EU referendum

Wade Garrett

Maybe it will be easier for the US to strike a deal with one country (whether we need it is another matter).

Its simpler, but the power imbalance is greater. Even if it were 'quick' we're still talking a year or more, probably two to three. Thats a horrendous amount of time of uncertainty, fatal for investment. Companies abhor uncertainty because it msakes business planning impossible. They'll go elsewhere.

According to Tory MEP Daniel Hannan Cameron was offered a semi detached Associate Membership but turned it down.

"Things could have been very different had the renegotiation resulted in a new settlement, one which allowed Britain to step away from the EU’s political institutions while remaining in the market. That deal was on offer, even from the most hardline Euro-federalists. Jacques Delors called it a “privileged partnership” for Britain; Guy Verhofstadt “associate membership”.

Early in the process, I urged the Prime Minister to aim for such an outcome. He was, as he usually is, both honest and charming. That wasn’t the kind of deal he wanted, he told me. If it was what I wanted, I should ensure the election of a Conservative Government, thus getting the referendum, and then vote to leave. "

http://www.conservativehome.com/thecolumnists/2016/06/daniel-hannan-today-for-once-we-can-choose-our-own-future-outside-the-eu.html

Interesting read, especially the bits about a narrow vote either way.

I'd settle for associate membership and I'd like to keep the EU flag on my driving licence and number plate and passport.

Does the result mean that he's going to lose his job as an MEP whatever happens?

Its simpler, but the power imbalance is greater. Even if it were 'quick' we're still talking a year or more, probably two to three. Thats a horrendous amount of time of uncertainty, fatal for investment. Companies abhor uncertainty because it msakes business planning impossible. They'll go elsewhere.

We don't actually have a negotiating team any more. We haven't need one for forty years or so.

Interesting read, especially the bits about a narrow vote either way.

I'd settle for associate membership and I'd like to keep the EU flag on my driving licence and number plate and passport.

Does the result mean that he's going to lose his job as an MEP whatever happens?

Exactly. some form of associate membership could have avoided all this. I imagine the MEPs will be out once we formally withdraw, although the UK commissioner stepped down today as his position was untenable.

pulling out of Europe will not get more jobs in the North East etc, surely it will make things worse. Making politicians pay is all well and good but on this occasion!!!1

Maybe more of the jobs already there might go to local people.

Who's to say they won't get more jobs anyway.

Who's to say they won't get more jobs anyway.

Seriously? We've swapped certainty for business with absolutely no idea what the future will bring. You reckon there are business CEOs who will be thinking, "I didnt want to invest when I knew what was happening but now its a leap in the dark I think its the time to risk my shareholders cash" He'd be out on his ear before the end of the board meeting.

The record shows that the UK has been a leading destination for attracting inward investment for many years now - you can trace that back at least as far as Thatcher getting the big Japanese car makers to set up shop here back in the 1980's. But why would any foreign investor choose to come to the UK now when we are in the process of retreating from the EU and there is no certainly as to what trading arrangement with that body will follow? There are afterall plenty of other places they can go without such risk.

All those people celebrating Bretix in Sunderland might have something else to think about if (Renault owned) Nissan move car assembly to France. The big banks need to have a presence in the Single Market area in order to trade freely across Europe, and while the needs of our financial services sector based in the City of London may no resonate very strongly on the housing estates of Hull or in the retirement homes of Tunbridge Wells, that activity actualy contributions significantly to the tax receipts that pay for the welfare state so many do rely on.

Some fool on here today described the 48.1% referendum minority in this disunited kingdom as the "losers"- as if the fate of our nation has been reduced to some purile computer game. The truth that this person obviously lacks the brainpower to comprehend is that we are ALL losers in this situation.

Britain lost that referendum.

The record shows that the UK has been a leading destination for attracting inward investment for many years now - you can trace that back at least as far as Thatcher getting the big Japanese car makers to set up shop here back in the 1980's. But why would any foreign investor choose to come to the UK now when we are in the process of retreating from the EU and there is no certainly as to what trading arrangement with that body will follow? There are afterall plenty of other places they can go without such risk.

