Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

Liverpool ramp up Virgil van Dijk chase as Southampton prepare for his exit with £12m bid for Lazio's Wesley Hoedt:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4747206/Liverpool-ramp-Virgil-van-Dijk-chase.html

Yet another case of headline being unrelated to article below! In what way are Liverpool "ramping up" their chase for Van Dijk?

Interested to know if the bit about talks with the Lazio defender are true though.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Wouldn't be bothered about VVD p!sssing off for £70m*if we could bring in a quality replacement such as Hoedt or Christensen from Chelsea for a fraction of the fee, and have some over for a couple of other decent recruits.

*but not to Liverpool.

So virgil staying?

That's not what he said. He said he'll be intergrated back into the squad, ie no longer on strike I would guess.

The longer this drags on the more confident I am that he'll stay, however with Coutinho looking almost certain to go to Barca, they'll have the funds to make us an offer we cannot refuse.

I'm not sure if VVD returning to the squad means he's staying, but nor would I think that his continued exclusion means that he's def. going. His re-integration would be good news though - the club would be in a stronger position to reject Liverpool and may even have a shot at getting him match fit for the start of the season.

That's not what he said. He said he'll be intergrated back into the squad, ie no longer on strike I would guess.

The longer this drags on the more confident I am that he'll stay, however with Coutinho looking almost certain to go to Barca, they'll have the funds to make us an offer we cannot refuse.

But if Coutinho bunks off (he's not for sale though!!) will LFC use the money to replace him or do they already have a replacement in Salah?

Could still go. But will start training with the team again. The Hoedt rumour is true apparently; he's a target. Don't know if it's contingent on VVD leaving or not though.

Personal guess would be that he would only be a target if VVD goes. I can't see the club stockpiling 6 CB's.

Is it almost certain that Coutinho will leave though ? Can't help but think that having publicly failed to sign Keita, if they also lose Coutinho then signing VVD at whatever the cost is suddenly the best face saving option for them.

Is it almost certain that Coutinho will leave though ? Can't help but think that having publicly failed to sign Keita, if they also lose Coutinho then signing VVD at whatever the cost is suddenly the best face saving option for them.

If Coutinho goes, Liverpool will have to make a massive statement signing (or 2).

If it is VVD, I want it to happen sooner rather than later.

Klopp said that Coutinho is not for sale at his press conference today.

Stockpiling 6 CBs. Well Gardos hasn't exactly shaken things up. If we only have room for 5, then one might think of replacing Gardos.

It would probably leave a VVD - Hoedt pairing as the starters, with Yoshi and Stephens on the bench, Bednarek in the U23s for development, and Gardos...somewhere. It could also mean that Hoedt is a VVD replacement, in the event VVD leaves in a subsequent window, much like Austin was signed a window before Pelle's departure.

Hoedt sounds like he'd be an excellent signing but I was hoping that Stephens would get a good long run alongside VVD this season.

Klopp said that Coutinho is not for sale at his press conference today.

I had read something to the effect over the weekend, which is why I raised the question in case SKD had some further news.

But as Klopp might be aware it is difficult tokeep a player once his heas is turned.

OK..that's where you and I differ then...if that's what you find amusing no wonder you like their fans.

Where did I say that I liked their fans? Does one have to like the Liverpool fans particularly if one acknowledges that some of them have a reasonable sense of humour? No doubt it is only a matter of a few hours before we start to see the tweets from them suggesting that they sign Hoedt now instead of in a years time, in order to save time and money.

This is rather interesting take on it.

As a result, the reporter believes Liverpool’s patient approach could pay dividends.

“Man City have been linked but spent their money elsewhere. Chelsea signed Antonio Rudiger. There aren’t many obvious suitors,” Marcotti told ESPN FC.

“Liverpool are doing the right thing waiting this out and getting a price that they are comfortable with.”

http://www.bing.com/cr?IG=AA6587E7D6EA4A1FAD976A96C4246FDF&CID=161F458E320C648E34CE4F4133CD6549&rd=1&h=grmG72GHhuY49K9P8xhz_0hWat7OQHsq6HIjDDzAC5I&v=1&r=http%3a%2f%2fwww.thesportreview.com%2ftsr%2f2017%2f07%2fliverpool-fc-transfer-news-virgil-van-dijk-approach-gabriele-marcotti%2f&p=DevEx,5043.1

This is rather interesting take on it.

As a result, the reporter believes Liverpool’s patient approach could pay dividends.

“Man City have been linked but spent their money elsewhere. Chelsea signed Antonio Rudiger. There aren’t many obvious suitors,” Marcotti told ESPN FC.

“Liverpool are doing the right thing waiting this out and getting a price that they are comfortable with.”

http://www.bing.com/cr?IG=AA6587E7D6EA4A1FAD976A96C4246FDF&CID=161F458E320C648E34CE4F4133CD6549&rd=1&h=grmG72GHhuY49K9P8xhz_0hWat7OQHsq6HIjDDzAC5I&v=1&r=http%3a%2f%2fwww.thesportreview.com%2ftsr%2f2017%2f07%2fliverpool-fc-transfer-news-virgil-van-dijk-approach-gabriele-marcotti%2f&p=DevEx,5043.1

This is another idiotic piece based on the premise that we have to sell and will drop the price as the window progresses with little interest.

