EU referendum

Wade Garrett

Get used to it folks we are coming out. If the politicians attempt to get out of implementing the result of the referendum it will destroy the Labour and Conservative parties and most of the MPs will lose their seats. There will be a constitutional crisis and Labour and Conservative will lose the best part of 13m votes enough to royally screw them and turn UKIP into the biggest party. Cameron is irrelevant and much as the left would like it to be a problem it will make no difference. Leave means Leave, all the mealy mouthed non acceptance that Leave was the result is just the inability of the self important so called intelligent people to accept the result. A vote the other way would have been presented as a clear mandate by the left and in this they would be right.

What if Boris (or whoever) doesn't trigger Article 50 but recommends we stay under new concessions? Especially if he then calls a second referendum years down the line, and gets the 2% (or so) swing needed to return a 'remain' vote from the population?

(not my views or hopes, but just a theoretical Q)

Get used to it folks we are coming out. If the politicians attempt to get out of implementing the result of the referendum it will destroy the Labour and Conservative parties and most of the MPs will lose their seats. There will be a constitutional crisis and Labour and Conservative will lose the best part of 13m votes enough to royally screw them and turn UKIP into the biggest party. Cameron is irrelevant and much as the left would like it to be a problem it will make no difference. Leave means Leave, all the mealy mouthed non acceptance that Leave was the result is just the inability of the self important so called intelligent people to accept the result. A vote the other way would have been presented as a clear mandate by the left and in this they would be right.

How I see it.

The Guardian comment is fanciful at best.

I think you need to start accepting that the most mealy mouthed stuff will be coming from Boris and the leading leaving lights.

Wee Nicki now seems to be suggesting that Scotland can veto any decision for the UK to leave the EU. That'll be interesting!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

it wont happen. the government will act upon the result of the referendum

there was a low-ish turnout in scotland, over 1 million up there voted to leave. 25% more people voted to remain part of the UK in 2014 compared to those who voted to remain part of the EU.

she is doing nothing more than angling for another Scottish referendum. It has been obvious during this whole campaign (from her lot)

Way off. Any Conservative leader who triggers article 50 will only be able to rely on a fraction of a fraction of the electorate - and will be unelectable. Conservative supporters are only around 40% of the electorate and of that 40% 42% voted to remain - so only c23% of the electorate can be counted on to vote for them. To win an election they'd need to attract another 20% from other parties. It isnt going to happen. It will be fudged. Leavers wont get what they wanted, in fact next to nothing, but we will still have lost growth and credibility. congrats.

it wont happen. the government will act upon the result of the referendum

there was a low-ish turnout in scotland, over 1 million up there voted to leave. 25% more people voted to remain part of the UK in 2014 compared to those who voted to remain part of the EU.

she is doing nothing more than angling for another Scottish referendum. It has been obvious during this whole campaign (from her lot)

It's not a question about whether Scotland remain part of the UK though is it. It's about whether the UK remains part of the EU. As you say, the majority voted to stay part of the UK in 2014 and now 62% have voted to remain in the EU. By vetoing the UK leaving the EU, then she's doing just what the Scottish people have voted for isn't she, staying in the UK and the EU, and isn't that her job?

It's not a question about whether Scotland remain part of the UK though is it. It's about whether the UK remains part of the EU. As you say, the majority voted to stay part of the UK in 2014 and now 62% have voted to remain in the EU. By vetoing the UK leaving the EU, then she's doing just what the Scottish people have voted for isn't she, staying in the UK and the EU, and isn't that her job?

she knows it wont happen

she is positioning herself (and scotland) to be in a place where they are told to f-off by the rest of the UK. Which she believes will strengthen her bid for a successful referendum.

she desperately wants away from the UK and she has to play it right. She is all over this brexit result to further that cause, nothing else

wont be long before rumblings of scotland just going ahead and declaring independence without another vote. Of course, she will publicly distance herself from that but it will be out there. 'material state has changed' and all that

Edited by Batman

seems yoof turnout (18-24 year olds) was a whopping 36%...

So while 75% of the 36% voted to remain. of taking all 18-24 yr olds: 27% voted remain, 9% voted leave, 64% didn't bother doing anything.

but its seems the yoof are vitriolic against older people who decide to exercise their democratic rights, apparently.