All those people celebrating Bretix in Sunderland might have something else to think about if (Renault owned) Nissan move car assembly to France. The big banks need to have a presence in the Single Market area in order to trade freely across Europe, and while the needs of our financial services sector based in the City of London may no resonate very strongly on the housing estates of Hull or in the retirement homes of Tunbridge Wells, that activity actualy contributions significantly to the tax receipts that pay for the welfare state so many do rely on.

Some fool on here today described the 48.1% referendum minority in this disunited kingdom as the "losers"- as if the fate of our nation has been reduced to some purile computer game. The truth that this person obviously lacks the brainpower to comprehend is that we are ALL losers in this situation.

Britain lost that referendum.

Very well put. I think that a large part of the Leave vote was from people who live in communities that aren't involve in Europe in any form, feel poor and disadvantaged and can only see European economic migrants amongst themselves as taking their jobs and public services. They don't realise that these same services are partly paid for by the tax contributions of those who are closely involved in European trade.

Very well put. I think that a large part of the Leave vote was from people who live in communities that aren't involve in Europe in any form, feel poor and disadvantaged and can only see European economic migrants amongst themselves as taking their jobs and public services. They don't realise that these same services are partly paid for by the tax contributions of those who are closely involved in European trade.

like sunderland, hull and large parts of the North that (according to the news) benefit hugely from EU money

we'll leave the EU, become a trading partner or some sort of special member.

Access to the single market, allow migration from the EU if that person has a job to go to (no uncontrolled, unlimited immigration) and the government will pay a reduced fee for that. We will be free to implement EU rules and laws as we see fit.

everyone wins.

Edited by Batman

Anyone who doesn't think this " back of the queue " nonsense wasn't scripted by number 10 is rather naive . " Back of the line" I can accept , but having lived in America for 4 years I can not recall ever hearing anyone call it a queue .

Doesn't look scripted to me. An American addressing a British audience in Britain using a British word. Who'd have thought it possible?

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-04-22/obama-says-u-k-would-be-back-of-line-for-trade-deal-post-brexit

Doesn't look scripted to me. An American addressing a British audience in Britain using a British word. Who'd have thought it possible?

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-04-22/obama-says-u-k-would-be-back-of-line-for-trade-deal-post-brexit

Perhaps he's channeling his inner kenyan - you know the one who supposedly hates the British and views them as foreign invaders.

Anyone who doesn't think this " back of the queue " nonsense wasn't scripted by number 10 is rather naive . " Back of the line" I can accept , but having lived in America for 4 years I can not recall ever hearing anyone call it a queue .

That queue will last until November 8th. Then whomever gets in will start talks until they take office in Feb 2017. Obama only has 4 moths of the popular mandate left.

like sunderland, hull and large parts of the North that (according to the news) benefit hugely from EU money

we'll leave the EU, become a trading partner or some sort of special member.

Access to the single market, allow migration from the EU if that person has a job to go to (no uncontrolled, unlimited immigration) and the government will pay a reduced fee for that. We will be free to implement EU rules and laws as we see fit.

everyone wins.

Sounds about right. The fact is that the vast majority of MPs are pro EU so any Brexit is going to be watered down to an extent that it is not even noticeable.

That queue will last until November 8th. Then whomever gets in will start talks until they take office in Feb 2017. Obama only has 4 moths of the popular mandate left.

No it won't.

The UKIP freaks may think Obama's poliicy position is somehow colonially and racially inspired. But he is simply expressing national self-interest as its been understood by the US establishment for decades. The US has bigger fish to fry and bigger trade prizes on the table than a UK deal and that won't change with the new president.

One wildcard perhaps is the election of Trump, though he'll likely be preoccupied with dismantling TPP and gunning for the Chinese, Mexicans and every other alleged trade violator. Of course even if a deal with the UK was prioritised it would be akin to rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic due to the cluster**** a Trump presidency would likely usher in.

Edited by shurlock

No it won't.

