Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/07/28/southampton-determined-keep-virgil-van-dijk-plan-reintegrate/ The club have spoken via Wilson..

Dropped in at the end of the article is a bit about transfers - we are looking to make a couple of additions and Wimmer is mentioned. So we could be looking at VVD partnering wimmer instead of replacing him..

No it wasn't. The freaks on RAWK are going through Monk's history to establish his ITK credentials. I thought only Trousers aka Mr Bump did that.

Since when have I ever done that?

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?24897-Saints-V-Rochdale-build-up#.WXtbtYgrLdM

We're at home, so would like to know what happens if we either drop or Hammond or Schneiderlin and play the Guly in the right position, at least giving him a decent run-out before people start judging. Though he had a dodgy preseason, I think Dickson has been terrific and am hopeful that we not miss Lalllana as much as some fear. He can get to the byline in a way others, even AL cannot.

Kel

Butterfield Fonte Martin Harding

Schneiderlin or Hammond

Puncheon Guly Dickson

Lambert Connolly

Edited by trousers

Interesting to note at the tail of that report that we are still looking to bring in a couple of players

And if one of them is really Wimmer and we're set on keeping VvD you'd think that Yoshida or Stephens or both won't be seen much in the starting XI. Not even to mention new Polish bloke. Why would we need 5 centre backs or 6 if you still believe Gardos has something to offer.

And if one of them is really Wimmer and we're set on keeping VvD you'd think that Yoshida or Stephens or both won't be seen much in the starting XI. Not even to mention new Polish bloke. Why would we need 5 centre backs or 6 if you still believe Gardos has something to offer.

Gardos needs moving on sharpish

As I said. No change. We aren't selling him to the dippers or anyone else.

Have City pretty much accepted he's not for sale then?

Shame if they have as I really think given the attitude he's shown, we should have sold on and reinforced our starting 11 with the £70m.

I'd be pretty happy for him to move on to pretty much anyone but Liverpool (oh and Everton and Tottenham) if I'm honest.

I haven't had an update since Monday or Tuesday but the news then was that the player was open to staying provided Saints made good on their promises to keep the best players at th club and add quality to the squad in order to push on.

His transfer was in the balance and still being explored but there was definitely an option to keep him and reintegrate him. I had heard that four clubs were back in - City, Chelsea (even though previously they said they wouldn't be), Liverpool and Arsenal, and that Liverpool were by no means the only option he was open to.

Haven't heard any more since then though.

I haven't had an update since Monday or Tuesday but the news then was that the player was open to staying provided Saints made good on their promises to keep the best players at th club and add quality to the squad in order to push on.

His transfer was in the balance and still being explored but there was definitely an option to keep him and reintegrate him. I had heard that four clubs were back in - City, Chelsea (even though previously they said they wouldn't be), Liverpool and Arsenal, and that Liverpool were by no means the only option he was open to.

Man bearing good news will receive universal praise as opposed to the traditional pelters for bad news.

So for saints to keep their promise to VVD they basically need to force him to see out his full contract and keep their best player.....happy days.

That seems like a decent enough development to me. Lots of ups and downs in the thread today.

After attacking Tom28 last week and being spectacularly wrong, I am refraining from commenting...

Obviously, I hope Monk is wrong, but he has been one of the most reliable.

On the other hand, VFTT, who has also been pretty reliable, is saying the opposite.

We should have an ITK World Cup competition or something

What we should say to him is, sorry 5 years left you aren't going this year. Stay with us this summer and we will promise to let you go in a year or even in January we aren't pulling up any trees (near top 4/ in EFL semi final) if your asking price is met. Sulk or strike if you want (but it's world cup year and it's your career :D:smug:)

What we should say to him is, sorry 5 years left you aren't going this year. Stay with us this summer and we will promise to let you go in a year or even in January we aren't pulling up any trees (near top 4/ in EFL semi final) if your asking price is met. Sulk or strike if you want (but it's world cup year and it's your career :D:smug:)

Easy to say when it isn't your money.

we have history in this. Remember when Les threatened legal action against Atletico Madrid.....

that died off quickly

basically, we manage people out of the club well, this time it is out of our hands it seems and we have failed to 'manage' the press as we have done previously

It died off quickly because Toby didn't want to sign for us. The club had a binding contract under which AM was required to sell Toby to us under certain conditions which we met. The club believed, based upon what Toby had told them, that he wanted to sign for us. When Toby told the club that he wanted to sign for Tottenham, it ended because, of course, we couldn't force him to sign for us if he didn't want to. The fault in that escapade is that Toby didn't tell the club where he wanted to go during the initial part of the figgermorall.

Edited by Redslo