Pochettino interview: Spurs are a bigger club than Saints, etc.

Singapore Saint

Poch seems to be bigging himself up like Harry Redknapp in this radio interview: http://tottenhamhotspur.blogspot.sg/2015/07/pochettino-radio-interview-part-3.html

Claims he changed everything at Saints in a year and a half from conceding the most goals in the Premier League to a defensively tight team.

Also claims he was starting from scratch when he joined Spurs.

What an ego the man has.

I personally don't give a toss what he thinks or says about us tbh. He was a very good manager for us and i'll always remember what he did Whilst here but he chose to jump to a bigger club. He'll reap what he sows in the end because at the end of the day, Levy expects a top 4 challenge but imo, Spurs are still far behind last seasons top four so he, like many before him will be deemed as a failure in the end.

I personally don't give a toss what he thinks or says about us tbh. He was a very good manager for us and i'll always remember what he did Whilst here but he chose to jump to a bigger club. He'll reap what he sows in the end because at the end of the day, Levy expects a top 4 challenge but imo, Spurs are still far behind last seasons top four so he, like many before him will be deemed as a failure in the end.

Agree with this. Also I think Liverpool will be stronger and will take 5th pushing Spurs down to 6th, in other words going backwards.

If Pouch doesn't have them seriously challenging for a Champs league spot Pouch could be gone.

Good players are developed here and bought by bigger clubs. We then replace them with players as good or better than them. The same things apply to managers. They think that they are moving upwards, but then we replace them with an even better manager.

Pochettino made a big mistake believing that going to Spurs was a good career move, because their expectations are beyond his capabilities and when he does not achieve what they require, he will gone by the end of the season. Had he achieved here what Koeman did last year, his stock would have been higher than it is after the season he had at Spurs and he would be in the frame for higher things should a vacancy arise in Europe. As it is, if he gets the boot at Spurs, he will be an also ran, yesterday's man.

As for us, I am delighted that we have managed to attract a manager like Koeman, who is a marked improvement on Poch and also appears to be a more honourable and principled man too.

An ever more irrelevant footnote in our history' date=' already not as important as Adkins or Koeman. Soon to be on a par with [b']Merrington/b] and Burley.

I'm guessing you meant Branfoot there...Dave Merrington was a fantastic man for this club, everything was against him for the short spell as manager but his contribution to bringing through talent was legendary.

LOL.

I love the bit about "It’s always easier to join a club where the dynamic and winning mentality is already in place than the one we inherited when we went there, with all the problems." Did Koeman inherit any problems? He certainly inherited a team that was devoid of half it's dynamic and winning mentality, if not all of it. Presumably MP, with his self-aggrandisement, considered himself the catalyst for the mentality, so for a start, we were devoid of that even before considering the players that ****ed off at the first sniff of more money.

And I do love the bit about us spending €80-90m. It obviously rankles with him. What did he expect us to do, not spend anything and go into the season with half a team?

As it is....

Southampton 14/15 - spent £61.63m (which includes the Jan purchase of Bertrand) - sold £86.68m (including Cork)

Spurs 14/15 - spent £33.93m - sold £34.48m

Net spend for both is good, but not in the same ball park and the situation of us losing half the team and manager is completely different to any team ever in the PL (although I am sure someone will point out that it isn't). It's not our fault that Spuds spunked away £100m and he is picking up the pieces - it will be interesting to see if he can replace all those that he is getting rid off. He should have known what he was walking into and not complain about it. There are interviews with RK about the situation here, and he is much more pragmatic. He said that he knew players were going and not once have I heard him make excuses.

Just IMO, it shows a distinct lack of class what he says about us and his time here while trying to justify his current situation at Spurs. But then, I really couldn't give a flying what he says and does as he is the manager of another club who I have absolutely no interest in. And it is just his opinion and as the saying goes "opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance."

LOL.

