• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

I wonder who will be the first political interviewer to challenge a Tory who comes out with the bullshit that "Johnson got Brexit done". It is one of the favourite lines of Johnson defenders  yet the current situation in  N Ireland shows that the eternal Brexit issue of N Ireland has not been resolved. Johnson's lies and evasion on this issue are breathtaking. To say that Johnson has got Brexit done is as true as "Saints are challenging for a Champions League place".

On Radio 4 this morning Zahawi was challenged on another one of the Tory lies (Johnson got the big Covid decisions right). He didn't put up much of a defense . He was probably surprised that someone from the BBC was challenging the bullshit.

I can't see the BBC having the balls to challenge this Brexit bullshit as long as Mad Nad sabre rattles about the licence fee. Channel 4 are similarly intimidated. Perhaps it will be down to Peston.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Warriorsaint said:

Brexit hastening breakup of union wasn’t really in the Brexit benefits bingo card was it brexiters?

The Scottish and NI situations were entirely predictable, but the Brexiteers wanted to chase their unicorn.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Warriorsaint said:

Brexit hastening breakup of union wasn’t really in the Brexit benefits bingo card was it brexiters?

Honestly, SNP have been chansing independence since 2007, Way before brexit, Ireland troubles have always been around... 

Do you blame brexit when you burn your toast? 

Your so desperate... 

25 minutes ago, Mosin said:

Honestly, SNP have been chansing independence since 2007, Way before brexit, Ireland troubles have always been around... 

Your so desperate... 

The SNP have been chasing independence for a lot longer than 2007.

Unless you mean the Scot Govt elections that year which created a catalyst for change.

A bit like Brexit has done for Ireland. 

Things change, decisions have consequences.

Fuck knows why I am replying to you, but there you go.

Edited by CB Fry

1 hour ago, Mosin said:

Your so desperate... 

“You’re”

If you can read a sentence before frothing then you would have noticed the word “hastening” lurking in there. 

Yes the Irish have been fighting for independence for 800 years, just delicious thats its “your” Brexit heroes that’ll complete the job within the decade. 👏 

Edited by Warriorsaint

1 hour ago, Mosin said:

Your so desperate... 

What else other than Brexit can you blame for the NI Protocol ?

The point is that before Brexit, we were just about hanging together as the "United" Kingdom. Now we have easily defined fault lines between 'Leave' supporting England and 'Remain' voting Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

What else other than Brexit can you blame for the NI Protocol ?

The point is that before Brexit, we were just about hanging together as the "United" Kingdom. Now we have easily defined fault lines between 'Leave' supporting England and 'Remain' voting Scotland and Northern Ireland.

The NI protocol is a result of a sore loser remainer taking the government to court to block a no deal brexit, a no deal brexit i was in support of, not the crap we got, i also do not have any ill feelings to either Scotland or NI if they are planning on leaving the UK, you seem to think i have an issue with a democatic decision, if Scotland and NI choose to be independent i shall not be like ( some) remainers and the EU, but in fact shall wish them the best of luck and good fortune in the choices the people of NI and Scotland decide even if its bad for them or good, it will make no difference to me, it is not for me to decide what is best for ever one, you claim brexit is bad because you now need a visa to go to the EU and bring no other arguments, is it because you cant get a visa? I have no problems and have been twice since brexit, my wages have grown massively since and bills increased slightly, but those incress are because of covid and war in Ukraine, not brexit, if you really think me, a supporter of countrys being independent and democratic has a problem with other countrys choosing to leave the UK to chase the EU dream ( Scotland) or to become completely independent ( like the new party in NI, yes they dont reunification or to be apart of the UK) then you are wrong, i would be delighted for them. 

Trying to claim its because of brexit is silly, although i agree it likely speed it up as the NI protocol is retarded. 

Scotland have been chasing independence for longer than i have been alive and it really started to gather pace in 2007, long before brexit, but yet an independent Scotland wouldnt be a member of the EU, its membership was tied to the UKs and wouldnt be carried over or considered a member any more if it became an independent country.. EUs own words...  and we all know how long the fast tracked extra helping speed up entry time is 20 years.. How long do you think a normal waiting time is?  

I am not a nanny, i dont want to look after every body else and tell them what to do or how to vote, i do my vote and i get on with it, deal with what ever happens, accept it and move on. No point crying like you years after the event claiming brexit has ruined every thing for you... 

.. This is not a fully aimed reply to you, but also to Warriorsaint. 

