Puel - In or Out?

washsaint

In or Out?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. In or Out?

He says he's happy with the squad and in my eyes he should be judged using the players he thinks are good enough. The squad we've got is clearly better than the performances we've been producing. My issue is with Puel's tactics and the style of football he promotes. I can't see that changing regardless of whether we bring in a couple of new players. For that reason I think it's time for a change. That's my opinion, it's different to yours but apparently that makes me less of a supporter for some reason...

So you think if he was given money to spend he'd say no then do you?

Considering the names that have been called for on the Next Manager thread, the football will only get worse.

People who voted for Brexit has a different opinion to me. They're also idiots, and I would wager many who want Puel out also voted for Brexit.

I think they just find it difficult to marry cause and effect.

People who voted for Brexit are idiots and therefore they must be the same people that want rid of Puel. I've heard it all now.

I'm unhappy with the performances and have voiced my displeasure. The issue is calling for his head when he's had no money to spend, and we've been doing that badly.

But that's fine, you're one of them...

We always used to be a proactive club and would be proactive rather than reactive.

We're slowing drifting into a relegation battle with a team of avaerage players with no spirit and who appear to dislike the manager.

The fans are ****ed off and you can tell this by the atmosphere around st Mary's.

Enough is enough for me, my paticence has run thin (not due to results, due to the style of football we play) Puel & Black out. Would also like to see Kat either dip her hand in her pocket or sell.

So you think if he was given money to spend he'd say no then do you?

No, because almost any team can be improved. My point is, the tools he has are not as bad as many think and Claude has even admitted that he's happy with what he's got. If that's right then it's fair to judge him now in my eyes.

We always used to be a proactive club and would be proactive rather than reactive.

We're slowing drifting into a relegation battle with a team of avaerage players with no spirit and who appear to dislike the manager.

The fans are ****ed off and you can tell this by the atmosphere around st Mary's.

Enough is enough for me, my paticence has run thin (not due to results, due to the style of football we play) Puel & Black out. Would also like to see Kat either dip her hand in her pocket or sell.

Yep this is my reasoning as well. It is by far the worst we've played since we've returned to the Premier League. He is so negative.

A team of average players, in an average position in the League. Who knew eh?

He says he's happy with the squad and in my eyes he should be judged using the players he thinks are good enough. The squad we've got is clearly better than the performances we've been producing. My issue is with Puel's tactics and the style of football he promotes. I can't see that changing regardless of whether we bring in a couple of new players. For that reason I think it's time for a change. That's my opinion, it's different to yours but apparently that makes me less of a supporter for some reason...

He'd be stupid to come out and say we need new signings. The players are obviously lacking in confidence anyway - it was a sensible decision and good management to come out publicly and back his players.

Unfortunately, they have let him down and hopefully behind the scenes they are working on bringing a couple in.

People who voted for Brexit has a different opinion to me. They're also idiots, and I would wager many who want Puel out also voted for Brexit.

Did you really just write that? Lols.

I think the club will act when they start getting hit financially due to declining gates.

Did you really just write that? Lols.

I think the club will act when they start getting hit financially due to declining gates.

Up there with one of the most moronic posts I've seen on this forum. Congrats Jeff.

He'd be stupid to come out and say we need new signings. The players are obviously lacking in confidence anyway - it was a sensible decision and good management to come out publicly and back his players.

Unfortunately, they have let him down and hopefully behind the scenes they are working on bringing a couple in.

Hope you're right. Concerning though that the players we do have don't seem capable of raising their game to either play for Puel or adapt to his system.

I don't know what you expect him to do, or anyone else for that matter, with all those average players?

Bournemouth have average player, Leicester had average players last year as shown where they are in the league now. You can still attack and take the game to teams.

Kat needs to sell as we are going backwards. You can't replace class with okay and expect to continue moving forwards. But irrelevant if Kat sells or not, our boring negative style needs to change.

Bournemouth have average player, Leicester had average players last year as shown where they are in the league now. You can still attack and take the game to teams.

Kat needs to sell as we are going backwards. You can't replace class with okay and expect to continue moving forwards. But irrelevant if Kat sells or not, our boring negative style needs to change.

