Puel - In or Out?

washsaint

In or Out?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. In or Out?

Think your observations are correct but les has lost the plot no Michell in the sense I personally les has taken the lime light ,on his own he is not effective and believes his own bs

/?

How do you know Puel isn't under review? Bit desperate (and very defensive, a bit like the non-entity of a manager) to jump to Claude and Les's defence, anyone would think you worked for them...

The majority of our fans were willing to give Puel a chance, as reflected by this poll to date, but the last two performances at home have been pathetic, bar the first twenty minutes v Spurs, a game I was at. This is a good set of players but someone with the tactical awareness of George Burley and the persona of Ian Branfoot would struggle to get Barcelona playing good stuff.

Sorry Les, you've done a great deal for SFC but you've got this appointment wrong and time to put your hands up. Gary Rowett is available and apparently well thought of by Les. We are very unlikely to be in Europe next season - barring a huge upset first v Liverpool over 2 legs and then Man U - so we don't need Puel and would give Rowett a couple of seasons to rebuild after VVD is sold.

Puel isn't going to cut it - it's not just the results but also the approach to games and the personality of a breeze block that is turning the fans off. He's made horrible selection errors in the last 2 games and you can't see him being able to make a connection to the fanbase, nor Reed giving him the strikers and other new signings he badly needs but is so weak he won't press for.

The only positive is Hull, Sunderland and Swansea being so dire that we'll finish 15th or so at worst. Not good enough with that group of players so time for a new manager and a new strategy from Les.

I am still undecided.

They were talking on ssn before the game about his tactics and the ability to change the games. Regardless of results you have to say we play one way and one way only. If that does not work he has no back-up plans. We had one shot on goal so you have to change what we are doing to create more. He didn't change anything. We still played the same way the entire game. There was no pace in attack, no Alamo siege going on. At times the only person forward was either Tadic or Boufal. Nobody else was up there to help in attack. Whoever had the ball had to keep hold of it and wait for players to come forward. Majority of the time the player would get crowded out and lose the ball. The problem with this is unless you are a big strong player it is hard to keep the ball for that long.

For me I think the issue isn't so much Puel, it is Reed. His comments in the summer about Koeman going and how Puel is the perfect fit for us speak volumes. He said we will play the same 'Southampton' way and Puel was the best man for that. The problem is we are not playing the same. We have swapped fast fluid high pressing football, for slow defensive possession football. The type of football West Brom and co used to play. For me that is the main disappointment I have. If we play exciting stuff and lose than ok. If we play ultra defensive football and lose then it isn't ok. You have to say if it was not for VVD we would not be where we are in the league. We have struggled for most of the season and the defensive shut outs we had early on have all but gone. When the defensive side goes we are in trouble as we are set up to be a defensive side that relies on clean sheets and lack of shots on our goal. So for me I think it is more down to Reed than Puel. Saying we would play the same and then totally change how we play is not acceptable.

PUEL IS NOT GOING TO BE SACKED AND HE IS NOT THE PROBLEM

Our key players need to start performing. Sacking Puel is not going to solve those problems.

So how will that magically happen? Surely it's up to the manager to motivate his players? The players must take some responsibility, but to say Our current malaise is nothing to do with the manager is ridiculous IMHO.

Fwiw I agree we won't sack pull, at least not now. It will cost us money, there don't appear to be any sensible replacements available (I like rowett, but he has limited experience, and none at this level) and fortunately for us, Swansea, hull and Sunderland are so poor we will almost certainly stumble across the safety line no matter how bad we are.

But something does need to change. With the formation as it is, as soon as the 'shuttlers' get the ball the only free players are either behind them or on the flank. There's only one central forward option and he's marked by two which might work if we had a lambert or pelle... But we don't.

We desperately need at least one more player positioned up top or just behind the forward. We can either do that with a 4-2-3-1 formation, or by going to three at the back. I personally would prefer this option. Not his best game today but yoshi has been decent this season. Wing backs to provide the width, and move the wide forwards much closer to the striker. I think both tad if and bouffal would be more effective in more central positions, and they'd lose some of their defensive responsibilities.

I wish I had waited to vote. The football being served up is just bloody boring and has been all season - you would have to be blind not to see that the players aren't enjoying it either. Reed's ego won't allow Puel to be dismissed now but no doubt we will spend nowhere near enough in January and limp on in mediocrity until the summer, when VVD will leave, and who can blame him.

