• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

16 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Also cost the government £200m in grants to their ports mate to build the infrastructure that will now be mothballed. The Tax Payers Alliance should be up in arms, if they weren't a biased Tufton Street think tank.

Think tank is far too grand a term for those cunts

• Like 2

21 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

The Government has, for the fourth time, postponed new checks on imports from the EU. Unfortunately, the EU are already enacting extra checks on UK exports going the other way.

Another Brexit benefit kicked down the road.

As the esteemed minister for trying to find any benefits to Brexit said about checks on produce coming from the EU, it would be an unprecedented  act of self-harm. 

In other words, the biggest Brexit benefit is to not actually implement Brexit.

• Like 4

It is said that Brexit has been described as an anti-elitist revolt was but was, in fact, a coup by one set of Oxford public schoolboys (amongst others Boris Johnson, Michael Gove, Jacob Rees-Mogg and David Cameron etc many of them members of the Bullington Club) against another.

There certainly seems a paucity of information about the benefits of Brexit.

One of the main reasons quoted by my Brexit supporting friends was 'taking control' and not allowing unregulated immigration.

All the news coming out nowadays is the continued flow of mainly young men regularly arriving at Dover at a time when the M20 leading to Dover is gridlocked by trucks trying to reach the continent.

1 hour ago, spyinthesky said:

It is said that Brexit has been described as an anti-elitist revolt was but was, in fact, a coup by one set of Oxford public schoolboys (amongst others Boris Johnson, Michael Gove, Jacob Rees-Mogg and David Cameron etc many of them members of the Bullington Club) against another.

There certainly seems a paucity of information about the benefits of Brexit.

One of the main reasons quoted by my Brexit supporting friends was 'taking control' and not allowing unregulated immigration.

All the news coming out nowadays is the continued flow of mainly young men regularly arriving at Dover at a time when the M20 leading to Dover is gridlocked by trucks trying to reach the continent.

Maybe you misheard and he said 'giving up control' of immigration and not allowing unregulated exports? 

4 hours ago, Warriorsaint said:

No Brexiters left anymore to cheerlead for our act of national self harm? Anyone?

Or because of recent situations its impossible to link any one thing to brexit..

was covid brexits fault?, Was the war in Ukraine brexit fault too? When the current crap is over, come back and i am sure it'll be happily discussed, currently i feel the EU is in the sht in regards to it paying for Russia to destroy Ukrainians.. what is it, 41 billion and counting...

Am more than happy currently to not be apart of the EU thank you very much.

5 minutes ago, Mosin said:

Or because of recent situations its impossible to link any one thing to brexit..

was covid brexits fault?, Was the war in Ukraine brexit fault too? When the current crap is over, come back and i am sure it'll be happily discussed, currently i feel the EU is in the sht in regards to it paying for Russia to destroy Ukrainians.. what is it, 41 billion and counting...

Am more than happy currently to not be apart of the EU thank you very much.

The UK has yet to stop importing Russian oil and gas.

Edit: we also still import Russian coal.

Edited by badgerx16

5 minutes ago, Mosin said:

you really going to compare 200 odd mill to a currently 48 bill and still rising..... https://energyandcleanair.org/financing-putins-war/

UK spent £4.5 billion on Russian oil, gas and coal in 2021.  Overall Britian was Russia's third largest buyer of exports, spending $23 billion in 2020 - 25% more than Germany. Glasshouses and stones.

https://tradingeconomics.com/russia/exports-by-country

Edited by buctootim

12 minutes ago, Mosin said:

Most was brought before the war started, the website i just linked shows all the info...

How about the other c£14bn of non energy imports from Russia? Also in reality we buy a large amount of Russian gas, more than 3%.  The Netherlands buys gas from Russia and then pipes it to us. We just choose to claim its Dutch gas or, at best we buy gas from the Dutch North Sea and they substitute with Russian gas for their own needs.   

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, buctootim said:

How about the other c£14bn of non energy imports from Russia?