So while 75% of the 36% voted to remain. of taking all 18-24 yr olds: 27% voted remain, 9% voted leave, 64% didn't bother doing anything.

but its seems the yoof are vitriolic against older people who decide to exercise their democratic rights, apparently.

Maybe they'll learn from this not to take anything for granted.

Only got themselves to blame, lazy ****ers.

I wonder how many of them registered to vote when the deadline was extended?

could have been a lot worse for them, maybe

They only did that because they could do it online. If they had to walk down their local village hall and actually talk to someone I expect they wouldn't have bothered.

Can't see that they can choose 'any' currency as the Pound is highly unlikely and the Euro would only be possible if they were to be welcomed back into the EU, that would only realistically leave a new stand alone Scottish currency which is fraught with risk and would be difficult to sell the idea to the people IMO !

I do agree that the union looks a lot weaker today but remain optimistic that things can be worked out over time !

I spoke to my brother in Glasgow yesterday and he is of the impression that there is no appetite for yet another referendum at this time !

Ps. Nothing personal Whitey, just taking part in the forum debate !

No worries, no offence taken. There are plenty of countries whose currencies shadow others so it is not impossible but would take a strong banking system. I regard all the present talk as jostling for position and influence but the threat is always there.

As some of you seem to think that Scotland is a factor in the upcoming new challenges, consider this scenario :

Ruth Davidson, the popular leader of the Scottish Tories and one of the top performers in the referendum campaign (I accept that she had feck all competition!) becomes party leader !

She is young (37), female (lesbian too, which probably also helps) with bags of energy and extremely articulate. Could she be the one to unite not only the Conservative party but also keep Scotland as part of the union ??

I realise that she was a remainer but if she were to get a strong team around her from both the in and out camps, you never know ?

I have not read this anywhere, it is purely conjecture born in my own little mind but surely stranger things have happened in history ??

she knows it wont happen

she is positioning herself (and scotland) to be in a place where they are told to f-off by the rest of the UK. Which she believes will strengthen her bid for a successful referendum.

she desperately wants away from the UK and she has to play it right. She is all over this brexit result to further that cause, nothing else

wont be long before rumblings of scotland just going ahead and declaring independence without another vote. Of course, she will publicly distance herself from that but it will be out there. 'material state has changed' and all that

What's to stop the Scots holding their own referendum without Westminster's permission? Imagine what would happen if London said no.

What's to stop the Scots holding their own referendum without Westminster's permission? Imagine what would happen if London said no.

Why? What is the incentive? At the very very best, if they won every hugely risky gamble on the way, they would get to line up behind Bosnia and Macedonia in the queue to join the EU?

It isn't going to happen. It's just posturing. Sturgeon is not one of the influential players to watch over the next 12 months. But she'll continue to get a lot of airtime on the BBC.

They won't, and they won't win one. The complicating factors around currency, borders and the small matter of a huge chunk of the electorate thinking they are sick of referendums(da).

Krankie bleating on about it gives Ruth Davison a golden opportunity to portray the SNP as a single issue party with no perspective. Might just be a Tory dream in Scotland - the SNP won't be in power forever.

Got to laugh at the 3 million losers who've signed the online petition for a second vote. Evidently it states that any vote under 60% and a turnout of less than 75% should void the vote. Now I maybe a thick leave voter but I'd have thought these highly intelligent Remain progressives would have been better of campaigning for this before the vote. Surely the time to do it was when the referendum bill was going through the Commons and the rules were set. I guess they thought they'd win .

Is Boris on a hunt or something today? Thought he might have popped up here or there with a statement or two. Churchill he ain't.

He's been snookered by Cameron and literally has no idea what to do next - that's why he's so quiet. The whole thing is an unnecessary shambles. No one's coming out of this looking good.

He's been snookered by Cameron and literally has no idea what to do next - that's why he's so quiet. The whole thing is an unnecessary shambles. No one's coming out of this looking good.

Rubbish, he's been on the phone. Theres over 300 mps that have to be sounded before the leadership contest.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Rubbish, he's been on the phone. Theres over 300 mps that have to be sounded before the leadership contest.

He's probably holed up with Michael Gove saying "What the f*ck do we do now?"

She is young (37), female (lesbian too, which probably also helps) with bags of energy and extremely articulate. Could she be the one to unite not only the Conservative party but also keep Scotland as part of the union ??