I am still undecided.

They were talking on ssn before the game about his tactics and the ability to change the games. Regardless of results you have to say we play one way and one way only. If that does not work he has no back-up plans. We had one shot on goal so you have to change what we are doing to create more. He didn't change anything. We still played the same way the entire game. There was no pace in attack, no Alamo siege going on. At times the only person forward was either Tadic or Boufal. Nobody else was up there to help in attack. Whoever had the ball had to keep hold of it and wait for players to come forward. Majority of the time the player would get crowded out and lose the ball. The problem with this is unless you are a big strong player it is hard to keep the ball for that long.

For me I think the issue isn't so much Puel, it is Reed. His comments in the summer about Koeman going and how Puel is the perfect fit for us speak volumes. He said we will play the same 'Southampton' way and Puel was the best man for that. The problem is we are not playing the same. We have swapped fast fluid high pressing football, for slow defensive possession football. The type of football West Brom and co used to play. For me that is the main disappointment I have. If we play exciting stuff and lose than ok. If we play ultra defensive football and lose then it isn't ok. You have to say if it was not for VVD we would not be where we are in the league. We have struggled for most of the season and the defensive shut outs we had early on have all but gone. When the defensive side goes we are in trouble as we are set up to be a defensive side that relies on clean sheets and lack of shots on our goal. So for me I think it is more down to Reed than Puel. Saying we would play the same and then totally change how we play is not acceptable.

An excellent post. But surely Les knew Puel's style of play or perhaps he didn't. If it is the former then Les is not telling the truth and if it is the latter then he has been shockingly lax in his research of Puel as a candidate for the job.

Right now 55% in, 45% out.

Just find the football on display so dull, least with Poch and Koeman even in defeats we played well- these past two games have been turgid. What a shi*e end to 2016, and apart from our highest ever Premier League finish, politics and celebrity deaths and the more recent football on display leaves much to be desired.

Only reason I say in is because we would look stupid sacking him now, but oh how I wish we had someone better...

He was my third choice after Pellegrini and Rudi Garcia, wonder how either of those would have done at the helm

It amazes me that 78% of our fanbase are happy with this joker in charge. Yet again we are lifeless and dull. We created absolutely zero when we went behind. We have become such a poor team. He has to go soon, otherwise we are slipping towards a relegation battle.

Spot on. Haven't been comfortable with him from the start - Puel OUT OUT OUT

I must admit, I cannot bring myself to listen to either his post match or pre-match interviews. It's just too painful and I end up drifting away a few mins into it.

But the shouts now are all still a little knee-jerky for me. We're at a bit of a crossroads admittedly, let's see if we can add some pace and creativity to this team next month.

This is the first time (Adkins apart) that the Board are going to have to make a decision about a manager change of their own making.

We simply don't know how quickly they will push the button in these situations.

Different board. Cortese was here then.

This is the first time (Adkins apart) that the Board are going to have to make a decision about a manager change of their own making.

We simply don't know how quickly they will push the button in these situations.

Different board. Cortese was here then.

Half a season down, still top half, still in with a shout of a cup final, doesn't scream problems, however I think he's got to go.

This is a good bunch of players that have shown they have real quality to challenge the top 6 but the motivation, tactics and overall atmosphere just isn't there with Claude. I can take supporting an average team playing average football and getting average results but we are a good team playing negatively and getting bad results. Today should tell every Saints fan that we are still well capable of getting ourselves relegated. I've not really been keeping track of who's available out there but I really think that Puel is the problem and there's no point giving him money to spend in Jan as it's not the lack of quality players that's hurting us.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Out from me, so tactically inept, we all know we haven't the strongest squad, we all no our weakspots, why the he'll can't Puel, and yes I know we need to rotate but we should be talking 2 poss 3 not 5/6/7 today to change the back 3 was asking for trouble and to me astonishing. As mentioned Les and Co have to take lions share of blame

I've just seen Puel on BT. I've just realised what he is doing as I haven't bothered listening to his interviews of late, he is just repeating the same phrases time after time. Adding a long word here and there that often makes no sense in a football context.

I don't think Puel is particularly bad but the football is just so boring...Our games must have the least goals this season. At least the last two we have seen 8 goals.

