New Morgan interview

beavis17

http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2015/morgan-schneiderlin-i-think-i-have-put-on-another-kilo-in-muscles/

Speaking to L’Équipe published the morning of France’s friendly encounter with Brazil, Southampton central midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin discussed Les Bleus and his future.

On taking on another dimension…

“In terms of confidence in my own game, that is true, I feel that I am better in the Premier League. For France, I want to show more than I have up until now. I know that I am capable, but the World Cup has liberated me.”

On what he can bring to the national team…

“I am not the type of player who will make 15 nutmegs, 50 flicks and light up the evening. I am more there guy who wins the ball back, looking for one-twos, working on possession. Maybe I need to let myself go a little more, but my aim is to remain tidy with my football.”

On playing as a defensive midfielder…

“It is a role that I like a lot, even if Southampton often play with two, in a 4-4-2. But I like to get as many touches of the ball as possible, to run the game. My role does give other players greater liberty going forward and protects the defence, to compensate for the bombing forward of the full-backs. For me, in this 4-3-3 system, Sergio Busquets is the model, not very attacking, but in charge of balancing the team.”

On whether he is treated with more respect in the Premier League since becoming a French international…

“Yes, there is another attitude displayed towards me, but I think that is more to do with how I have been playing in the league. Sometimes, opposing teams have an individual player making me and that is a sign of respect. They did it less before.”

On moving on…

“It is not I who establishes my price. But that’s just the reality of the situation. In August, I wanted to move on but the club let too many players go for them to accept for me to leave. Since then, I have had discussions with the representatives and I want to play at a higher level: it is important, at the age of 25, to finally experience the Champions League. After that, at the end of the season, Southampton might qualify for the Champions League and I could also stay, who knows… But well, I don’t want to be sitting in front of my TV anymore on Tuesday and Wednesday nights…”

On his failed attempts to leave last summer…

“I immediately moved on to the next thing. I told myself: they made a business decision, that’s normal, it is football… Out of respect for the club, who made me into the player that I have become, I immediately came back and gave my all. Despite everything, I got injured in December because I was not able to have the same pre-season preparations as the rest of the squad.”

On his gym work…

“It is true that I have gained some (muscle). During my time out injured, I worked hard, notably on my upper body. I have probably gained about 1kg of muscles. And I feel it, in my game, it helps me. It is important, in the Premier League, to be able to resist opponents. After that, you have to get the balance right because you cannot be too heavy in my position or you lose mobility.”

On his red card vs Chelsea…

“I got annoyed with Cesc Fabregas because he wouldn’t stop talking, he kept doing these little things. He made me lose my head and, during one play, I forgot that I was already on a warning, I saw him go down the line and I thought that this was the moment to unleash a little challenge on him. Something that I realise I did stupidly…”

I've always taken him being here this season as massive bonus. He's been brilliant (again) for us.

Great player, and I don't begrudge him his move. I just hope the buying club doesn't put in insultingly low offers in an attempt to turn the situation nasty.

To be honest, we were lucky to have him for another season. He's such a wonderful player, he always has been for us - a little bit lightweight for the first few years, but clearly full of ability.

He deserves his dream of playing at the top level, competing for the biggest honours. Obviously if we finish in the Top 4, it may make him have a little think, but my opinion is that his mind is pretty much made up. And if we don't get the top 4, there's not even anything to conciser for him.

He's been a terrific servant and I'm just going to enjoy watching him for the next 8 games. Class act.

I still expect them to spend 35m+ on a small attacking player that they don't really need :)

Still don't expect Morgan to go to Arsenal myself, if they were going to splash the cash on him they'd have done it long ago, expect them to go for the cheap option of Khedira myself. That leaves Chelsea,Utd and City.....and with Touré possibly on his way out.........join up the dots yourselves.

He's been a class player for us, still not a fan of his behaviour and attitude in the summer though, not hugely different to those who left us and got stick for it.

Interesting that he picks out Champions League football as the key driver behind any move, but I guess its easier to forecast then winning cups or leagues.

A bidding war between the likes of Arsenal and Man Utd must help drive his price up, will be interesting to see where he ends up.

Clearly won't be going to Spuds, given that he says that he doesn't want to be sitting at home watching TV on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. He didn't mention Thursdays, so seems clear he will go to PL/CL club. Will be sad to see him go, but he is so clearly a player that gives his all to the club he is contracted to that you have to respect it and wish him well. Shame that we didn't put in place a good enough squad that could have sustained our CL push, because it is clear we were not that far away.

As long as he doesn't go to Spurs, I can't help but wish him every bit of luck. We've been incredibly lucky to have him as long as we have. Watched a player grow from a boy into a real top, top player.

He threw his toys out the pram a bit but then showed great attitude in sticking it out. He's only right to have ambition and want to achieve it. He's served us well.

As long as we get over £25mill I'll be happy enough, I prefer Vic these days anyway. Sell him, Rodriguez and Ossie for £50mill, spend the money on Dybala, Austin and Clasie, that'd do me nicely.

Do we know if Boca Juniors have any money? The crazy bastard seems to be doing ok for them - would be great to sell this summer and get the wages off the books as well.

I would be gutted to see him go. He has been my favourite player, ever since his first pinged 40 yard pass to feet on debut.

