Out sung again

bungle

Hmm. Great support but its largely been earned through having years upon years of success to brag about and enduring no real hardship as a football club. Barcelona have excellent support as well, as do Bayern Munich.

They're essentially just thoroughly spoiled. Nothing bad about that if your fans are from Manchester, but a ****tonne of them are of course, from absolutely nowhere near. They support United because they're the biggest, bestest and greatest club in the World(®)*

I sometimes like to confront United plastics by telling them that if I were to say that I were a Barcelona fan and I remember watching when 'we' beat United in the CL final 3-1, this would be no less ridiculous than the United fans from Woking saying the same thing regarding Man U.

It also gets my goat when their generic response to 'We support our local team' is 'you support your local ****', because that's precisely the point fans are making.

United are a big club and have had fortunes to spend largely because the of the absolute mass of glory-hunting ******s that abound on this planet who don't want to knuckle down and earn success at a local level, but instead, ride the coattails of those who've already earned it; and when United come out with chants like that which essentially defend precisely that attitude, it really does reek of hypocrisy when they criticise City for being the new beneficiaries of football's globalisation which is of course, owed to exactly the same thing.

This is why Manchester City are almost a second team to me now. Everyone else has to deal with supporting a local team who has a cap on what it can achieve, except for United who want to be the best and most successful club forever whilst saying that they deserve their higher spending power by pointing out that its all because they've been successful in the past (knowing full well that absolutely no-one can possibly challenge their repeatedly inherited 'footballing wealth and success').

This of course, can only really be challenged with the injection of endless trunks of money; the kind of which that City and Chelsea have brought into the league. And whilst it may have come from afar, its owed to precisely the same contemptible human trait of bandwagon-jumping, glory-hunting, fickle, smug-****ishness-that-needs-to claim-victory-for-something-that-has-nothing-to-do-with-them that United would be (and for a long time, were) more than happy to be the beneficiaries of if it favoured them.

A friend of mine in China sent our Whatsapp group a picture of five young men all in a row, all with 'Kun Aguero' on the back of their City shirts at a bar in Shanghai. United's fans from Reading, S****horpe, Plymouth, Cardiff and Bristol (that they're quite happy to embrace) are absolutely no different to the Chinese glory hunters.

So it looks like United will, delightfully, have to come to terms with the fact that they too will have a 'station' in football above which they cannot possibly hope to progress. Something that they would have no problem with whatsoever if it weren't for the fact that they probably won't be uncontested at the very top ever again.

Just over two years ago I made a smug and confident prediction that City and Chelsea would win at least 8 of the next 10 Premier League titles. Something I've been reminding United fans of ever since. Looks like that prediction is down to 6 of the next 8 and very probably 5 of the next 7. I'll be very interested to see how they cope with my being proven right.

*Yes, I realise that most of the away fans who get to the front of the queue for tickets are indeed Mancs.

Any chance you could be a little more bitter?

It's getting worse every season. Twice this season I have been told to quieten down by a supporter. It all comes down to ticket pricing, less and less working class people can afford to go. People more likely to drink, and make a day of things. It's why most teams support is on a downward spiral. Doesn't make anyone less of a supporter but will affect the Atmosphere.

I can't believe you have been told to quieten down.

And I'm sure I could find you a video of Sunderland fans singing when 8 down against us. Or a video of our fans when getting thumped somewhere. Pretty ridiculous to take a freak one off game of that nature to generalise from.

You'll see it next weekend. They'll sing a bit whilst it's level, if they go behind they'll be silent, if they're in front they'll sing. Just like the support of 99% of clubs in this country. The same as Chelsea, Spurs, Villa, Everton etc etc. It's the nature of supporters in this country. Sing when you're winning. Just about every club is the same, so I find it strange why threads like these get started

But your original point was that it is a "myth" in terms on Man Utd having loud support; then it was that they only sing when they're winning; now they're just the same as all other clubs.

No-one likes Man Utd, but their away support is one of the best in the country and has been for a long time, no harm in admitting that.

Hmm. Great support but its largely been earned through having years upon years of success to brag about and enduring no real hardship as a football club. Barcelona have excellent support as well, as do Bayern Munich.

