EU referendum

Wade Garrett

We've had a grand total of one fixed term parliament. One. It's hardly an established way of working.

If PM Boris calls one, we'll have one.

It's nothing to do with established way of working , its the law of the land .

The fixed term parliament act means that the only way to dissolve parliament is if 2/3rds of mps vote to do so.

The fixed term parliament act means that the only way to dissolve parliament is if 2/3rds of mps vote to do so.

And they will.

Labour won't if it's in disarray, the Tories won't if they're not. There aren't many times in a political cycle when both parties want an election at the same time.

If Boris calls one the Labour party will not be allowed to bottle it. Even they're not that stupid. What do you think their coup is about? Threat of early election.

Labour won't if it's in disarray, the Tories won't if they're not. There aren't many times in a political cycle when both parties want an election at the same time.

The parliamentary Labour Party want to change the leader, if he wont go voluntarily a General Election will certainly see his demise. Conversely there may well be many who are not prepared to risk their seats for their principles. My judgement is they will go for a General Election it will also delay Article 50.

So the key planks of the Brexit Camping are slowly unravelling; the NHS wont get £350m extra a week, we cant get immigration down to 10,000s, free movement will remain if want access to the single market, and while the sun might still be shining the pound is being hammered, energy costs are rising, the stock market is falling (great for pensions!) our credit rating is downgraded, and our political leadership is in chaos, xenophobia appears to be on the rise, constituent parts of the United Kingdom are planning rebellions. But hey ho its all a price worth paying, we wont be in the EU.

So the key planks of the Brexit Camping are slowly unravelling; the NHS wont get £350m extra a week, we cant get immigration down to 10,000s, free movement will remain if want access to the single market, and while the sun might still be shining the pound is being hammered, energy costs are rising, the stock market is falling (great for pensions!) our credit rating is downgraded, and our political leadership is in chaos, xenophobia appears to be on the rise, constituent parts of the United Kingdom are planning rebellions. But hey ho its all a price worth paying, we wont be in the EU.

One of the ironies is that if we do end up with the Norway model - despite the leavers telling us it would never happen - we will be more in hock to the EU than before. Not only do they not get a vote, but they have to be in Schengen as well.

FTSE 100/250, GBP/USD, GBP/EUR all appear to be stabilising this morning - let's hope that's the end of the falls (for a while at least).

It's where we are after two years that matters. I can't see us anywhere other than somewhere between where we are now and 10 to 15% lower.

Think it's France ... only due to the dip in the relative value of Sterling. I vaguely remember we overtook France once before due to Sterling appreciating.

No, the PIB of the State of California passed that of France a while back. So if we're now behind France we're technically the 7th PIB instead of the 5th before last Thursday.

So, we haven't got control back ? What bits that Brexiters think they voted for won't happen ?

Yes we have got control back

MP Nigel Evans has admitted immigration will not fall significantly as a result of Brexit, claiming the referendum result only means “control” rather than a reduction in numbers.

The Conservative MP told BBC Radio 5 live there had been “some misunderstanding” about the consequences of Brexit on immigration.

When asked to say if migration to the UK would fall significantly now the country was leaving the EU, Mr Evans answered: “No."

That will please many no doubt

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-immigration-uk-nigel-evans-eu-referendum-latest-news-what-will-happen-migrants-a7104021.html

Yes we have got control back

MP Nigel Evans has admitted immigration will not fall significantly as a result of Brexit, claiming the referendum result only means “control” rather than a reduction in numbers.

The Conservative MP told BBC Radio 5 live there had been “some misunderstanding” about the consequences of Brexit on immigration.

When asked to say if migration to the UK would fall significantly now the country was leaving the EU, Mr Evans answered: “No."

That will please many no doubt

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-immigration-uk-nigel-evans-eu-referendum-latest-news-what-will-happen-migrants-a7104021.html

Isn't the idea about control

UKIP can continue to hoover up voters where immigration is the big issue and force the narrative

Watch labour start talking tough on immigration from now on

UKIP can continue to hoover up voters where immigration is the big issue and force the narrative

I fear that talking tough will no longer carry much weight with the voting populace. They seem to want doing tough.

In other news the EU seems to be demanding an immediate activation of Article 50, just as I said yesterday, the "Go ahead punk, make my day" brigade are on the up just now.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I didn't realise the UK had no say in the number of non-EU migrants that came to the UK.

Surely it matters all the time...

Yes it does but a couple of days or even a few weeks are not an indication of what the situation will be further down the road. However they are a sign that the great powers are not happy with what has happened. The trouble is that once you fall behind you can never catch up.

What I meant was that economically the judgment will come further down the line but I can see nothing positive about our situation and for me the prospect varies from bad to awful to disastrous.

Going to shops and stuff takes money, and a lot of my compatriots have very little of that. What they have they like to keep as well. Even people with enough money spend their time in those tacky hard discount places like Netto and Dia.

What's the average salary in the UK £30,000 a year or so ? That's the income here of probably the upper echelons of the middle class, I think a recent survey showed that 14% of the populace have about 700 or 800 £ a month or less. Minimum wage which many get is about 800£ a month after charges.

