Out sung again

bungle

More songs not based on players or the really **** 'we do what we want, we do what we want, we are Southampton, we do what we want' which is surely one of the least inspiring football songs ever that gets applied to many situations!

We need more flags, some big banners, some organised and proper printed banners and more songs.

Someone just needs to get it started who can make it happen and build it. It can be done.

we need to have several anthems.

Oh When the saints, The Woolston Ferry are both great. The one I have been promoting for a long time is 'Sailing'. It would really catch on with our links to the sea. the words are well known and easily adaptable. And as i have said before the acoustics would drown out everything else.

I am a bit lost for words as to why this hasnt been taken up. All the players songs are very short lived (as others have said). We are building on the club. The club and city and supporters are what we support. The atmosphere, the recognition, everything is right for this song to be our alternative anthem.

Not this again :lol:

We need more flags, some big banners, some organised and proper printed banners and more songs.

Someone just needs to get it started who can make it happen and build it. It can be done.

No we don't.

Not this again :lol:

No we don't.

explain why we don't...and why it would not be a good thing to see...please...for someone clearly so stupid for thinking it looks and sounds great at other stadiums!

Or alternatively explain why a quiet passive stadium would be a good experience...

Or why players and managers seem to express pleasure when the crowd is loud and supportive if it doesn't matter.

Edited by Daft Kerplunk

I am a bit lost for words as to why this hasnt been taken up. All the players songs are very short lived (as others have said). We are building on the club. The club and city and supporters are what we support. The atmosphere, the recognition, everything is right for this song to be our alternative anthem.

Except that it will be forever associated with the Royal Navy and thus (wrongly) the Skates (Ark Royal was based at Devonport not Pompey).

Personally don't have a problem with a decent Sutherland Brothers song even if it was subsequently murdered by Rod the Mod.

This is a joke, right? They might play a short crowd noise just before kick off but that is it.

It's an old Portsmyth that was touted as a truth for years after a pre season friendly game where the pre match warm up person left their microphone on and it picked up the noise from the Northam. In the heads of the deluded blue few this became "SCAMMERS PIPE CROWD NOISE IN".

Only people i've ever seen mention it are that weird breed with a family trunk down in Pompey.

It's an old Portsmyth that was touted as a truth for years after a pre season friendly game where the pre match warm up person left their microphone on and it picked up the noise from the Northam. In the heads of the deluded blue few this became "SCAMMERS PIPE CROWD NOISE IN".

Only people i've ever seen mention it are that weird breed with a family trunk down in Pompey.

First time I've ever heard it.

Your post comes across as both ageist and sexist to be honest... Skinny Jeans (your view of youngsters i presume) and middle aged men are not good enough for saints... Nor are women.... So you have just slated a good chunk of the population.

Our support dies out because we have no songs. We have no songs because Les sells all the fans players... He sells the players because we have given up on chasing the dream of the top spots and instead are targeted at being a top 10 prem team that makes money. Under this ownership model the fans can't see us every achieving much and with this no realisation the other aspect that made our support so great (hope/belief and confidence in success) is being undermined.

So we have no songs and are all sat there wondering what is the point of it all... We have little interest in achieving top 4, we played long ball in europe, and all our favourite players have been sold.

Let me think...

"Ricky Lambert... Southampton's goal machine"

"Guly"

"La la la Luke shaw"

"Super Kelv"

"Steve"

He who shall not be named played on the left, right, centre and also made Messi look ****e..."

Even stuff like "Michail Antonio!"

in compairson, the current squad have been with us very little time....

Forster - 1 year, and injured and has no song

Bertrand - 1 year and injured and has no song

Cedric - 2 months? no song

FONTE - OLD TIMER WITH SONG!!! YEAH!!

VVD, CAULKER - 2MONTHS? No song

Yoshi - Squad player, no song unless that "maya hee" effort has made it to the stands?

Wanyama - took us 2 years to come up with an embarrasment of a song that is worse than what celtic had :mcinnes:

JWP - Squad Player no song

Davis - Hard to sing a song about mr consistent non excitement lets be honest.

Tadic - 1 YEAR AND HAS A SONG!!! WOOP WOOP

Mane - Crying out for a radio gaga chant.

Jayrod - Had 1 good season with us, no song.

Pelle - Um, not really?

The club decimates the team in the space of 12months, the fans lose their connection to it and the atmosphere suffers? Go figure right? #southamptonway

I'm just stating a fact though, and you've chosen to interpret it in that way. We have seen a rise in skinny jean/snap cap type blokes, middle aged people with more money and women at away games.

It's not sexist but just honest to say that a lot of women are a lot more quiet, don't enjoy such 'lively' away support etc, I've gone to enough away games over the years to know that.

You are right Vectis. I think however everyone will either forget or not be bothered once they hear 30k singing it at St Marys and around the country. The impact of the words (most people already know most of them) and the team plus i think once the club catch on they will appreciate and promote it.