They're essentially just thoroughly spoiled. Nothing bad about that if your fans are from Manchester, but a ****tonne of them are of course, from absolutely nowhere near. They support United because they're the biggest, bestest and greatest club in the World(®)*

I sometimes like to confront United plastics by telling them that if I were to say that I were a Barcelona fan and I remember watching when 'we' beat United in the CL final 3-1, this would be no less ridiculous than the United fans from Woking saying the same thing regarding Man U.

It also gets my goat when their generic response to 'We support our local team' is 'you support your local ****', because that's precisely the point fans are making.

United are a big club and have had fortunes to spend largely because the of the absolute mass of glory-hunting ******s that abound on this planet who don't want to knuckle down and earn success at a local level, but instead, ride the coattails of those who've already earned it; and when United come out with chants like that which essentially defend precisely that attitude, it really does reek of hypocrisy when they criticise City for being the new beneficiaries of football's globalisation which is of course, owed to exactly the same thing.

This is why Manchester City are almost a second team to me now. Everyone else has to deal with supporting a local team who has a cap on what it can achieve, except for United who want to be the best and most successful club forever whilst saying that they deserve their higher spending power by pointing out that its all because they've been successful in the past (knowing full well that absolutely no-one can possibly challenge their repeatedly inherited 'footballing wealth and success').

This of course, can only really be challenged with the injection of endless trunks of money; the kind of which that City and Chelsea have brought into the league. And whilst it may have come from afar, its owed to precisely the same contemptible human trait of bandwagon-jumping, glory-hunting, fickle, smug-****ishness-that-needs-to claim-victory-for-something-that-has-nothing-to-do-with-them that United would be (and for a long time, were) more than happy to be the beneficiaries of if it favoured them.

A friend of mine in China sent our Whatsapp group a picture of five young men all in a row, all with 'Kun Aguero' on the back of their City shirts at a bar in Shanghai. United's fans from Reading, S****horpe, Plymouth, Cardiff and Bristol (that they're quite happy to embrace) are absolutely no different to the Chinese glory hunters.

So it looks like United will, delightfully, have to come to terms with the fact that they too will have a 'station' in football above which they cannot possibly hope to progress. Something that they would have no problem with whatsoever if it weren't for the fact that they probably won't be uncontested at the very top ever again.

Just over two years ago I made a smug and confident prediction that City and Chelsea would win at least 8 of the next 10 Premier League titles. Something I've been reminding United fans of ever since. Looks like that prediction is down to 6 of the next 8 and very probably 5 of the next 7. I'll be very interested to see how they cope with my being proven right.

*Yes, I realise that most of the away fans who get to the front of the queue for tickets are indeed Mancs.

What about Man Utd's consistently big support throughout the 70s and 80s, when they were relatively speaking pretty average?

Barcelona have crap support by the way.

Utter krap. Sorry.

For the first 20 minutes of the coverage of the game here on BeIn Sports something went wrong with the Commentary, In fact we were expecting it to be in Arabic and then boom it was in English.

In those first 20 minutes the ONLY sound coming from the TV were our fans singing.

I have no idea where you were sat, or how TV had put their microphones but the support was as good as ever at an Away game.

Our fans sang all game, we heard it even once we had commentary, and the SRL stuff was commented on as being "unusual and impressive"

Apologies for popping on and stating some facts. you can now go back to being the moaning forum.

:lol: Not one single person who was at the game would agree with you on that.

Utter krap. Sorry.

For the first 20 minutes of the coverage of the game here on BeIn Sports something went wrong with the Commentary, In fact we were expecting it to be in Arabic and then boom it was in English.

In those first 20 minutes the ONLY sound coming from the TV were our fans singing.

I have no idea where you were sat, or how TV had put their microphones but the support was as good as ever at an Away game.

Our fans sang all game, we heard it even once we had commentary, and the SRL stuff was commented on as being "unusual and impressive"

Apologies for popping on and stating some facts. you can now go back to being the moaning forum.

I'm not sure how we sounded so loud. I was there and was utterly disappointed with the support. We don't sing before the game and it's only when the teams came out that our one and only bloody song OWTS is sung and then fizzles out as soon as it gets to clapping.

