Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

Saints. Don't give in. Buy Hoedt anyway. Use JRod and Cuco money plus TV money. Or what we get for Bertrand. Let VVD just sulk away from the first team. Too damaging to buckle to Liverpool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't think Hoedt looked particularly quick across the ground, nor strong in the air from the clips I saw earlier. Funnily enough, his strengths seemed to be in getting last ditch tackles in and ball control, two of Stephens' strengths.

I am only going on that video so more than happy to be corrected or hear more from someone who has seen more of him though.

He's 6' 4" so I'd expect him to be fairly decent in the air.

It is also not clear to me why Inter would be an upgrade on Liverpool for Mane. They are currently a worse team on the field. Could they even afford to pay the same wages?

They have big cash though don't they? Chinese backed I think and want to compete with their city rivals who also have big cash. Plus they are a huge club, just been a bit crap recently but had way more recent success than Liverpool have. I'm sure they can splash some big wages his way.

What I don't get is that story saying they are offering £35 million as it's basically what Liverpool paid us.

We can't get rid, as it stands, no one wants him......... or at least no one wants him enough to actually table a bid for our asking price.

As it stands, no one is prepared to bid for him at our maximum valuation as they probably assume that the complete breakdown in relationship between player and club is going to result in us having to sell in a hurry towards the end of the window, thus saving themselves £15m+.

As it stands, no one is prepared to bid for him at our maximum valuation as they probably assume that the complete breakdown in relationship between player and club is going to result in us having to sell in a hurry towards the end of the window, thus saving themselves £15m+.
And that is becoming a standard tactic by agents and their spoilt brats of players. At some point, for the good of the game, it has to be stopped.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

MODS - any chance of a snap poll?

Based on the situation as it stands right now - do you want VVD to stay? On one hand, it would show fans the club has held its nerve with our captain and best player, who signed a 6 year deal only 1 year ago, but, on the other, we'd be left with a player who clearly wants out (with cash in hand from not handing in a transfer request) and who may have irreparably tarnished his reputation. Simple choice: keep or sell!

This. As I've suggested before, Virgil doesn't seem to realise the damage he's doing to his reputation. His agent is probably largely to blame.

He/they are still assuming that Saints will eventually buckle. I suppose that's fair enough -, plenty on here would have given in to him by now.

But if Saints are to move on from being bullied and blackmailed every summer, they have to stand firm, and I'm pretty sure they will. And everyone except Virgil and his lowlife of an agent has got that. Even LFC know that, although they won't discourage indirect stirring.

Agree entirely. There will come a point when Liverpool will be forced to blink first and buy in an alternative CB. When that happens, it will become clear to V V-D that his future does not lie with Scousehampton and that if he wants to further his career in the future, he will have to buckle down and prove that he is worthy of playing for one of the giant clubs next season. This is high stakes poker and we hold a very strong hand, which grows stronger with every day that passes towards the transfer window slamming shut.

Based on the situation as it stands right now - do you want VVD to stay? On one hand, it would show fans the club has held its nerve with our captain and best player, who signed a 6 year deal only 1 year ago, but, on the other, we'd be left with a player who clearly wants out (with cash in hand from not handing in a transfer request) and who may have irreparably tarnished his reputation. Simple choice: keep or sell!

If he stays out of the way of the first team its another month without proper training and without match practice. It'll take another four weeks to get him up to speed so if we keep him he would be able to contribute anything until October and I would assume keeping him this season means he is off next summer. Assuming he is on something like 80k a week that is 9 months he hasn't played and nearly £3m he has been paid whilst he has had the intention of never playing for this club again.

Don't turn this into an emotional decision make it on the basis of business. If the fee we can get for him can make the first team stronger then sell. If the fee we can means we can't adequately replace him and the team gets weaker then keep - and I would take that approach regardless of his behaviour and regardless of it being Liverpool he wants to go to.

As it stands it doesn't feel like we could get near to replacing him (any huge fee for VVD then distorts the amount we have to pay for his replacement so it is all relative) and taking £60m and £80k a week of the wage bill doesn't even equate to buying three £15m players on £60k a week and given some of the muck that has moved for £15m this week I say we stick this one out and keep VVD unless some very unlikely opportunities come our way in the transfer market.

