The Post European Moan Thread

Suhari

On tonight's showing, it looks like a good thing we are out of it. Recent history shows how badly teams tend to do in the league when they have a prolonged run in the Europa Cup. If we play like that for the rest of the season we are in trouble.

The frustrating thing is - the last 5-6 years have all been leading to this moment, to us qualifying for Europe, and when we got there we went out with a whimper.

I love the way that Scouse ***** McManaman says Saints are a shadow of last seasons team. No **** Sherlock! We've got 7 of last years starting 11 either injured or poached by the big time Charlie's. Dickhead! On the flip side at least we're out of Europe and can concentrate on staying up.

Love Ronald and he deserved all the praise he got last season but blame Tonight mainly on him. Shocking formation, team selection and tactics, just abject. Why so bad?

I'm not much of a conspiracy fan but tonight did feel rotten... Europa league run was what everyone wanted.

Least we won't inflict our hoofball on BT Sports viewers anymore.. Awful all round, Koeman needs to sort this lot out, the defence isn't the problem it is the damn passing/creativeness/hoofball no wonder Pelle looks so miserable it seems we've forgotten how to enjoy playing football.

It's a much deeper problem all we are is functional and average is all departments, we'll never get rolled over but we don't look like ever taking the game to anyone. The incisiveness has gone and frankly I'd rather go out looking to score than to eek out lucky draws. Koeman is having his first crisis and needs to raise the levels all round.

This performance was what was deserved after he put out a defensive line up. Sadly the problems will take alot of time to solve, we have players wanting to leave and morale has sunk, we all know Wanyama/Mane are going to go and we'll be in for a tough season, it's whether the 'kids' and the likes of Targett/JWP and even Reed etc will step up to the plate when the going gets tough.

Think it'll be us finishing 14th this season.

I feel cheated.

All that effort last season for nothing,what's the point.

Something is not right behinds the scenes.

Go for it,get into Europe and try to win....not balls it up with **** poor team selection and performances.

We didn't even want to progress it seems.

Now wait for the exodus of players......and more average signings.

All on the cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not worried about the season, we'll get the first team back probably be 8th again and make some money. But I struggle to care. Yeah it's unlucky to have injuries all over but koemans tactics were appaling. How can you play a back 5 in a game you have to score in? Why play long to pelle against a poor simplistic physical side? We played into their hands in both games.

Why wait to change things? Felt sorry for juanmi not getting on til it was too late. And Cedric? Injured too? Why is that joke of a signing Martina anywhere near the pitch? How has Davis got away with poor form for 8 months?

So gutted they've ****ed up our European season. No doubt some dicks will be delighted so we can focus on the league and not quite qualifying for Europe again.

A few squad players not good enough for sure, but ultimately no belief, no form or confidence and sad to say, abysmal management this season.

Think I'll be even more annoyed if we go and hammer Norwich now which I'm sure we will. Utterly wasted a brilliant season.

I would love to know what your on. BTW, I shouldn't think you will be annoyed come Sunday evening...just worried.

Looks like a tough season ahead. Nothing coming from full back at all so far, such a key to our game last season and its gone.

The balance wasn't there, we seriously miss Clyne there - or Cedric up to speed. Targett is a bit of a mess tbh, he offers nothing and I have more ability in my left finger than he has in his left foot. I think once we get Bertrand back in there and Soares up to speed, we'll look a hell of a lot better.

The last four games are the worst performances I can remember from us in years. I don't think it's a lack of fight at all; I just think we are woefully short of quality. We have been desperately let down in the transfer market and tactically by Koeman over the two legs. Martina, Targett, Yoshida and Ward-Prowse are not Premier League players. Fonte, Davis, Tadic and Rodriguez are totally off form. Why pick 8 defensive outfield players for a match in which we must score. Abysmal.

Embarrasing defeat and a true show of the kind of mediocre thinking (and quality) that has taken over our squad.

I hope some people open their eyes about Koeman. This is why he is not the Dutch national coach. He is too arrogant and narrow-minded to change his ideas about the way his teams play, and after his initial idea started failing (which wasn't his anyway) we have been dire. This last change to a 5-3-2 formation is just pathetic. What a lack of personality.

There's still time of course, and I don't mean it's all going to go tragically from here, but don't think that a team that can't put on a decent show on against a Danish team (champions or not, they're far from PL level) will respond any differently against at least 75% of our domestic rivals.

The buck has to stop with RK; wrong line-up at the start, persisting with the long ball after half time when it was clearly never going to work, too late in bringing on Juanmi. Where is our attacking width ? Where is the one-touch pass and move play in the attacking half ? Mitjyland are not a good side, but they showed too much European nous in this tie, and we were far too predictable.

Utterly pathetic attitude. What's the point exactly if we don't care about Europe? Finish 8th every year and celebrate the profit?

Eh? I do care about Europe and I would have loved to have seen us progress and play some of the big teams that are in the draw. But the way we played tonight was just embarrassing, and I don't want to see us go the way of all the other teams whose league form has suffered massively from being in a competition that we would have been shown up in.

Think a few will be happy.

Personally, I was really looking forward to the Europa League, a lot more than the PL. I honestly never thought we would crash out at this stage.

I feel sick, tonight was an absolute embarassment. There was nothing tonight, absolutely nothing. We are a shadow of the team from last season, which is quite incredible. Koeman seems to have lost the plot and we have lost our spark.

I don't think the transfer window will save us now. I'd be surprised if we sign a striker which we desparately need.

**** knows where we found Martina from, he's clearly not a footballer. As for Ward-Prowse, I will reiterate again he is Championship standard at best, I don't give a **** how many appearances he has made or how many goals he has for England under-21s.