Ive been a sound engineer at a number of stadia, indoors and out and there are few tunes that can match its intensity. One of the other is Bohemian rhapsody but that's an non starter for us. The reason I keep plugging it is I've heard it lift a crowd's emotions, raise the hairs on your neck and I know it would do the same at the football.

I'm just stating a fact though, and you've chosen to interpret it in that way. We have seen a rise in skinny jean/snap cap type blokes, middle aged people with more money and women at away games.

It's not sexist but just honest to say that a lot of women are a lot more quiet, don't enjoy such 'lively' away support etc, I've gone to enough away games over the years to know that.

The woman behind me at West Brom didn't shut up all game. Didn't sing once but had a heroic bout of verbal diarrhoea.

I saw a chap in a tweed cap with a beard and skinny jeans.There's plenty of them watching Dulwich Hamlet these days but they don't make up even a tiny percentage of our support.

Following on from last Saturday's tribute to SRL, probably the loudest song on Sunday, to be Luke Shaw to tune of Hey Jude? Which would be pretty ironic as I think he'd have got plenty of abuse if he'd played, judging by the jeers and You Fat Bastard chants aimed at him at OT when he was subbed in January!!

Might have missed it, but has anybody mentioned that "There's Only One Markus Liebherr " gets a pretty healthy response a couple of times a game.

I expect us to be largely out sung by the Mancs on Sunday, especially once they get their class rendition of Spirit in the Sky going. We don't like to admit it but our atmosphere is ****e, and has been since the Championship days. Too many people busy playing with their smartphones and neutral Premier League fans.

I expect us to be largely out sung by the Mancs on Sunday, especially once they get their class rendition of Spirit in the Sky going. We don't like to admit it but our atmosphere is ****e, and has been since the Championship days. Too many people busy playing with their smartphones and neutral Premier League fans.

Yup. Smartphones are great things, but when muppets spend the whole game on them it kills the atmosphere. I was stood next to one such idiot at Denmark. He seemed offended by me trying to loudly support the team and spent most of the game looking at this message board on his phone. Complete tool.

Ok, how is this for a song. I was reading something about the Titanic earlier today (you know how the internet leads from one subject matter to another and before you know it an hour has passed...), but I learned that the song, 'The Bells of St. Marys', most famously sung by Bing Crosby in a film of the same name (bear with me), was written in 1914 by two young men, who whilst waiting for their boat 'suddenly heard the bells of St Mary’s ringing across the River Itchen'. Although Bing Crosby changes the words for his song, anyway...

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/heritage/archives/9188573.The_bells_of_St__Mary_s/

The song is not complicated, easy to sing, talks of Pride and Inspiration and best of all is about Saint Marys itself (or rather about our church around the corner), from which we have our nickname. It even ticks the box for a slow song with a regular cadence. In fact I would argue that it is more appropriate to us than 'Oh When the Saints', although that is of course our song we should always sing, as well.

You tube click here:

Full lyrics below:

“Oh Bells of Saint Mary’s,

We always will love you.

With your inspiration

We never will fail.

Your chimes will forever

Bring sweet memories of you.

So proudly ring out while we sing out

Hail, hail hail.

Saint Mary’s, Saint Mary’s,

We hear your voice calling.

Your old girls, your young girls,

The girls you love best.

To you Alma Mater,

With beauty enthralling,

We bring our hearts, we sing our praise

Beloved and best.

Saint Mary’s, Saint Mary’s, Saint Mary’s,

Saint Mary’s, Saint Mary’s.”

Ok, how is this for a song. I was reading something about the Titanic earlier today (you know how the internet leads from one subject matter to another and before you know it an hour has passed...), but I learned that the song, 'The Bells of St. Marys', most famously sung by Bing Crosby in a film of the same name (bear with me), was written in 1914 by two young men, who whilst waiting for their boat 'suddenly heard the bells of St Mary’s ringing across the River Itchen'. Although Bing Crosby changes the words for his song, anyway...

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/heritage/archives/9188573.The_bells_of_St__Mary_s/

The song is not complicated, easy to sing, talks of Pride and Inspiration and best of all is about Saint Marys itself (or rather about our church around the corner), from which we have our nickname. It even ticks the box for a slow song with a regular cadence. In fact I would argue that it is more appropriate to us than 'Oh When the Saints', although that is of course our song we should always sing, as well.

You tube click here:

Full lyrics below:

“Oh Bells of Saint Mary’s,

We always will love you.

With your inspiration

We never will fail.

Your chimes will forever

Bring sweet memories of you.

So proudly ring out while we sing out

Hail, hail hail.

Saint Mary’s, Saint Mary’s,

We hear your voice calling.

Your old girls, your young girls,

The girls you love best.

To you Alma Mater,

With beauty enthralling,

We bring our hearts, we sing our praise

Beloved and best.