Let's word the poll vote for either "holding firm on him staying" or ""surrendering to pressure for him to leave against our wishes"

SFC TID!'s last post is accurate regarding events yesterday.

Only additional information I have is that there are no bids yet. However, club looking to sell now. He's become a problem in what is otherwise a very happy squad. Other players that were unhappy and looking for an exit last season - Tadic, Cedric and Bertrand - are all now seemingly bought into MP 100%. VVD is casting a lonely figure after thinking that there were lots that wanted to leave this summer. Difficult to see a way back from here although club will hold out for asking price. MP and VVD relationship is pretty good so there potentially could be a way back if asking price not met before the end of the window. Club will likely buy a replacement now anyway though.

"The player made it impossible to keep him, he didn't respect the Southampton way, we march on"

Words to that effect.

Exactly this, along with "the club did everything in their power to keep him" blah blah blah ... Mark my words he will be gone within the next few weeks, I can't believe the club haven't announced they've taken away his captaincy & he will never be captain again.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

We will sell as unfortunately its what we do best. Will either be this summer or next June. My gut says mid August

I am happy to sell as long as its not to Liverpool + we get 70m+ and we re-hire Paul Mitchell and he spends the cash on 2-3 players

Only additional information I have is that there are no bids yet. However, club looking to sell now. He's become a problem in what is otherwise a very happy squad. Other players that were unhappy and looking for an exit last season - Tadic, Cedric and Bertrand - are all now seemingly bought into MP 100%. VVD is casting a lonely figure after thinking that there were lots that wanted to leave this summer. Difficult to see a way back from here although club will hold out for asking price. MP and VVD relationship is pretty good so there potentially could be a way back if asking price not met before the end of the window. Club will likely buy a replacement now anyway though.

So we are gong to give in then.... all this not selling bluster is worthless sh ite then... Don`t do it Saints, you will set a standard to which other greedy t w at players will use as they know they will win in the end

None of the VVD sepr

We will sell as unfortunately its what we do best. Will either be this summer or next June. My gut says mid August

I am happy to sell as long as its not to Liverpool + we get 70m+ and we re-hire Paul Mitchell and he spends the cash on 2-3 players

None of the VVD sale money will be invested in the squad it will miraculously disappear to shareholders

So we are gong to give in then.... all this not selling bluster is worthless sh ite then... Don`t do it Saints, you will set a standard to which other greedy t w at players will use as they know they will win in the end

Not necessarily. We can keep him with the kids. It shouldn't diminish the value of the asset, just muck around with cash flow.

We really must be a laughing stock, known as the club anyone can raid! Not going to happen but I would laugh my tits off if VVD went to liverhampton & we somehow finished above them!

This !!!

Ok, so we are now looking to sell, but it does seem the valuation is being held.

And from Tom's post, it does seem Virgil has dug himself a hole from which he can't get out without losing face. He made the mistake of thinking there would be a mass exodus, which there isn't. Sounds like all the other original want-aways have bought back into the club now that we have a new manager, and VVD is now totally isolated.

I'd still hold out to at least force a transfer request and loss of bonus, certainly for our full valuation, and not to Liverpool at any cost. If Chelsea or City want to cough up £70m, fair enough. But do they want a player who's demonstrated that he has no respect for contracts, no loyalty and will just go on strike again next year if he fancies Barca? It will certainly give him a wake-up call if there are no offers.

Thanks for the update, Tom. Seems he's dug a hole and doesn't know how to stop digging.

Or is stubborn and bloody-minded. In which case we should match him all the way.

i see three options here:

1.Stay one more season then leave with our blessing.

2.He stays on strike (what a joke) and we make him sit out the season, and let everyone see what a massive helmet he is.

3.Sell him abroad, probably won't get as much money, but it least it will be us, dictating to him, and not the other way round.

To be fair, the clubs attempt to stem the out-flow of quality through the introduction of long term contracts for our best players was worthwhile. We were all shouting for it a year or two ago.

