EU referendum

Wade Garrett

Detailed stats from a sample of over 12000 people surveyed by Lord Ashcroft yesterday.

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/how-the-united-kingdom-voted-and-why/?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'd still be interested to know how many 18-24 year olds actually voted because with a 73/27 ratio that should have easily balanced out the old folks voting 40/60 .

I have to say the behaviour/reaction of the remain voters day has been nothing short of disgraceful.

Shock I expect. Let's face it right up until after the polls closed yesterday evening it was still being given 52/48 Remain.

That means that something, somewhere is fundamentally wrong in those polls. Things happened yesterday on markets because the polls were erroneous, occupational hazard to be sure but people have lost money and stuff because of that.

I might suspect (and it's only that) that a certain age group didn't turn out to vote as expected because that's what

applying the given percentages to the demographics would suggest. Oh and the Welsh didn't vote as expected or so it would seem.

I have to say the behaviour/reaction of the remain voters day has been nothing short of disgraceful.

They just don't get it . Instead of understanding that they were on the wrong side of history , the wrong side of the argument , they think that the public were wrong . When you factor in reluctant remain people , or people like my dad who don't like the EU but followed the advice of the Government and others . The country is eurosceptic apart from about 30% , it's those 30% that are throwing their toys out of the pram . They seem to have a very simplistic view that you're either a full on idiot racist or an enlightened progressive . Take my Step mum & Dad , there's s ciggie paper between their views , but he tipped slightly over the remain line & her the leave . It's not a divided 50/50 country , it's more nuanced than that .

Had the EU remained the EEC and stopped prior to Masstrict the country there wouldn't even be a debate . The EU over stretched itself and we saw through it. The enlightened , progressive right on luvvies were too blind to see.

They just don't get it . Instead of understanding that they were on the wrong side of history , the wrong side of the argument , they think that the public were wrong . When you factor in reluctant remain people , or people like my dad who don't like the EU but followed the advice of the Government and others . The country is eurosceptic apart from about 30% , it's those 30% that are throwing their toys out of the pram . They seem to have a very simplistic view that you're either a full on idiot racist or an enlightened progressive . Take my Step mum & Dad , there's s ciggie paper between their views , but he tipped slightly over the remain line & her the leave . It's not a divided 50/50 country , it's more nuanced than that .

Had the EU remained the EEC and stopped prior to Masstrict the country there wouldn't even be a debate . The EU over stretched itself and we saw through it. The enlightened , progressive right on luvvies were too blind to see.

How many people who voted out treated the referendum as a protest vote -as much against Westminster as the EU?

How many people who voted out treated the referendum as a protest vote -as much against Westminster as the EU?

Obviously all remain voters voted on the facts , the question put in front of them and thought their views through . Whereas all the Leave just registered a protest without knowing anything

Yeah people can react badly to bigotry, deception and stupidity.

Oh do behave. The public have spoken. End of story. Get over it. Had remain won and the leavers reacted like that (and today asked for a 2nd referendum!) the remainers would have been absolutely outraged. And of course had there been a remain vote hey would have said "I knew we could trust the public's common sense". As it is all of a sudden the public are "stupid". It's been pathetic.

that is a fair point. In the same way a watched pot never boils, an ignored simmering pot might just end up burning your house down.

Getting a bit sick of all these nippers on Sky & the Bbc crying about oldies voting . Rodney Marsh hit the nail on the head , oldies built this country , paid taxes all their lives , even fought for it. Show some ducking respect ,their vote is as valid as some spotty faced 18 year olds is.

And do you think that by leaving immigration will just suddenly stop?

It won't stop at all and the numbers will drop only marginally, if at all. The people who voted out to reduce immigration will eventually realise they've been sold a pup.

The future for my kids now looks much bleaker than it did yesterday. Congratulations to the Leavers. I sincerely hope your decision doesn't come back to bite us all in the arse but I fear it will.