Edited by Mosin

10 minutes ago, Mosin said:

The NI protocol is a result of a sore loser remainer taking the government to court to block a no deal brexit, a no deal brexit i was in support of, not the crap we got, i also do not have any ill feelings to either Scotland or NI if they are planning on leaving the UK, you seem to think i have an issue with a democatic decision, if Scotland and NI choose to be independent i shall not be like ( some) remainers and the EU, but in fact shall wish them the best of luck and good fortune in the choices the people of NI and Scotland decide even if its bad for them or good, it will make no difference to me, it is not for me to decide what is best for ever one, you claim brexit is bad because you now need a visa to go to the EU and bring no other arguments, is it because you cant get a visa? I have no problems and have been twice since brexit, my wages have grown massively since and bills increased slightly, but those incress are because of covid and war in Ukraine, not brexit, if you really think me, a supporter of countrys being independent and democratic has a problem with other countrys choosing to leave the UK to chase the EU dream ( Scotland) or to become completely independent ( like the new party in NI, yes they dont reunification or to be apart of the UK) then you are wrong, i would be delighted for them. 

Trying to claim its because of brexit is silly, although i agree it likely speed it up as the NI protocol is retarded. 

Scotland have been chasing independence for longer than i have been alive and it really started to gather pace in 2007, long before brexit, but yet an independent Scotland wouldnt be a member of the EU, its membership was tied to the UKs and wouldnt be carried over or considered a member any more if it became an independent country.. EUs own words...  and we all know how long the fast tracked extra helping speed up entry time is 20 years.. How long do you think a normal waiting time is?  

I am not a nanny, i dont want to look after every body else and tell them what to do or how to vote, i do my vote and i get on with it, deal with what ever happens, accept it and move on. No point crying like you years after the event claiming brexit has ruined every thing for you... 

Where have I "cried" over Brexit "ruining everything" ? I think it will turn out to be a bad move, but in many many points across this thread have stated that it is a fait-accomplis and we need to move on and try to make the best of a bad job.

Stop feeling guilty over having voted to leave. And as for your "massive" wage hike over the last 2 years, I am surprised you haven't mentioned it earlier 😉

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

The break up of the union will be a benefit of Brexit, but it’ll probably end up saving it. An independent Scotland & RUK in the EU together is a totally different beast to an independent Scotland when  RUK is outside The EU. Of course Brexit gives them something to ramp up the whinging, but when given the chance to put up or shut up, they’ll not have the balls to go it alone. Devolution, not Brexit is the biggest danger to The Union. That’s the next battleground. 

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The break up of the union will be a benefit of Brexit, but it’ll probably end up saving it. An independent Scotland & RUK in the EU together is a totally different beast to an independent Scotland when  RUK is outside The EU. Of course Brexit gives them something to ramp up the whinging, but when given the chance to put up or shut up, they’ll not have the balls to go it alone. Devolution, not Brexit is the biggest danger to The Union. That’s the next battleground. 

Bring back the Empire! Paint the globe pink! Let's start small with Scotland and NI. After that the world's our global oyster.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sandwichsaint said:

Bring back the Empire! Paint the globe pink! Let's start small with Scotland and NI. After that the world's our global oyster.

How is wanting to be independent of Scotland & NI bringing back the empire, it’s exactly the opposite. You do realise it was a British empire and not an  English empire don’t you? 

46 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

How is wanting to be independent of Scotland & NI bringing back the empire, it’s exactly the opposite. You do realise it was a British empire and not an  English empire don’t you? 

Unless you view Scotland, Wales, and Ireland as the first English colonies. (  Historically a very dubious point as far as Scotland is concerned, but certainly one the separatists hold ).

1 hour ago, whelk said:

This will help with all the other price rises. 

96DB3D82-9976-473B-8C0C-C97D1A09BBF6.jpeg

Wine tarrifs lifted? To quote Samuel L Jackson in Pulp fiction on learning the "wolf" was being sent - "hell negro, that's all you had to say"

9 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Little Englander. 

On 10/05/2022 at 15:18, Mosin said:

Glad you’re doing so well. Tell us again how well you’re doing. Big house, flash car is it?

Empty soul……..

35 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

Glad you’re doing so well. Tell us again how well you’re doing. Big house, flash car is it?

Empty soul……..

im doing alright, i think my soul is fine too.

was thinking of going to Sellicks beach, Adelaide next year in Feb, think ill need a visa?

15 hours ago, Mosin said:

im doing alright, i think my soul is fine too.

was thinking of going to Sellicks beach, Adelaide next year in Feb, think ill need a visa?

Make Britain Great Again.  
Will you be wearing your union flag boxers and big gold chain to lord it over the Aussies this time?

6 hours ago, Warriorsaint said:

Make Britain Great Again.  
Will you be wearing your union flag boxers and big gold chain to lord it over the Aussies this time?