But what we didn't realise was quite how treacherous some players can be when they see an opportunity.

So, 6 year contracts don't engender loyalty, but they should provide decent compensation when the ****s are looking for an escape route. Not really the Southampton Way we bought into with NIgel and MP mk.1.

Sadly I think this situation is a legacy of the Puel era. The club chose a journeyman manager who was unable to inspire the team or the fans. If we had Kept Koeman, this situation would never have occurred. Yes he was a ****, perhaps his demands were unrealistic, but without stability or inspiration, I'm not surprised the team began to fragment.

Hopefully MP mk.2 is able to forge a better team from the players we have, and we get to keep him for a few seasons.

Ok, so we are now looking to sell, but it does seem the valuation is being held.

And from Tom's post, it does seem Virgil has dug himself a hole from which he can't get out without losing face. He made the mistake of thinking there would be a mass exodus, which there isn't. Sounds like all the other original want-aways have bought back into the club now that we have a new manager, and VVD is now totally isolated.

I'd still hold out to at least force a transfer request and loss of bonus, certainly for our full valuation, and not to Liverpool at any cost. If Chelsea or City want to cough up £70m, fair enough. But do they want a player who's demonstrated that he has no respect for contracts, no loyalty and will just go on strike again next year if he fancies Barca? It will certainly give him a wake-up call if there are no offers.

The problem is Liverpool seem to the only club who actually want him. We can't sell to Liverpool without basically saying we are ok with tapping up and being made to look utterly stupid.

Our other option is to beg someone to take him off our hands at a much reduced rate which again does us no favours.

No one is going to pay our asking price this summer in light of current events because they will see us as desperate to get rid of him.

What a crappy piece of work he is. All because he wants to suck on Klopp, of which he decided when he was injured. Disgusting behavior from an employee to be honest.

Judging from the total lack of interest from other clubs I suspect the only reason he wants Liverpool ....is because they are the only ones who actual want him rather than a desire for Klopps man meat.

To be fair, the clubs attempt to stem the out-flow of quality through the introduction of long term contracts for our best players was worthwhile. We were all shouting for it a year or two ago.

But what we didn't realise was quite how treacherous some players can be when they see an opportunity.

So, 6 year contracts don't engender loyalty, but they should provide decent compensation when the ****s are looking for an escape route. Not really the Southampton Way we bought into with NIgel and MP mk.1.

Sadly I think this situation is a legacy of the Puel era. The club chose a journeyman manager who was unable to inspire the team or the fans. If we had Kept Koeman, this situation would never have occurred. Yes he was a ****, perhaps his demands were unrealistic, but without stability or inspiration, I'm not surprised the team began to fragment.

Hopefully MP mk.2 is able to forge a better team from the players we have, and we get to keep him for a few seasons.

It would still have happened if Koeman stayed players have proved time and again that when it comes to it the pay packet is the most important thing managers, league position, ambition and European football are all just soundbites that come way behind getting more cash.

TBF, that could apply to just about every current PL player !

I'll be really disappointed if TOM28 is correct and we've decided to roll over and sell him. Makes us look completely spineless. It'll just encourage whatever team wants to poach one of our players next summer.

Worse still is the timing. At least if they made the decision in June they could have planned and spent money early in the window like Everton.

Now we've got a week and half till the season starts to somehow try and conclude buying a top quality first choice centre back and get him bedded into the team.

Just out of curiosity why is VVD's disloyalty unacceptable, but Paul Mitchell's ok?

I think the club need to tell VVD that if he wants to leave he needs to submit a transfer request and publically admit he's refusing to play for the club, that makes his position 100% untenable and would at least diminish the backlash from the fans.

And reduce his value as no club will pay our asking price when we are appearing so desperate to get rid.

None of the VVD seprNone of the VVD sale money will be invested in the squad it will miraculously disappear to shareholders

There is absolutely nothing in the history of Southampton's ownership by Liebherr to suggest that this would happen. And if the money really just disappeared it would involve some kind of accounting fraud. In England your statement borders on libel. Since I am an American, it is fine.