The New, New, New Manager Thread

St Chalet

Summary

- Saints plan to appoint Puel in the coming days

- Held talks with Puel, Pellegrini, Garcia and Pereira

- Positive talks with Puel for the past week or so

- Puel has outlined a desire to stay for the long-term, but will be given an initial three-year deal

- Puel wants to play attacking, pressing football and give opportunities to academy players

- Saints seriously looked into appointing Pellegrini, but felt he wasn't enough of a 'coach' and as such didn't fit the structure

Stupid of Saints to leak news of big names like Pellegrini and Garcia and then appoint an unknown French manager with a patchy CV. I was hoping we'd use our current standing to make a blue chip appointment but we haven't.

Can't see that Puel will be a big enough name to keep hold of Mane etc. Can see a summer of upheaval which will set us back. Big gamble.

No manager is a big enough name to keep Mane because the manager doesn't pay his wages (or more importantly his agents cut of a move) .

Tell me this, if Puel did so well with Monaco and Lyon then how come he was sacked?

Many managers from the French league with ostensibly better records have tried and failed in the Premier League. That's the concern I'm trying to present.

It's basically pointless posting on this forum because, unless you say what a genius Les Reed is, you are just mocked for not having 100% faith in anything the club does.

On what basis are you suggesting that I'm not knowledgeable? I've read all there is to read about Puel and I'm still not convinced. He appears to have done a good job with Nice but I've also read a number of things which suggest that it was the form of Ben Afra that made sure they had a wonderful season. I've also read that he was sacked by Lyon for barely mounting a title challenge in a poor league with by far the most expensively assembled squad (PSG were nowhere at this point).

I've read the facts and I've got a concern, don't just make blind insults because someone doesn't agree with you.

No problem, not suggesting he's a Gray or a Wigley or indeed that he will be a terrible appointment. I just don't think he was the best we could have appointed and he smacks of a Black Box gamble.

I am merely saying that, given where we found ourselves at the end of last season, we could have taken the opportunity to appoint an experienced, blue chip manager who would likely have raised our profile in the transfer market and convinced our big players to stay.

I hope I'm wrong but I'm not sure Puel is who we need at the present moment.

Anyway, what is done is done so best to see what happens and I wish Claude the very best of luck.

Well put mate. There's plenty of other Saints fans that agree. That's not to say Puel won't do a good job, but he won't convey the sense of ambition and respect from other fans and players as Pellegrini, and Marcos Silva looked a better option on paper.

Genuine question: What's the quality of play like in the french League? I heard PSG won it by a mile with plenty of games to spare.....

If that article is correct then I think it's a shame we are only offering a 3 year contract. If The Board believe he is the correct choice he should be given at least 4 but preferably 5 years. I know it costs more if you sack them but avoids this hassle every two years.

Well put mate. There's plenty of other Saints fans that agree. That's not to say Puel won't do a good job, but he won't convey the sense of ambition and respect from other fans and players as Pellegrini, and Marcos Silva looked a better option on paper.

Genuine question: What's the quality of play like in the french League? I heard PSG won it by a mile with plenty of games to spare.....

Does anyone really give a flying **** about what other fans think?

I remember them all absolutely caning us for ages over the Pochettino appointment and Koeman's appointment didn't really register with neutrals either.

Summary

- Saints plan to appoint Puel in the coming days

- Held talks with Puel, Pellegrini, Garcia and Pereira

- Positive talks with Puel for the past week or so

- Puel has outlined a desire to stay for the long-term, but will be given an initial three-year deal

- Puel wants to play attacking, pressing football and give opportunities to academy players

- Saints seriously looked into appointing Pellegrini, but felt he wasn't enough of a 'coach' and as such didn't fit the structure

Although it's a laudable ambition that Saints want to push academy players into the first team, it will ultimately be at the expense of the overall quality of the side if - as with the current generation - the standard of the young players coming through is mediocre at best.

I know Les and his mate Hunter have to justify the efficiency of the youth set up by showing that x number of players have walked the "pathway" from fledgling to first team, but it's a pointless exercise in back slapping if the players aren't good enough - and I think most would be hard pressed to name many lads outside of the first team squad who should be anywhere near a Championship side, let alone a top six Premier League team playing in Europe.

But good luck to the new manager in any case. Every appointment is a gamble - the very few managers who "guarantee" success don't come to Southampton.

Sent from my VF-895N using Tapatalk

Does anyone really give a flying **** about what other fans think?

I remember them all absolutely caning us for ages over the Pochettino appointment and Koeman's appointment didn't really register with neutrals either.

Don't think anyone cares what other fans think but the perception of the club to the rest of the footballing world is a relevant concern. We've seen plenty of players move or sign for clubs because of the manager and all I think is being highlighted is that Puel is a relative unknown to anyone who hasn't played in or followed the French league. It maybe that this inhibits our clout in the transfer market but then again it may not, just an observation.

That said, a lot of Leicester's best players are unknown cheap options from the French league. I expect we will pursue a couple of those this summer so just have to hope they are of sufficient quality to replace the likes of Wanyama, Mane and Bertrand.

