Summer 2018 Transfer/HCDAJFU Thread

SuperSAINT

Let's give Berahino a shot from Stoke City. I firmly believe there are 20+ goals a season within him. He'll cost peanuts too. Daryl Pennant mentioned it on Twitter the other week.

He is an absolute ****. Look at how he ****ed around at WBA when he didn't get his move, then look at how he's ****ed around at Stoke when he hasn't been a 'regular'. He hasn't scored a goal in over 2 years. He needs to drop down to a lower league.

Maybe we could strike a deal for Harry Reed....(one thing going for us, we have players like Gallagher/Targett etc who would be first picks for 90% of NPC teams)

Errr... Gallagher wasn't first pick for Birmingham for much of the season, and they're ****.

That Striker at Celtic Dembers

That midfielder at Celtic Armstrong replacement for Davis.

New right back for Pied? Any decent championship youngish players? Cyrus Christie?

Luke Shaw for Bertrand if he goes.

Christian Julian / Diop ( new centre back )

Ambitious Signings

Promes and Sisto

Sell the rubbish..... Job done

tbf he has been injured a fair bit this year. He was a regular for Blackburn.

He's also had periods when he's just not been selected for Birmingham, and Blackburn were relegated. He is definitely not a first pick in 90% of Championship teams, I can name any number of Championship forwards who are better than he is.

So what are we going to do with Reed, Gallagher and Targett?

Move reed on. He’s not going to displace our current center mids imo.

Targett. If Bertie leaves i’d Prefer we give targett/mcqueen chance to sine & invest money elsewhere in squad. If Ryan stays you’d expect targett to move on.

I’d like to see gallagher give a chance next season largely as there’s a number of our existing attackers should be move on. Before he got injured and was being played in his natural position he scored some goals for Birmingham just as he did for Blackburn.

Interesting tangental ITK snippet of info there LeG. Anything you can expand upon? e.g. which bit of land did we miss out on and how critical was it to Gao's plans for the area around the stadium?

Cheers

At a guess i would say where Airlynx is now??

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Too soon? Can I actually start thinking about Premier league signings rather than Championship?

- Dominating centre-back please.

- Goal scoring No.10

- Speedster winger

- Actual top notch striker

- Standard replacements for any annual leavers.

And there's the problem right there, 24hrs after the lord mayor's show but are we really that much further on? Guess we'll now get to test MLG's theory that we are better off rebuilding in the Prem than the Champ.

We have an absent owner who had to borrow money (a lot of money) to buy the club, who appears to think that MP2 was sufficient for three quarters of the season, and who thought swapping VVD for Carillo represented a decent window for a team who were struggling.

That shopping list would cost 50m for the basics range, 100m-plus for anything decent and upto 200m for the finest range. Poll please mods-will we net-spend 50m, 100m or 200m this summer?:mcinnes:

And there's the problem right there, 24hrs after the lord mayor's show but are we really that much further on? Guess we'll now get to test MLG's theory that we are better off rebuilding in the Prem than the Champ.

We have an absent owner who had to borrow money (a lot of money) to buy the club, who appears to think that MP2 was sufficient for three quarters of the season, and who thought swapping VVD for Carillo represented a decent window for a team who were struggling.

That shopping list would cost 50m for the basics range, 100m-plus for anything decent and upto 200m for the finest range. Poll please mods-will we net-spend 50m, 100m or 200m this summer?:mcinnes:

I'm puzzled by the thought process of anyone thinking that wasn't the case. Blatantly obvious it is harder to rebuild anything when you have £100m+ less in income.

Plus, if you mean theory in a scientific sense... then that is a conclusion based on facts and not a guess.

Edited by Matthew Le God

I'm puzzled by the thought process of anyone thinking that wasn't the case. Blatantly obvious it is harder to rebuild anything when you have £100m+ less in income.

Plus, if you mean theory in a scientific sense... then that is a conclusion based on facts and not a guess.

But who can buy the best house? A millionaire in Epsom or a bin man in Bridlington? The millionaire would be laughed out of town and the bin man would live pretty comfortably.

But who can buy the best house? A millionaire in Epsom or a bin man in Bridlington? The millionaire would be laughed out of town and the bin man would live pretty comfortably.