IMO the away support has got ALOT worse since coming back to the PL. during our League 1 and Champ seasons on the whole the 10-15 away games per season I went too were always excellent.

My observation and thoughts are as follows:

1. As it's the prem we get "part time" away fans who aren't bothered about singing and would rather sit than stand.

2. As I said observation, but i reckon 15-20% of the away fans at WBA were female. Now that's great but it's 100% was not the case when i was travelling during our promotion season. Shows how our support base has changed.

3. We have no ****ing songs. Our range of songs is shocking.

4. Why people are saying Man Utd only sing when their winning is rubbish. It pains me to say but they have been the best away support at SMS since we got promoted back.

This season I have done all our away trips. Watford was awful, WBA slightly better. Newcastle was more like the old away days.

It's so frustrating as I used to think how good our away support was. Fulham away 3-0 win sticks in my mind as one of the best away prem I've been too.

Interested in everyone's thoughts?!!

But your original point was that it is a "myth" in terms on Man Utd having loud support; then it was that they only sing when they're winning; now they're just the same as all other clubs.

No-one likes Man Utd, but their away support is one of the best in the country and has been for a long time, no harm in admitting that.

I actually have more time for Man Utd than most. Lived in Manchester for 10 years and appreciate their history and stature, and I think they have retained small but important traditions that I quite like. I just happen to think most supporters in this country are very similar, so don't see any one set as particularly better than the other. The only supporters in the league that offer something different is Palace, and that style of support seems to have a marmite effect on people. Support in this league is crap throughout and until ticket prices are halved it will continue to be this way

Because of the strict criteria placed on away ticket sales you are only ever going to have a similar bunch of people from a 'select' pool going to away games. It's too hard to get a ticket these days, so many of the 'lads' who would make a day of it (and probably make a racket) just can't go. So it's left to the Kingsland halfway line old-boys and their tag along daughters to snap up all the tickets. Itso facto ****e atmosphere.

I actually have more time for Man Utd than most. Lived in Manchester for 10 years and appreciate their history and stature, and I think they have retained small but important traditions that I quite like. I just happen to think most supporters in this country are very similar, so don't see any one set as particularly better than the other. The only supporters in the league that offer something different is Palace, and that style of support seems to have a marmite effect on people. Support in this league is crap throughout and until ticket prices are halved it will continue to be this way

So Norwich's & Man Utd's away support are very similar?

I end up moaning every week, our 'support' is genuinely w*nk now. Not sure what can be done about it but the whole make-up of the type of people in our away ends has changed from League One/Championship days.

I don't understand, have you stopped going then?

Any chance you could be a little more bitter?

Would you consider those who complain about Chelsea and City's exorbitant and unchallengeable wealth to be 'bitter'?

Or would you demand that they just shrug and put up with it as well?

Because there is fundamentally no difference whatsoever between generating support, shirt sales, advertising revenue and ultimately financial clout and success on the pitch through Wang Lin and Dong Shong in Shanghai as there is Paul and Ian from Woking and S****horpe. Its all generated from the same lazy, glory-hunting, disloyal, bandwagon-jumping trait of human nature.

United fans are OK with one because it suits them, and not with another, because it doesn't.

I'm just pointing out their hypocrisy.

And considering that the vast majority supported United in the first place because they wanted to attach themselves to the club that they hoped would effortlessly waltz to title after title, but are instead going to have to 'learn their place and their limits' in the same manner that they hoped/expected everyone-else-but-them would have to, its very enjoyable.

I can't believe you have been told to quieten down.

No one was as shocked as I was. An earlier post mentioned if we're so worried about the poor atmosphere why not sing? Well I try pretty much every away game to no avail. Chelsea will be the same. Although if history is to go by- the lower tier will be 10x better than the upper.

A good atmosphere should be spontaneous - not planned. We've always had a mixed demographic at away games - as long as I can remember. Most clubs do (with a few exceptions). So that shouldn't be an issue. Seat allocations is probably the best point raised here. At England away games, these are ignored and everyone stands where they like. There is almost always a decent atmosphere as you roll in to the ground with your mates & have a good sing song. Not sure how realistic it is for that to happen at Saints games - people are too precious about their seat number.