Some may think Obama is driving policy with the UKIP freaks insinuating his position is somehow colonially and racially inspired. Nonsense. Obama is simply expressing national self-interest as its been conducted by the US establishment for decades. The US has bigger fish to fry and bigger trade prizes on the table than a UK deal and that won't change with the new president.

One wildcard perhaps is the election of Trump, though he'll likely be preoccupied with dismantling TPP and gunning for the Chinese, Mexicans etc. Of course even if a deal with the UK was prioritised it would be akin to rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic due to the cluster**** a Trump presidency would likely usher in.

I don't think anything of the sort.

TTIP on the other hand, to partner TTP was a priority for Obama, and as this suffered a setback, he can afford to put the UK on the backburner for 4 months as he is out anyway, and not be seen to reward those who go against him. The U.S. is the U.K.'s most important trading partner - importing just over $56 billion in goods a year. A fifth of the goods that the U.S. exports to the EU go to the U.K., and, in 2014, there was almost $588 billion in U.S. foreign direct investment in the country. If you think the Senate and congress won't press whomever takes office from their own state's point of view for exports, I think you'd be wrong. Hell, the US tried to get us involved in the North American Free Trade Agreement back in the 90's and 2000's as an alternative to further EU integration.

Of course, that all changes if the Article 50 nuclear button is pushed prematurely.

I don't think anything of the sort.

TTIP on the other hand, to partner TTP was a priority for Obama, and as this suffered a setback, he can afford to put the UK on the backburner for 4 months as he is out anyway, and not be seen to reward those who go against him. The U.S. is the U.K.'s most important trading partner - importing just over $56 billion in goods a year. A fifth of the goods that the U.S. exports to the EU go to the U.K., and, in 2014, there was almost $588 billion in U.S. foreign direct investment in the country. If you think the Senate and congress won't press whomever takes office from their own state's point of view for exports, I think you'd be wrong. Hell, the US tried to get us involved in the North American Free Trade Agreement back in the 90's and 2000's as an alternative to further EU integration.

Of course, that all changes if the Article 50 nuclear button is pushed prematurely.

That's of less interest to the US than it is to the UK. Your numbers are also way off:

https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/statistics/highlights/toppartners.html

This is not t say that the UK is not an important trading partner. Far from it. But TTIP, TTP as well as global initiatives on services are massive ambitious projects that any new president will inherit and are unlikely be set aside to prioritise a deal with the UK.

Edited by shurlock

That's of less interest to the US than it is to the UK. Your numbers are also way off:

This is not t say that the UK is not an important trading partner. Far from it. But TTIP, TTP as well as global initiatives on services are massive ambitious projects that any new president will inherit and are unlikely be set aside to prioritise a deal with the UK.

I reckon they might have more than one person working on these things so could do two things at the same time, possibly more.

Sometimes it's possible to do things concurrently.

Mr Hannan's statements on Newsnight were seen as the latest apparent, or alleged, U-turn by the Leave campaign. Nigel Farage has already disowned the pledge by the official Leave campaign to spend £350m a week previously given to the European Union on the NHS – even though much of that was spent in the UK.

Follow

twitterpic_normal.jpg
mary beard
@wmarybeard

All this beggars belief. D Hannan now admits UK may accept free movement of labour with EU to get trade deal. Isnt that what Remain said?!

Mr Davis responded with visible exasperation to Mr Hannan’s assertion that free movement of Labour would need to continue.

“I’m sorry we’ve just been through three months of agony on the issue of immigration and the public have been led to believe that what they have voted for is an end to free movement," he said.At one point Mr Davis put his head in his hands. “Why didn’t you say in the campaign that you were wanting a system where we had free movement of labour?" he said.......

Didn't DC say that if there was a vote to leave he would be obliged to invoke Article 50 immediately ?

Also, legally the referendum was a non-binding advisory process, as referenda are in this country - only the PR vote had clauses making it enforceable.

But do they know that?

Clearly not. The BBC news team were interviewing people at the Moor market here in Sheffield earlier today. One woman talked about losing the steel industry in the 80s and needing to get something back so she voted out. FFS - the north will be well and truly shafted when we lose out on all the EU subsidies we used to get and have to rely on a Tory government (who were responsible for decimating the industries the north used to have in the first place) to bail us out.

