EU referendum

Wade Garrett

Not normally a telegraph reader, but this is a detailed and well informed description of the current situation, and what may occur over the next few years. Let's hope it's wrong.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/26/the-eu-will-treat-britain-like-greece/

Not very hopeful is it. Let's just dismiss it as part of Project Fear and hope for the best shall we.

Well I think his plan was not to lose actually. When the referendum was promised I don't think many senior politicians actually envisaged there being a no vote. I am still not convinced that the UK will actually leave the EU, depends on the actual process I think, could be that it's not adopted by Parliament.

It will be adopted. It's time to move on. Am not a fan of the petition for a second referendum for exactly that reason.

The leave camp has shat the bed; it now has to lie in it. It claimed to have a plan and that things would be OK while delivering on multiple, mutually conflicting promises. Time for leave to put its money where it's mouth is and show some real statesmanship.

It will be adopted. It's time to move on. Am not a fan of the petition for a second referendum for exactly that reason.

The leave camp has shat the bed; it now has to lie in it. It claimed to have a plan and that things would be OK while delivering on multiple, mutually conflicting promises. Time for leave to put its money where it's mouth is and show some real statesmanship.

So, despite voting remain you'd rather the leave process continues and Boris and co suffer rather than the decision not be adopted?

So, despite voting remain you'd rather the leave process continues and Boris and co suffer rather than the decision not be adopted?

Because it would be a slap in the face of democracy and would sour British public life for generations. However much I might wish, the genie can't be put back in the bottle.

Sturgeon is chief minister by consensus as leader of a minority party as there is no party with a majority, The Scottish Parliament doesn't have the power to veto. It has devolved powers from the UK parliament which I suppose could be withdrawn and power returned to Westminster as happened with NI in the past.

I suspect the Leave politicians are having a weekend off for a change. I think Labour have their own problems and the Conservatives are busily plotting to put forward a bunch of no hopers to be weeded out. I think Cameron jumped before he was pushed, he missed many tricks but he could see the writing on the wall. As for Ruth Davison as leader, don't make me laugh.

Not very hopeful is it. Let's just dismiss it as part of Project Fear and hope for the best shall we.

No-one dismisses anything, just disagrees. "What will happen" as we're told repeatedly is actually usually the worst case scenario. Which of course, COULD happen. Lets work together and make sure it doesn't, shall we?

It we still end up leaving the EU, surely you would rather be wrong than right?

I know it takes a lot to get used to after three months of cocksure arrogance that the remain result was in the bag, it is going to happen. The referendum result will stand and the UK will leave the EU, but it will be the Leave politicians that will do the negotiations. There is no way that the remain supporters could be allowed to negotiate especially with Cameron's feeble effort as an example. In the end after two years if there is still no agreement we are out anyway.

Too late for that. It was 17 million votes to 16 million in case you hadn't noticed. This is going to rumble on for a loooong time.

Only the usual minority, the rest of us have lives to get on with.

Sturgeon is chief minister by consensus as leader of a minority party as there is no party with a majority, The Scottish Parliament doesn't have the power to veto. It has devolved powers from the UK parliament which I suppose could be withdrawn and power returned to Westminster as happened with NI in the past.

I suspect the Leave politicians are having a weekend off for a change. I think Labour have their own problems and the Conservatives are busily plotting to put forward a bunch of no hopers to be weeded out. I think Cameron jumped before he was pushed, he missed many tricks but he could see the writing on the wall. As for Ruth Davison as leader, don't make me laugh.

Do you think it is right that Scotland has voted to remain but is now out of the EU

The LEAVE team dont seem to have have no plan at the moment and are retracting that £350000 per week is to be spent on the NHS

They are saying that there is going to be a recession but it is nothing to do with BREXIT and there probably will not be a reduction of immigration from the EU.

I wanted REMAIN but LEAVE won so they should get on with it and get us out of the EU but others think it will lead to serious problems especially as voters may have been completely misled by LEAVE leaders on the points mentioned above.

But they seem like a fair number of LEAVE voters that perhaps LEAVE was not a good idea especially as Boris could have easily been on the REMAIN side but went LEAVE as it may have enhanced his position to become Tory leader.

Interesting times as Labour have no credible leader to take over from Corbyn who is a decent man with a social conscience but should never have become leader of the party

I am not going to read through this thread to see if this has been posted but..... Guardian opinion.

If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.

Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.

With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.

How?

Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away. Whether implicitly or explicitly, the image was clear: he would be giving that notice under Article 50 the morning after a vote to leave. Whether that was scaremongering or not is a bit moot now but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.