It pains me to say it but now really is the time for a meltdown, and it could be a whole lot worse this time next season.

One thing was confirmed tonight, we are not a 'showcase' club as Les Reed claims. Tonight we were showcasing complete ****e.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Eh? I do care about Europe and I would have loved to have seen us progress and play some of the big teams that are in the draw. But the way we played tonight was just embarrassing, and I don't want to see us go the way of all the other teams whose league form has suffered massively from being in a competition that we would have been shown up in.

It's going to suffer anyway - look at the state of the team right now. The regression is akin to Ipswich the season after they finished 5th.

Tonight was utterly dire. :(

But on the bright side, the following 6 players didn't start tonight...

Ryan Bertrand

Victor Wanyama

Jordy Clasie

Cedric Soares

Sadio Mane

Dusan Tadic

Can all be added to the starting XI to make it stronger.

Plus Virgil van Dijk possibly soon to sign.

Yes, the absences have come at the wrong time for us. But the guys we had out there should have been enough to see off FCM. I don't think we'll see the true team until after the internationals. Not sure what to expect on Sunday.

Ryan Bertrand

Victor Wanyama

Jordy Clasie

Cedric Soares

Sadio Mane

Dusan Tadic

None of that means we play in the Europa League though. No fan cares about players to come back, it doesn't mean anything. It doesn't change the shower of **** that was served up by two legs by those who played. It's quite frankly remarkable that Saints even had an opportunity to play in Europe this season after what happened last summer and we've somehow conspired to mess it up.

Ryan Bertrand

Victor Wanyama

Jordy Clasie

Cedric Soares

Sadio Mane

Dusan Tadic

We've been dire with most of them in the team regardless.

The last four games are the worst performances I can remember from us in years. I don't think it's a lack of fight at all; I just think we are woefully short of quality. We have been desperately let down in the transfer market and tactically by Koeman over the two legs. Martina, Targett, Yoshida and Ward-Prowse are not Premier League players. Fonte, Davis, Tadic and Rodriguez are totally off form. Why pick 8 defensive outfield players for a match in which we must score. Abysmal.

You are right too many average players . Davis hasn't been playing well since last Christmas. Yoshida isn't good enough, Targett is too inexperienced to be expected to play every match. Rodriguez has some way to go and Tadic seems to have fallen away.

Doesn't help if you sell half the team each year. By the way Pelle and Long are just average not good enough to rely on . It's not their fault they are at best 10- 15 goals a season and that's not enough

Phish really

Absolute tripe.

Stek - Nothing much he could do about the goal

Caulker - Hoooooof! Every. Single. Time

Fonte - It was bad enough when we thought we had 2 **** CBs. Doing his best this season to suggest that number has risen to 3. The ease with which their striker lost him for the goal was pathetic.

Yoshida - Just not a very good player I'm afraid.

Martina - About as much attacking threat as Yoshida last week.

Romeu - Neat and Tidy, but that doesn't help when your in midfield with mediocre at best players.

Davis - He was better than JWP, but he was still average.

JWP - Offers nothing unless it is a set piece and even then it's not as effective as some would have you believe.

Targett - Poor going forwards and backwards for that matter.

Rodriguez - So rusty, offered nothing worthwhile. set the wheels in motion for their winner with a joke attempt at a clearance.

Pelle - Poor sod, they kicked high, floaty long balls at him all night, what is he supposed to do.

Subs:

Tadic - Did better than the rest, but should have started or at least played the entire second half

Long - came on too late

Juanmi - Not given enough time

Koeman - ****ed up selection and tactics big time. Wrong formation, line-up and strategy.

MotM - The fans who traveled over there to see such a gutless performance.

1 CB and 1 creative CM badly needed before Tuesday.

Ryan Bertrand

Victor Wanyama

Jordy Clasie

Cedric Soares

Sadio Mane

Dusan Tadic

You forgot Forsterite, not that it matters.

Ryan Bertrand

Victor Wanyama

Jordy Clasie

Cedric Soares

Sadio Mane

Dusan Tadic

Why didn't Soares start tonight? From what I've seen of him and Martina, Soares would be much better suited to playing the wing back role.

That was an atrocious performance. Key things from my viewpoint:

1) Two full backs who can't go past people limits our gameplan. Targett seems to try and get past opponents by kicking the ball into them and hoping for a nutmeg or richochet...

2) Possession football under Pochettino did get a bit boring, so when Koeman injected a bit more directness to our play it was exciting and meant we had a variety of attacking options. It's now looking like we've taken it a step further and abandoned passing altogether.

3) I am worried that our pre-season did not focus enough on fitness. The players looked unfit against Vitesse and I thought it was due to it still being pre-season. Since then we have deteriorated. Even the commentators referred to us as looking jaded. Strachan and Pochettino both gave the side a gruelling preseason and it paid dividends.

4) We actually a couple of moments in the last five minutes where I thought "this is better", once we had a few passes on the edge of the box before Long (I think) misplaced a pass to Targett, then Tadic whipped in a nice cross which they did well to clear. Unfortunately when these two pieces of play came to nothing it was frustrating because it HAD to come to something else we were going out - really this sort of play should have been happening earlier, when "nearly" moments are ok and help build confidence and momentum, rather than being an unsuccessful last roll of the dice.

5) It's gutting to be out, but the way we are playing at the moment, it really might be for the best. We don't look anywhere capable of winning games in Europe or in the Premier League, without having to cope with them both.

6) Hope Wanyama doesn't now use "I want to play in the Europa League" as an excuse to join Tottenham...