January 18 transfer window

SKD

Can't see us buying Walcott as reed won't make any long term profit on that deal....

I just hope we've got our targets ready and move on 1st January but head says reed will dither over a million or so and we'll go into last few days of transfer window holding out for a bargain deal. This will likely see us relegated.

Didn't watch Palace v Arsenal but was Walcott lobbing his shirt into the crowd at the end in true "I'm off" fashion?

Wouldn’t be surprised if they lobbed it back..... According to the gooners I know, they hate him.

I can't imagine Sturridge being that keen - yes he'll get football but for someone like that it's a massive drop down in the kudos stakes.

If he wants games in a World Cup year then we're as good an (English) option as any. Going from Liverpool to Everton is unlikely and after that we're much of a muchness, really. Doesn't really suit Leicester's style and probably wouldn't go in for Burnley's siege mentality.

Would Sturridge be an upgrade on Gabbi? I generally don’t think he would, not the sort of Centre Forward we need, IMO.

Maybe not long term, but what we need right now is cutting edge and quickly. My big fear is that he'd show up, score in the first few weeks, then get injured and put us back to square one.

Edited by DuncanRG

I don't think getting loads of new players in will solve the issue. We got 8th and a cup final last season without VVD Austin and Boufal for most of the season. Now we've added to that with Lemina and VVDs replacement. Granted points wise it wasn't great but we were never in danger of the drop and we had more cup/European games to deal with. The football only got really bad a few games after the cup final by which time we were already safe.

The main problem is the Manager persists with hugely under performing players Tadic, Redmond and Forster (How bad can McCarthy be!?) If so why did we buy him?

He's also never played Gabbiandini with Austin upfront even when we had 5 at the back!

If he turns it round fair play but I can't see it.

Wilson's article reads a bit like the board's fantasy list - I'd be surprised if any of the links pan out, given how difficult the January market is to negotiate. Anyone remember the Wilson articles at the start of summer discussing preferred German managerial targets like Tuchel and Schmidt? This feels much the same.

Wilson's article reads a bit like the board's fantasy list - I'd be surprised if any of the links pan out, given how difficult the January market is to negotiate. Anyone remember the Wilson articles at the start of summer discussing preferred German managerial targets like Tuchel and Schmidt? This feels much the same.

I’m not that optimistic myself. A player is going to look at many variables when deciding whether or not to move here but when considering their options they will see a team that is two points out of relegation, has one win in the last ten, that is run by a so-far unsuccessful and not particularly well-known manager. I’m not sure that this temporary transition to big-spenders is going to produce the results we are looking for. It could just get embarrassing, as it often is for West Ham.

The thing that goes in our favor with Walcott and Sturridge is that it's a world cup year next year and they are not getting games whilst being on the periphery of the England squad. They need games for a club and they need them quickly. There'll both drop down to us imo.

Sturridge is injured again. Sessegnon is off to Spurs (for more than we'd ever pay in any case).

West Ham were supposed to be all over Mawson - and they'd be welcome to him. He's not even an upgrade on Stephens.

We won't sign any of them. This is just the club's mouthpiece selling a puff piece on Les' behalf to try and appease the disillusioned supporters still gullible enough to believe that the powers that be have the foggiest idea what they're playing at.

I think we'll sign Walcott and a really underwhelming squad player, Elia type of loan, and that'll be the Van Dijk funds "reinvested".

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Sturridge is injured again. Sessegnon is off to Spurs (for more than we'd ever pay in any case).

West Ham were supposed to be all over Mawson - and they'd be welcome to him. He's not even an upgrade on Stephens.

We won't sign any of them. This is just the club's mouthpiece selling a puff piece on Les' behalf to try and appease the disillusioned supporters still gullible enough to believe that the powers that be have the foggiest idea what they're playing at.

I think we'll sign Walcott and a really underwhelming squad player, Elia type of loan, and that'll be the Van Dijk funds "reinvested".

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Spot on. While the obvious huge improvement would be getting a manager

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The article chucks a load of names out there, yet doesn't name the one player that we are allegedly close to a deal for (player from France).

The names are pure guff to try and appease the easily pleased fans. The only one on that list of names that would intrigue me is Sessegnon, but that will never happen.

The article chucks a load of names out there, yet doesn't name the one player that we are allegedly close to a deal for (player from France).