How does finishing 17th, then 11th, then 4th* (and just two points off 2nd) suggest he blows hot and cold?

It suggests that he rebuilt the side he inherited and turned them into a top four side over a two-year period, and used youth and built an exciting style.

I'm confused how you've said 'hot and cold'...

* - with the youngest squad and with an exciting style of play

** - his oldest outfield is 33 year old Bodmer, next oldest is 28 - most of the squad is 18-25

Because he finished 4th in his first season.

If a player with no better offers financially or sporting-wise doesn't want to sign for a club in the Europa League, in the top half of the Premier League and with a state-of-the-art training ground because he's not heard of the manager, then you really have to question whether they are the right person for Saints.

It's uninspiring - if we lose Mane as well as Victor and Koeman it's hardly the sort of appointment that will restore the buzz to players and fans. It's a meh appointment from me and the other guys I go with.

Hopefully results will make all this talk irrelevant , but I feel very flat at the moment and struggle to believe he was anywhere near our first choice.

One report I read said we looked st him when we appointed Ronald, well if he wasn't good enough then don't why he is now.

Any word about his assistants? At Nice, they were Frédéric Gioria, Guy Mengual and Alexandre Dellal, but it seems to me that they are still employed at Nice (if wikipedia is reliable), so no idea if they would necessarily move with him. Gioria was at Nice before Puel arrived so not necessarily him. Guy Mengual was in charge of the U19 team and played with Puel at Monaco, so he could possibly come with him. Alexandre Dellal was the physical coach, and also worked with Puel at Lyon. With Jan Kluitenberg going, it is a role that needs filling.

So if I was to hazard a guess, I'd say Guy Mengual and Alexandre Dellal will come with him.

Have to say i agree.........looks pretty basic football to me and shocking defending by other teams ......If this is the new manager its a massive gamble to be honest

How many Premier League goals (or in fact any goal) have you seen with good defending? For the majority of goals, someone has ****ed up somewhere.

Lol, I think it's hilarious that people are getting their knickers in a twist because he's not as big a name as someone else and they haven't heard of him. I didn't realise that being a ''well known'' name equaled the success of a manager. I'm glad the club have the eyes and sense to look beyond a 'name'. Seriously, if some of the utter morons on this board were put in control of our football club then we would be long gone down the leagues.

As I thought, not one person who is 'against' this has a valid reason as to why.

Surely they are getting their knickers in a twist because he has achieved less and less as his career has 'progressed'.

Edited by buctootim
knickers not knockers

Top 10 and a good Europa run (last 16) would be a good season.

Big ask. New man will do very well if we get either a top 8 finish in the league OR into the last 16 in the Europa (and then finishing comfortably outside relegation 12th-14th). Not sure we can get a top 10 and a EL run from where we are starting from (unless we are appointing Klopp:o).

How many Premier League goals (or in fact any goal) have you seen with good defending? For the majority of goals, someone has ****ed up somewhere.
if you defend badly its simple to score ............in that league it looks easy to score by playing basic football surely you understand....right?

if you defend badly its simple to score ............in that league it looks easy to score by playing basic football surely you understand....right?

I understand, it's the same as playing in Holland.

Pellè's managed 15 in both seasons here, Tadić managed to still be our most creative player and Koeman managed to forge an attacking team too.

If a player with no better offers financially or sporting-wise doesn't want to sign for a club in the Europa League, in the top half of the Premier League and with a state-of-the-art training ground because he's not heard of the manager, then you really have to question whether they are the right person for Saints.

Spot on!

Redmond signed with no manager

Just caught up with someone I worked with briefly at one point, who is a French football writer and a Lille fan.

Here's what he's sent me...

I really like Puel. It was his Lille team that I fell in love with.

He brought through Cabaye and Debuchy.

Likes to play on the counter, has always tried to attack on some level. Defence hasn't always been great, but more down to the players he's had.

Develops youth well. Just look at that Nice team, and also the way he's tamed Ben Arfa.

His face just didn't fit at Lyon. Great track record everywhere else in France.

Obviously impossible to say how well he'd do in England. That's the hard part.

If he is confirmed, you'd want him to hijack the move for Nampalys Mendy to Leicester. Brilliant holding mid.

Appointing a big name manager like Pellegrini is not out style and I think if people did a bit of research into Puel they would be impressed and fits the Southampton model perfectly.

My understanding a week or so ago was that Puel was first choice.

For Nice to finish just off 2nd in the French league and to reach the semi final of the champions league is very impressive.

I sometimes think Saints fans think we can appoint a Guardiola style manager. Short term memories we have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He reached the Champions League semi final with Lyon not Nice, still quite impressive though.

Disappointed because I think there were plenty of better candidates. My initial reaction is that this is a manager who will not makes waves about Mane being sold.

Mind you, I'm not going to get out of my pram about it. Good luck to the bloke, hope he does well.

France's oldest relationship in sub-Saharan Africa is with Senegal, Mane will stay because of this appointment. :D