A Tory lesbian Prime Minister?

All the old retired Colonels in Tunbridge Wells would have apoplexy.

Got to laugh at the 3 million losers who've signed the online petition for a second vote. Evidently it states that any vote under 60% and a turnout of less than 75% should void the vote. Now I maybe a thick leave voter but I'd have thought these highly intelligent Remain progressives would have been better of campaigning for this before the vote. Surely the time to do it was when the referendum bill was going through the Commons and the rules were set. I guess they thought they'd win .

Well, just to soothe the poor little darlings, perhaps they can pass a law to that affect for future referenda, so that there will have to be a 60% vote for us to rejoin the EU. They'll surely be content with that.

As some of you seem to think that Scotland is a factor in the upcoming new challenges, consider this scenario :

Ruth Davidson, the popular leader of the Scottish Tories and one of the top performers in the referendum campaign (I accept that she had feck all competition!) becomes party leader !

I realise that she was a remainer but if she were to get a strong team around her from both the in and out camps, you never know ?

I have not read this anywhere, it is purely conjecture born in my own little mind but surely stranger things have happened in history ??

They've been quietly angling her up for a top job for years now

It seems that if emerging reports are true, this second referendum petition is a 4Chan prank, which the Beeb has swallowed hook line and sinker.

I think prank is the wrong word. Its definitely been enhanced by the script kiddies but some have legitimately signed it.

That's just no way of telling how many.

Anyone on the planet with an internet connection can sign the petition if you know a UK postcode. https://twitter.com/cbfortescue/status/746721789011722240

Now it's being investigated for fraud

Some of the comments on there aimed at the 'oldies' for 'ruining' the lives of the youth are pretty disgusting tbh (some of which are echoed on this site sadly) Especially when there's no mention of why the huge majority of that age group didn't even bother to vote in the first place. Infact i've not seen anyone discussing why such huge numbers didn't vote anywhere in the media. Which is odd in my opinion. (not really).

The petition was set up in May apparently, not that many people knew about it.

Why? What is the incentive? At the very very best, if they won every hugely risky gamble on the way, they would get to line up behind Bosnia and Macedonia in the queue to join the EU?

It isn't going to happen. It's just posturing. Sturgeon is not one of the influential players to watch over the next 12 months. But she'll continue to get a lot of airtime on the BBC.

The situation regarding EU membership is unclear to say the least. Previously they would have left the UK and would have had to apply as a new state. At the moment they are part of the UK and if there was separation it could be argued that they are already a member and that it was England etc that were leaving. Nobody knows but you can bet your boots that discreet enquiries will be taking place at the moment.

In any case EU membership is just the trigger for their ambitions. This will be seen as yet another case of England telling them what to do.

It was set up by a leave supporter, because he felt that it was inevitable that remain would win. Basically it has been highjacked by remainers.

Before the vote it had 22 signatories.

Makes sense pal. In the same way Farage was alleging fraud and throwing his toys out of the pram minutes after polling stations had closed.

One consolation of a leave win is that we've, at least, been spared the tawdry conspiracy theories, fingerpointing and hysteria that UKIP and allies revel in that make remain's reaction look positively civil and British.

Edited by shurlock

Your faith is touching. Seems like he might be sitting in a dark room with a blank piece of paper wondering what the **** to do now:

http://news.sky.com/video/1717859/islam-there-is-no-brexit-plan

I take your left wing former observer writer and raise you with radio presenter of the year.

http://www.iaindale.com/posts/2016/06/26/exclusive-boris-aims-to-sign-up-150-mps-to-blow-rivals-out-of-the-water

Surely if a PM calls a refurendum he should have a plan for each possible outcome?

**** me, what a mess.

He had a plan. Resign and let the leavers get on with it. Friday morning he did what I thought he would do and what I wanted him to do.

Pretty laughable now to learn that when the Leave team were telling us that everything would be fine were basically implying that everything would be fine because the person we've been calling a scaremongering liar is going to sort it all out for us. We hope. Because we haven't got a clue.

Surely if a PM calls a refurendum he should have a plan for each possible outcome?

**** me, what a mess.

Well I think his plan was not to lose actually. When the referendum was promised I don't think many senior politicians actually envisaged there being a no vote. I am still not convinced that the UK will actually leave the EU, depends on the actual process I think, could be that it's not adopted by Parliament.