See, now I don't disagree with the second paragraph at all. Why does it take a change of manager to do that though?

A decent debate is a two way thing mate - perhaps come up with some none knee-jerk points and we can have a decent debate.

Just because it's not your view doesn't make it knee jerk. Leave Brexit out of a Saints debate as well mate, you're making yourself look silly.

I posted this at the time when Puel was linked with the job in the New manager thread last summer, does any of this mirror today s situation?

"Yes I can tell you i've been watching French football for 10 years. Worried Puel doesn't fit with our philosophy

In general, plays a very defensive style,boring football, that's why he was booted out of Lyon disagreements with Aulas

Last year Nice played attractive football but this was mainly due to the form of Ben Arfa. Puel got the best out of him.

Not sure he is perfect fit, blows hot and cold 4th with Nice then 11th and 17th the 2 previous seasons. He also has 2 sons

he insisted on playing them. One left to Le Havre and one is still at Nice. Reminds me of Pulis with his son Anthony

Puel doesn t play a high pressing either.

How much of you have watched a one of his teams play in the past?

I've seen nearly all his career in Ligue 1, his football is boring and very defensive. There is no pressing whatsoever.

A very uninspiring choice if we take him."

I posted this at the time when Puel was linked with the job in the New manager thread last summer, does any of this mirror today s situation?

"Yes I can tell you i've been watching French football for 10 years. Worried Puel doesn't fit with our philosophy

In general, plays a very defensive style,boring football, that's why he was booted out of Lyon disagreements with Aulas

Last year Nice played attractive football but this was mainly due to the form of Ben Arfa. Puel got the best out of him.

Not sure he is perfect fit, blows hot and cold 4th with Nice then 11th and 17th the 2 previous seasons. He also has 2 sons

he insisted on playing them. One left to Le Havre and one is still at Nice. Reminds me of Pulis with his son Anthony

I've seen nearly all his career in Ligue 1, his football is boring and very defensive. There is no pressing whatsoever.

turned out to be very accurate

Very prescient.

We won't get relegated may come back to haunt you.

Wish I could share your optimism. A GK who is often rooted to the spot and always likely to concede the first shot on target, a defence with uncertainty over their futures, a midfield with little bite (Romeu aside), and a pitiful and toothless attack seems pretty ripe for a relegation struggle to be honest.

I have been of the view, end of season and review it, and ideally I'd like to see that, unless we can attract an outstanding coach now (which I doubt), or things continue to plummet (which seems a more likely prospect after the Christmas-New Year fixtures, and displays).

We already have 24 points and we have a much clearer fixture schedule in the new year. If we win 5 more games we won't go down, 5/16, I think we can manage that (plus draws and so forth etc). I don't see it personally. We might come in low, but we won't get relegated. We also had the roughest turnaround for Christmas fixtures compared to any other team this Christmas (we had the least amount of time between matches). I am massively disappointed with our Christmas results for darn sure, but its Saints, its Christmas, we always take the bl**dy holidays off, every year! But we'll bounce back in the spring, I'm sure.

I will admit, it would be good to maybe strengthen with some sensible additions if there are a couple going in the transfer window, but I don't think its essential. We just need some form for our strikers. At least JayRod is at last starting to look much better in his movements, so hopefully he'll get his scoring back on track soon enough.

Come on chaps, chins up for heavens sake!

How can he have kept playing his sons if one of them was at a different club? :rolleyes:

CP has to go. He's clearly lost the dressing room judging by the last 3 displays - although the schedule hasn't helped - and when the big boss starts giving you and your employees a pep talk in public like that, it's a huge clue that the Board clearly think things are nose-diving.

Defeat at Carrow and in the LC and he is probably one more defeat away from the sack. The ITKs are clearly priming us for Eric Black to go and perhaps a high profile assistant like Henry might prop Claude until the end of the season and take all the interview and PR work which CP seems terrified of. Mrs Puel also apparently unhappy though - parting of the ways would be best.

Les Reed should also be under scrutiny here and the January business will be costly to get the 4-5 first players needed to stay up. Certain posters had a pop at me and others for saying the striker situation was a major problem in the summer - hope the humble pie is to your liking.