But we need to ensure we have a stick to beat the Big Bad EU with, even if we have to invent it.

Edited by badgerx16

1 minute ago, buctootim said:

Exactly. It's UK exceptionalism again - we're great and the nasty EU is to blame. 

Quoting statistics where a single nation, the UK, is compared against another single entity, the EU, is a classic smokescreen because it is in no way a like for like comparison. Of course many of the 27 EU members are more heavily reliant on Russian fuel imports than we are, and therefore find it harder to quickly wean themselves off it, but we also have the benefit of North Sea gas and oil, which Germany, Italy, etc don't have. If we were not a fossil fuel producer ourselves, we would certainly be taking more from the Russians.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mosin said:

was covid brexits fault?, Was the war in Ukraine brexit fault too?

No, don’t think so. Don’t know the point you’re making. Brexiters seem awfully defensive. Seems like they know they’ve been duped but unwilling to acknowledge the fact they were.

Remind me of the benefits again? 🤔

• Like 2

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/may/04/brexit-study-reveals-impact-britons-in-eu?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

That'll learn them. How dare Brits leave good old Blighty to experience living and travelling in the EU. Traitors the lot of them.

As for the ones who fraternised with the dirty, garlic munching locals and even married them ... well they are beneath contempt. Good ole Nigel.

• Like 1

On 03/05/2022 at 15:31, Warriorsaint said:

No, don’t think so. Don’t know the point you’re making. Brexiters seem awfully defensive. Seems like they know they’ve been duped but unwilling to acknowledge the fact they were.

Not really duped into any thing, i voted to leave as i thought it would be better for my self ( I dont vote for any one but my self ), and it has benefitted my self, my wife, and kids and here i am earning just under 3 times as much post brexit In the same job with the same company who was againts leaving the EU ( wonder why ), my working conditions are improving ( With loads more investment in facilitys to come.), and instead of being replaceable and in no position to negotiate for a better wage, im valued so much they offered me a huge incress in wage trying thei best they could to keep me and now treat me with the respect i deserve i am now so valued i was even being offered jobs when i stopped at services for number 2's, no interviews, no nothing, just the fact i drove an HGV was enough...  i even get paid for stoppages now eg sitting waiting to be loaded and unloaded and paid extra for sleeping in my cabin if im forced too ( Mostly because im forced to wait to be unloaded and loaded...). so for me personally, it was a huge success..... not only that, but since brexit, the company has started training new drivers again, for the first time in over 20 years ive seen the place i work at actually training new HGV drivers from its LOCAL area onsite.

I acknowledge not all are better off, so why cant remainers also acknowledge not all was rosy for everybody while we was in the EU.

On 03/05/2022 at 15:31, Warriorsaint said:

In the real world most sensible people accept that it's happened and just get on with it. We left, and probably shouldn't, but it's happened.

Remind me of the benefits of continually saying "I was right, you were wrong". It ain't gonna change a thing. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mosin said:

Not really duped into any thing, i voted to leave as i thought it would be better for my self ( I dont vote for any one but my self ), and it has benefitted my self, my wife, and kids and here i am earning just under 3 times as much post brexit In the same job with the same company who was againts leaving the EU ( wonder why ), my working conditions are improving ( With loads more investment in facilitys to come.), and instead of being replaceable and in no position to negotiate for a better wage, im valued so much they offered me a huge incress in wage trying thei best they could to keep me and now treat me with the respect i deserve i am now so valued i was even being offered jobs when i stopped at services for number 2's, no interviews, no nothing, just the fact i drove an HGV was enough...  i even get paid for stoppages now eg sitting waiting to be loaded and unloaded and paid extra for sleeping in my cabin if im forced too ( Mostly because im forced to wait to be unloaded and loaded...). so for me personally, it was a huge success..... not only that, but since brexit, the company has started training new drivers again, for the first time in over 20 years ive seen the place i work at actually training new HGV drivers from its LOCAL area onsite.

I acknowledge not all are better off, so why cant remainers also acknowledge not all was rosy for everybody while we was in the EU.