Doubt it, but then it's up to the UK to take over isn't it. We'll see how we get on with the jungle, in theory they have no reason to stay put because they're not interested in staying in France anyway. Perhaps they'll all swan off to Angelaland, she likes them.

Interesting to see how we're going to stop people travelling freely between Eire and Northern Ireland and onwards to the rest of the UK.

Getting a bit sick of all these nippers on Sky & the Bbc crying about oldies voting . Rodney Marsh hit the nail on the head , oldies built this country , paid taxes all their lives , even fought for it. Show some ducking respect their vote is as valid as some spotty faced 18 year olds is.

And might I add went through some pretty hard times in the Wilson, Heath and Callaghan years. Endured hardships that these sprogs will never know. Now they think they're mistreated if they don't get 20 pints and 10 burgers a week apparently.

Oh do behave. The public have spoken. End of story. Get over it. Had remain won and the leavers reacted like that (and today asked for a 2nd referendum!) the remainers would have been absolutely outraged. And of course had there been a remain vote hey would have said "I knew we could trust the public's common sense". As it is all of a sudden the public are "stupid". It's been pathetic.

Millions of people are deeply unhappy with the result and have no way of changing it. It's not like a general election when the result can be changed in a few years. What form of democracy is that?

Apart from Farage the leave leaders dont even want to go, they thought they could use a result as a bargaining chip. They are praying Merkel comes to their rescue and offers an olive branch. Leave managed to con some people into thinking they were getting independence. In the autumn or next spring there will be a general election with two new party leaders armed with some kind of compromise with the EU. That compromise will be adopted overwhelmingly. In the meantime huge damage has been done to Britain's economy as a safe stable place to invest.

Interesting to see how we're going to stop people travelling freely between Eire and Northern Ireland and onwards to the rest of the UK.

don't even remember how we used to do it, still we're an island and can control arrivals at Stranraer and wherever I suppose.

Might have to write off Northern Ireland though, but then I think we've already done that on occasions.

And might I add went through some pretty hard times in the Wilson, Heath and Callaghan years. Endured hardships that these sprogs will never know. Now they think they're mistreated if they don't get 20 pints and 10 burgers a week apparently.

According to that logic you want them to undergo a couple of decades of hardship just like us. I also went through those years and I wanted my grandchildren to enjoy a prosperous and liberal future life. You've taken that away from them.

Apart from Farage the leave leaders dont even want to go, they thought they could use a result as a bargaining chip. They are praying Merkel comes to their rescue and offers an olive branch. Leave managed to con some people into thinking they were getting independence. In the autumn or next spring there will be a general election with two new party leaders armed with some kind of compromise with the EU. That compromise will be adopted overwhelmingly. In the meantime huge damage has been done to Britain's economy as a safe stable place to invest.

Oh I'm not sure that there will be any olive branchs, last I heard they want us out and no hanging about over it, won't get our 2 years even. I heard some Franco/Germanic politician talking about cutting out the gangrene this very morning.

According to that logic you want them to undergo a couple of decades of hardship just like us. I also went through those years and I wanted my grandchildren to enjoy a prosperous and liberal future life. You've taken that away from them.

Not me, I was refused a vote, gone for more than 15 years, I think I might have voted remain but who can say.

I suggest the bitter remainers just take a look at the results map . People up and down the breadth of England voted out . It was a whitewash , from Cumbria to Dorset

I don't think you get it. For a change of this magnitude it was almost 50/50. Certainly less than half the electorate voted to leave, and much less of the population. This wasn't an election.

I suggest the bitter remainers just take a look at the results map . People up and down the breadth of England voted out . It was a whitewash , from Cumbria to Dorset

With only the Scottish making the figures look even contested. Surprised at places like Stoke though, massive leave at about 68 % and yet the average age is about 38 according to the last census. Either the young didn't turn out or they voted leave.