Well if you went to West Brom and didn't like the atmosphere, you need to look in the mirror and up your game!

Rather than moaning on here, how about getting together with some of your fellow moanees and organising some sort of community singing workshops?

The rest of us who didn't go will judge you on your next game, though we will obviously rely on your version of events to tell us if you have got your act together or not...

Good luck with all that, let's see if you can break down that shameful wall of silence - the wall I heard singing OWTS on TV.

From where I was stood I thought we did pretty well, fortunately the guys around me joined in more often than not when any chants got going. But that is one of the problems too many gaps between the singers and by the time songs had filtered through to us, the originators had moved onto a new song, which is why a long slow OWTS is virtually the only time we got singing in unison.

WBA fans were pretty dire, but they had even less than us to cheer about!!

I've been at every away this season with the exception of Newcastle as i couldn't afford it having just done Vitesse. For what it's worth i'd say our away support has been seriously declining since promotion in terms of noise, but the weird thing is i see many of the same faces i did in the Championship and League One at games still.

What i do notice now is that people tend to "sit" in their own seats a lot more, with the exception of a few games last season most people get their ticket and then head where they have on the ticket, in league one and the championship people would just rock up and take the one they fancied (same thing happened at Vitesse too) which meant you got larger groups of like minded people standing together, often at the back.

Personally what i find really strange is that i've been at a few aways in the premier league where there are people at the back who want to sit and people at the front that want to stand, and the people who want sit are generally (but not always) quieter and often moan at people for standing. To be it'd make a lot more sense if you're a sitter and have a ticket up the back of stands to just go to the front and let those that want to stand stand.

I'm hoping Chelsea will be sightly better though as for once we've been able to choose our tickets and i'd assuming the sit down folks will have done the thing of taking the ones not at the back of the stand so those like us that want to can go there and make some noise.

A wall of silence from the 2700 Saints fans yesterday. Incredibly frustrating when we were on top (if not performing brilliantly), and some real vocal support could have made a difference.

Other than Midtjylland at home, I make that every single game this season that we have been out sung by the opposition and, like yesterday, that hasn't been because the opposition fans are particularly loud.

It seems over the last couple of seasons that while numbers travelling have gone up, the amount of chanting has gone well down. Not great at home either, and Man Utd fans will embarrass us next Sunday (as per).

What can be done about it?

I could not care less, as I am confident that the noise made by the crowd has very little bearing on the performance of the players.

A good atmosphere should be spontaneous - not planned. We've always had a mixed demographic at away games - as long as I can remember. Most clubs do (with a few exceptions). So that shouldn't be an issue. Seat allocations is probably the best point raised here. At England away games, these are ignored and everyone stands where they like. There is almost always a decent atmosphere as you roll in to the ground with your mates & have a good sing song. Not sure how realistic it is for that to happen at Saints games - people are too precious about their seat number.

I think this is partly why the club have introduced the option to select seats at away games, so large groups can all stand in the same areas of the away section.

People can mock Leicester fans all they want, but I went to the away game there last season and their support was brilliant. The stadium was (literally) rocking with all four stands making noise, they kept it up for the full 90 minutes and they had some good songs as well. It really put the atmosphere at SMS to shame.

I only make about two or three aways a season but I can't remember the last good atmosphere I had at an away game, possibly Coventry in League 1. I definitely agree our vocal support has badly declined the last few years both home and away.

Think one of the main reasons is just the lack of songs we now have. As has been mentioned most of our songs are about players, and we have seen a big overhaul of the squad over the last year so many of the songs have become redundant. We really need some new ones. Don't think it helps that the one good song we do have that is truly ours seems to have been nicked by every other club in the league.

I could not care less, as I am confident that the noise made by the crowd has very little bearing on the performance of the players.

Correct. Some academic should research it and report his findings. Who knows we might find it's referees that are most susceptible to crowd pressure.;)

I dare say there may be statistical evidence to prove your theory.