There are many whose reasons for voting leave revolved around vague notions of sovereignty, tin-pot nationalism and barely concealed racism. What you portray panders to none of those. Here is a rational argument for why you voted to leave and from what you say there are notable positives. I voted the opposite for reasons that were personal to me. Retirement within the EU was high priority at the time and so freedom of movement was important. Am I better or worse of? Hard to tell. Freedom of movement has been sorted by an Irish passport and retirement, say to Greece, is no longer relevant without my wife who I lost to cancer in December. Bottom line is, things have moved on. We've left. I am sure in the future some form of closer alignment will be sorted out, but politically and ideologically that's not possible at this moment in time. Any backsliding by the Tories plays into the hands of that idiot going up and down the Channel looking for migrant boats on a daily basis. Any notion of re-joining by Labour makes them more unelectable than they possibly are. Catch 22.

Edited by Winnersaint
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, egg said:

In the real world most sensible people accept that it's happened and just get on with it. We left, and probably shouldn't, but it's happened.

Remind me of the benefits of continually saying "I was right, you were wrong". It ain't gonna change a thing. 

Again, awfully defensive. Accepting and moving on. That’s not how it works. Pointing out it’s folly is the only way to hold it to account so those with short memories don’t forget

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

Again, awfully defensive. Accepting and moving on. That’s not how it works. Pointing out it’s folly is the only way to hold it to account so those with short memories don’t forget

'Pointing out folly' has ALWAYS been way more effective and productive than campaigning to rejoin.

15 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

There's nothing defensive in acknowledging that we probably shouldn't have left, but the smug "I was right, you were wrong"  is unnecessarily confrontational...and ultimately achieves nothing.

I've moved on from brexit. We all have to. Give it a try.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, egg said:

There's nothing defensive in acknowledging that we probably shouldn't have left, but the smug "I was right, you were wrong"  is unnecessarily confrontational...and ultimately achieves nothing.

I've moved on from brexit. We all have to. Give it a try.

For some it's not possible to move on. Their lives have been affected, some very badly.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

For some it's not possible to move on. Their lives have been affected, some very badly.

I disagree Whitey. Living in the past, or a version of reality that is preferable, achieves nothing positive. Brexit has impacted many, but everyone impacted has to move on and make the best of it. Sure, they can be resentful if they must, but that'll achieve nothing but more pain and strife. 

But Brexit is the vision of a group of middle aged guys living in the past, trying to recreate a false memory of some golden era that never existed.

Brexit is the political version of removing satellite tv, streaming services and dvds and going back back to 3 channels and very expensive top loader video players. People wouldn't be able to move on from that. I'm glad people are still fighting this political fuck up griffted by elite tory wide boys.

Brexit is so shit it's now an insult amoung the kids, my sons 11 year old football team were practicing penalties and one kid did the rubbish toe poke down the middle, the other kids laughed and called it a brexit penalty, I asked what that meant and they all shouted 'rubbish...shit...beyond ordinary'. The kids know.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, egg said:

I disagree Whitey. Living in the past, or a version of reality that is preferable, achieves nothing positive. Brexit has impacted many, but everyone impacted has to move on and make the best of it. Sure, they can be resentful if they must, but that'll achieve nothing but more pain and strife. 

Tell the fishermen, farmers and exporters of this country to move on when they lose businesses, homes, marriages. Just because it doesn’t affect you directly doesn’t mean there are millions affected.

Telling people to move on is just patronising.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Brexit is so shit it's now an insult amoung the kids, my sons 11 year old football team were practicing penalties and one kid did the rubbish toe poke down the middle, the other kids laughed and called it a brexit penalty, I asked what that meant and they all shouted 'rubbish...shit...beyond ordinary'. The kids know.

Its probably his generation that will see us back in. 

• Like 1

I think the chances of agreement on this issue were lost when small sections of each side either branded all Brexit voters as thick racists, when only some of them are, or blindly believed Boris Johnson and arrogantly told all Remainers that they were fucking traitors who hate their country and were wrong about everything. 