One thing that needs to happen is for JWP to go out on loan to Championship - should have happened much earlier. Needs to take responsibility at somewhere like Wolves or Leeds and mature in football terms. He looks miles behind the likes of McQueen and Sims which is disturbing when he's played that many PL games. Garry Monk might be the manager at Leeds to sort the boy out and send him back a man.

I remember this post at the time, it was perturbing then, and rings very true now.

The thing is it's not even classic defensive style - two lines of 4 or 5 - like a typical Pulis or Mourinho at Chelsea. We play possession football knocking it side to side up and back and back again and too slowly and predictable that it allows the opposition to press us too often and then we either launch it long or get caught out. We are on a fast slippery slope if he is left in charge.....and getting back up the slope it's taken 5 years to get up will take at least the same time again. As we slip, fewer players will come, the better ones will leave sooner and so we end up back down the bottom. When you're a club of our stature momentum is absolutely paramount and any set-backs take longer to rectify than it would at the large clubs, (like Chelsea this year compared to last).

Decisive action - an acceptance by all that it just didn't work out and use these next 6 months to get someone in to halt the decline and set up for next season with two transfer windows.

Fans will soon stop going and paying for the rubbish football being served up.

Maybe KL is selling up and big money is coming and somehow 3-4 decent players will turn up this month.....but I doubt it and I also doubt Puel ability to make it work. Shame but sometimes people end up out of their depth or at a work place where it just doesn't work. Thanks for trying Puel but go home to France!!

I really hope the board have a plan B, because Puel can't seem to turn things around. It's like teams don't have to beat us, just wait and we'll eventually capitulate; and it's almost as if the players feel that too. We're unable to use the pace of Long or Redmond (arguably their best strengths) because the tempo Puel sets is so slow, by the time we are in an attacking position their defensive players are back in position; and we end up just knocking it around in front of them. Counter attacking is basically non-existent.

Claude has already said he doesn't like buying in January - in fairness for good reasons - so don't have high hopes there. Yoshida is not premier league standard, at least one howler every game guaranteed. His rotation seems odd too. Boufal rested today, yet he's off to the ACN tomorrow - why would we give a toss if he's puffed out of that? Leaving Berty out too was just bemusing. We've conceded 9 in the last three, seems like CPs defensive football doesn't even stop the goals. He's a very uninspiring personality and I know people will point to him going nuts when we score, but his team talks clearly do jack all. Very worrying that we've lost to the likes of West Brom, Hull and Palace and barely put up a fight against teams above us. Was a gamble given that he's never managed out of France, he's not suited to the premier league.

Oh wow.

Puel may resign i think - will perhaps acknowledge that this job was too big or that we are just not the right match (it happens)

If stories about his wife being lonely/home sick are true then maybe now is right time for all parties - no hard feelings, you did your best it hasnt worked - best wishes for the future.

We already have 24 points and we have a much clearer fixture schedule in the new year. If we win 5 more games we won't go down, 5/16, I think we can manage that (plus draws and so forth etc). I don't see it personally. We might come in low, but we won't get relegated. We also had the roughest turnaround for Christmas fixtures compared to any other team this Christmas (we had the least amount of time between matches). I am massively disappointed with our Christmas results for darn sure, but its Saints, its Christmas, we always take the bl**dy holidays off, every year! But we'll bounce back in the spring, I'm sure.

I will admit, it would be good to maybe strengthen with some sensible additions if there are a couple going in the transfer window, but I don't think its essential. We just need some form for our strikers. At least JayRod is at last starting to look much better in his movements, so hopefully he'll get his scoring back on track soon enough.

Come on chaps, chins up for heavens sake!

You clearly don't know the people (melts) on this forum very well!!

The majority use this forum as some sort of weird toddler group therapy for adults every time we lose a game. There's a minority that I would class as almost masochistic; they seem to enjoy it when we lose and they're in pain.

I now use this forum to have a laugh and cheer me up after a defeat. That's pretty much the only time I'll come on here now. After two or three defeats in a row, they really start to up the vitriol.

