Saints 1 Sunderland 1 Match Reaction

Heisenberg

Err except the performances were very different and we played different teams.

No they weren't we were terrible at the start of last season certainly not playing any better than we currently are. We drew with a team ultimately relegated, were destroyed at home by a terrible Everton team and err drew with Watford. Love how people are trying to re-write the beginning of last season.

No they weren't we were terrible at the start of last season certainly not playing any better than we currently are. We drew with a team ultimately relegated, were destroyed at home by a terrible Everton team and err drew with Watford. Love how people are trying to re-write the beginning of last season.

Disagree I'm afraid. We didn't play as badly against Newcastle. There are defficicnes in our performances largely imo because of the formation. I'm not rewriting anything and it's pretty patronising of you to suggest that is what is happening.

Err except the performances were very different and we played different teams.

Who said this pal after last season's result at watford (same team)?

Yet another abject performance this season bereft of entertainment. We seem to have lost our identity.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is worried about the direction our transfer dealings are taking us. You can't stand still in the prem, you should be looking to improve all the time and better teams than us have seen the wheels fall off in the past. It seems to me that not only have we not stood still, we have gone backwards from last year and we haven't used the transfer income nearly as well this season as we did last.

It's just not as satisfying to watch anymore. That team that came up was ours and we could be rightly proud of them. A group who came up through the leagues together and who I think all saints fans felt close to. It may just be me but I struggle to have the same affinity with some of the mediocrity we have bought in. The likes of Tadic just do not have the same potential as some of those.

Other than the European games which have been great, I've struggled to watch the first three games of this season and that's partly due to what I've already outlined (abd because our okay has been dire).

:rolleyes:

Edited by shurlock

True and it was not long before Koeman was "2 games from the chop"

Indeed. He was two games from the chop around December time, IIRC. But reading here the last few days you'd think we were some all conquering megateam week in week out under the last manager.

It might still all turn out fine under Peulis*

*it might not turn out fine.

To put things into a bit of perspective, we looked much closer to being a good team than Sunderland or Watford. A Watford supporting mate said we should have battered them and Sunderland barely troubled us other than Defoe suckering Fonte into that penalty.

We look better in defence, even without Bertrand, than we did at Newcastle and at home to Everton last year. We've also created some decent chances, which we failed to do in the 0-0 at Watford.

West Ham, the self proclaimed 'big team' in London, have faired little better so far. They looked no better against Chelsea and City than we did at Utd, where we were hardly battered. They got a late win at home to a very poor, 10-man Bompey.

Indeed. He was two games from the chop around December time, IIRC. But reading here the last few days you'd think we were some all conquering megateam week in week out under the last manager.

It might still all turn out fine under Peulis*

*it might not turn out fine.

And the myths begin..how do you know he was two games from the sack? Quoting your opinion as fact again?

To put things into a bit of perspective, we looked much closer to being a good team than Sunderland or Watford. A Watford supporting mate said we should have battered them and Sunderland barely troubled us other than Defoe suckering Fonte into that penalty.

We look better in defence, even without Bertrand, than we did at Newcastle and at home to Everton last year. We've also crated some decent chances, which we failed to do in the 0-0 at Watford.

West Ham, the self proclaimed 'big team' in London, have faired little better so far. They looked no better against Chelsea and City than we did at Utd, where we were hardly battered. They got a late win at home to a very poor, 10-man Bompey.

TBF the reason we look better in defence is that we have VVD this year and didn't for the start last year. Once he was in and settled we have been much better.

And the myths begin..how do you know he was two games from the sack? Quoting your opinion as fact again?

TBF it was being widely rumoured by ITKs and some press outlets. Not gospel but managers have been sacked for a lot less than 8 defeats (and a draw at home to Villa) in 10 games.

That's exactly what happened. And yes, we have a manager who can't communicate with the players. And, after four weeks of trying I'm not sure he's going to be able to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it seems the players have already concluded it's probably best just to take no notice of him:

http://soccer-rumours.com/?story=35&buying=23&selling=3&player=1

It amazes me that people think the defence is fine. Jose does not want to be here (or is far off match fitness) and has been at fault for so much. Zlatan's goal, Defoe pen and numerous other near misses... he is currently more of a liability than Yoshi. Target is solid going forward but gets dicked defensively by anyone with speed. Romeu is not a solid CDM, whilst I rate him at driving forward, he loses the ball a lot more than wanyama defensively and does not win enough tackles. Then we can't score.