And as the day wore on, the enormity of that step started to sink in: the markets, Sterling, Scotland, the Irish border, the Gibraltar border, the frontier at Calais, the need to continue compliance with all EU regulations for a free market, re-issuing passports, Brits abroad, EU citizens in Britain, the mountain of legislation to be torn up and rewritten ... the list grew and grew.

The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.

The Conservative party election that Cameron triggered will now have one question looming over it: will you, if elected as party leader, trigger the notice under Article 50?

Who will want to have the responsibility of all those ramifications and consequences on his/her head and shoulders?

Boris Johnson knew this yesterday, when he emerged subdued from his home and was even more subdued at the press conference. He has been out-manoeuvred and check-mated.

If he runs for leadership of the party, and then fails to follow through on triggering Article 50, then he is finished. If he does not run and effectively abandons the field, then he is finished. If he runs, wins and pulls the UK out of the EU, then it will all be over - Scotland will break away, there will be upheaval in Ireland, a recession ... broken trade agreements. Then he is also finished. Boris Johnson knows all of this. When he acts like the dumb blond it is just that: an act.

The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.

When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was "never". When Michael Gove went on and on about "informal negotiations" ... why? why not the formal ones straight away? ... he also meant not triggering the formal departure. They both know what a formal demarche would mean: an irreversible step that neither of them is prepared to take.

All that remains is for someone to have the guts to stand up and say that Brexit is unachievable in reality without an enormous amount of pain and destruction, that cannot be borne. And David Cameron has put the onus of making that statement on the heads of the people who led the Brexit campaign.

Do you think it is right that Scotland has voted to remain but is now out of the EU

Perhaps they should have thought of that before voting to stay in the uk .

They knew a referendum was Tory policy before voting

They voted to stay in the uk and the U.K. Voted to leave the EU . What do you want areas that voted remain staying and the rest of the U.K. leaving

I am not going to read through this thread to see if this has been posted but..... Guardian opinion.

If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.

Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.

With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.

How?

Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away. Whether implicitly or explicitly, the image was clear: he would be giving that notice under Article 50 the morning after a vote to leave. Whether that was scaremongering or not is a bit moot now but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.

And as the day wore on, the enormity of that step started to sink in: the markets, Sterling, Scotland, the Irish border, the Gibraltar border, the frontier at Calais, the need to continue compliance with all EU regulations for a free market, re-issuing passports, Brits abroad, EU citizens in Britain, the mountain of legislation to be torn up and rewritten ... the list grew and grew.

The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.

The Conservative party election that Cameron triggered will now have one question looming over it: will you, if elected as party leader, trigger the notice under Article 50?

Who will want to have the responsibility of all those ramifications and consequences on his/her head and shoulders?

Boris Johnson knew this yesterday, when he emerged subdued from his home and was even more subdued at the press conference. He has been out-manoeuvred and check-mated.

If he runs for leadership of the party, and then fails to follow through on triggering Article 50, then he is finished. If he does not run and effectively abandons the field, then he is finished. If he runs, wins and pulls the UK out of the EU, then it will all be over - Scotland will break away, there will be upheaval in Ireland, a recession ... broken trade agreements. Then he is also finished. Boris Johnson knows all of this. When he acts like the dumb blond it is just that: an act.

The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.

When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was "never". When Michael Gove went on and on about "informal negotiations" ... why? why not the formal ones straight away? ... he also meant not triggering the formal departure. They both know what a formal demarche would mean: an irreversible step that neither of them is prepared to take.

All that remains is for someone to have the guts to stand up and say that Brexit is unachievable in reality without an enormous amount of pain and destruction, that cannot be borne. And David Cameron has put the onus of making that statement on the heads of the people who led the Brexit campaign.

That is some spin, and largely rubbish. The Guardian are having a tough job accepting the will of the people.

How?

I think if Cameron thought that the LEAVE had won fairly without promising impossible things and lied about him personally he may well have continued further as PM.

allthough perhaps not as he he knows being out of the EU is going to lead to a recession.

Even though I think him incompetent untruthful and arrogant I am not cheering about his departure.

Perhaps they should have thought of that before voting to stay in the uk .

They knew a referendum was Tory policy before voting

They voted to stay in the uk and the U.K. Voted to leave the EU . What do you want areas that voted remain staying and the rest of the U.K. leaving

Only possible solution. UK is UNION of 4 nations. England and Wales voted to leave. I think a pan Celtic alliance of three distinct areas namely Eire, NI and Scotland would quite happily cooperate and let England and Wales " take their country back"?