I love the bit about "It’s always easier to join a club where the dynamic and winning mentality is already in place than the one we inherited when we went there, with all the problems." Did Koeman inherit any problems? He certainly inherited a team that was devoid of half it's dynamic and winning mentality, if not all of it. Presumably MP, with his self-aggrandisement, considered himself the catalyst for the mentality, so for a start, we were devoid of that even before considering the players that ****ed off at the first sniff of more money.

And I do love the bit about us spending €80-90m. It obviously rankles with him. What did he expect us to do, not spend anything and go into the season with half a team?

As it is....

Southampton 14/15 - spent £61.63m (which includes the Jan purchase of Bertrand) - sold £86.68m (including Cork)

Net spend for both is good, but not in the same ball park and the situation of us losing half the team and manager is completely different to any team ever in the PL (although I am sure someone will point out that it isn't). It's not our fault that Spuds spunked away £100m and he is picking up the pieces - it will be interesting to see if he can replace all those that he is getting rid off. He should have known what he was walking into and not complain about it. There are interviews with RK about the situation here, and he is much more pragmatic. He said that he knew players were going and not once have I heard him make excuses.

Just IMO, it shows a distinct lack of class what he says about us and his time here while trying to justify his current situation at Spurs. But then, I really couldn't give a flying what he says and does as he is the manager of another club who I have absolutely no interest in. And it is just his opinion and as the saying goes "opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance."

judging by your post, I kind of get the impression you do

Let's get over it. He was an essential part in what we've achieved here. As important as Pardew and Adkins. Shame he left, but we've got Koeman so no need to look back. Onwards and upwards.

As important as the manager that gave us 2 promotions or the one that won a trophy? Poch achieved nothing really, was a capable manager but hardly in the same vein as Adkins in terms of importance to the club.

Absolute nonsense. Taking a club from relegation candidates to an 8th place finish is an achievement. Like it or not he took us up a level, there might not have been a 'promotion' but he raised the bar and did a great job here.

An achievement that put him on par with the Pulis' and Allardyces' of the world.

Absolute nonsense. Taking a club from relegation candidates to an 8th place finish is an achievement. Like it or not he took us up a level, there might not have been a 'promotion' but he raised the bar and did a great job here.

Correct.

I see just like Adkins, who quickly went from the new Alex Ferguson, the next great English manager to a nice guy out if his depth in the premier league Pochetino is now only an okay manager who didn't really achieve anything. I didn't particularly like Pochettino but only a moron would say he didn't improve us.

I'm guessing you meant Branfoot there...Dave Merrington was a fantastic man for this club, everything was against him for the short spell as manager but his contribution to bringing through talent was legendary.

Nah, Pochettino will never be held in the same regard as Branfoot, I meant Merrington specifically as a manager, did OK, nothing special kept us up...just.

Does seem to be a bit up himself. Did a good job for us while he was here and continued the upward trend we were (already) on but it was hardly all up to just him. Only being here for a season and a half means his accomplishments can't really compare with some of our other recent managers and Koeman has already out done him in even more difficult circumstances. I'd also point out that the end period of his time with his previous club Espanyol wasn't exactly great either.

If I were him i'd be more worried about his current team. You know Levy wants top 4 but he just doesn't have the squad for it. In fact, although they've strengthened defensively with Toby, Trippier etc...they seem to be shipping a lot out elsewhere - Paulinho, Holtby, Capoue, Kaboul, Stambouli & Friedel have all left already with the likes of Lamela, Soldado, Adebayor and Townsend all rumoured to be possibly on the move. Spurs exodus anyone? At the very least their squad depth is taking a hit. Add in the current injury to Lloris and the fact that Kane is pretty much carrying the attack by himself and i'd say they need to get a lot of players in before the deadline if they want to finish in a good position this year - could be the one we aim to overtake for top 6.

He's correct. He was an excellent manager when he was here and all the fans loved him. He left for Spurs... Which is a bigger club than us.

