Puel - In or Out?

washsaint

In or Out?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. In or Out?

Can't believe through thick and thin saints fans have this in or out ****** everytime they lose a game of football to a better team. Judge him at the end of the season and after he's had a transfer window. We need a striker not a new manager.

I honestly do not believe a new striker will change much.

what would a new striker have done tongiht?

we need a better option in the middle of the park. Someone other than Romeu who can win the ball higher up the pitch and give us a chance

we were utterly bullied in midifled earlier and that showed with our pathetic efforts in attack. Rodriguez had no chance

Sorry, but you could have Costa up front for us and it would make no difference. We don't get enough players forward and whoever plays up front is isolated. We have Boufal and Tadic who are real talents but seem obsessed with crop circles (shades of Fabrice Fernandes) and we are too defensive to get numbers forward.

We put crosses in and most times we have 1 or sometimes 2 or 3 players in the box. Compare that to Spurs tonight who would consistently have 5 or 6 players in the box when the ball came in.

Need to give him a whole season before we can judge, what I will say however is watching us this season has been incredibly tedious at times, and I'm worried that the team is as unfit as it has been for a few years now. We looked absolutely shattered after pressing Spurs for 20 minutes, considering we've had a 10 day break that's pretty worrying.

Ridiculous for anyone to call for Puel to go. He is doing a decent enough job to with the poorest team we have had for 3 seasons now. His main mistake this eve was picking JWP but other than that, he has poor options up front and a liability keeper in goal.

You serious? JWP was one of are better players, put a goal on a plate for VD and another for Fonte who missed from 5 yards out, not to mention all his set plays where spot on, but people in the box failed to convert the chances..........

Amazes me how he can be singled out during the game and after that he was 1 of are best player's today and you think Manager made a mistake in playing him........... lol.

Guess you watched a diff game.....

It's not just that though is it? If you actually read the thread most are concerned at the style of play being implemented. Even if we had Aguero up front he can't score if we don't make any chances. It's not like we create absolutely shed loads of chances that are missed is it? A new striker won't solve our problems. We don't move the ball forward quickly enough. For me, we need a centre mid that can actually carry the ball forward.
Oh...so you're saying we don't create chances! :lol: ......ok!

Out. Anyone who thinks he should stay lacks ambition or is easily pleased. If we were in the last 32 of the Europa League I would be inclined to be more forgiving. The football is dreadful as well. The only time when we look any good is when we go off his template.
No, anyone who thinks that after 5 months we should sack a new and hastily appointed manager who despite coming in at the 11th hour has managed so far to get a weak saints squad (in comparison to recent seasons) to 8th and into a domestic semi final and all whilst juggling Europa League and blooding youth players as per club policy....is a clueless bedwetting moron who's thirst for instant success would be better quenched at Stamford Bridge or the Etihad.

Can someone remind me what position we finished in when Pochettino left?

And someone remind me what position we're in now?

That 2013/14 squad tbf to him- we had a good solid 13/14 players but Poch was forced to play Kelvin, Hooiveld and Danny Fox in some games ffs- 8th was decent with good attacking football to boot.

I will admit though that goalscoring has remained a problem for us no matter whoever the manager, but this season takes the pis*.

Puel was my third choice manager for Saints, and right now I'll give him a grade C for the season.

League position is good and semifinal is great, but lack of goals and that dismal, dismal Europa league campaign (particularly away games) leaves more to be desired.

If he can win us the league cup then as long as he doesn't relegate us it'll be a good season, and one I would take right now (e.g. 15th and the LC win)

That 2013/14 squad tbf to him- we had a good solid 13/14 players but Poch was forced to play Kelvin, Hooiveld and Danny Fox in some games ffs- 8th was decent with good attacking football to boot.

I will admit though that goalscoring has remained a problem for us no matter whoever the manager, but this season takes the pis*.

Puel was my third choice manager for Saints, and right now I'll give him a grade C for the season.

League position is good and semifinal is great, but lack of goals and that dismal, dismal Europa league campaign (particularly away games) leaves more to be desired.