I'm trying to remain gracious about this and accept the will of the democratic process and all that, but seriously, the level of ignorance and outright stupidity I have seen come from the mouths of working class leave voters over the last 24 hours is sickening. They have all cut off their noses to spite their faces, and everybody loses as a result.

Edited by Sheaf Saint

Clearly not. The BBC news team were interviewing people at the Moor market here in Sheffield earlier today. One woman talked about losing the steel industry in the 80s and needing to get something back so she voted out. FFS - the north will be well and truly shafted when we lose out on all the EU subsidies we used to get and have to rely on a Tory government (who were responsible for decimating the industries the north used to have) to bail us out.

I'm trying to remain gracious about this and accept the will of the democratic process and all that, but seriously, the level of ignorance and outright stupidity I have seen come from the mouths of working class leave voters over the last 24 hours is sickening. They have all cut off their noses to spite their faces, and everybody loses as a result.

A referendum was offered to the people of this democratic country and the country voted, leave won.......what's your problem?

Wonder who they'll blame ?

A referendum was offered to the people of this democratic country and the country voted, leave won.......what's your problem?

My problem is that huge numbers of those people had not the slightest idea exactly what they were voting for, what the actual benefits of membership are and what the consequences of leaving will be. Ignorant, politically illiterate f*cktards, who swallowed all the propaganda about stopping immigration and spending the £350m a week on the NHS, have steered us into economic disaster and we all lose.

But hey, as long as 'we got our country back' and we can start buying bent bananas again, everything is rosy eh?

My problem is that huge numbers of those people had not the slightest idea exactly what they were voting for, what the actual benefits of membership are and what the consequences of leaving will be. Ignorant, politically illiterate f*cktards, who swallowed all the propaganda about stopping immigration and spending the £350m a week on the NHS, have steered us into economic disaster and we all lose.

But hey, as long as 'we got our country back' and we can start buying bent bananas again, everything is rosy eh?

and you know this how?

how many is huge?

you got off that fence in the end, it seems

Yep. What did it was realising that although there were good arguments for leaving it was only the fu cktards who were supporting leave and that there was no talent capable of making it work.

and you know this how?

how many is huge?

Because I have been taking the time to read as much comment as I possibly can on social media over the last month or so, trying to gauge the consensus of why people would be voting the way they did.

Not once have I seen anybody put forward a coherent economic argument in favour of leaving.

I saw most passionate and vocal leave supporters were all spouting pretty much the same old ill-informed nonsense about us having no sovereignty and having to bow to every one of the EU's demands; trying to make out like we are nothing but slaves to an evil fascist dictatorship and completely ignorant of the actual facts of how the EU is run.

I saw soooo many blatantly racist and bigoted comments - "Them bloody immigrants coming over 'ere and stealing our jobs", again completely oblivious to the fact that we will still be forced to accept free movement of its citizens if we want to benefit from a free trade agreement with the EU (that we will still have to pay a huge membership fee for, but have no say in how the organisation is run).

I saw comment after comment after comment from people who believed the £350m a week figure, while completely ignoring anything we actually get in return and being totally unaware of the regional subsidies that will dry up as soon as we leave.

‘I feel horrible. I didn’t realise so many people my age thought it was a bad idea. I thought change would be fun, now the pound is dropping I really regret it! ‘I hesitated for about a minute at the polling station and wasn’t sure at all on what to vote. My friend voted remain so I just thought they’ll counteract.’

The 19-year-old admitted that his vote was ‘definitely not informed’.

Instead, he says, ‘I feel sick and wish we remained. I hate myself.’

Some of the things he told us he was hoping would come from Brexit would be ‘cheaper fuel, alcohol and less of the Calais drama.’

But after seeing a clip of Nigel Farage this morning, he’s been questioning his decision.

The college student said: ‘I want a revote so I can vote remain, I wish facts were clearer before I messed up my vote.