Utterly lazy journalism (?). Completely misses the fact that Saints have said not for sale, presumably because everyone knows we are a selling club.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

This is another idiotic piece based on the premise that we have to sell and will drop the price as the window progresses with little interest.

Utterly lazy journalism (?). Completely misses the fact that Saints have said not for sale, presumably because everyone knows we are a selling club.

No matter what the clubs intentions if we sell him in this window this perception in the media will just be reinforced.

I really think we don't want to sell but it's all going to really depend on his attitude in the run up to the first game..

It also misses the point that Liverpool have stated they won't bid for VVD unless saints give them the green light to.

Edited by doddisalegend

I'm increasingly convinced that the media know this very well, realise that Saints don't want to sell Virgil, recognise that Liverpool can't make an approach without our consent, so that only leaves one conclusion that I can reach. They keep on raking over these dying embers solely as click bait or for newspaper sales, as the poor sops who support Liverpool lap it all up. Their fans' sense of entitlement means that they are gullible enough to believe that they will get the deal over the line, that it isn't a matter of how, but when.

If there's either a possibility he will leave (to anyone, maybe another club will show interest), or he's not in the right frame of mind, it makes sense not to have him with the rest of the squad, either being a disruptive influence or being privy to all our plans/routines for the season.

I'm not going to assert that "He's not leaving! Definitely not to Liverpool!" because it will be even more galling if it does happen. I think the only thing this development shows is that he hasn't 'accepted' he is staying. As Cartman alludes to above, we might not see him until September if he isn't sold, as he'll probably need some time at the back end of August to 'reintegrate' and learn all the things the others are running through at the moment.

Perhaps we can all club together and pay Tom28s subs!
I thought that as well, it would be good if Steve waved his sub as he really seems to have insight into the club. There again he may just like teasing us and might not post anymore

Hoedt is a lefty isn't he? Unlikely to be Fonte's replacement as surely he would play on the right side of the two CB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we are sensible, we would bring him (or another) in this season and play him next to VvD to bed him in for when he becomes his replacement next year.

Change of plan. Not training with team. Club decision. That's my 3 posts done for 24 hours....

It's a battle of wills and I hope the club hold their nerve, VVD isn't in a strong position here, and I'd like to see the club put down a marker that we won't be pushed around by players, agents and Liverpool. His head will come around (just like Morgan's and Victor's) once the window closes and he faces a season, in the prime of his career, on the side lines.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I really cannot understand why we just don't say sod it, sod him and sell him !

To put it mildly, he is a disruptive influence around the club now and his stroppy teenager attitude is not going to change anytime soon. How can we entrust a place in the team (never mind as captain) to somebody throwing toys out of his pram.

We need a stable, well drilled team all playing for the new manager right now, and that is something that will send us into having a far more successful season than a disjointed squad dancing to the tune of one individual and probably causing resentment among his team mates.

I don't case how good he is as a player - Either Fit In or Feck Off.... !!

We will get a hefty price for him and be able to replace him with 2 or 3 bloody good players that will strengthen our squad, and keep the highly important team spirit at the right (high) level...

He had better not be going to scousers after all the club statements...

Totally agree 100% as do every Saints fan I know...anyone but them even if it means 5-10m less we will still be making a massive profit on him.

We can't replace a player of that ability but we can certainly get in someone who can do a very good job that won't cause the same stress to

our new manager who has enough to worry about in his first season.

It seems going by our lack of activity and sale of club things may not be going well - the Virgil money changes that.

We still need a better spine in the team and the money we get can improve that against a player that doesn't want to be here - isn't fit and hasn't played since January.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I really cannot understand why we just don't say sod it, sod him and sell him !

To put it mildly, he is a disruptive influence around the club now and his stroppy teenager attitude is not going to change anytime soon. How can we entrust a place in the team (never mind as captain) to somebody throwing toys out of his pram.

We need a stable, well drilled team all playing for the new manager right now, and that is something that will send us into having a far more successful season than a disjointed squad dancing to the tune of one individual and probably causing resentment among his team mates.

I don't case how good he is as a player - Either Fit In or Feck Off.... !!

We will get a hefty price for him and be able to replace him with 2 or 3 bloody good players that will strengthen our squad, and keep the highly important team spirit at the right (high) level...

2 things.

First one it signals to the other players we will back down in the end.

Second, We will not bring in 2/3 bloody good players because we don't.

Probably buy average players to develop and sell for a profit or another squad player to fit in with the others.

I'd imagine the main reason is because no-one is willing to pay us what we think he is worth and we are in a position where we most certainly can set the asking price and have no need to take anything less.

Don't think him not training with the team today really changes anything either. If we really are determined not to sell then he's not going anywhere and will have to knuckle down once the window closes. On the other hand if we are open to selling him someone needs to meet our asking price which also doesn't seem to be happening.