Luke Shaw suffers double leg fracture against PSV

Singapore Saint

It's the risk of big injuries like this that makes it the sensible thing for young players to do, to move for big wages even if it is too soon in playing terms. Luke will be insured for much more now that he would have been at saints, and (God forbid) were this to be a career ending injury he'd be much better off with compensation based on his much bigger salary at Man U.

It's the risk of big injuries like this that makes it the sensible thing for young players to do, to move for big wages even if it is too soon in playing terms. Luke will be insured for much more now that he would have been at saints, and (God forbid) were this to be a career ending injury he'd be much better off with compensation based on his much bigger salary at Man U.

Trouble with that is it is the club that is insured against the loss.

Dodged a bullet with Luke and got paid 27million for doing so, though would struggle to see us get a return on any appearance add-ons.

Think he is a truly fantastic player but very, very injury prone, he used to miss games for us with a cold! It's funny how some players are just so sucepitable to injuries..

You are stooooopid.

Very sorry for Luke - hope he gets back to full fitness in time and is able to resume his career.

SFC have one again shown their class with their timely expressions of sympathy and best wishes, as have individuals like Jose and Jay Rod.

Proud of my club once again.

As to whether Luke`s injury will affect the money we got for him, at times like this there are more important things to be concerned with.

Exactly as you said. Get well soon, Luke.

Trouble with that is it is the club that is insured against the loss.

But the club would only incur a loss if it paid his wages while he is medically unfit. No wages no loss. My guess would be his only contractual loss would be play-related bonuses.

But the club would only incur a loss if it paid his wages while he is medically unfit. No wages no loss. My guess would be his only contractual loss would be play-related bonuses.

Depends on the terms of his contract. In most players contracts that I've seen each game missed from an injury in the field of play (or anytime after being selected in a match day squad) is deemed to be an appearance.

Not applicable here but it's a clause that some players have (and no doubt still do) abuse.

Just doesn't seem to have gone well for the players that have left us supposedly for better things over the last couple of years has it? I sympathise, but then again he went there knowing he might not get picked, he might get injured, but whatever happens he'll get rich.

Think it's been referred to as the Titanic effect........... Should never have left Southampton.

This mornings paper mentions Shaw is expected to be out for 6 to 9 months , doesn't sound that long really compared to Rodriguez and Forster.

They were both expected to be out for between 6 and 9 months as well. Best wait and see how long they are actually out before making comparisons, recovery times are not as predictable as some would have you believe.

Just to add insult to injury (at least in Man Utds eyes)

Manchester United fuming as Luke Shaw leg breaker Hector Moreno is named man-of-the-match after Champions League clash

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3237516/Manchester-United-fuming-Luke-Shaw-leg-breaker-Hector-Moreno-named-man-match.html

Roy Keane's take on the tackle

Roy Keane: Moreno tackle on Manchester United's Luke Shaw was brilliant

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/roy-keane-moreno-tackle-manchester-10074514

Manchester United fuming as Luke Shaw leg breaker Hector Moreno is named man-of-the-match after Champions League clash

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3237516/Manchester-United-fuming-Luke-Shaw-leg-breaker-Hector-Moreno-named-man-match.html

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/roy-keane-moreno-tackle-manchester-10074514

In terms of pure sporting achievement, I suppose both assessments are correct. But a young lad suffered a horrific injury with career-ending consequences, so applauding it does seem a bit inappropriate.

Sorry, but when will this be finally put to bed. Yes it would be hideous to have an injury wreck a career, no argument there. BUT why are footballers different form anybody else? This whole 'its a short career' rubbish really gets me wound up, as what is to stop a footballer getting ANOTHER job/career when football is over? most below the prem will have to and the top players used to... why is it that they are all of a sudden work shy after 35?

Many folk have to change careers through no fault of their own, relearn/train/ go back to college etc. Why not footballers? Its not like they don't have to complete normal education, so if football no longer becomes an option, they should look at something else..

The 'its a short career' should be replaced by the truth which is ''I don't want to have to work after I retire from football so want to urn as much cash as I can now'' - at least it would be more honest.