No thnx, That might be your thing, but it is certainly not mine. ill have a thong on, pulled up tight, right up my backside, whilst singing and dancing to the thong song........
Dance Speedo GIF

I must say though, i do feel rather troubled that you have been thinking of my underwear....

On 12/05/2022 at 21:48, Mosin said:

No thnx, That might be your thing, but it is certainly not mine. ill have a thong on, pulled up tight, right up my backside, whilst singing and dancing to the thong song........
Dance Speedo GIF

I must say though, i do feel rather troubled that you have been thinking of my underwear....

Yep thats exactly what I pictured. 

So now we are officially unhappy with the agreement we negotiated, agreed to, and implemented. One side is sticking to the agreement, yet is being blamed totally for the other side's failure to recognise reality. And apparently it is totally legal to break a legally binding treaty.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

So now we are officially unhappy with the agreement we negotiated, agreed to, and implemented. One side is sticking to the agreement, yet is being blamed totally for the other side's failure to recognise reality. And apparently it is totally legal to break a legally binding treaty.

And it seems that the much vaunted Trade Deal that we could do with the USA as a consequence of Brexit is under pressure from the Democrats as they are not at all happy that the UK Govt is trying to renege on a deal they were happy to sign off.
Yet another Brexit 'bonus' in peril!!!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

And it seems that the much vaunted Trade Deal that we could do with the USA as a consequence of Brexit is under pressure from the Democrats as they are not at all happy that the UK Govt is trying to renege on a deal they were happy to sign off.
Yet another Brexit 'bonus' in peril!!!

But the road to the Sunny Uplands was all set fair with the "oven ready deal" and the "easiest trade deal in history".

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

Imperial measures 😂 

After we left the EU it was great to be free! We got rid of that internet malarkey and became a community. We didn't even bother with glass in the windows, we were free!" - Brexit survivor 2035.

Is that Brexit survivor still queueing at Dover to get through French passport control ?

25 minutes ago, trousers said:

Brexit still causing airport queues I see.... ;)

image.thumb.png.294a09aaee2885a46b3706865d1bcd31.png

the airport its self blames staff shortages. its a problem all over eu ""Like other airports all over Europe, we are currently working extremely hard to build back our operation after the collapse of international travel, including the recruitment, training and mandatory background checks required for all staff working at an international airport," "

2 hours ago, Mosin said:

the airport its self blames staff shortages. its a problem all over eu ""Like other airports all over Europe, we are currently working extremely hard to build back our operation after the collapse of international travel, including the recruitment, training and mandatory background checks required for all staff working at an international airport," "

Yes this is fair. I can’t blame Brexit for this. Same all over Europe.

However getting through passport control in this country is a shitshow.

• Like 1

On 10/05/2022 at 19:17, Lord Duckhunter said:

Your understanding of complexity is quite naive. I also think your arguments are quite simplistic.  You have a simple logic, I think. Quite simple really.

13 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

A link to the Government's 'consultaion document' on Imperail measures; a couple of leading and biased questions that hardly warrants being called a 'consultation'. Is this truly what Brexit means to people ?

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/choice-on-units-of-measurement-markings-and-sales

No metric only option in one of the questions. 

This imperial stuff is a fuckin joke.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Also likely to increase prices https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61683111

Still yet to see a tangible gain from Brexit

The question you need to ask your self while reading that is..... Why would 2.2 pound of veg suddenly cost more than a kilogram... It wont... its lies. Also no requiments for ppl to change, its a choice.

47 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Far, far too sensible for the current Conservative party and it's media cheerleaders.

What a state this country is in.

https://www.politicshome.com/thehouse/article/we-can-upgrade-brexit-and-ease-the-cost-of-living-by-going-back-to-the-single-market

Wont happen, Will take to long to rejoin, by the time we have rejoined the current situation will be over,  and we will have to give up the pound as required to rejoin which also would never happen. Not to mention going back on all the reason we left eg freedom of movement of ppl and so on.

He should also remember MT was againts the joining of the EU which is why she was forced out of office, she wanted the EEC to stay as it was, claimed it would take powers from member states.. fair to say she wasnt wrong!!! LOL.

20 minutes ago, Mosin said:

Wont happen, Will take to long to rejoin, by the time we have rejoined the current situation will be over,  and we will have to give up the pound as required to rejoin which also would never happen. Not to mention going back on all the reason we left eg freedom of movement of ppl and so on.

He should also remember MT was againts the joining of the EU which is why she was forced out of office, she wanted the EEC to stay as it was, claimed it would take powers from member states.. fair to say she wasnt wrong!!! LOL.

There is no need to ditch the pound to rejoin one of Thatcher's proudest achievements - the Single Market.