Epsom £1m, 4 bed detached house

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/47553101?search_identifier=4d6cacf43cae3fe63a448033759ff47b#QwvzSoooiQfYKPvw.97

Bridlington on a binman's wage

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/47560666?search_identifier=173be6e14c60fdf9ed3acf7f1f2e22c4

I'd go for the former! ;)

From the man that thinks Everton fans have had a more enjoyable season than Wolves fans.

What's Benjamin Bourigeaud of Rennes like (I know, not a defender)?

I know nothing about him. However when you look at all of the dross signed from France by the likes of West Ham, Newcastle, Sunderland etc you just have to be watchful. Good players in conditions that suit them but many just aren't adaptable to the pace and aggression of the premier league.

We are mentioned in there, along with Brighton and Everton.

Arsenal don't even have a manager and where is he going to play in a team with Ozil, Mikhtaryan, Ramsey, Wilshere etc. Same goes for Man City, Phil Foden is one of the brightest young English prospects and he's managed 4 games this year. he's also not going to displace Ali and Erikson.

If the lad has any sense he'll find a place a lower club first and establish himself.

Do hope we are looking at him and other young championship talent as I feel this is an area we have overlooked in recent years.

We are mentioned in there, along with Brighton and Everton.

Arsenal don't even have a manager and where is he going to play in a team with Ozil, Mikhtaryan, Ramsey, Wilshere etc. Same goes for Man City, Phil Foden is one of the brightest young English prospects and he's managed 4 games this year. he's also not going to displace Ali and Erikson.

If the lad has any sense he'll find a place a lower club first and establish himself.

Do hope we are looking at him and other young championship talent as I feel this is an area we have overlooked in recent years.

Agree with that. We should be mining the talent from the Champo and developing it for Liverpool to pay us £50M for in a year's time! :) Wahey!

I know nothing about him. However when you look at all of the dross signed from France by the likes of West Ham, Newcastle, Sunderland etc you just have to be watchful. Good players in conditions that suit them but many just aren't adaptable to the pace and aggression of the premier league.

True. Look at Thauvin at Marseille now - scoring and setting up goals for fun, yet at Newcastle was a complete flop.

Someone mentioned Cyrus Christie above, but actually Fulham's first choice right back is Ryan Fredericks and he's always looked pretty good whenever I've seen him. I really think we could do better than Cedric, defensively he's really poor at times and despite a couple of good crosses in the last two games his end product is far worse than any full back I can remember us having in recent years.

Someone mentioned Cyrus Christie above, but actually Fulham's first choice right back is Ryan Fredericks and he's always looked pretty good whenever I've seen him. I really think we could do better than Cedric, defensively he's really poor at times and despite a couple of good crosses in the last two games his end product is far worse than any full back I can remember us having in recent years.

I think Cedric is actually a lot better defensively than he is going forward. He's very solid defensively IMO, not many beat him and he covers for the centre-backs A LOT, but going forward his crossing is often woeful and his decision making is poor.

Why? His ability level has fallen off a cliff, he isn't remotely close to the player he once was.

Probably because the FA have clamped down on rough play just a bit. I mean Shawcross with only 2 yellows in a whole season, that must cramp his style somewhat.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Why? His ability level has fallen off a cliff, he isn't remotely close to the player he once was.

I'm not sure that's true, Stoke fans have generally been lamenting that it was his mistake that led to Palace's goal, because he has been a rare consistent performer, not just in the past but also this season.

I don't watch football apart from Saints though, so only going on what I hear rather than what I've seen for myself. I also had the same opinion as you until I heard this from Stoke fans.

I think Cedric is actually a lot better defensively than he is going forward. He's very solid defensively IMO, not many beat him and he covers for the centre-backs A LOT, but going forward his crossing is often woeful and his decision making is poor.

I'd agree with that. His big weakness defensively is he is a short arse and other teams are quite fond of sticking a big CF on him to capitalize on that. Going forward he quite often takes up good positions when joining an attack and then wastes it with god awful final balls.

They also have Amavi who, if I recall correctly, was a total waste of time at Villa.

Didn't he get injured at Villa? I also recall him being linked with PL clubs after their relegation, but perhaps that was based on the player he was before he joined them rather than his tenure at Villa Park. I remember him making a big mistake early in the season, but that doesn't mean he was rubbish overall.