I have every sympathy for any player that has his playing career cut short through injury. BUT I have no sympathy with the attitude that don't expect to work again...

Sorry, but when will this be finally put to bed. Yes it would be hideous to have an injury wreck a career, no argument there. BUT why are footballers different form anybody else? This whole 'its a short career' rubbish really gets me wound up, as what is to stop a footballer getting ANOTHER job/career when football is over? most below the prem will have to and the top players used to... why is it that they are all of a sudden work shy after 35?

Many folk have to change careers through no fault of their own, relearn/train/ go back to college etc. Why not footballers? Its not like they don't have to complete normal education, so if football no longer becomes an option, they should look at something else..

The 'its a short career' should be replaced by the truth which is ''I don't want to have to work after I retire from football so want to urn as much cash as I can now'' - at least it would be more honest.

I have every sympathy for any player that has his playing career cut short through injury. BUT I have no sympathy with the attitude that don't expect to work again...

Yep, I'm with you on this FC. Just because a player suffers a bad broken leg and can't play football any more, doesn't mean for a second that he can't get a proper job and still earn a living. Like you say, even the top players used to have to find another career after retiring from professional sports.

About 15-16 years ago I was working for Formertons in the industrial estate down near to West Quay/Leisure World. There was an old chap working there who looked like he should have retired many years ago. As I was a cocky lad in my early 20s, I just dismissed him as a dopey old codger, much to my shame.

Turns out he was Tommy Traynor!

I agree with the sentiment but Luke is being paid £100,000 a week, where is he going to earn £100k a week after football?

When the opportunity to earn that kind of money is available, players will take it. I think the term "it's a short career" is more around the fact that the window to earn massive money is relatively small. Most players do retrain after their career and try their hands at other professions, most have the opportunity to do so because they have the money behind them to do so.

Roy Keane's idea of a brilliant challenge usually involves someone's kidneys being left on the side of the pitch. Football is a physical game, although nothing like it used to be, and we all enjoy seeing a strong physical challenge by our players. Unfortunately sometimes someone gets seriously hurt.

Just bad luck I reckon. Ryan Giggs never had major injury issues

we all know people that were born lucky and then there are some are not.

Ryan Giggs was injured every single time Wales had a friendly match AND Ferguson made him change his car due to his endless hamstring issues. Bad example.

In case anyone wasn't getting the point, the point is that whether a person gets regular non-contact injuries and is generally sickly the rest of the time, contact injuries, especially serious ones from high-speed collisions have nothing whatsoever to do with being "injury prone".

Pointless argument with yourself given that most of the Prem top 6 starters over the age of 21 will have already earned more than most people do in their entire lives, so of course they're perfectly entitled to retire. They're also entitled to get a job talking crap about football on tv, so careful what you wish for...

The fact they're also incredibly valuable assets and the PFA does its job also means they have excellent pensions nowadays whether they get injured early or not.

Ryan Giggs was injured every single time Wales had a friendly match AND Ferguson made him change his car due to his endless hamstring issues. Bad example.

In case anyone wasn't getting the point, the point is that whether a person gets regular non-contact injuries and is generally sickly the rest of the time, contact injuries, especially serious ones from high-speed collisions have nothing whatsoever to do with being "injury prone".

You just won't leave it will you? Not sure how serious you are on Ryan giggs but...

ok, simply, Luke Shaw is prone to injuries, because, and here's the science bit, he's ****ing injured more than he is not, regardless of how he got injured, it would suggest that makes him 'injury prone'

hth

You just won't leave it will you? Not sure how serious you are on Ryan giggs but...

ok, simply, Luke Shaw is prone to injuries, because, and here's the science bit, he's ****ing injured more than he is not, regardless of how he got injured, it would suggest that makes him 'injury prone'

hth

Absolutely, but that has nothing whatsoever to do with his likelihood of getting seriously injured from a tackle that would break anyone's leg in the same situation.

Oh, and incidentally I don't think posting one response to your point is "not leaving it".