If he can win us the league cup then as long as he doesn't relegate us it'll be a good season, and one I would take right now (e.g. 15th and the LC win)

We have no chance of winning the League Cup, we won't even make the final! Liverpool will turn us over at home 2/3 nil at home and there'll be no point turning up for the 2nd Leg.

I will wish Puel would do the honourable thing and resign now. Puel OUT.

No, anyone who thinks that after 5 months we should sack a new and hastily appointed manager who despite coming in at the 11th hour has managed so far to get a weak saints squad (in comparison to recent seasons) to 8th and into a domestic semi final and all whilst juggling Europa League and blooding youth players as per club policy....is a clueless bedwetting moron who's thirst for instant success would be better quenched at Stamford Bridge or the Etihad.

No one asked for instant success, no need to be a **** and tell someone to support another team. We all want Saints to do well, but Puel isn't the man for the job. Our football is in his image - dull, boring and uninspiring. Time for a change.

We're doing ok and he's getting used to a new league and a new type of football. Give him a chance.

I still don't like the diamond, we are better when set up 4-2-3-1. I also think he tries to be a bit too clever with his rotation. Would like to see him stick to his best XI.

Madness to want him out though. We're not bottom 4!

We're doing ok and he's getting used to a new league and a new type of football. Give him a chance.

I still don't like the diamond, we are better when set up 4-2-3-1. I also think he tries to be a bit too clever with his rotation. Would like to see him stick to his best XI.

Madness to want him out though. We're not bottom 4!

Don't want him out but after the last few years are we now saying he's only a disaster if we are notion 4? We are happy to regress to 23th or 13th are we?

Don't want him out but after the last few years are we now saying he's only a disaster if we are notion 4? We are happy to regress to 23th or 13th are we?

No, not happy at all. All I'm saying is maybe he needs a bit of time to settle in. We're not going down, I think it would be fair to judge him at the end of the season. If our football doesn't improve, and our league position isn't acceptable then let him go then.

Out .

Managers job is to get the best out of his players and play a style to suit their strength .

New league excuse doesn't make sense . Puel watches the games yet still plays the same negative way . Still doesn't know his best team .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I don't necessarily hold with the 'Puel out' view but some of our players need to adopt a better attitude. We looked second best for most of last night's game and one or two, seasoned professionals, looked like fish out of water. I have been a Saints supporter for over 50 years and I struggle to remember watching such dire football. I have said before that we will achieve nothing by passing sideways and backwards and we deserve what we get when sides up their game against us. While I agree we are in a cup semi final and 8th in the, poor quality, league I will not be making the 240 mile round trip for home games while we continue to serve up this dross.

Out for me.

I've seen no progression. Each game seems to be 10% brilliance and tempo followed by 90% of cluelessness from the team.

He's had more than enough time to stop them from hoofing it away and giving it straight back to the opposition too, who then come back and score.

There's little composure in the squad. You could see the shoulders fall when Spurs equalised. At least Puel seems to be more animated on the touchline than when he arrived but he seems to gesticulate more for camera effect than motivation. I sit close enough to the bench to see that he has little or no impact on the players on the pitch.

His greatest fault is however totally ignoring the quality we (still) have and insisting on playing a system they dont either understand and can't adapt from when it goes wrong. Koeman had worked out the teams individual strengths and was playing to them. To be fair, took him 6 months but with Koeman there was patience and a realisation that his problems were driven by Boardroom sales rather than a relatively stable squad.

Overall? It's not working. 8th place is flattering- more a result of the odd piece of individual brilliance by our half decent team. Puel has added nothing.

I think we should remove him asp. BUT... one rule in football is never let the manager go without identifying a better replacement first. Who is there out there? Eddie Howe? Would he leave? Would we pay out to get him - there's one difference with the two, Howe gets some results with mediocre players, Puel gets some results with ok and good ones. I can't see him coming yet - can't see a better replacement who's available, so we unfortunately have one choice - support the manager for the rest of the season.

We have a team that still could finish 8th and a manager who'll probably take us to 14th.

It won't be pretty football, it will be dull, boring, frustrating and the call for his head will get worse, but we need to start backing our team of some talented players- we need them to stay for the new manager and not give Les an opportunity to cash them in again.

I'll see after West Brom result but for all those saying "FFS we're in 8th"... there's only 3 points between us and 13th, so all could change by the weekend as it's very tight in those spots but yet the gap between where we are now and 6th increases by a bigger and bigger margin with each round of fixtures.

I'll see after West Brom result but for all those saying "FFS we're in 8th"... there's only 3 points between us and 13th, so all could change by the weekend as it's very tight in those spots but yet the gap between where we are now and 6th increases by a bigger and bigger margin with each round of fixtures.

We're almost certainly not going to finish sixth this season, but neither is any of the other clubs at our level. Get used to it.

We're almost certainly not going to finish sixth this season, but neither is any of the other clubs at our level. Get used to it.

Even if that's the case, it's also unlikely that we're going to do a 2013/14 when we finished 8th but with a comfortable gap (notwithstanding a wobbly finish) over the rest of the league.

Even if that's the case, it's also unlikely that we're going to do a 2013/14 when we finished 8th but with a comfortable gap (notwithstanding a wobbly finish) over the rest of the league.

Tell me about it. I've already booked the light aircraft for the stadium fly-past. Having a manager with a four-letter name don't half save money on the trailling banner.

Jamie Carraghar named him as his "new comer of the season so far" on sky podcast, but what does he know compared to the football experts on here

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Spot on. Some people need to get a bit of perspective. Hes 6 months into a new job and trying the team playing his style of football. Not to mention having to rotate constantly to deal with the large number of games already. He should at leastbe given two more transfer windows to try and build a better squad. The EL was disappointing but we are 8th and in a semi final.

Spot on. Some people need to get a bit of perspective. Hes 6 months into a new job and trying the team playing his style of football. Not to mention having to rotate constantly to deal with the large number of games already. He should at leastbe given two more transfer windows to try and build a better squad. The EL was disappointing but we are 8th and in a semi final.

He doesn't have to rotate as much as he does though .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I think this season has shown that we actually underachieved with Poch and Koeman considering the players they had at their disposal. Blew a good few chances of silverwear and possibly should have got 4th one season. The fact that this current crop of players isn't far behind where we were speaks volumes.

I think this season has shown that we actually underachieved with Poch and Koeman considering the players they had at their disposal. Blew a good few chances of silverwear and possibly should have got 4th one season. The fact that this current crop of players isn't far behind where we were speaks volumes.

Disagree, I actually think Poch gets the best out of the players he has (similar to Klopp at Liverpool).

Poch had to deal with kelvin, Danny fox and hooiveld. Sometimes in the same side

Poch had to deal with kelvin, Danny fox and hooiveld. Sometimes in the same side

In his first half-a-season, yes, but that's not true in the season we finished eighth.

Luke Shaw was the usual left back and Lovren and Fonte were the centre backs with Yoshida as back-up. KD was also back-up to Boruc.

In his first half-a-season, yes, but that's not true in the season we finished eighth.

Luke Shaw was the usual left back and Lovren and Fonte were the centre backs with Yoshida as back-up. KD was also back-up to Boruc.

Wrong. I remember losing 3-2 to Spurs at home in MP's second season with gazza, fox and jos all starting. Jos even managed an og.

Wrong. I remember losing 3-2 to Spurs at home in MP's second season with gazza, fox and jos all starting. Jos even managed an og.

No, I was right. So you are wrong in saying I am wrong.

Wrong.

Hooiveld and Fox each made three league appearances that season. Kelvin Davis made two. Gazza made seven starts and one sub appearance. So the idea that Poch was hamstrung by this abundance of dross is nonsense. Lovren made 31, Shaw 35 and Boruc 29 league starts in those positions.

Although you do make an interesting point, which is that we nearly always lose at home to Spurs in recent seasons.

Edited by benjii

No, I was right. So you are wrong in saying I am wrong.

Wrong.

Hooiveld and Fox each made three league appearances that season. Kelvin Davis made two. Gazza made seven starts and one sub appearance. So the idea that Poch was hamstrung by this abundance of dross is nonsense. Lovren made 31, Shaw 35 and Boruc 29 league starts in those positions.

Although you do make an interesting point, which is that we nearly always lose at home to Spurs in recent seasons.

Good try but you're wrong. That's not what was said. The fact is that Poch had to play those players at times. You're artificially introducing a new point about the frequency at which the aforementioned players featured. Whether they played the majority of time or a handful of times is a new point and not pertinent to the original point pal.

Edited by shurlock

Good try but you're wrong. That's not what was said. The fact is that Poch had to play those players at times. You're artificially introducing a new point about the frequency at which the aforementioned players featured. Whether they played the majority of time or a handful of times is a new point and not pertinent to the original point pal.

No, pal, you have misunderstood the conversation, pal. The premise was that Pochettino underachieved. This was rebutted on the basis that he had to field a lot of poor players. Obviously the person making that rebuttal meant this was often the case - it would be odd to relieve someone of the charge of underachieving over a league season based on a tiny sample of league matches where a few crap players played.

So you're wrong, pal. You misunderstood the suppressed premises.

It's ok to be wrong. If you're wrong and a smarmy ****, though (pal), with a misguided sense of their own intelligence pal, people will think you're a bit of a cock though, pal.

No, pal, you have misunderstood the conversation, pal. The premise was that Pochettino underachieved. This was rebutted on the basis that he had to field a lot of poor players. Obviously the person making that rebuttal meant this was often the case - it would be odd to relieve someone of the charge of underachieving over a league season based on a tiny sample of league matches where a few crap players played.

It's ok to be wrong. If you're wrong and a smarmy ****, though (pal), with a misguided sense of their own intelligence pal, people will think you're a bit of a cock though, pal.

You have to accept that for some the pain of the departure of Poch and the Italian will never heal. We finished eighth but it was, like, the bestest eighth place ever ever and Danny Fox and everything. The pain is still raw for some so you need to take account of their fragility.

Tonight thank God it's them, instead of you. #prayfortheCoC

You have to accept that for some the pain of the departure of Poch and the Italian will never heal. We finished eighth but it was, like, the bestest eighth place ever ever and Danny Fox and everything. The pain is still raw for some so you need to take account of their fragility.

Tonight thank God it's them, instead of you. #prayfortheCoC

The funny thing is, I don't even think Poch underachieved and if he'd stayed for another season we would have done really well (although I doubt much better than we actually did do anyway). But clearly he wasn't hamstrung in his second season by Fox, Hooiveld and Davis/Gazza considering they rarely played. So I was right. Not wrong.

#pal

:lol:

Not misunderstood anything. You just erred factually pal and had to concoct some bizarre guff about suppressed premises :lol:

If you want to talk about substance, it's worth pointing out that we had no attacking players beyond Jrod, Lambert and Lallana that season.

We had zero pace in the side after Jrod tore his acl and were reliant on ageing lambert such that we had to throw a raw and completely unready Gallagher into the mix. Our lack of forward options was so bare that Cork played as an AM in a number of games (e.g. Everton, h).

Missing Boruc for nearly a quarter of the season cost us clear, identifiable points. The trip to the Etihad still sticks out in the memory. Jos also cost us points: his howlers against Spurs (h) and Newcastle (a) being obvious examples. I could go on.

In but I understand why some would jettison him already. The results have been indifferent, the football negative at times, his seemingly dour demeanour drives me nuts and some of Puel's starting xi's (I don't like the Tinkerman approach) and tactics are very questionable. Not getting out of that poor Europa League group was a disgrace. That said it's not all down to him. The team is arguably the weakest for a while and the performance levels of a few players (for whatever reasons) have been disappointing generally this season (e.g. Long, Rodriguez, Fonte, Forster, Redmond). If he's to be given a fair crack at the job Puel needs two or three transfer windows to mould the squad the way he wants it and the board needs to back him with decent quality signings. There'll be a lot more downs as well as ups in the next 12 months though.

Edited by bazza