Either you are stupid and don't know the difference between the Single Market and the EU or you decided to comment on something without bothering to read it. That would also make you pretty stupid.

Edited by Tamesaint

2 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

Far, far too sensible for the current Conservative party and it's media cheerleaders.

What a state this country is in.

https://www.politicshome.com/thehouse/article/we-can-upgrade-brexit-and-ease-the-cost-of-living-by-going-back-to-the-single-market

He raises some good points and what he is proposing is actually what Brexit is meant to stand for - i.e for the country to decide what would be best for the country.

The freedom of movement of goods, services and capital is a no brainer.  The freedom of movement of people wouldn't have the same impact as pre Brexit given the uncoupling from the political unity - simply put we would (potentially, depending on how effectively or not it's managed!) have far more control over who receives benefits and how.

It's a sensible option but sadly a non starter given the clowns currently in charge.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

There is no need to ditch the pound to rejoin one of Thatcher's proudest achievements - the Single Market.

Either you are stupid and don't know the difference between the Single Market and the EU or you decided to comment on something without bothering to read it. That would also make you pretty stupid.

Can we stop with the personally insults? i know it is hard for some of you remainers to stay civil.

Firstly, i missed read the article, still no need to insult me, you could just point it out....
why did we not join the single market when we left the EU? regulatory independence... independence from EU rules and regulations. take control away from the ECJ.

MT did indeed support the SM, Although it was not called that back then, It was called the common market, and it was well known she did not want it to be controlled by a fedralist state ( EG the EU commision) but after we joined in 1987?)  it had changed into the new improved SM in 1992 in which the EU took over it. So no she did not support ever close ties to the EU or the SM because in 1992 it turned into the thing she warned would happen.

She was pretty clear she didnt want endless regulation and control from the EU commision ( Which didnt yet exist )...

Was well clear she didnt want us in the european union, she attacked the thought of it countless times. any thing that took control away was a big no no from MT.

She was forced out of office because of her views on the European Union, use google you can find direct quotes and even written speachs on her views against what the EEC has become.

Ill link a little quote for you "We have not successfully rolled back the frontiers of the state in Britain, only to see them re-imposed at European level, with a European super-state exercising a new dominance from Brussels."

17 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Also likely to increase prices https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61683111

Still yet to see a tangible gain from Brexit

Latest Brexit "benefit:

Fruit farmers in Kent reckon that they'll have to leave nearly 10% of their crop unpicked as they can't get the labour. They'll accordingly plant less  next year.

Meanwhile, their customers (supermarkets) will import the shortfall from the continent. 

1 hour ago, Mosin said:

Can we stop with the personally insults? i know it is hard for some of you remainers to stay civil.

Firstly, i missed read the article, still no need to insult me, you could just point it out....
why did we not join the single market when we left the EU? regulatory independence... independence from EU rules and regulations. take control away from the ECJ.

MT did indeed support the SM, Although it was not called that back then, It was called the common market, and it was well known she did not want it to be controlled by a fedralist state ( EG the EU commision) but after we joined in 1987?)  it had changed into the new improved SM in 1992 in which the EU took over it. So no she did not support ever close ties to the EU or the SM because in 1992 it turned into the thing she warned would happen.

She was pretty clear she didnt want endless regulation and control from the EU commision ( Which didnt yet exist )...

Was well clear she didnt want us in the european union, she attacked the thought of it countless times. any thing that took control away was a big no no from MT.

She was forced out of office because of her views on the European Union, use google you can find direct quotes and even written speachs on her views against what the EEC has become.

Ill link a little quote for you "We have not successfully rolled back the frontiers of the state in Britain, only to see them re-imposed at European level, with a European super-state exercising a new dominance from Brussels."

Ok. No personal insults but you clearly do not know what you are going on about. Ellwood 's article has evidently gone right over your head. Have you read it? 

The Single Market came about in 1993. It was not the same as the old common market. EU states are all in the Single Market along with non EU countries such as Norway, Iceland and Switzerland. To make it clear  YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE IN THE EU TO BE IN THE SINGLE MARKET.

Margaret Thatcher was one of the leading architects of the Single Market. She could see the economic benefits of being part of a market of 320 million people. Look up her speech at Lancaster House in 1988.

The debates back in 2017/ 2019 about a "soft Brexit" and "hard Brexit" were essentially about whether we stayed in the Single Market or completely cut off all links with European countries. At the time of the referendum people like Daniel Hannon and Michael Gove claimed that the debate was not about the Single Market. According to them we would be staying in that even if we left the EU. Boris's "oven ready" Brexit deal has seen us leave the Single Market and Ellwood (a Tory MP) is advocating rejoining it.

Go on. Read Ellwood's piece. You may learn something. 

• Like 2