As soon as someone adopts the latter attitude, they should accept that when the promised unicorns don't appear in the sunny uplands and much of Project Fear arrives instead, creating billionaires out of multi-millionaires,  there may be questions to answer and mistakes to be admitted before they can move on.

The polite approach may be to accept that some Brexit voters were innocent victims of misinformation about saving the NHS, cheap energy etc, and trying to do the right thing - and as such were conned.

The real criminals are the ones who did the conning for their own personal gain, and have damaged the UK economy and reputation - and created division that will never heal.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

#didn’thappen 

30 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

Tell the fishermen, farmers and exporters of this country to move on when they lose businesses, homes, marriages. Just because it doesn’t affect you directly doesn’t mean there are millions affected.

I've never suggested that people haven't been impacted by it, but tell me what those fisherman, farmers and exporters achieve by complaining. There's no movement to rejoin, and no suggestion that we'd be welcomed back. 

You're the chief moaner on here. How have you been impacted personally? 

My Grandsons under 8’s were playing on Saturday. My grandson was told to play in defence but wandered up front. In the final minute he chased a through ball and smashed it into the net. Afterwards one of the players  called it a Brexit goal. When asked what that meant, he replied “he throw off the shackles and behaved independently, thought for himself and reaped the benefit”. The crowd cheered, and he was carried off the field shoulder high by the other players. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

My Grandsons under 8’s were playing on Saturday. My grandson was told to play in defence but wandered up front. In the final minute he chased a through ball and smashed it into the net. Afterwards one of the players  called it a Brexit goal. When asked what that meant, he replied “he throw off the shackles and behaved independently, thought for himself and reaped the benefit”. The crowd cheered, and he was carried off the field shoulder high by the other players. 

Don't give up the day job Ducky!

16 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Not just Pony, but utterly pathetic rain scalded worm-ridden Pony.

57 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

Many, if not most, farmers and fishermen voted Leave.

30 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

The real criminals are the ones who did the conning for their own personal gain, and have damaged the UK economy and reputation - and created division that will never heal.

Such as the Brexit Benefits Minister, who not only moved significant investment funds to Ireland to keep them inside the EU, but on appointment had to write an open letter asking for people to submit examples of what "benefits" Brexit was delivering. ( I suspect he is still waiting on a reply ).

28 minutes ago, egg said:

I've never suggested that people haven't been impacted by it, but tell me what those fisherman, farmers and exporters achieve by complaining. There's no movement to rejoin, and no suggestion that we'd be welcomed back. 

You're the chief moaner on here. How have you been impacted personally? 

There is no way we could go back on anything approaching the terms we had when we left. That horse  has bolted, and won't be coming back.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Didn’t happen muckraker.

No chance you are a grandfather. No progeny of yours could figure out the mechanics. Just another load of pony.

Edited by Warriorsaint

45 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

#didn’thappen 

100% did, strange thing to make up. Brexit is becoming a term like Poundshop or Lidl or BTEC, used in that context. Spend a short time kicking the ball in the garden with my boy and you'll hear the term. A Brexit penalty is lower on the pecking order than a Sean Dyche, a Sean Dyche is ordinary but effective, a brexit is ordinary and shit.

6 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

100% did, strange thing to make up. Brexit is becoming a term like Poundshop or Lidl or BTEC, used in that context. Spend a short time kicking the ball in the garden with my boy and you'll hear the term. A Brexit penalty is lower on the pecking order than a Sean Dyche, a Sean Dyche is ordinary but effective, a brexit is ordinary and shit.

So many things never happen in Duckie's world. It's his goto response to things he doesn't want to hear or admit to.

spacer.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Then the kids are clueless as I'm not 'from Weston', nor do I live 'in Weston'.

Turns out they 'don't know' after all :mcinnes:

You have manage to take a frivolous line of mine and string a couple of days of posts out of it. You would argue over anything, that's why you are a clueless cretin, but I like you.