The board have screwed up this summer spectacularly. We are poor ATM and don't seem to enter the opposition box and rely on 30ysrd shots 90% of the time. Very worrying times for the first 3 games. My only hope is that the quick passing and movement up front will click and we will become dangerous. We are awful so far though.

That said the fans should not be booking yet. We had our best ever Prem finish last year. Now after 2 draws and a loss at the champions elect we have fans booing. Really hoped we were better than that as a fanbase and it certainly isn't the players/coaches fault. Blame should be placed at Reed's feet if fans want to vent dissatisfaction.

TBF it was being widely rumoured by ITKs and some press outlets. Not gospel but managers have been sacked for a lot less than 8 defeats (and a draw at home to Villa) in 10 games.

If he was two games from the sack why then did we offer him a new contract only 4 months later? I think the ITKs are contradicting themselves here somewhere?

I am Struggling slightly with this Diamond formation to be honest , a good coach should be adaptive he should adjust to the strengths of his squad and sometimes the opposition .

Currently for me we seem to be playing a mish mash of styles and the players appear to be be struggling with it , there are times when we look look woefully narrow and then suddenly switch play opens the width ....at times it looks like the players a winging it .

Either its Morphing into what Puel wants slowly or it really is a mish mash of style which will only go one way i am afraid , Tadic is best on the left and redmond on the right end of , if you have Boufal he plays in the middle .....but how that fits with the Puel system which frankly is not a diamond its currently a mes i dont know . Personal opinion only of course

Did you watch the following four months?

That's crazy..so 8 poor games and the manager is about to be sacked..with us no where near being in relegation trouble and no real benefit of sacking him before the end of the season?

then a good few months and the club Offer him an extended deal and pay rise? That makes very little sense..especially for a club which is supposedly so advanced with their plans, next 4 managers etc etc... Or are we saying actually we make it up as we go along, swinging from sacking someone to offering a new contracts in the space of less than half a season?

Or perhaps (much more likely) in reality he wasn't two games from the sack at all?

That's crazy..so 8 poor games and the manager is about to be sacked..with us no where near being in relegation trouble and no real benefit of sacking him before the end of the season?

then a good few months and the club Offer him an extended deal and pay rise? That makes very little sense..especially for a club which is supposedly so advanced with their plans, next 4 managers etc etc... Or are we saying actually we make it up as we go along, swinging from sacking someone to offering a new contracts in the space of less than half a season?

Or perhaps (much more likely) in reality he wasn't two games from the sack at all?

:lol: Leeds have been through 3 different managers in half a season, why is it so hard to believe?

If you really believe what you're saying, try being crap at your own job for 2 months. I think your boss may have a rather unpleasant surprise for you.

Same result as last year but a much better performance, highlighted by the fact that the Sunderland Chronicle picked Jordan Pickford as man of the match :

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jordan-pickford-sunderlands-man-match-11812365?

In last year's game we had to rely on a VVD injury time equaliser to rescue us after a really poor performance.

We also started with 2 points after 3 games last year and had an absolute horror run mid-season so let's not pretend that the 4-2-3-1 always worked for us. It clearly didn't at times which is why RK changed to 3 at the back on multiple occasions.

Also, I would like to point out that in our current run of form, if you include pre season, we have only lost 1 game out of 15, that's 1 game out of 15, and that was at Old Trafford against a star-studded Mourinho Man U.

We have a new system, new manager and some exciting new talent (Boufal is seriously talented), which has great potential but is very young. Think we're at the very start of a journey here. Show some patience and give the team a chance to refine the system and make it click before you write it and them off.

:lol: Leeds have been through 3 different managers in half a season, why is it so hard to believe?

If you really believe what you're saying, try being crap at your own job for 2 months. I think your boss may have a rather unpleasant surprise for you.

I thought we were different to clubs like Leeds who make snap (mental) decisions and pay the price for that...I suppose what you are saying is actually we are the same as everyone else- the Southampton way is 8 poor games and you are out (because we forget everything else you have done prior to that) but have a good run and we will forget that completely (as our memory is only about what happened recently) and give you a new contract with a pay rise. I really don't know what the inner sanctum at St Mary's is like so Fair enough it could be as you are describing......I still think that that is absolute madness if true...

And in my job if I had two really poor months and then 4 good there is no way my boss would forget those 2 months and give me a pay rise just because of one good quarter. He would be looking at the whole year and saying to me "you are still lucky to have a job after those two months earlier this year so no pay rise for you sunshine!".