However, in my (possibly misguided) opinion, I think that as fans we feel far more involved with the team, and also show a fair bit of pride in our team, if we can make as big a racket as possible. Yes, it's great to sell out our away allocation, but we could make a bit more noise. I remember the snowy midweek away game up at West Brom (Prutton etc) when we made a non-stop racket all game. Admittedly there was far more riding on the game, but we gave excellent support that night. Though I guess you could argue the result on the pitch was still the same.....

Your not wrong.

What i have to do is make sure i go to the first 3-4 away games so then i have enough tickets on my season ticket to allow me to go to the away games i actually want to go

Do it. We might not hear you if you're not there.

Alternatively, go to church if you want to sing along. Though they might not let you in wearing the dog outfit. Maybe just the dog collar.

You're able to select specific seats for away games online and on the phone like you can with home games. Could certainly do it for Chelsea.

Ah, I didn't book the Chelsea ones, I didn't notice it for the West Brom game which I did do online (and we ended up with last but one row WW seats 1 and 2 because I was on there at 9am)? Maybe it's just on clubs with compatible sites?

I dare say there may be statistical evidence to prove your theory.

However, in my (possibly misguided) opinion, I think that as fans we feel far more involved with the team, and also show a fair bit of pride in our team, if we can make as big a racket as possible. Yes, it's great to sell out our away allocation, but we could make a bit more noise. I remember the snowy midweek away game up at West Brom (Prutton etc) when we made a non-stop racket all game. Admittedly there was far more riding on the game, but we gave excellent support that night. Though I guess you could argue the result on the pitch was still the same.....

Yeah, and no-one blew that cross in for Prutton. Plus we took a load of people to Blackburn and rolled over not long after, and lost 5-2 to Watford in the league cup when half the Saints fans started supporting Watford at 4-0 down. It makes no difference to the players, might sway the ref though.

Can't wait for the cringey "We support our local team" and "Do you come from Manchester" on Sunday.

We were singing "we support our local team" at the plastic fans whilst watching the Man U v Liverpool match in the pub up the road from The Hawthorns on Saturday evening...

Bloody good job I moved down here... :D

Edited by The9

Many years ago I asked Richard Hall (remember him?) whether the fans made any difference. He said that once he was on the pitch he was too busy concentrating too notice.

Other players may feel different.

I was at West Brom on Saturday and the support was poor. I looked around at our fans and the majority were middle aged (including myself), many were female and there were plenty of kids. There weren't a lot of 18 - 30's types who traditionally start the singing and make the most noise. I will always join in singing to support my team but will not sing bloody Pompey songs and nor will most of us oldies - it has no relevance, is tedious and to be honest is embarrassing. I agree that most of our iconic players have departed and our repertoire is somewhat limited as a result. The fact that by far the loudest song of the day was directed at a West Brom player is testament to this. I don't know what the answer is - I do my bit of singing as do a few (but by no means all) of my mates. People have paid their money and can do what they like with their hands and vocal chords but I really don't understand how you can call yourself a fan if you cant even be bothered to applaud, let alone shout. Everyone is capable of making some noise, everyone comments on how great an atmosphere it was when we do, so why don't we do it more often? So many just sit there like mannequins. We have had good away support over the years that I have been following Saints (40 years!) but just lately it has gone flat. There is no doubt that poor performances on the road (no win in our last 9 Prem games I think)

have a bearing on this but we really should be better. Maybe football has irreversibly changed and this is what we're stuck with.

Our home support is pretty good compared to most other Prem teams but unless fans make a big effort to orchestrate themselves, as Palace did and are now creating a cracking atmosphere at home games (as are Leicester - but they are winning most games), I cant see it improving.

What frustrates me is thinking how our support was capable of being class during some of our Champ/League One days.

We've never had the best song repertoire, but we could really get behind the team and just create a generally cracking atmosphere. Thinking back to say, Leeds away where we clung on to that 1-0 victory, i remember the Saints end non stop for the whole of that second half, absolutely going for it. Or the likes of Leyton Orient in the sun when we'd make a racket. That's not to say we didn't have our quiet/flat days, but we also had our good days which just don't seem to happen anymore.