There is no student loan system to speak of, parents who encourage higher studies pay for it , we have a doctorate and a masters degree from the US for ours, it must have cost us somewhere in the region of 100000 £ I suppose.

So even the well off aren't well off if the kids go on to higher education. Tax relief on all of that was just laughable really.

In the unlikely event of a referendum on Frexit, do you think there is a disconnect between inhabitants of Paris and the rest of the country (such as exists between the elite in London and the rest of England)?

There is another way:

The Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011 provides for general elections to be held on the first Thursday in May every five years.'

However, there are two provisions that trigger an election other than at five year intervals:

a motion of no confidence is passed in Her Majesty's Government by a simple majority and 14 days elapses without the House passing a confidence motion in any new Government formed

a motion for a general election is agreed by two thirds of the total number of seats in the Commons including vacant seats (currently 434 out of 650)'

http://www.parliament.uk/about/how/elections-and-voting/general/

Hah, I see the Spanish are going to veto any separate Scotland discussions because they don't want the Catalans getting any ideas.

That won't stop the Scots going. Just being told once again what to do by England will be enough.

On another note (other cartoons and points of view are available):

ClkJkppWgAAcpB6.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36659900

"

European Union leaders have warned that the UK must honour the principle of free movement of people if it wants to retain access to the single market after it leaves the bloc.

European Council President Donald Tusk said the UK could not pick and choose.

The French and German leaders also made clear that the freedom of movement of EU citizens was non-negotiable."

"

European Union leaders have warned that the UK must honour the principle of free movement of people if it wants to retain access to the single market after it leaves the bloc.

The French and German leaders also made clear that the freedom of movement of EU citizens was non-negotiable."

We'll see what they're saying when we heavily tax the German cars and French cheese Imports! ;)

"

They are bound to say that ahead of two years of negotiations, they are not exactly going to say 'yes, the UK will probably get what they want' are they? All politicians are full of ****.

"

Canada has access to the single market, is there free movement of Canadians into the Eu ?

Canada has access to the single market, is there free movement of Canadians into the Eu ?

just read online that the French are now open to the idea of Control of borders and access the single market for the UK.

obviously, that will be dismissed by the sour grapes on here

The CETA trade deal does indeed allow Canada some access to the EU Single Market - but in a more restricted way compared to full EU membership. Like all arrangments of this type it does NOT include financial services. So Canadian banks seeking to trade in the European Union with need to set up in the EU to acquire the vital "passport".

Comparing Canada's situation with ours is not very useful as the UK's financial services sector is obviously a far more significant aspect of our economy. Further, immigration between Canada and Europe is not much of a issue (at this time) whereas immigration between the EU and the UK is very much a issue is it not?

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

Limited access only, there are tariffs for certain goods, loads of exceptions and regulations and there are no financial services passport.

There will be lengthy negotiations and CETA maybe a starting point but will not be any good for us.

For balance, could you also post the one where Scotland is telling the UK they don't want to be part of a political union but then tells the EU that they do? Cheers :)

Except they told the uk they did want to be part of a union, with their own referendum. They don't want to be isolated against their will and thrown out of a union, so the cartoon is pretty accurate.

We'll see what they're saying when we heavily tax the German cars and French cheese Imports! ;)
Yep that'll do the job. Make the products dearer for our own people and at the same time all the Jags, Bentleys, Range Rovers, Hondas, etc etc will be taxed to the hilt so that many of the companies relocate into Europe

For balance, could you also post the one where Scotland is telling the UK they don't want to be part of a political union but then tells the EU that they do? Cheers :)

I did mention in the preceding post that other cartoons were available. It's just that I couldn't find the one that you're looking for. Scotland wants to decide matters for itself. There's an enormous difference between the Union of the UK and membership of the EU, as you well know. The EU is not a political union in any shape or form.

In any case, why should I try to achieve a balance? It's thinking like that that's got Britain into this almighty mess.

just read online that the French are now open to the idea of Control of borders and access the single market for the UK.

Depends on who wins the right wing nomination for next years presidential election I expect.

Old man Juppé is favourite just now but that may change in the 6 months or so before the primary starts.

The Finance Minister of one country out of 27 has said its something that it might be possible to discuss. The leaders of the 27 have dismissed it. But yep, its all going Brexit's way.

I did mention in the preceding post that other cartoons were available. It's just that I couldn't find the one that you're looking for. Scotland wants to decide matters for itself. There's an enormous difference between the Union of the UK and membership of the EU, as you well know. The EU is not a political union in any shape or form.

In any case, why should I try to achieve a balance? It's thinking like that that's got Britain into this almighty mess.

:lol: :mcinnes:

The CETA trade deal does indeed allow Canada some access to the EU Single Market - but in a more restricted way compared to full EU membership. Like all arrangments of this type it does NOT include financial services. So Canadian banks seeking to trade in the European Union with need to set up in the EU to acquire the vital "passport".

Comparing Canada's situation with ours is not very useful as the UK's financial services sector is obviously a far more significant aspect of our economy. Further, immigration between Canada and Europe is not much of a issue (at this time) whereas immigration between the EU and the UK is very much a issue is it not?

God I don't know how many times people need telling . There is no single market in services.