I thought we were different to clubs like Leeds who make snap (mental) decisions and pay the price for that...I suppose what you are saying is actually we are the same as everyone else- the Southampton way is 8 poor games and you are out (because we forget everything else you have done prior to that) but have a good run and we will forget that completely (as our memory is only about what happened recently) and give you a new contract with a pay rise. I really don't know what the inner sanctum at St Mary's is like so Fair enough it could be as you are describing......I still think that that is absolute madness if true...

And in my job if I had two really poor months and then 4 good there is no way my boss would forget those 2 months and give me a pay rise just because of one good quarter. He would be looking at the whole year and saying to me "you are still lucky to have a job after those two months earlier this year so no pay rise for you sunshine!".

In fairness it wasn't just that 8 games. It was a season where we'd crashed out of the Europa League with a whimper (when the board clearly wanted us to take it seriously) and looked like we weren't even going to get close. Pelle getting injured and Longs outstanding form saved Koemans job.

Who said this pal after last season's result at watford (same team)?

:rolleyes:

Don't associate Hypo as full on bed wetter but like it when someone has the time to expose previous stuff. Naturally we can all change opinion of course.

Never knew all these negative fckers used to be so positive and happy with all our performances previously and is only now they are hysterical.

We seem to have collected a lot of Piers Morgan type fans who have no perspective whatsoever but can offer simple fixes as to how we simply should be winning every game in style.

We have a new system, new manager and some exciting new talent (Boufal is seriously talented), which has great potential but is very young. Think we're at the very start of a journey here. Show some patience and give the team a chance to refine the system and make it click before you write it and them off.

Did I miss Boufal signing? Has his injury suddenly healed and he is fit to play?

There are some seriously deluded people on here that claim not to be able to see that we are not OK this season. Yes we were poor last season early on with RK and also around Christmas, but being poor now does not mean all is well because all was well last season. RK got things working well eventually by going against what the Club wanted, changing style and tactics and upsetting the Board, eventually costing him his job. Does it look like CP will do the same? Does it heck as like. Our back 5 has not changed but we have lost the defensive shield that was Vic (I like Romeu but he is not Vic and at the moment seems to be struggling in this role). We have lost out creative spark, and no sign at the moment of that being replaced in the next few games at least. Its going to be a long hard season.

Did I miss Boufal signing? Has his injury suddenly healed and he is fit to play?

There are some seriously deluded people on here that claim not to be able to see that we are not OK this season. Yes we were poor last season early on with RK and also around Christmas, but being poor now does not mean all is well because all was well last season. RK got things working well eventually by going against what the Club wanted, changing style and tactics and upsetting the Board, eventually costing him his job. Does it look like CP will do the same? Does it heck as like. Our back 5 has not changed but we have lost the defensive shield that was Vic (I like Romeu but he is not Vic and at the moment seems to be struggling in this role). We have lost out creative spark, and no sign at the moment of that being replaced in the next few games at least. Its going to be a long hard season.

How the hell did it cost him his job he was offered a new contract that would of made him the best paid saints manager in the clubs history he instead chose another contract that was even better paid than that. I haven't seen one person suggest that being poor now will result in all being well later but equally a new manager with some new players having some early season poor games (which weren't any more poor as the first three fixtures last season) doesn't mean it's going to be a poor season either. Those pointing out our poor start last season are merely pointing out that three games into the season is way to early to making a judgement either way....

The defensive shield that conceded in the last twelve matches of last season?

Edited by The9

The time to worry isn't when we fail to take our chances against Watford and Sunderland, it's when we're getting out played by those teams. 4 years ago when we were being outplayed at home by Wigan and letting in 6 at the Emirates, that was what I found worrying. When we had Guly and Seaborne on the bench, instead of Long and Yoshi.

The defensive shield that conceded in the last twelve matches of last season?

No the defensive shield who did not play in 4 of those games because he was suspended (and played 45 minutes in 2 more). Came on at half-time when we were 2 down to Liverpool, which we won 3-2. Also the 9 clean sheets that we kept when he started.

No the defensive shield who did not play in 4 of those games because he was suspended (and played 45 minutes in 2 more). Came on at half-time when we were 2 down to Liverpool, which we won 3-2. Also the 9 clean sheets that we kept when he started.
The unreliable defensive shield then?