On the other hand, the lad can play for one of the very top clubs and will add to them. I have heard that Bayern have taken an interest in his performances.

Pep knows a midielf player when he see one, and given that Morgan picks out Busquets as the player to model his game on then Pep will definitely appreciate Morgan.

I ask only that we get the right fee for him and he recognises that the club also have to look out for their own interests, and won't simply sell because of an understanding that he can more in the summer.

As long as we get over £25mill I'll be happy enough, I prefer Vic these days anyway. Sell him, Rodriguez and Ossie for £50mill, spend the money on Dybala, Austin and Clasie, that'd do me nicely.

And no doubt you'll declare those 3 signings to be sh*t by the end of September.

Personally think he should keep his mouth shut about potential moves.

He is bound to throw his toys out of his pram when we reject the below valuation offer from Arsenal.

Agreed. And what's to say we don't get a reapeat of last pre-season if the move doesn't go exactly how he wants.

Think the general consensus is that he leaves with the well wishes of the fans if it's Chelsea, city, arsenal or united. But if after spouting all that crap about champions league, and he chooses to link up with poch at spurs or the defector trio at Liverpool, it won't be the happiest of departures.

Think the general consensus is that he leaves with the well wishes of the fans if it's Chelsea, city, arsenal or united. But if after spouting all that crap about champions league, and he chooses to link up with poch at spurs or the defector trio at Liverpool, it won't be the happiest of departures.

I think we must assume that he's already got at least 1 move to a club who are certain to qualify for the CL lined up in principal, all the rest remains to be seen. His agent is very close to Garcia at AS Rome, wouldn't be his first choice move perhaps but it's probably all agreed bar signing on the dotted line and coughing up the swans. Don't say he'll go there of course but has already his worse case scenario option lined up.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I think we must assume that he's already got at least 1 move to a club who are certain to qualify for the CL lined up in principal, all the rest remains to be seen. His agent is very close to Garcia at AS Rome, wouldn't be his first choice move perhaps but it's probably all agreed bar signing on the dotted line and coughing up the swans. Don't say he'll go there of course but has already his worse case scenario option lined up.
Are Roma in a position to be paying the sort of transfer fee required?

Are Roma in a position to be paying the sort of transfer fee required?

No idea, but I suspect that it won't be anwhere near as high as many think. They certainly have a few players who'd bring them in the 20 million £ that they'll need, starting with Strootman who's a big LvG target I believe.

No idea, but I suspect that it won't be anwhere near as high as many think. They certainly have a few players who'd bring them in the 20 million £ that they'll need, starting with Strootman who's a big LvG target I believe.

Strootman out for £40m+ , and Morgan in for £25-30m? Seems like a decent like for like.

Strootman out for £40m+ , and Morgan in for £25-30m? Seems like a decent like for like.

Although having specifically mentioned him I seem to remember something about Strootman having a pretty serious knee injury, don't know if he's playing at all just now. Still it'd be a new challenge for that injury management wallah that Utd fiched from us.

To be honest, we were lucky to have him for another season. He's such a wonderful player, he always has been for us - a little bit lightweight for the first few years, but clearly full of ability.

He deserves his dream of playing at the top level, competing for the biggest honours. Obviously if we finish in the Top 4, it may make him have a little think, but my opinion is that his mind is pretty much made up. And if we don't get the top 4, there's not even anything to conciser for him.

He's been a terrific servant and I'm just going to enjoy watching him for the next 8 games. Class act.

He's gone old chap the bit about Saints and top four was just bit of political face saving as he wants to leave with a good feeling amongst hi fans. He knows as you know that even top six is BIG ask now and top four is impossible to the level of confidence that one could bet one's house on it. My only worry is what to do with my Schneiderlin shirt? Should have gone to specsavers?

I suppose Europa League won't be enough for him. Fair enough I guess, he is a professional and we shouldn't expect him to have any particular emotional attachment to the club. Have enjoyed watching him over the years though as he is a top player. Hopefully we can squeeze 20-odd million out of him and send him on his way to Arsenal or similar.

He's off. Hopefully we get it over and done with at the start of the window, get a decent price and then move on. Just a shame he couldn't keep his mouth shut until the end of the season.

It's nothing we haven't known all season anyway. He's leaving in the summer, but if we get Champions League he might reconsider.

Personally think he should keep his mouth shut about potential moves.

He is bound to throw his toys out of his pram when we reject the below valuation offer from Arsenal.

Agree. And.....

Too many on here who think we should be grateful he is with us this season and that for some reason we owe him. These same people trot this out the whole time yet seem to forget that its not a one way street.

£30m+ or it's not worth it. Clyne will go for £10-15m due to his contract being up, hopefully no-one else. We didn't spend all our incoming fees last year, TV money is insane, you'd hope with these sales we'd have another £60-70m to spend. Needing a CB, RB, CM, striker and maybe now a keeper. I'd sign Elia and Toby if we can but might be difficult with Toby.

Not to derail the thread, but I can't see us spending much in the summer at all. Toby will be a hard deal to get done (but not because of finances) and Elia looks likely at £4m but I don't think there is much money left in the pot. Even if we got £25m for Schneiderlin and £15m for Clyne, I could only see £22.5m or so of that being spent on replacements. I don't think we have much wriggle room with wages at all.