The names are pure guff to try and appease the easily pleased fans. The only one on that list of names that would intrigue me is Sessegnon, but that will never happen.

Why do you think fans other than yourself are easily pleased. Sure it’s nice that the names banded around would undoubtedly improve the team but we (most) of us are more than intelligent enough to realise that judgement will be passed on actual transfer window results.

Alassane Pléa from Nice? Wasn't he linked to us last season as well?

Just our sort of signing :-)

On 20 February 2017, Pléa underwent arthroscopy of the right knee in Lyon, which would likely put him out of action for five months. Eight days earlier, he had injured his right knee during the first half of a Ligue 1 match against Rennes and had to be substituted in the 43rd minute. As of 21 February 2017, he was Nice's top Ligue 1 scorer and was 5th in the Ligue 1 top scorers' chart of the 2016-2017 season with 11 Ligue 1 goals.[5][6]

I think Walcott would supply part of what the squad is missing. After a run of games he scores fairly regularly cutting in from out wide and has the pace that we miss.

Sturridge has another muscle injury, probably won't be fit while there's cold weather but might be able to make a contribution after March I suppose. Annoying dancer but great finisher. Unfortunately he's so regularly crippled by injuries I can't see anyone getting more than a dozen games out of him in half a season.

Giroud would be great but apparently he's completely disinterested in a move.

We need a powerful player who can hold the ball up and link play, and a commanding centre back who can organise the defense as neither Hoedt or Yoshida seem capable.

We're massively short of assertive personalities in the squad. We need someone who can lead and generate self belief in the team. Not sure who, as it would pretty much have to be an English speaker with good leadership qualities and mental strength.

All we need on top of the players linked in Wilson’s article are Jamie and Harry. Might as well get Olivier Bernard in for depth as well! Mawson is an ordinary centre half no way good enough to be a replacement for van Dijk. He’s only rated because he’s English.

Absolutely reeks of 2005 this, hope we stay well clear of all these players apart from Sessegnon

All we need on top of the players linked in Wilson’s article are Jamie and Harry. Might as well get Olivier Bernard in for depth as well! Mawson is an ordinary centre half no way good enough to be a replacement for van Dijk. He’s only rated because he’s English.

Absolutely reeks of 2005 this, hope we stay well clear of all these players apart from Sessegnon

Agreed. I really don't want Mawson, he doesn't look anything like good enough from what I've seen, and Walcott and Sturridge are underwhelming in my book.

Agreed. I really don't want Mawson, he doesn't look anything like good enough from what I've seen, and Walcott and Sturridge are underwhelming in my book.

Walcott and Sturridge are underwhelming?! Who are you expecting? Messi? Some fans have truly unrealistic expectations.

People are "underwhelmed" by Sturridge & Walcott???

FFS.

Who do they think we could sign, and they would be "whelmed" by at the very least - I'm not even asking for "over-whelmed", just "whelmed" would do.

Wouldn’t be underwhelmed at either. Just think there’s better value for players on the continent. Wages, transfer fees will be ridiculous plus they’ll likely be injured most the season, lack any real motivation and not deliver what we need.

Younger better players are available on the continent, but because Sturridge is English and Walcott came through our academy they’re overrated by the majority.

Wouldn’t be underwhelmed at either. Just think there’s better value for players on the continent. Wages, transfer fees will be ridiculous plus they’ll likely be injured most the season, lack any real motivation and not deliver what we need.

Younger better players are available on the continent, but because Sturridge is English and Walcott came through our academy they’re overrated by the majority.

Not sure Walcott, being a local boy, would lack motivation to be honest.

Not sure Walcott, being a local boy, would lack motivation to be honest.

Playing devils advocate, I'm not sure whether being local would really affect his motivation - does it really matter? Sure, if you're a fan of the club but he's a Liverpool fan apparently. Anyway, I'd say there would certainly be considerations about how "hungry" he is - we'd be a step down without doubt and he wouldn't be coming here to win trophies. You could argue that we would be a big payday for a player coming to the end of his career who has got used to sitting on the bench (at best). Anyway, there's pros and cons to signing older players from big clubs and motivation would have to be considered. Same goes for Sturridge. Obviously it depends on the player but it's a very West Ham type of signing and never appears to do them much good.