‘Should have been made to watch like a five minute facts video for both sides at the polling station to be honest.’

Daniel Roche says he feels ‘lied to and deceived’.

He told Metro.co.uk: ‘We were lead to believe that most of the money not spent on the EU was going to go on the NHS.

‘Now people like Farage have claimed that is not the case.’

If he could, he says he would vote Remain now.

Not gunna lie I strongly regret voting to leave the eu. — Amy Loscombe (@Amy_BornThisWay) June 24, 2016

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/24/people-are-already-regretting-voting-to-leave-the-eu-heres-what-they-told-us-5965067/

Because I have been taking the time to read as much comment as I possibly can on social media over the last month or so, trying to gauge the consensus of why people would be voting the way they did.

Not once have I seen anybody put forward a coherent economic argument in favour of leaving.

I saw most passionate and vocal leave supporters were all spouting pretty much the same old ill-informed nonsense about us having no sovereignty and having to bow to every one of the EU's demands; trying to make out like we are nothing but slaves to an evil fascist dictatorship and completely ignorant of the actual facts of how the EU is run.

I saw soooo many blatantly racist and bigoted comments - "Them bloody immigrants coming over 'ere and stealing our jobs", again completely oblivious to the fact that we will still be forced to accept free movement of its citizens if we want to benefit from a free trade agreement with the EU (that we will still have to pay a huge membership fee for, but have no say in how the organisation is run).

I saw comment after comment after comment from people who believed the £350m a week figure, while completely ignoring anything we actually get in return and being totally unaware of the regional subsidies that will dry up as soon as we leave.

So why were the likes of James Dyson campaigning to leave?

as many lies were peddled by the other side too.

still awaiting that big bad emergency budget that would be put in place pretty sharpish if we voted to leave. where the hell is it?

heard plenty of plebs terrified because they think their Polish friend will be deported now or that they wont be able to go on holiday to Spain in the summer etc

democracy at work in the UK that we very rarely see. plenty of plebs on both sides, But VoteLeave won.

Was the decision on the UK's membership of the EU too big/complicated/confusing to be put in the hands of the British public in the first place?

No, but with all the lies and deception put out by both sides and papers like the Mail and Express, it needed a fair bit of digging to find out any reliable data.

The Independant's sister paper, The i, adopted a strictly neutral stance and did a good job of trying to present the facts behind the various issues as well as having contributions from both sides.

Was the decision on the UK's membership of the EU too big/complicated/confusing to be put in the hands of the British public in the first place?

No - but there should have been some kind of 'honest, decent and true' standards applied to the campaign. We're going to end up like Norway - if we're lucky and they are magnanimous - everything the same except we dont get a vote.

No, but with all the lies and deception put out by both sides and papers like the Mail and Express, it needed a fair bit of digging to find out any reliable data.

The Independant's sister paper, The i, adopted a strictly neutral stance and did a good job of trying to present the facts behind the various issues as well as having contributions from both sides.

I think one of the main reasons for the different results in London and Scotland is the media. Both have different and much less biased media. In the London the ES and Metro are the major papers, run by the guy who runs the Indie and in Scotland the Daily Record and Scottish versions of nationals have totally different editorial lines.

as many lies were peddled by the other side too.

Yes, there were, I agree. The main players were just as bad as each other at spreading fear and mis-information. Just like in any general election really.

But plenty of us were able to see through that and look for our own independent sources of information, rather than blindly accepting the rhetoric put forward by proven liars. And that's kind of my point. Most Remain supporters appeared to be able to recognise the positive benefits of remaining without relying on the propaganda, whereas an awful lot of leave supporters lapped it up.

Yes, there were, I agree. The main players were just as bad as each other at spreading fear and mis-information. Just like in any general election really.

But plenty of us were able to see through that and look for our own independent sources of information, rather than blindly accepting the rhetoric put forward by proven liars. And that's kind of my point. Most Remain supporters appeared to be able to recognise the positive benefits of remaining without relying on the propaganda, whereas an awful lot of leave supporters lapped it up.

more thicko's voted to leave, just say it