Signings

MarkSFC

Wasn't VvD cup tied in Europe anyway having played for Celtic who are now in Europa League?

I guess if he's determined to play in Europa, this may incline him to stay at Celtic - but my understanding was that he wouldn't be eligible to play for Saints in that competition anyway.

League stages are separate from knock - out. Whichever, we don't need him for Europe any more.

It's just like Lowe is pulling the strings again. Sell anything that moves and replace them with cheap sh*te.

A terrible strategy. We need to sign a quality defender, quality midfielder and quality forward. Ron knows it, I wouldn't blame him for walking if the board f*ck him around.

That would be the Rupert Lowe who was heavily criticised for buying the young Schneiderlin for about £1.5m from whom the club has recouped a huge profit. Having just bought in, about 7 players, mostly with international experience in their own countries, the idea that the club will buy 3 more players is a non-starter. May even be a doubt now as to whether the Van Dijk move will go through.

That would be the Rupert Lowe who was heavily criticised for buying the young Schneiderlin for about £1.5m from whom the club has recouped a huge profit. Having just bought in, about 7 players, mostly with international experience in their own countries, the idea that the club will buy 3 more players is a non-starter. May even be a doubt now as to whether the Van Dijk move will go through.

If it's a non-starter we will struggle. We have been dogsh*t this season.

If the club were serious about improving the squad, Cedric would have been bought as a young right back with potential and we'd have brought someone else in as first choice, rather than having Martina as a utility back up.

Targett should be loaned out for the season. Doubt he'll ever be good enough to be honest but he's a liability in the first team. Go and buy a young left back with some actual talent to be Bertrand's back up

Loan out JWP and bring in a proper no 10 who might be able to create a chance occasionally.

Sign a striker as competition for Pelle, he can't do it all on his own and I don't think anyone is convinced he's that good anyway.

I realise this will cost money but when you see how much money other teams are spending is it really too much to ask we have a net spend of 15-20 million this summer?

As I have said many times before, our sole aim is to stay in the EPL and anything else is a bonus. Trouble with sailing so close to the wind is that you can easily tip over. In such an eventuality the board will hope to make a quick return aka Norwich City. That is our model and anything more is pure propaganda.

If we lose top class players it is very unlikely that we will replace them with similar quality ones but surely if we had Wanyama Claise Mane Bertrand playing last night we would have done better

We also seem to have identified a CB who for a pretty good reason has not signed for us at the moment.

The four players we have have signed surely have to be given time to see how they develop and get used to SFC

IMO our current style and tactics are all about our full backs. Cedric, martina and targett are currently not able to perform the role to RK's satisfaction but his hands are tied with Bertrand still out etc.

Our full backs need to have pace, energy and be an attacking threat as well as being able to defend. Clyne and Bertrand gave us all that.

The weaknesses in these positions thus far have, IMO, put extra pressure on the cb's and the dm's. I reckon this is why we switched to a 532/352 formation.

I think we'll be a better team with Bertrand but I'm not sure yet about cedric. We'll see I guess.

I think we'll see a CB and one other but I'd like to see a CB, an AM and a striker.

Ans WBA have just signed Johnny Evans for 6M with a further 2M add ons. How did we miss this one?

I wondered the same thing. Koulibali looks set for Norwich of all places. I'm actually beginning to wonder why VvD would come to Saints? In fact, why would anybody want to come to Saints? We pay lower wages than every other Premiership club and sell our best players. We're not exactly sending out a positive message at the moment. Most players would be looking at us and thinking 'there's a club on a slippery slope'.

I wondered the same thing. Koulibali looks set for Norwich of all places. I'm actually beginning to wonder why VvD would come to Saints? In fact, why would anybody want to come to Saints? We pay lower wages than every other Premiership club and sell our best players. We're not exactly sending out a positive message at the moment. Most players would be looking at us and thinking 'there's a club on a slippery slope'.

Similar to Newcastle IMO

It's simple we have no ambition, We need to stop selling quality stop letting players dictate that they want to leave! need to take a much more firm stance! ok so you do not want to play for Saints go and train with the under 21's!!! and lastly stop replacing quality with cheap dross!

Start realizing players like Ward Prowse are Toilet! get some players capable of hitting the back of the net once in a while, When was the last time Prowse / Davis scored when dinosaurs roamed the planet?

Get a decent striker! £15 - £20 million we have the money! get it done

we have needed a new striker since January. That has been obvious

The Juanmi signing should have been someone who could come in and give pelle a proper run for his money.

but no, bargain bin again

Bargain bin? a player who was highly rated last year in La Liga and was good enough to gain a call up to the Spanish National team, yet you make it sound like we have signed Bret Ormerod.

He'd be better than these players from other european leagues

IMO our current style and tactics are all about our full backs. Cedric, martina and targett are currently not able to perform the role to RK's satisfaction but his hands are tied with Bertrand still out etc.

Our full backs need to have pace, energy and be an attacking threat as well as being able to defend. Clyne and Bertrand gave us all that.

The weaknesses in these positions thus far have, IMO, put extra pressure on the cb's and the dm's. I reckon this is why we switched to a 532/352 formation.

I think we'll be a better team with Bertrand but I'm not sure yet about cedric. We'll see I guess.

I think we'll see a CB and one other but I'd like to see a CB, an AM and a striker.