Now there seems to be more blokes in our away ends wearing skinny jeans and snap caps, and there's more women, middle aged people etc- although there's a core which has remained the same, there's clearly a new demographic at away games since our promotion.

As it's been said a lot already- we desperately need some new songs, would be a start anyway.

What frustrates me is thinking how our support was capable of being class during some of our Champ/League One days.

We've never had the best song repertoire, but we could really get behind the team and just create a generally cracking atmosphere. Thinking back to say, Leeds away where we clung on to that 1-0 victory, i remember the Saints end non stop for the whole of that second half, absolutely going for it. Or the likes of Leyton Orient in the sun when we'd make a racket. That's not to say we didn't have our quiet/flat days, but we also had our good days which just don't seem to happen anymore.

Now there seems to be more blokes in our away ends wearing skinny jeans and snap caps, and there's more women, middle aged people etc- although there's a core which has remained the same, there's clearly a new demographic at away games since our promotion.

As it's been said a lot already- we desperately need some new songs, would be a start anyway.

Your post comes across as both ageist and sexist to be honest... Skinny Jeans (your view of youngsters i presume) and middle aged men are not good enough for saints... Nor are women.... So you have just slated a good chunk of the population.

Our support dies out because we have no songs. We have no songs because Les sells all the fans players... He sells the players because we have given up on chasing the dream of the top spots and instead are targeted at being a top 10 prem team that makes money. Under this ownership model the fans can't see us every achieving much and with this no realisation the other aspect that made our support so great (hope/belief and confidence in success) is being undermined.

So we have no songs and are all sat there wondering what is the point of it all... We have little interest in achieving top 4, we played long ball in europe, and all our favourite players have been sold.

Let me think...

"Ricky Lambert... Southampton's goal machine"

"Guly"

"La la la Luke shaw"

"Super Kelv"

"Steve"

He who shall not be named played on the left, right, centre and also made Messi look ****e..."

Even stuff like "Michail Antonio!"

in compairson, the current squad have been with us very little time....

Forster - 1 year, and injured and has no song

Bertrand - 1 year and injured and has no song

Cedric - 2 months? no song

FONTE - OLD TIMER WITH SONG!!! YEAH!!

VVD, CAULKER - 2MONTHS? No song

Yoshi - Squad player, no song unless that "maya hee" effort has made it to the stands?

Wanyama - took us 2 years to come up with an embarrasment of a song that is worse than what celtic had :mcinnes:

JWP - Squad Player no song

Davis - Hard to sing a song about mr consistent non excitement lets be honest.

Tadic - 1 YEAR AND HAS A SONG!!! WOOP WOOP

Mane - Crying out for a radio gaga chant.

Jayrod - Had 1 good season with us, no song.

Pelle - Um, not really?

The club decimates the team in the space of 12months, the fans lose their connection to it and the atmosphere suffers? Go figure right? #southamptonway

I think you'll find that VVD has a song to the tune of "Chim-chiminee". At least to about 10 people near me at West Brom. :D

Interesting ignoring of existing JWP, Mane, Pelle and Rodriguez songs (and the Wanyama one we'd already been using for a year before we got another one) to fit the agenda there.

For those paying even less attention than Saint86, they are:

Wanyama- originally the Celtic song which also used to be Big Daddy's wrestling entrance music :)

JWP "Kumbaya/Marians Pahars"

Mane "Ohhhhh Sadio Mane" (Seven Nation Army) and "Radio Gaga" (rare but heard)

Rodriguez - I just can't get enough

Pelle - both "duh duh duh duh Graziano" (Pigbag) and the awful "It's magic you know... Tadic and Graziano"

Edited by The9

Also FWIW, I don't think we sing any more or less than in the Championship or L1, and I'm sure as hell glad I'm less likely to end up standing next to some of the teenage "can't handle their drink and fight mates/fellow supporters and try and tell people they should be singing more" tosspots floating around in those days.

Sorry if already mentioned, but something else which does not help the atmosphere one iota at away games is the utterly horrific green away kit.

YELLOWS!! YELLOWS!!

It's more the bizarre inability of Saints fans to use the word "Saints" instead of the predominant colour of the home kit when we play away.