"Oooh Puel out, Puel out...".

Keep it going lads. You'll all feel better soon. Let it out.

FWIW, we should have been 1 or 2 up today. Same problem we've had for much of the season - we can't stick the ball in the net when we are on top. We need a goal scoring striker in January and I'd bet we'll see a vast improvement in results. Puel has done a decent job managing the fixture congestion all season. The squad will be better for it later in the season and next season.

Oh wow.

Puel may resign i think - will perhaps acknowledge that this job was too big or that we are just not the right match (it happens)

If stories about his wife being lonely/home sick are true then maybe now is right time for all parties - no hard feelings, you did your best it hasnt worked - best wishes for the future.

Here's the article where that comes from. I posted a translation in the other thread but I'll post it here too.

http://www.leparisien.fr/sports/sa-nouvelle-vie-a-southampton-02-01-2017-6514626.php

For the first time since signing his three-year deal in the South of England, Claude Puel had his three children over. They were able to spend Christmas together as a family, before a succession of three matches which has started badly with two home defeats. "Southampton is building itself, little by little, thanks to good management and a good organisation" explains the Tarnais [someone who comes from the Tarn département]. "With excellent results in recent seasons - 8th, 7th and 6th. A family club which has served as a springboard for players to play at a higher level. A club which develops its players, such as Bale, Chamberlain and Walcott. Very structured with a medium-size budget although there are 340 staff members. That shows a bit of the economics of the Premier League." He has big ambitions: "To win a title and even look to qualify for the Champions League. When I arrived at Nice, a club which at the time was worn out, unable to sign any expensive players, I said I wanted us to be in Europe in 5 years' time. Everyone laughed in my face."

He works ten hours a day, at a high-tech training centre which is alongside a country road in the outskirts. He doesn't take any particular lessons in English because he does not have the time. Eliminated from the Europa League, Southampton have been playing every three days since the start of the season. "I started without taking any lessons. From the very beginning, it was very tough, with a three-hour meeting with the board followed by two hours face-to-face in Zurich with the chairman. When I finished, I had a headache [he smiles]! You've got to get straight into it. I'm doing this at 55 years of age. After, it would have been too late. I needed a new challenge that excited me."

He has no life outside of football, but it is hardest for Corine, his wife. "She is learning English but she has no social life," he says. "It is a challenge for her as well. Our apartment gives both a view of the stadium and the pleasure boats. It reminds me of Monaco. The people are very friendly and considerate but I do not know anyone here."

Personally I think he has 3 games to save himself. If we're knocked out of the FAC by the yokels, lose heavily to the dippers in the semi 1st leg and lose away at Burnley then he'll be gone.

There is a very good chance we will lose all three and I'm going to two of them so defeats there are nailed on.

Liverpool will be incredibly hard with their form regardless

Burnley are top 4 when it comes to home form and look excellent at theirs.

Norwich, god knows.

he is not 16-1 to be the next boss to go.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/next-manager-to-leave-post

Edited by Batman

I think one of our big problems is that our team has been dismantled. The manager is to blame he broke a fundamental rule when he joined us. If it isn't broke don't fix it. A man who apart from European competitions had never played or managed anywhere but the mediocre French league, had no experience of the Premier but chose to impose a radical change to a relatively successful team that just didn't suit the way we have played for a number of years.

We have always said that the best team was still a number of players short of being able to challenge the top teams yet with that deficiency in the numbers of quality players we made six to nine changes and played further weakened sides week after week still trying to adapt to fundamental playing philosophy.

It is obvious Puel hasn't got it in him to change so either we live with the sub standard football in the inflexible straightjacket imposed by him and the inevitable consequences or he has to go. A major problem is the simplistic slow negative across and back football with only one proper forward has now been worked out and is being leapt on by the opponents.

Of course the players aren't happy, this isn't what they signed up to but they are having to suffer the straightjacket and the consequent results and disappointments. If Puel and his staff aren't on borrowed time now they soon will be unless they adopt a different way of playing. Stop rotating, pick the best sides available and get out of this rut and that doesn't mean Redmond and JWP playing.