Giannelli Imbula

Polaroid Saint

Have to say the L'equipe and Calciomercato articles I have just read don't mention us at all, smokescreen ?

http://www.calciomercato.com/news/il-marsiglia-avvisa-l-inter-cinque-offerte-per-imbula-decisiva-l-222859

IMHO all these players linked to us are red herrings. It will probably be someone that was linked to us back on page 28. Clubs will think we are looking elsewhere before accepting our tables bid.

Probably Duda.

That's a shame. It seems Porto are paying the full whack. Why were us and other teams faffing around with this loan deal and supposed 'mandatory' fee when Marseille clearly wanted the money asap?

I may be wrong, but I think the only way Porto are able to pay ''up front'' is via some sort of third party ownership scheme? So in theory, whilst he outright leaves Marseille, he's still not owned in full by Porto. That's what I've kind of gleaned/read from some articles anyway.

I may be wrong, but I think the only way Porto are able to pay ''up front'' is via some sort of third party ownership scheme? So in theory, whilst he outright leaves Marseille, he's still not owned in full by Porto. That's what I've kind of gleaned/read from some articles anyway.

From our friends, Doyen, who made it rather difficult with Marcos Rojo last year...

I'd not heard about that - I just figured they were flush with cash after they sell Jackson Martinez.

From our friends, Doyen, who made it rather difficult with Marcos Rojo last year...

I'm surprised an agent would be happy for his player to become embroiled in this sort of mess, knowing the complications that may arise from future transfers as these deals are never straightforward.

I'm surprised an agent would be happy for his player to become embroiled in this sort of mess, knowing the complications that may arise from future transfers as these deals are never straightforward.

More money, less waiting, what's not to like ? The player's father gets involved as well I think. As I said the other day, if it's got anything to do with the OM best leave it be.

Doyen do this, because players who go to Porto generally make a hell of a profit. They made loads off a similar deal with Mangala, for example.

FC Porto President pretends not to know who Giannelli Imbula is:

Speaking to the media today, FC Porto President Pinto da Costa pretended not to know who imminent signing Giannelli Imbula was.

He had the following to say: “Who is he? I don’t know who he is and I have never spoken to him. I have nothing to do with this player.”

Source: http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2015/fc-porto-president-pretends-not-to-know-who-giannelli-imbula-is/

^ LOL

FC Porto President pretends not to know who Giannelli Imbula is:

Speaking to the media today, FC Porto President Pinto da Costa pretended not to know who imminent signing Giannelli Imbula was.

He had the following to say: “Who is he? I don’t know who he is and I have never spoken to him. I have nothing to do with this player.”

Source: http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2015/fc-porto-president-pretends-not-to-know-who-giannelli-imbula-is/

^ LOL

He was clearly having a laugh....

FourFourTweet ‏@FourFourTweet

OFFICIAL: Porto have announced the signing of Gianelli Imbula.

CI0jnTwWcAAyuwL.png

• 2 months later...
Tottenham and Southampton are on alert after it emerged that Giannelli Imbula could be heading for an early Porto exit.

The Portuguese club held off competition from both Premier League sides as well as AC Milan to land Imbula for around £17.5m during the summer, ending one of the longest sagas of the window.

But, according to reports in France, Imbula is finding it hard to adapt to life at Porto.

He has struggled to impress in his first five league appearances and has been hauled off three times.

Now it has been suggested that he is already planning to quit Porto.

AC Milan, desperate to land him last month, could be back in for him, while Saints and Spurs to try their luck at signing him again, too – and they could move as early as January.

http://talksport.com/football/transfer-report-tottenham-and-southampton-could-rekindle-interest-ps175m-porto-star?

• 1 month later...
Koeman's scout in Portugal on midfielder watch

Southampton took another look at Porto midfielder Gianni Imbula On Tuesday as Ronald Koeman prepares for life after Victor Wanyama. Saints have been scouting midfield options in the belief that Wanyama will continue to stall on their offer of a new contract, which will force them to sell him next summer when the Kenyan has one year left on his existing deal. After watching Nice midfielder Jean Seri again last week, Koeman's spy was in Portugal on Tuesday to see Imbula in Porto's 2-0 home defeat to Dynamo Kiev. The 23-year-old swapped Marseille for Porto last summer in a £16million transfer, signing until 2020, but reports have claimed the Frenchman cannot settle in Portugal and would be open to another move next summer.

https://www.clubcall.com/southampton/koemans-scout-in-portugal-on-midfielder-watch-1790012.html?

• 1 month later...
Also suspicious of success in that league. Clearly some good players but standard overall seems poor. Was Mangala at Porto? Didn't they say that transfer was actually over 40m?

Porto seem very good at getting good fees in.

It's not even Porto really, a lot of these players are 3rd party owned in a set up that acts as part owner/agent and media rights dealer. Can't remember the name, perhaps it's Doyen or something like that. Porto set a sort of minimum value and the part owner asks for a lot more.

Edited by Window Cleaner

• 2 weeks later...

The telling statement, which seemingly gels with what Windows says above:

Mark Hughes has abandoned his bid to sign Imbula after growing increasingly frustrated at the demands of both Porto and the player’s representatives

IMHO all these players linked to us are red herrings.

It will probably be someone that was linked to us back on page 28. Clubs will think we are looking elsewhere before accepting our tables bid. Probably Duda.

..not to mention that the bookies :smug:are quick to quote odds on player who was never in the running anyway :scared:..no-one seems to think that's criminal

Would you bet on a horse ...who wasn't entered for the Grand National in the first place?

..not to mention that the bookies :smug:are quick to quote odds on player who was never in the running anyway :scared:..no-one seems to think that's criminal

Would you bet on a horse ...who wasn't entered for the Grand National in the first place?

Precisely. How many separate stories have been published about Mane, Wanyama, Townsend etc linking them to different clubs? There's a whiff of something not quite right about the relationship between bookies and the sports they benefit from (tennis also). They should not be sponsoring clubs, and Saints should not be having an "official betting partner" or whatever it is termed.

@MirrorAnderson: Stoke have completed their club record deal for Giannelli Imbula From Porto. The fee is £18.3m and he has signed a five-and-a-half-year deal

Koeman confirmed we were in for him last summer. I wonder if he would have been on our list to replace Wanyama?

Will be interesting to see how he does.

Edited by Saint Charlie

@MirrorAnderson: Stoke have completed their club record deal for Giannelli Imbula From Porto. The fee is £18.3m and he has signed a five-and-a-half-year deal

Koeman confirmed we were in for him last summer. I wonder if he would have been on our list to replace Wanyama?

Will be interesting to see how he does.

SSN not gone with it yet.