Saint Mary’s, Saint Mary’s, Saint Mary’s,

Saint Mary’s, Saint Mary’s.”

I wouldn't hold much hope of this catching on, some of the Northam probably think Alma Mater plays for Man Utd.

Man Utd outsung us today.

When are the club going to get out of the habit of filling executive boxes with away fans?

This is utter sh*te

The man u fans were utterly, utterly silent at 1-0 down and sh*t a brick at 2-3.

It's easy to get a reputation as loud fans if you win regularly. Plenty to shout about.

They better get used to being 5th placed diseased northerners and see how loud they are then.

This is utter sh*te

The man u fans were utterly, utterly silent at 1-0 down and sh*t a brick at 2-3.

It's easy to get a reputation as loud fans if you win regularly. Plenty to shout about.

They better get used to being 5th placed diseased northerners and see how loud they are then.[/quote

Still louder than us i expect.

They were alright but not as good as they've been in the past. Spent too long in and outside the ground singing "you're just a small town in Portsmouth" which is the sort of crappy thing lower league fans do.

There were loads by their coaches after the game singing nonsense while filming themselves with silly grins on their faces which was extremely lame.

This is utter sh*te

They better get used to being 5th placed diseased northerners and see how loud they are then.

How did they get a reputation as loud fans in the 70s , 80s and early 90s?

Why isn't Arsenal or Chelsea's away support comparable?

Did anyone get chucked out at the top of block 2 after they equalised? I was too far away to tell but saw all the stewards up there.

No.

But hopefully the club will stop filling those boxes with lairy away fans, locally residing season ticket holders, quite rightly, aren't happy.

This is utter sh*te

Agree I was sat next to them as soon as we went one up they shut the **** up. They were noisy in the second half but so are all fans whose team is winning and on top. The pick of their fans was the woman, with a rather southern accent, trying to get the stewards to throw out a saints fan she found offensive rather back fired when the Itchen started singing about her STD and where she liked to take it............

Which club's have louder away support? They were better than Everton who won 3-0.

On yesterdays showing they weren't any better than Norwich's fans at making noise when the game was in the balance and Arnhem's fans were better IMO.

They have a good selection of songs and use clapping well to make a lot of noise. The issue was more that like everyone else they went silent when we were one up and got noisy as soon as they started winning they weren't making a constant wall of noise for 90 plus minutes.

On yesterdays showing they weren't any better than Norwich's fans at making noise when the game was in the balance and Arnhem's fans were better IMO.

They have a good selection of songs and use clapping well to make a lot of noise. The issue was more that like everyone else they went silent when we were one up and got noisy as soon as they started winning they weren't making a constant wall of noise for 90 plus minutes.

Arnhem were good, but Norwich :lol:

Which club's have louder away support? They were better than Everton who won 3-0.

Liverpool, Villa, Everton, WBA, West Ham, Spurs, United, Newcastle, S'land etc. They're all the same really. Ok to start, silent when behind, pretty loud when they're winning. You wouldn't expect them to be much different. We all live in the same country with the same footballing culture. Just because they sing with a northern accent doesn't make them any better.

The only supporters you could say are different are Palace, and it's taken a very co-ordianted effort over a prolonged period of time to achieve it

Liverpool, Villa, Everton, WBA, West Ham, Spurs, United, Newcastle, S'land etc. They're all the same really. Ok to start, silent when behind, pretty loud when they're winning. You wouldn't expect them to be much different. We all live in the same country with the same footballing culture. Just because they sing with a northern accent doesn't make them any better.

The only supporters you could say are different are Palace, and it's taken a very co-ordianted effort over a prolonged period of time to achieve it

I assume you weren't at the Everton game a few weeks ago with half their away end sat down.

They were alright but not as good as they've been in the past. Spent too long in and outside the ground singing "you're just a small town in Portsmouth" which is the sort of crappy thing lower league fans do.

There were loads by their coaches after the game singing nonsense while filming themselves with silly grins on their faces which was extremely lame.

These wil be the ones including those from the well known suburbs of Manchester, such as Bridgewater (I kid you not), Rotherham and Farnborough!

I assume you weren't at the Everton game a few weeks ago with half their away end sat down.

I was there they were vocal at the start especially during Ralph's Marcus speech. They all so had plenty to say once they were three up.

Clearly some fans are better than others the big point is this idea that some fans sing even when their team is losing the anecdotal evidence is that all fans generally go quiet when things aren't going well.

I was there they were vocal at the start especially during Ralph's Marcus speech. They all so had plenty to say once they were three up.

Clearly some fans are better than others the big point is this idea that some fans sing even when their team is losing the anecdotal evidence is that all fans generally go quiet when things aren't going well.

No one has said that fans aren't louder/quieter when winning/losing. Verbal Knit has been telling us that all fans are the same, and Man Utd are no better/worse than anyone else, when clearly they've had consistently louder/better support compared to comparable clubs.