I definitely don't think "all the fans loved him". Everyone I know rated him as a manager, but never took to the bloke.

I definitely don't think "all the fans loved him". Everyone I know rated him as a manager, but never took to the bloke.

I think that's exactly it - he was rated by everyone, but there aren't many people who thought he was a top bloke, he always came across as a big aloof and arrogant, but he did do a good job and we were p*ssed off with him leaving for exactly the reason that he'd done a good job.

He's correct. He was an excellent manager when he was here and all the fans loved him. He left for Spurs... Which is a bigger club than us.

I loved the way we knocked the ball around, but I never loved him. It always bugged me that he didn't bother speaking English in his interviews. Suspicions of him being an arrogant knob were proved to be correct I think.

And despite passing it around, and around, and around really nicely, we always wanted to walk it into the net. Clear cut chances that weren't on the break were few and far between.

In summary, thanks but no thanks.

Poch did a good job for us whilst he was here but stayed one season.

I just wonder why he still seems to have a hard on for Saints? Does he regret leaving seeing what Koeman has achieved and what he had to spend, given his lack of achievement at Spurs.

An achievement that put him on par with the Pulis' and Allardyces' of the world.

and it puts him above ALL the other managers of all the other clubs who have tried and failed to improve clubs near the bottom of the Premier League. So many have tried, so many have fallen far short of what Pochettino did with us.

I love that you are trying to use Pulis as an example, he did a quality job at Stoke. Are you trying to suggest otherwise?

and it puts him above ALL the other managers of all the other clubs who have tried and failed to improve clubs near the bottom of the Premier League. So many have tried, so many have fallen far short of what Pochettino did with us.

I love that you are trying to use Pulis as an example, he did a quality job at Stoke. Are you trying to suggest otherwise?

No, I have not once said he is a bad manager if you read my posts I even said he did well. I've said he is not on the same level as Adkins or Pardew in terms of achievements there is a big difference.

LOL.

As it is....

Pretty good post angleman. Poch did a good job for us in some ways, but is also very responsible for filling the first team's head with waffle and them subsequently leaving. Mind you... look where we are now as a result of that.

You make a great point about the net spend. 2 summers of net transfer income (circa £20m) and the 2 years of record tv deals. Can only assume that KL is paying back her loan deals at present as it is not all being invested. Be interesting to see what happens once the club is debt free.

He had one task at Spurs last season, to improve on Redknapp and Sherwood by going top four.

He failed, so they continue to live in the shadows of their neighbour.

Hopefully he repeats that stunt, but frankly I'm more interested in what we are up to.

Pretty good post angleman. Poch did a good job for us in some ways, but is also very responsible for filling the first team's head with waffle and them subsequently leaving. Mind you... look where we are now as a result of that.

You make a great point about the net spend. 2 summers of net transfer income (circa £20m) and the 2 years of record tv deals. Can only assume that KL is paying back her loan deals at present as it is not all being invested. Be interesting to see what happens once the club is debt free.

Think the last payment on the loan was due last year if I remember the financials right but that is subject to correction.

He sounds like a man fearing for his job to me. He's trying to get the Spurs fans on his side and reminding the media of his achievements to buy himself extra time. If he doesn't win a cup or get very close to the top 4 he'll be gone at the end of the season.

In other news, Nigel Adkins stays classy:

Nigel Adkins ‏@TheNigelAdkins 44m44 minutes ago

A dream becomes reality tonight, good luck @SouthamptonFC in European football @MijnVitesse watching from another great club @SUFC_tweets

And there in a nutshell is the difference, and why one will have my eternal respect and gratitude and the other wont

No, I have not once said he is a bad manager if you read my posts I even said he did well. I've said he is not on the same level as Adkins or Pardew in terms of achievements there is a big difference.

The statement I was arguing with was "poch achieved nothing really". You definitely said that and it's definitely nonsense.