Oh I'm not sure that there will be any olive branchs, last I heard they want us out and no hanging about over it, won't get our 2 years even. I heard some Franco/Germanic politician talking about cutting out the gangrene this very morning.

There is a very definite split emerging with Merkel and Estern Europe being more conciliatory and France / Italy / Spain etc as you say wanting shot of us asap.

I'm jealous. What do you have to do to get a French passport?

Marry a French girl, wait a couple of years and spend 2 whole days hanging about in a drab office whilst they checked everything line by line. Oh and get a translation of my PhD certificate to prove that I wasn't a thicko. Took ages and cost 200 francs if i recall correctly. Nowadays it takes about 5 minutes and a baker's certificate or something.

With only the Scottish making the figures look even contested. Surprised at places like Stoke though, massive leave at about 68 % and yet the average age is about 38 according to the last census. Either the young didn't turn out or they voted leave.

Stoke has been a canary in a coalmine for years.

I'm jealous. What do you have to do to get a French passport?

You could probably still claim permanent right to remain by getting small house there and pretending to live there more than 50% of the time - as long as you're quick obviously.

You could probably still claim permanent right to remain by getting small house there and pretending to live there more than 50% of the time - as long as you're quick obviously.

It's 5 years normally, but anyone with income will still be welcome I believe. When I first came here we had residents permits as well, just had to have a job or a source of income and you got the card for 5 years.

Labour have completely lost the views of their people. Labour areas won this more than anything

I suppose being a white van man and proud to be English is too racist for Labour these days

I fear you may be right, in fact I'm sure you are. I'm beginning to regret the outcome of the last general election. ;)

It's 5 years normally, but anyone with income will still be welcome I believe. When I first came here we had residents permits as well, just had to have a job or a source of income and you got the card for 5 years.

Five years as an EU citizen or from outside?

Five years as an EU citizen or from outside?

After 5 years residence they can't ask you to leave whatever your origin may be because you have the right to apply for citizenship, whatever may be your origin. There was a much publicised case as couple of years back where a Kosovar family illegally resident in France for about 4 years and 8 months got slung out and the associations who love this sort of stuff tried to delay their deportation to get them into the 5 year bracket, didn't work though.

Spot on as usual.

Have been out for most of today (golf and a computer course) and have not had time to read this thread although I heard quite a lot on the radio in the car !

I voted to stay but it was a marginal choice based on media coverage etc.. however, the result was 'leave' and that is what we have to respect (the people have spoken !), no ifs, no buts, that is it !

Some of the bitter nonsense coming from the losers is totally pathetic and makes them look even more out of touch than they actually are !

True patriots will get behind the country and move on in a positive fashion, IMO nothing less is acceptable !

Five years ago £1 = €1.12. Today £1 = € 1.23

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

And it will probably creep back up to around 1.30 when people realise that nothing is going to change very much for at least 18 months. Except that we won't be expected to participate in any more bailouts of course. Just need the Spanish to suddenly go hard left and it might even go higher again.

Cutting to the chase, whilst those on here endlessly spent time researching and debating politely yet never agreeing, the Remain campaign was a nasty fear laden make it up as we go along, to frighten the people that dare to oppose them into voting to stay. Cameron and Osborn along with the gobby women on tv did as much to ensure the opposite result.

Most of the older people had lived through and experienced recession, war etc and those pillocks didn't realise that the ethnic British people were the same sort of people that faced down Germany in two world wars and felt deeply about their country. So much so that seeing the manufactured foreign influences invited by Cameron to comment on his side together with the interminable talking down of the country by the liberal left of both parties gave them the determination to do something about it.

13m didn't vote. I told of the university room cleanout after the students had left which were littered with polling cards and postal vote papers never to be used. If the remain campaign had ended up 52% to 48% there would have been no whingeing or accusations from them about democratically remaining in the EU. That is why it's inappropriate having lost, to whinge about democracy.

Get used to it, we are coming out.