We don't look like scoring but also don't look like conceding but inevitably we usually do with the first chance for the opposition. I heard Puel talk about being unlucky but he can't really believe that the repetition of the same performances is really down to luck? Perhaps there was luck but it was in the Everton and Boro games where they didn't score?

You do look at the semi final and think where the hell are the goals to get us through going to come from? You can't see us keeping two clean sheets but also can't see us scoring more than one.

The players don't look particularly surprised or angry when we concede a goal, it looks like they think it is inevitable?

I don't think we will be anywhere near relegation but when we lose in the cup, the season will be over, so what dross will we have to watch then, when there is nothing to play for?

Finally I know people are comparing us to the same point last season but correct me if I am wrong, we are doing slightly better this year, but the rumours were RK was two games from the sack at around this time last year so does being slightly better mean three games from the chop?

I don't think Puel is particularly bad but the football is just so boring...Our games must have the least goals this season. At least the last two we have seen 8 goals.

We don't look like scoring but also don't look like conceding but inevitably we usually do with the first chance for the opposition. I heard Puel talk about being unlucky but he can't really believe that the repetition of the same performances is really down to luck? Perhaps there was luck but it was in the Everton and Boro games where they didn't score?

You do look at the semi final and think where the hell are the goals to get us through going to come from? You can't see us keeping two clean sheets but also can't see us scoring more than one.

The players don't look particularly surprised or angry when we concede a goal, it looks like they think it is inevitable?

I don't think we will be anywhere near relegation but when we lose in the cup, the season will be over, so what dross will we have to watch then, when there is nothing to play for?

Finally I know people are comparing us to the same point last season but correct me if I am wrong, we are doing slightly better this year, but the rumours were RK was two games from the sack at around this time last year so does being slightly better mean three games from the chop?

We’ll be going into the 20th game in exactly the same state points wise, although with a -4 GD, compared to the +2 last year. We’re higher up the league though as the middle is so more congested this year. Top 6 is done, away and into the horizon. But so many teams have a shout of a Top 7 finish or a bottom 4 finish. There are lots of middle of the round teams in the league this year, not much quality in that middle group. A good January window by 1 or 2 of those clubs could see them run away though….

In easily. Forster is making his best impersonation of a lamp post and the others defend well as a team but are ultimately mostly limited footballers, Puel can't do much better with what he has got, Les has got to bring better players so if anyone, he is the one to blame.

Rotation is necessary, players can't play this many games no matter how much they are paid. It is time the idiots understood this. We had two fewer rest days than WBA and it showed, VVD was running on fumes at the end. We have played more games than anyone in the league.

The possession for possession's sake isn't to attack, we are doing it to defend without wasting too much energy, if we have the ball the other team can't hurt us. It works but isn't being reflected as it should in the GA column because Forster doesn't save anything. Can't see what Puel can do about that other than ask Les for a new keeper.

Mané was our attack and before him Lallana. Until Boufal gets fully up to speed or we buy new players this is how it is going to be. Fans complained that Pochettino didn't have a plan B and Koeman hoofed it to Pellè, usually when teams marked Lallana and Mané out of the game. No different here, we just don't have the quality and this is made worse by the fact that because of the number of games Puel is having very little time to work tactical drills, most training sessions are just for physical recovery.

At last I couldn't give less of a sh!t about how he comes across in interviews, in fact I don't even see the point of them. Our fans are mostly mouth breathing idiots anyway, so the less they are told and the less influence they have on how the club is run the better.

In easily. Forster is making his best impersonation of a lamp post and the others defend well as a team but are ultimately mostly limited footballers, Puel can't do much better with what he has got, Les has got to bring better players so if anyone, he is the one to blame.

Rotation is necessary, players can't play this many games no matter how much they are paid. It is time the idiots understood this. We had two fewer rest days than WBA and it showed, VVD was running on fumes at the end. We have played more games than anyone in the league.

The possession for possession's sake isn't to attack, we are doing it to defend without wasting too much energy, if we have the ball the other team can't hurt us. It works but isn't being reflected as it should in the GA column because Forster doesn't save anything. Can't see what Puel can do about that other than ask Les for a new keeper.

Mané was our attack and before him Lallana. Until Boufal gets fully up to speed or we buy new players this is how it is going to be. Fans complained that Pochettino didn't have a plan B and Koeman hoofed it to Pellè, usually when teams marked Lallana and Mané out of the game. No different here, we just don't have the quality and this is made worse by the fact that because of the number of games Puel is having very little time to work tactical drills, most training sessions are just for physical recovery.