Sent from my YOGA Tablet 2-1050F using Tapatalk

That is some spin, and largely rubbish. The Guardian are having a tough job accepting the will of the people.

What would you do if you thought the will of the people was a dangerous leap in the dark and obtained by deception and does not have a credible economic plan

I think it probably is a dangerous leap in the dark but as I am 70 I will not have to suffer for very long the problems with the leap but my children will so bring it on whatever it is

I didn't realise that Scotland had it's own EU referendum. Scotland took part in a UK referendum. They demonstrated their self interest by voting in their own referendum to be part of the UK. The English contributions were too difficult to give up. I wonder how many Scots elsewhere in the UK voted and for what. Sturgeon is just stirring it up. 3.8m registered, 1.6m voted remain. The SNP is a minority party in Scotland albeit the largest.

I didn't realise that Scotland had it's own EU referendum. Scotland took part in a UK referendum. They demonstrated their self interest by voting in their own referendum to be part of the UK. The English contributions were too difficult to give up. I wonder how many Scots elsewhere in the UK voted and for what. Sturgeon is just stirring it up. 3.8m registered, 1.6m voted remain. The SNP is a minority party in Scotland albeit the largest.

How do you think they will vote in the next one. Let me guess? #Brexit. Turkeys voting for Xmas??????

She started impressing a lot of people with her TV performances in the build up to the general election last year.

She then led the Tories to 2nd place in the Scottish Parliament elections this year with a significant surge in support, displacing Labour as the main opposition. (No mean feat)

She's inevitably going to end up at Westminster in some capacity.

She started impressing a lot of people with her TV performances in the build up to the general election last year.

She then led the Tories to 2nd place in the Scottish Parliament elections this year with a significant surge in support, displacing Labour as the main opposition. (No mean feat)

She's inevitably going to end up at Westminster in some capacity.

She may well have shot herself in the foot with her gobby behaviour at Wembley. If there is a Leave PM she has no chance unless she delivers Westminster seats in Scotland.

I'm a Northern Ireland unionist but our identities are evolving and more nuanced than black and white. I no longer hold the same cultural or political mindset it seems with the English and as an Ulster Scot am aligning with Scottish progressive mindset. I am still a unionist as in better together than apart but brexit is the opposite of that.

Many northern Irish unionists voted for remain and reject the notion that makes us less unionist.

You are right as well about contributions. Quite happy to keep European subsidies and suffer the loss of English. If England wants to go down this path, fine, but just dont expect us to be the lapdog and go along with it. Always up for reasoned debate?

The N I Republicans would buy your idea, would the Unionists?. The Republic may run a mile at the idea unless the EU threw a lot of money at them. Why would they want to absorb two basket cases.

I'm a Northern Ireland unionist but our identities are evolving and more nuanced than black and white. I no longer hold the same cultural or political mindset it seems with the English and as an Ulster Scot am aligning with Scottish progressive mindset. I am still a unionist as in better together than apart but brexit is the opposite of that.

Many northern Irish unionists voted for remain and reject the notion that makes us less unionist.

You are right as well about contributions. Quite happy to keep European subsidies and suffer the loss of English. If England wants to go down this path, fine, but just dont expect us to be the lapdog and go along with it. Always up for reasoned debate

it is our money in the first place

What would you do if you thought the will of the people was a dangerous leap in the dark and obtained by deception and does not have a credible economic plan

I think it probably is a dangerous leap in the dark but as I am 70 I will not have to suffer for very long the problems with the leap but my children will so bring it on whatever it is

Sorry, it was a democratic decision. So regardless if whether you agree or not, it has to stand.

Personally, I thought the Remain campaign was much more deceptive. Project Fear was a daily diatribe of domesday scenarios.

I wouldn't have promised a referendum in the first place even if I thought I'd never have to deliver because my mate Nick wouldn't let me. Look how that worked out. If the ramifications were as put forward by the Remain campaign why on earth would they have a referendum.

Edited by derry

ours as in the UKs

jesus

My name's not Jesus but I bask in his glow, thanks. WE did not vote to leave. You did. This is no longer a UNITED kingdom so these distinctions now apply. Northern Ireland 55%remain. Do you force us against our will?

England is progressively going more right wing and does no longer represent the collective mindset.

I do not believe for one second that after brexit that an entrenched Tory govt will replace our lost European subsidies (£350 million NHS ring a bell)

So for purely economic reasons( practical, money oriented reasons, yes I know) the case of loosening the ties with an austerity agenda big brother is becoming a more attractive proposition.