This is the religion I have been preaching too Webby.

Bargain bin? a player who was highly rated last year in La Liga and was good enough to gain a call up to the Spanish National team, yet you make it sound like we have signed Bret Ormerod.

He may not be bargain bin but he's currently offering zilch to the first team in a time when we are creating and scoring **** all. We do need signings to be able to contribute from day in most cases, not in a years time once they've been through Saints super Ivan Drago training routine.

He may not be bargain bin but he's currently offering zilch to the first team in a time when we are creating and scoring **** all. We do need signings to be able to contribute from day in most cases, not in a years time once they've been through Saints super Ivan Drago training routine.

They were talking about our signings during the Sports Bar with Andy Goldstein and Jason Cundy on talkSPORT last night in between Selco adverts.

Cundy reckons we have ****ed up.

They were talking about our signings during the Sports Bar with Andy Goldstein and Jason Cundy on talkSPORT last night in between Selco adverts.

Cundy reckons we have ****ed up.

I always see an endorsement from Jason Cundy as the platform for an outstanding season.

This is going to take some getting over.

Jonny Evans? That bit part Man U defensive calamity that's never even been that regular for his country even? He was never, ever, going to be part of a serious Champions League club. Did you notice how many other top 10 sides missed out on him too? I'm suprised he didn't end up at Sunderland (where he had two seasons with already), as they usually take most of Man U's young defensive cast off's that never made the grade. And he's not even that young, he's older than Yoshida and Gardos and much older than Caulker. He's way past improving anymore.

No, we didn't miss out on Jonny Evans.

Get Bertrand back,Clasie back,VVD in and give QPR what they want for Austin and things will be a whole let better.4 days Les,get it done.

Agree with this, don't think the board are ambitious enough or even believe there's a problem at the moment though.

Agree we didn't miss out on him but for the integrity of the Forum I have to state that he is a regular for Northern Ireland and will start for them every time he is fit to.

It's his fitness then. I based what i said about him by looking at our Steven Davis's appearences for N Irland too. And he's played 30 more times than Evans. From just 1 year longer service. And concluded that he can't be that regular then.

For me we need three signings. A centre back, somebody with real pace and a goal scorer. If Pelle breaks his leg at the weekend who plays up front and is a goal scoring threat? With Mane out of the team and JRod still not 100% where is the pace in the team? Fonte is struggling for form and without Toby we have no top class centre back.

Virgil is the obvious choice for the centre back and I would like to see us go back for Austin. I have seen a bit of him and he is what the team needs. He can score goals, he shoots on sight and if anything happens to Pelle or we need a late goal he is ideal. It will also mean that Pelle isn't an automatic first choice and can't keep playing if he goes through a run of bad form like last season simply because there isn't anybody else.

I would also love to see us go for Townsend. A pacey direct player who can play on either win. Without Mane we are so one paced and we cannot change to a more direct attacking set up. Defenders don't like going up against pace and this week we didn't have any.

I also think that if our big overseas signings continue to fail to deliver we need to give a real chance to the talent we are famous for but has been overlooked so far this season, the youngsters such as Reed, McQueen and Seager.

Most players would be looking at us and thinking 'there's a club on a slippery slope'.

They won't, because they're not over-emotional, wounded animal football fans overreacting to a bad run of games. They're not attached, so they can see the forest for the trees.

(That's not directed at you personally!)

On topic, I wouldn't be upset if Van Dijk was the last signing. We've recruited in all the other positions we needed to and they all look okay to me. Get the best out of the squad we have and they'll do well.

We could always use another great striker, but who wouldn't? I can't think of an obvious candidate (Austin's injury record is too big a worry for me) and there's no use spending money for the sake of it.

Edited by DuncanRG

If the club were serious about improving the squad, Cedric would have been bought as a young right back with potential and we'd have brought someone else in as first choice, rather than having Martina as a utility back up.

Targett should be loaned out for the season. Doubt he'll ever be good enough to be honest but he's a liability in the first team. Go and buy a young left back with some actual talent to be Bertrand's back up

Loan out JWP and bring in a proper no 10 who might be able to create a chance occasionally.

Sign a striker as competition for Pelle, he can't do it all on his own and I don't think anyone is convinced he's that good anyway.

I realise this will cost money but when you see how much money other teams are spending is it really too much to ask we have a net spend of 15-20 million this summer?

This! Tommog was saying exactly this just a week ago and people slammed him. Seems like people are finally pulling their heads out the sand.

One of the staff (may have been Reed, can't remember) openly admitted in one of those behind the scenes videos that Cedric was being looked at as a signing for the future, to go behind Clyne. When Clyne left and our first choice right back target (who went unnamed) was no longer available, they sat down and debated whether Cedric was ready to go into the team and decided he was.

So the club actually agreed with you. If your top target isn't going to come, you can't magic another one out of thin air - you go for who's next on the list.

Edited by DuncanRG

One of the staff (may have been Reed, can't remember) openly admitted in one of those behind the scenes videos that Cedric was being looked at as a signing for the future, to go behind Clyne. When Clyne left and our first choice right back target (who went unnamed) was no longer available, they sat down and debated whether Cedric was ready to go into the team and decided he was.

So the club actually agreed with you. If your top target isn't going to come, you can't magic another one out of thin air - you go for who's next on the list.

apples and pears nonsense.