"Come on you reds" is stupid when we're not playing in red, "come on you Saints" works at all times.

I'm still waiting on "GREEEEEN ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMY" to catch on. Preferably in the most wurzelly accent possible.

Your post comes across as both ageist and sexist to be honest... Skinny Jeans (your view of youngsters i presume) and middle aged men are not good enough for saints... Nor are women.... So you have just slated a good chunk of the population.

Our support dies out because we have no songs. We have no songs because Les sells all the fans players... He sells the players because we have given up on chasing the dream of the top spots and instead are targeted at being a top 10 prem team that makes money. Under this ownership model the fans can't see us every achieving much and with this no realisation the other aspect that made our support so great (hope/belief and confidence in success) is being undermined.

So we have no songs and are all sat there wondering what is the point of it all... We have little interest in achieving top 4, we played long ball in europe, and all our favourite players have been sold.

Let me think...

"Ricky Lambert... Southampton's goal machine"

"Guly"

"La la la Luke shaw"

"Super Kelv"

"Steve"

He who shall not be named played on the left, right, centre and also made Messi look ****e..."

Even stuff like "Michail Antonio!"

in compairson, the current squad have been with us very little time....

Forster - 1 year, and injured and has no song

Bertrand - 1 year and injured and has no song

Cedric - 2 months? no song

FONTE - OLD TIMER WITH SONG!!! YEAH!!

VVD, CAULKER - 2MONTHS? No song

Yoshi - Squad player, no song unless that "maya hee" effort has made it to the stands?

Wanyama - took us 2 years to come up with an embarrasment of a song that is worse than what celtic had :mcinnes:

JWP - Squad Player no song

Davis - Hard to sing a song about mr consistent non excitement lets be honest.

Tadic - 1 YEAR AND HAS A SONG!!! WOOP WOOP

Mane - Crying out for a radio gaga chant.

Jayrod - Had 1 good season with us, no song.

Pelle - Um, not really?

The club decimates the team in the space of 12months, the fans lose their connection to it and the atmosphere suffers? Go figure right? #southamptonway

So just to clarify... it's Les Reed's fault that our away support is crap?

A few tried to get "Van Dijk, in the middle of defence" started on Saturday but it fizzled out quite quickly.

I heard that, fizzled out because it isn't "clever" like singing "Our Claus" is.

It would be like having another player called Rickie up front who was 5ft 8 or something, when we were already in the Premier League, and who didn't wear number 7, and trying to make his song fit.

Reading what everyone's been saying, I think we can agree on one thing - we need more songs. Lack of chant variety may not be the only reason our vocal support has been average over the last few seasons, but it's definitely playing a part. And arguably it's the easiest thing to sort out.. we just need more people helping to start new songs.

We have our 'anthem' (like Liverpool have YNWA and Hammers have Blowing Bubbles). But we need some other songs that are only sung by us. I think originality is key. After hearing a quiet yet promising rendition of the woolston ferry I was delighted. I tried to kick it off with a few mates against Norwich but to no avail. Those are the kind of songs we should be singing.

And if only we could sing radio gaga for Mané... would be brilliant. I don't know why we can never get it properly going.

I think one of the reasons for lack of atmosphere at Saints games now is we lack many matches that have an 'edge' . In the past we went through a spell of playing the Skates but also games like promotion battles with Brighton / Reading, teams like Bristol City would see us as a big tie and bring a lively following to us and make it intimidating at their place. Everything just seems a bit to nice and cosy now, no other teams really see us a big game

Back in the Dell days the atmosphere would only really get going in the relegation battles or a big cup night.

As someone else has pointed out a number of songs in our promotion years were based around us going up / pompey going down or popular players that no longer play for us.

we need to have several anthems.

Oh When the saints, The Woolston Ferry are both great. The one I have been promoting for a long time is 'Sailing'. It would really catch on with our links to the sea. the words are well known and easily adaptable. And as i have said before the acoustics would drown out everything else.

I am a bit lost for words as to why this hasnt been taken up. All the players songs are very short lived (as others have said). We are building on the club. The club and city and supporters are what we support. The atmosphere, the recognition, everything is right for this song to be our alternative anthem.