive role.

Edited by Window Cleaner

French press weren't over impressed really, I've seen comments such as "what do you expect, he only plays for Southampton,

real players play for Juventus and Real Madrid". Another gem, "if he's one of the best players in the PL it's no surprise that no PL club has made the last 8 of the CL".

Not a great evening for Morgan really, shame, it was his chance to shine. He needs to do far more going forward if he really wants to cement his place in the national side, doesn't do that for us and thus can't for them. Needs to move to a club where he has a less defensive role.

Agree with the French press, he was chasing shadows a lot of the time and looked like he didn't really know his place in the side. In Morgans mitigation it was Brazil though, not Lichtenstein!

Agree with the French press, he was chasing shadows a lot of the time and looked like he didn't really know his place in the side. In Morgans mitigation it was Brazil though, not Lichtenstein!

Watching last night it seemed that Morgan was a playing as a lone DM so was trying to cover the whole of the back four where as for us he has big Vic helping him out. I thought he did OK though his passing was very safe compared to what he does for us. As for being crap because he plays for saints Benzema playing for Real and looked complete bollix last night.

Not to derail the thread' date=' but I can't see us spending much in the summer at all. Toby will be a hard deal to get done (but not because of finances) and Elia looks likely at £4m but I don't think there is much money left in the pot. Even if we got £25m for Schneiderlin and £15m for Clyne, I could only see £22.5m or so of that being spent on replacements. I don't think we have much wriggle room with wages at all.[/quote']

We need a bit of a clear out, if we can get rid of Osvaldo, Mayuka and Ramirez permanently we'd be in a great position to strengthen the squad. Those three are probably on a combined 100k+p/w and offer nothing.

Watching last night it seemed that Morgan was a playing as a lone DM so was trying to cover the whole of the back four where as for us he has big Vic helping him out. I thought he did OK though his passing was very safe compared to what he does for us. As for being crap because he plays for saints Benzema playing for Real and looked complete bollix last night.

Benzema really was poor, we'd have lynched Pelle for missing those 2 sitters. Front 3 were all very poor really, defence was shîite as well.

Why would moving clubs make a difference? He'll be brought in as a defensive midfielder.

He has the advantage of playing alongside Wanyama for us, he won't get that luxury everywhere.

He's never been hugely creative or a big goal threat, he's at his best, "putting out fires", interceptions, reading the game and getting in key timed challenges.

He is a defensive midgfielder. he was selected to play as a defensive midfielder. He played as a defensive midfielder. Sorry to be repetitive but he does what it says on the tin. And if the original water carrier cannot recognise a good defensive midfielder then what chance an ignorant press, or were those reader's comments?

He is a defensive midgfielder. he was selected to play as a defensive midfielder. He played as a defensive midfielder. Sorry to be repetitive but he does what it says on the tin. And if the original water carrier cannot recognise a good defensive midfielder then what chance an ignorant press, or were those reader's comments?

Ignorant press, ignorant reader's bit of both really. Morgan just doesn't compare to Cabaye (yeah right) and Pogba in the

eye of your average french person. He got 4.5 in the ratings, most got 3 or 4. All agree that he needs to be less timid though and I just hope that DD gives him another chance on Sunday.

I said earlier he's better in as part of a 2 man defensive midfield otherwise he try to do too much !

True, though he takes more risks with us e.g. he's happy to spread the ball diagonally and play balls between the lines. His performances for France have a touch of JWP about them, square or backwards passes, preferring to shift responsibility than looking to dictate play.

I think that too, and I'm a) Not French and b) have never seen Pogba play. I am sucker for Hype!

Pogba, well he's just a natural footballer, doesn't seem to think, just does whatever he feels on the spurs of the moment, some of it is great, some of it not so much . Anyway Morgan shouldn't be compared to him, no doubt if Pogba had played last night the French might have been better, they've not won a match with him missing since his first selection or something

and he's a bit of a binky to the French public.

True, though he takes more risks with us e.g. he's happy to spread the ball diagonally and play balls between the lines. His performances for France have a touch of JWP about them, square or backwards passes, preferring to shift responsibility than looking to dictate play.

He did put out a few passes last night which were promising but immediately lost by Griezmann, Valbuena or one of the 2 wingbacks. They were all pretty awful, think they got about 3 out of 10 in the opinion polls.