Air / Ferry / Train Strikes In Italy On The 21st - For All Those Going To Milan

Gemmel

FAO Saints fans due to fly home from Milan on Friday 21st, information here (in Italian) on flights in respect of the transport strike in Italy.

All flights between the hours of 07.00 - 10.00 and 18.00 - 21.00 are protected and should all depart as normal (although I imagine the ones between 18.00 - 21.00 will be subject to delays, morning flights may be OK).

If you're flying in between those hours be prepared for delays/cancellations as the strike will include Italian Air Traffic Control.

http://www.enac.gov.it/repository/ContentManagement/node/N1368939924/Voli_garantiti_sciopero_21_ottobre_2016.pdf

This is useful, thanks.

I guess the point is that it doesn't follow that non-guaranteed services will necessarily be disrupted. It's still not clear exactly who is striking.

FAO Saints fans due to fly home from Milan on Friday 21st, information here (in Italian) on flights in respect of the transport strike in Italy.

All flights between the hours of 07.00 - 10.00 and 18.00 - 21.00 are protected and should all depart as normal (although I imagine the ones between 18.00 - 21.00 will be subject to delays, morning flights may be OK).

If you're flying in between those hours be prepared for delays/cancellations as the strike will include Italian Air Traffic Control.

http://www.enac.gov.it/repository/ContentManagement/node/N1368939924/Voli_garantiti_sciopero_21_ottobre_2016.pdf

My flight is at 10:25...

This is useful, thanks.

I guess the point is that it doesn't follow that non-guaranteed services will necessarily be disrupted. It's still not clear exactly who is striking.

What I find strange is BA are still telling me they know nothing about it . Not " we're not sure which flights are effected " , but " we haven't received any information about any strike " .

What I find strange is BA are still telling me they know nothing about it . Not " we're not sure which flights are effected " , but " we haven't received any information about any strike " .

Agreed, just bizarre that so many of the airlines seem to just have no knowledge of the strikes - even when I suggested the person I was speaking to just simply google "Italian strikes friday 21st october".

I'm wondering if there's any legal reason they're not allowed to acknowledge strike action, from a compensation point of view? Seems a bit weird that the information is so readily available but all the airlines seem to know nothing about it.

I'm wondering if there's any legal reason they're not allowed to acknowledge strike action, from a compensation point of view? Seems a bit weird that the information is so readily available but all the airlines seem to know nothing about it.

You can't get compo for strike action by air traffic control as they don't work for the airline . Compo is only paid if your flight is the day after a strike.The airline are responsible the next day even if "strike knock on "is the cause of the delay or cancellation .

You can't get compo for strike action by air traffic control as they don't work for the airline . Compo is only paid if your flight is the day after a strike.The airline are responsible the next day even if "strike knock on "is the cause of the delay or cancellation .

Ah ok, so what is the likely scenario when there are strikes then, do the airlines keep us waiting at the airport until they can fulfil the delayed flight or do they tell us all to come back at a later time? If the flight is delayed until the next day I assume we have to pay for accommodation ourselves and claim it back on insurance?

Ah ok, so what is the likely scenario when there are strikes then, do the airlines keep us waiting at the airport until they can fulfil the delayed flight or do they tell us all to come back at a later time? If the flight is delayed until the next day I assume we have to pay for accommodation ourselves and claim it back on insurance?

The airline is still responsible for providing food and drink, accommodation, travel to/from airport etc. even if a strike is the cause of the delay. So, effectively, "expenses" are still their responsibility.

What they don't need to do, if the delay is caused by a strike, is pay additional compensation.

Very little information is available on the actual strike but the fact that it will involve air traffic control and ground staff in Italian airports is a big concern and will mean delays at the very minimum. I expect trouble. 2 or 3 hour delays in these circumstances would not be unusual in Italy. I'm going to check with my carrier Alitalia when I arrive on the Milan side to see what their status is on Flights as they will have the best picture of what's going to happen rather than the UK side. Even then, I wouldn't trust them unconditionally if they said there was no problem. I wouldn't take anything but Cabin Luggage as putting luggage in hold seems to be always a big problem when any strike takes place in Italian airports.

I going to try to have a contingency plan if the carrier haven't got an idea if my flight is affected. Be good to check if your hotel has availability on the Friday night and get a tentative booking and price agreed just to be safe.

Those going via Malpensa, it's some way out of town and takes a long train journey to get there. Be good to check if the trains are running for that as the Taxis will cost quite some.

I going to try to have a contingency plan if the carrier haven't got an idea if my flight is affected. Be good to check if your hotel has availability on the Friday night and get a tentative booking and price agreed just to be safe.

if you go down that route you will probably end up paying for the hotel rather than the airline, who will be responsible for not only finding you a new flight but also putting you up in a hotel (plus refreshments).

Personally I wouldn't try to second guess the airlines as these situations are very fluid.

From ATM (Milan equivalent of TFL):

For Friday 21st October the USB trade union has called out a national general 24-hour strike whose terms vary from city to city, as communicated today morning to our Company.

In Milan the strike is planned from 8.45 to 15.00 and from 18.00 to the end of the service.

http://www.atm.it/en/ViaggiaConNoi/InfoTraffico/Pages/Friday21stOctobernationalgeneralstrike.aspx

That doesn't necessarily mean trains won't run though. It's optional for USB union members.

Just got an 8-hour train to Paris from Garibaldi Station, and have a flight from Charles de Gaulle Airport to City Airport. Cost me an extra £250 to book it, but have to be back in England today. Bunch of arse. Particularly as the flights from Milan to Gatwick may well be fine, but I couldn't chance it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone know if the strikes gone ahead as planned?

Here's the people who run the underground network in Milan saying that everything is running as normal. Which having read up on the strike before today, was entirely predictable.

But hey, there's some dins spending 8 hours at an airport that think they've beaten the system.

You sure about that?

As sure as what the info was yesterday. No transportation after 9. If there's replacement buses etc or if the trains do go then that's great. But would prefer to be sure. Our flight was supposed to be at 11-35 so getting to the airport at 9 was not really an issue anyway. But it's now at 13-45 because the heathrow flight hasn't left yet. But they are saying the gate is open so that's a positive. Without a plane here we would really be in trouble. Quietly optimistic of leaving today.

As sure as what the info was yesterday. No transportation after 9. If there's replacement buses etc or if the trains do go then that's great. But would prefer to be sure. Our flight was supposed to be at 11-35 so getting to the airport at 9 was not really an issue anyway. But it's now at 13-45 because the heathrow flight hasn't left yet. But they are saying the gate is open so that's a positive. Without a plane here we would really be in trouble. Quietly optimistic of leaving today.

No one said yesterday that there wasn't any transportation after nine.

They said that was when the strike was planned for. It was one union and it was never going to be a strike where everyone participated. The tubes are running.

No one said yesterday that there wasn't any transportation after nine.

They said that was when the strike was planned for. It was one union and it was never going to be a strike where everyone participated. The tubes are running.

You obviously missed all the signs in the airport then.

If you listen to Joe Bloggs on the street then maybe, but nothing official said that.

I did but I bet they said what I'm saying they did rather than what you think they said.

The tubes are running. Sorry about that.

The signs st The Malpensa Express and what the guy told me. But if it makes you feel better in your little world, good for you. .

Got the 0955 Malpensa express, all running as normal and no issues at all. I have also as yet not seen one flight come up as delayed on the departure board, that's not to say there won't be as you hear a tannoy message every half an hour or so mentioning the strike and stating that some flights potentially could be delayed, fingers crossed!