At last I couldn't give less of a sh!t about how he comes across in interviews, in fact I don't even see the point of them. Our fans are mostly mouth breathing idiots anyway, so the less they are told and the less influence they have on how the club is run the better.

Take a bow! Post of 2016.

Agree with pretty much all of this.

Bookies don't think his job is in danger - can get 35:1 with PP, 25:1 the rest.

His job is safe. Reed has never sacked a manager and won't admit he is wrong

Kat doesn't give a flying **** and doesn't even bover to go to games anymore

7 or 17th means very little to these guys

Don't blame the manager I tiredly think club structure from top to bottom has changed football is an entertainment industry so at least show commitment board from the top to bottom and rid and save us from sir les bull about ambition is that money or results ?

As I understand it, Koeman was two games from the sack this time last year. I say, give him the three cup games then decide

His job is safe. Reed has never sacked a manager and won't admit he is wrong

Kat doesn't give a flying **** and doesn't even bover to go to games anymore

7 or 17th means very little to these guys

So true, unfortunately.

Just get the feeling Reed is too stubborn to admit a mistake. They'll certainly hold out to see how we get on the the EFL cup. But either way, he has to go IMO.

Sorry I don't agree with this? mane was our attack? How many goals did he get or create? Tadic was far more creative and Pelle scored more goals?

Lallana was our attack? Lambert scored the goals along with J rod and Tadic has created more than Lallana ever did?

I think Boufal will be great but it's a team game and the team structure needs to be right..we have stopped pressing and play some sort of pedestrian side ways passing "conserve energy" game which I would understand but no player plays three consecutive games anyway so our players aren't playing 3 games in six days etc...

How can west brom be fresher than us? We made six changes? They played their best team every game bar one or two changes?

So you are saying we play pedestrian football to conserve energy and we rotate the team wholesale every week but we are still less fresh than a Spurs team which played as many games (at a higher level than us) AND play a high pressure game for 90 minutes EVERY GAME and make less changes than us? IMO It's just an excuse that we are tired I am afraid.

Our forwards don't get close enough to each other to play the intricate football in the box we saw from Lallana, J Rod and Lambert in their pomp so we cross the ball a lot (as despite the full backs supposedly supplying the width Tadic and Boufal seem to always be out wide) but no one is in there to put it away as the midfield are not able to support the front three. I suspect the midfield are reluctant to get forward as they are outnumbered and often having to bust a gut to cover the four midfielders the other teams have.

Personally I think the individuals do well considering. We often dominate possession, The midfield cover a lot of ground and often win the battle for loose balls etc despite being outnumbered. To expect them to also pitch in up front is just unrealistic.

Eric Black for me is the issue here.

I'm sticking my neck out a bit, but we have Eric Black, that has come from a club as toxic as Villa was

to here...and let's face it, I'm being extremely candid here, he shouldn't be here.

When there was talk of Black coming, it was brushed off by pretty much everyone I know, NOBODY believed

it would happen, I'm TOLD the players themselves only found out about Black 2 days before the guy arrived.

(at the club, not before it was announced).

Nobody knew.

And it was a shock then and it's still hard to wire together now, the guy wasn't massively

liked at Villa to start with, which was not footballs biggest secret.

I think, and I say this as a fan, equally disappointed, even p**ssed off with what's happened, but I just think,

if we take Black out of the picture and let Puel do his thing and then see.

For me, I just look at Villa last season and I look at us now, there isn't a great deal of difference,

with one common denominator.

Puel might not speak with the greatest clarity but he is fluent enough, which was as I understand it, the motivating

factor and logic behind Black being recruited.

He should have gone with the recent scandle and it was "nailed on" that he was gone.

For me, I think it was a HUGE gamble bringing in Black.

It really was. It was a massive gamble.

Voted for puel to stay but I just can't see an progressive future under him.

Ask yourself these questions:

Are you excited that Claude puel is Southampton manager?

Are you proud that Claude puel is Southampton manager?

Do you think the players are excited & proud to play for Claude puel?

Do you think that the style we play in is in keeping with the entertaining never say die style Southampton was known for?

Claude s time may be up

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk