January 18 transfer window

SKD

Following Leandre's tweet I am going for a double swoop on Nice for Plea Winger/Striker and Seri playmaker.

Plea for about 25 and Seri 17mil I reckon (they lowered their price recently apparently)

Already have good relationship, have them team up with Boufal and have Gabbi's runs through the middle and we are in goal city :-)

Can we negotiate for the Nice manager, Lucien Favre, whilst we're at it?

Reading about the two from Nice reminded me that we were also linked with another of their players last season, Cyprien, until he sustained a major knee injury. All three are highly rated and I believe coached by Puel at one stage. Surprising then that their flair and skills weren't coached out of them as many believe this was his way.

yes, but I also remember the Championship.

Player desperate to get back into International Set-up of team who'll be at Russia, player who can get goals , player who Is out of contract in the Summer. Premier League experience.

More Positives than negatives.

You do,list some positives. But they don't outweigh the one big negative which is that it's balotelli who is bonkers. Our squad has a very fragile mentality right now, not helped by a couple of individuals with poisonous attitudes and over-inflated opinions of themselves. Adding to that is really not going to help.

Fortunately I've not seen one link to him anywhere so it would appear the club haven't even considered it.

True. And it would add some entertainment to an otherwise depressing relegation fight when he went off and did something crazy / monumentally stupid / both.

Yes that's exactly what we could do with during a relegation struggle, a Pruttonesque 12 game ban (or whatever it was) for the a chunk of the season.

Anyway rumours of him moving have been dismissed by the club president:

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/soccer-transfers/story/3326596/mario-balotelli-leaving-nice-in-january-is-unimaginable-club-president

You do,list some positives. But they don't outweigh the one big negative which is that it's balotelli who is bonkers. Our squad has a very fragile mentality right now, not helped by a couple of individuals with poisonous attitudes and over-inflated opinions of themselves. Adding to that is really not going to help.

Fortunately I've not seen one link to him anywhere so it would appear the club haven't even considered it.

Leandre Griffit retweeting a gif of Balotelli.

not to mention him tweeting

"I think the fans will get a Nice gift this winter .. some big names is coming., canot say it , .@SouthamptonFC @SouthamptonFCFR"

aren't many other big names there.

Player desperate to get back into International Set-up of team who'll be at Russia, player who can get goals , player who Is out of contract in the Summer. Premier League experience.

Italy didn't qualify

Unless I'm going bonkers, Italy have missed out on the World Cup.

It’s funny that our French manager leaves us and then 6 months later we might sign some French players?

This black box needs updating unless we spend bloody months monitoring and making decisions.

I thought that too. Still, if they're good players, they're good players, no? My son is very excited about us potentially getting Balotelli, nuts or not (Balotelli, not my son)

Leandre Griffit retweeting a gif of Balotelli.

not to mention him tweeting

"I think the fans will get a Nice gift this winter .. some big names is coming., canot say it , .@SouthamptonFC @SouthamptonFCFR"

aren't many other big names there.

Is that the same trail of tweets where griffit goes on to name Plea? The club president says balotelli is staying, plus they'd get significantly more cash for plea than balotelli with his contract status.

Plea is more our style I'd suggest, makes more sense to nice and appears confirmed by griffit. We shall see.

Is that the same trail of tweets where griffit goes on to name Plea? The club president says balotelli is staying, plus they'd get significantly more cash for plea than balotelli with his contract status.

Plea is more our style I'd suggest, makes more sense to nice and appears confirmed by griffit. We shall see.

yes, it is. hence trail on here

It’s funny that our French manager leaves us and then 6 months later we might sign some French players?

This black box needs updating unless we spend bloody months monitoring and making decisions.

isnt that exactly what we do - monitor a players performance over a long period not just make a snap decision based on an a gamers recommendation?

Plea would decent, Ballotelli funny/entertaining. I thought we should have gone for him when he was a free to be honest.

But I find people desperately wanting to replace Gabbiadini a bit short sighted. We'll be back here next year with people saying we need to replace Plea. This is west ham strategy. We've been better than that.

Gabbiadini is a good striker starved of service. He came in in good form and in a team creating a few chances and showed what he could do. Then injury and return to a badly out of form, negative side. People outside the club just assume he's turned rubbish, fans not watching closely assume he's turned rubbish. All I see is a really frustrated striker making decent runs and never getting a chance. Be mad to let him go.

If we spend a fortune on another striker, I just see another frustrated player stuck up there. Might grab a few like Austin, but even that didn't get us many points. We're just trying to stick very expensive plasters on the titanic.

He's good, sure, but if his entire game is making runs, then that's a tad one dimensional for my liking. If we intend to play one striker, we need a more balanced player (imo).

he's scored 5 in 18, so definitely more our style...

Mouctar Diakhaby?

Hes a unit, but feels like an accident waiting to happen when on the ball. Decision making in terms of passing leaves a lot to be desired. Still very young. Every time I see a young CB mentioned I ask why we signed Bednarek.

Edited by Chez

Gabbiadini already proven what he can do as the lone striker when he first joined. The difference since his return from injury has been a complete lack of support and crosses.

V Man Utd in the cup final JWP and Cedric kept linking up in the final third and crossing the ball. What's he supposed to do if he's the only player in the half?

Perhaps then we need a player who can hold up the ball a bit better and allow players to join and support him.

Perhaps then we need a player who can hold up the ball a bit better and allow players to join and support him.

I think you might be right. We have looked our best when Austin did exactly that in the Everton game. He's not even a great hold up man, but the ball needs to stick and skill players play off the front man.

Exactly what we need.

balotelli Would suit our needs, but in an unstable dressing room (which we currently have) I’m not sure he’s the best option. Plea is more of what we currently have (but better) so I reckon of the two we’d be more inclined to go for him.

If I’m honest, we could probably do with both and sack the idea of bringing Walcott back

Ballotelli is a weird one. On his day he's amazing and can change a game from out of nowhere.

He's impulsive and sometimes does silly things but he doesn't struggle with the same sort of mental issues that Osvaldo did (clinical manic depression).

He will not suit a pressing game or really offer much of anything when out of possession. I could also see him getting frustrated with poor supply and flaring up due to this..

However, he is technically brilliant, physically powerful, a great finisher, and quite mobile.

He only seems to perform well with encouragement, but when he's confident and feels wanted he can be brilliant.

He's a massive gamble, but if we build a team around him and played to his strengths then he could easily get 20+ goals a season.

Celtic want an absolute fortune for him. I wonder if they might price themselves out of the market.

I think they want £21m which isn't completely crazy in this day and age. Mind you, he's not been great so far, touch has been poor. He'll probably go and get a second half hat-trick now I've said that ...

I have, however, spotted one player in the old firm first half who would definitely suit our current squad Nico kranjcar. Never seen a performance where a player has look less arsed in my life. An embarrassment to his profession today. So perfect for us at the moment ...

Ballotelli is a weird one. On his day he's amazing and can change a game from out of nowhere.

He's impulsive and sometimes does silly things but he doesn't struggle with the same sort of mental issues that Osvaldo did (clinical manic depression).

He will not suit a pressing game or really offer much of anything when out of possession. I could also see him getting frustrated with poor supply and flaring up due to this..

However, he is technically brilliant, physically powerful, a great finisher, and quite mobile.

He only seems to perform well with encouragement, but when he's confident and feels wanted he can be brilliant.

He's a massive gamble, but if we build a team around him and played to his strengths then he could easily get 20+ goals a season.

Rather sadistically, it would be amusing to see Redmond, tadic and balotelli have a competition each match day to see who can moan at their teammates and ref the most. I reckon as a team we'd be record breakers.

I think they want £21m which isn't completely crazy in this day and age. Mind you, he's not been great so far, touch has been poor. He'll probably go and get a second half hat-trick now I've said that ...

I have, however, spotted one player in the old firm first half who would definitely suit our current squad Nico kranjcar. Never seen a performance where a player has look less arsed in my life. An embarrassment to his profession today. So perfect for us at the moment ...

i thought they wanted double that. £21m is more realistic. How is Tierney playing? He's the real genuine talent in that side.

Exactly what we need.

balotelli Would suit our needs, but in an unstable dressing room (which we currently have) I’m not sure he’s the best option. Plea is more of what we currently have (but better) so I reckon of the two we’d be more inclined to go for him.

If I’m honest, we could probably do with both and sack the idea of bringing Walcott back

No it isn't. If you remember we had Pelle doing that job and he was a whipping boy for our cretinous fan base. Not mobile enough, too slow, weak for a big guy, not very good, worries more about his hair, hibernates during winter etc. He was ironically cheered on his home debut and given all sorts of abuse by the crowd in his time here. What makes you think that if we had a player who could hold the ball up he wouldn't get similar treatment?

Pretty well. Typical old firm game though, so no time on the ball for anyone. Tierney has combined well with Sinclair down the left and brown his been his usual thuggish yet effective self. Only other thing of note is that Sinclair has ridiculous hair.

Pretty well. Typical old firm game though, so no time on the ball for anyone. Tierney has combined well with Sinclair down the left and brown his been his usual thuggish yet effective self. Only other thing of note is that Sinclair has ridiculous hair.

This Celtic team usually look world beaters but haven't looked that special today , As each old firm game has gone by this season Rangers have got closer in quality a couple of additions in the summer and Celtic won't be running away with it like the past few years so they may need funds to invest too !?

No it isn't. If you remember we had Pelle doing that job and he was a whipping boy for our cretinous fan base. Not mobile enough, too slow, weak for a big guy, not very good, worries more about his hair, hibernates during winter etc. He was ironically cheered on his home debut and given all sorts of abuse by the crowd in his time here. What makes you think that if we had a player who could hold the ball up he wouldn't get similar treatment?

Whoever it is, Unless they come in and instantly score a hatful a large % of our fan base will write them off anyway. As they did Mane, Boufal, Pelle ect....

I say sack them all and bring in 11 JWPs who say the right thing and are young, hungry and therefore going to improve.

Exciting window beckons

So hopefuls range from following:

Balotelli

Sturridge

Dembele

Walcott

Plea

Great fun just reading the rumours! One thing that is now apparent is that the "Kat Cap" on pay is now less of a focus, hence the links to established names. We may not be dining at the top table, but under new owner, we might just now consider paying the going rate in salaries for those clubs our size, and in our immediate line of competition!

Up the Saints

Rangers' right back Tavernier looks really good

Thought the same, my motm. Certainly would be better than pied or Stephens as a back-up right back. Given that he can actually cross, could be an upgrad on Cedric?

Only thing is, with the lower standard it's hard to judge. Thought one of the Celtic cbs looked good, but he's not up against aguero is he?

Liked that tierney had a bit of feistiness, one thing I've noticed is that none of our academy products appear to have real leadership qualities.

Thought the same, my motm. Certainly would be better than pied or Stephens as a back-up right back. Given that he can actually cross, could be an upgrad on Cedric?

Only thing is, with the lower standard it's hard to judge. Thought one of the Celtic cbs looked good, but he's not up against aguero is he?

Liked that tierney had a bit of feistiness, one thing I've noticed is that none of our academy products appear to have real leadership qualities.

Think we are weak at right back. Don't think Pied is up to much and need a competitive alternative to Cedric, not just a stop gap, I.e Stephens. Need someone who can get down the line and venture forward with confidence

Think we are weak at right back. Don't think Pied is up to much and need a competitive alternative to Cedric, not just a stop gap, I.e Stephens. Need someone who can get down the line and venture forward with confidence

Agreed, but having just looked tavernier up on Wikipedia, he's 26 and struggled to make it in English lower leagues. That means he's either a) made to look good by Scottish standards, b) not consistent enough for top level or c) a late developer who needed a run of games to get confidence.

Still baffled by the decision to offload McCarthy this summer as if pied is behind make-shift Stephens (not Stephens' fault) then surely McCarthy would have been worth a go?

Anyone know how Valery is progressing? Thought we had high hopes for him. But again, if so why play Stephens ahead of him? Like a few recent decisions at saints, it is baffling.

Edited by Chewy
Bracket in wrong place

Hes a unit, but feels like an accident waiting to happen when on the ball. Decision making in terms of passing leaves a lot to be desired. Still very young. Every time I see a young CB mentioned I ask why we signed Bednarek.

I think this was a strange one as well, also looking at him in pre-season (Augsburg) I thought he looked a long way from premiere standard. Maybe one for the future, but right now not good enough.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Edited by Micky