Can you see this argument as valid? Maybe?

Only possible solution. UK is UNION of 4 nations. England and Wales voted to leave. I think a pan Celtic alliance of three distinct areas namely Eire, NI and Scotland would quite happily cooperate and let England and Wales " take their country back"

Probably the most ridiculous and unlikely suggestion on the thread so far.

My name's not Jesus but I bask in his glow, thanks. WE did not vote to leave. You did. This is no longer a UNITED kingdom so these distinctions now apply. Northern Ireland 55%remain. Do you force us against our will?

England is progressively going more right wing and does no longer represent the collective mindset.

I do not believe for one second that after brexit that an entrenched Tory govt will replace our lost European subsidies (£350 million NHS ring a bell)

So for purely economic reasons( practical, money oriented reasons, yes I know) the case of loosening the ties with an austerity agenda big brother is becoming a more attractive proposition.

Can you see this argument as valid? Maybe?

it is our money (the UKs). could not care less what else you posted

the subsidies you get is your own money

seems yoof turnout (18-24 year olds) was a whopping 36%...

So while 75% of the 36% voted to remain. of taking all 18-24 yr olds: 27% voted remain, 9% voted leave, 64% didn't bother doing anything.

but its seems the yoof are vitriolic against older people who decide to exercise their democratic rights, apparently.

Have you got a link or source for these stats? I'm not disputing them at all, as it's certainly what I suspected - I'm in heated discussion with my three kids who all are more or less in that age group and all voted remain (as my wife and did). However they put the blame squarely on "old fogies" like me and wouldn't believe that I suspected that a lot of young people either didn't bother to vote or didn't register.

Which option for economic relations post 'leave the EU' did Brexiters vote for ?

1) The Norwegian / EEA model

2) The Swiss bilateral treaty model

3) A UK specific 'freinds with benefits' Associate Member model

4) Complete divorce, with trade governed by WTO regulations

( This may not be a complete list of the options ).

Edited by badgerx16

Which option for economic relations post 'leave the EU' did Brexiters vote for ?

It's not. A complete UK negotiation with an Australian style points system.

and parades as a 'unionist'

completely see-through

Paraded as an apprentice boy actually. Grandad in Tyrone lodge for 55 years. Great uncle was a piper on DDay beaches. Dad in UDR for 15 years and then in the RUC for twenty seeing friends shot and bombed. Yes I bit. What's your family ever done for the Queen and Country?

077e908f8b771484c2dbfda1782003ca.jpg

Not another friggin' referendum. When is this one happening.

. What's your family ever done for the Queen and Country?

Hmmmm

immediate family

Falkands war

Gulf War 1

Op Banner (you should know what that is) 4 tours

Me, Afghanistan, Iraq and Gulf war 2. Operations in north Africa plus oodles of other shyt I simply cannot say on here and still doing it

next question?

Hmmmm

immediate family

Falkands war

Gulf War 1

Me, Afghanistan, Iraq and Gulf war 2. Operations in north Africa plus oodles of other shyt I simply cannot say on here and still doing it

next question?

Fair play. See what assumption gets you?

Have you got a link or source for these stats? I'm not disputing them at all, as it's certainly what I suspected - I'm in heated discussion with my three kids who all are more or less in that age group and all voted remain (as my wife and did). However they put the blame squarely on "old fogies" like me and wouldn't believe that I suspected that a lot of young people either didn't bother to vote or didn't register.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Sorry to disappoint you but the choice is not ours. This will be a take it or leave it situation.

Sorry, it was a democratic decision. So regardless if whether you agree or not, it has to stand.

I think the people who are cra pping themselves about "it" having "to stand" are the likes of Boris and Gove.

Stop retreading the "neh neh we won" stuff. Most of us Remainers accepted that by seven am on Friday. We're getting on with it.

The re-referendum Internet idiots are no different to the Brexit conspiro-loons going on about pens on polling day and Farage himself calling it fixed at 11pm on Thursday. That shi t would have happened regardless of winner, don't make out the whole of Leave would gave lost gracefully. Obviously they wouldn't.

Personally I am looking forward to most of the Brexiteers, having had their Tony Blair "Thiiiings Can Only Get Bettttterrrr" moment of joy on Friday, start to see the scales falling from their eyes over the coming weeks and months.

You won. Suck it up.

Hmmmm

immediate family

Falkands war

Gulf War 1

next question?

Brilliant. Nice one TDD.