I still think he stands off a hell of a lot, lets so many crosses and shots come in, and as mentioned he is so short that it's the easiest trick in the book to just stick a cross on him and let a Giroud/Murray/Depoitre/Welbeck/Vokes just nod it in at the back post. I rate his workrate/commitment, but not his ability, personally.

Cedric is a very good RB. We’d struggle to get better. He was fantastic against Swansea.

His height is an issue, but the CB should be smart enough to counter that and pull across. It hasn’t helped Stephens playing RCB as he is even worse in the air.

He looks ideal for 3/5 at the back. His work rate and pace is a real asset down the right hand side.

Cedric is a very good RB. We’d struggle to get better. He was fantastic against Swansea.

His height is an issue, but the CB should be smart enough to counter that and pull across. It hasn’t helped Stephens playing RCB as he is even worse in the air.

He looks ideal for 3/5 at the back. His work rate and pace is a real asset down the right hand side.

The problem I have with Cedric is his reluctance to get forward, but I'm hoping that's due to a lack of confidence and/or playing under Pellegrino for so long. As a wing back his crossing also needs to improve a lot. We can't have a wide player who puts in one good cross every four matches.

I'm not convinced Cedric is great, but I also think we have a lot more pressing needs elsewhere so we should just accept that he will be our RB and hope Hughes can get the best out of him/improve his weaknesses.

Makes me laugh this whole "RB & LB to small" they always are normally as the act as wingers, good strikers always exploit this. Look at Lambert! Giroud is another master of this. Not rocket science and hardly can blame the RB or LB. Blame the CB. If anything Stephens is a mess, he cant head at all and is a CB.

he is a country mile better than Hoedt and Stephens

He really isn't, he's been bad for a while, he's made a mistake everytime I see time and he consistently goes to ground even in the box, he is also part of the joint worst defence in the league, even though they have a rated England keeper. Plus Lambert has had them playing pretty defensively since he took over and they still have conceded that many goals.

-----------------

As for Cedric, most full backs are short and centre-forwards who are good in the air pulling onto them is fairly common, it;s the job of the centre-backs to prevent that but we lack leadership there.

I don't think we'll find a better right back without spending a lot, he just needs to work on his attacking play, he's not bad at beating a man and gets into plenty of good positions with good movement but his final ball is often awful.

But he's quick, works very hard, runs all day, technically is sound (aside the crossing) and is a very good defender 1v1.

I hope this is not true. Not necessarily because I want him here, but because I hate watching talented young English players rotting away on the reserves or on the bench of the top English teams. Case in point from this season: Solanke.

He's also had periods when he's just not been selected for Birmingham, and Blackburn were relegated. He is definitely not a first pick in 90% of Championship teams, I can name any number of Championship forwards who are better than he is.

You are quite wrong. Sam started 23 matches for Birmingham in the Championship and came on 10 times so was involved in 33 of the 42 games he was on their books (They had played 4 games already in the league when he joined). He was sent off once so that accounts for missing 1 match and was injured. He picked up a calf injury v Cardiff March 10th which sidelined him for 7 games. That means he was involved in every match apart from one which makes a mockery of your post. Plus I know for a fact Birmingham were desperate to sign him on a full time basis as were more than a dozen other clubs inc Wolves and Villa. If you go onto either Sam or Birmingham's Twitter pages you will see how highly the fans regard him. Finally I was at Sunday's game v Fulham and when Sam got subbed in the 75th minute he got one of the loudest standing ovations I have heard with the whole ground on their feet.

You are quite wrong. Sam started 23 matches for Birmingham in the Championship and came on 10 times so was involved in 33 of the 42 games he was on their books (They had played 4 games already in the league when he joined). He was sent off once so that accounts for missing 1 match and was injured. He picked up a calf injury v Cardiff March 10th which sidelined him for 7 games. That means he was involved in every match apart from one which makes a mockery of your post. Plus I know for a fact Birmingham were desperate to sign him on a full time basis as were more than a dozen other clubs inc Wolves and Villa. If you go onto either Sam or Birmingham's Twitter pages you will see how highly the fans regard him. Finally I was at Sunday's game v Fulham and when Sam got subbed in the 75th minute he got one of the loudest standing ovations I have heard with the whole ground on their feet.

I was wondering when you would be along to put things right. [emoji6]

The last thing we should do now is start hiring loads of cast offs from other failed clubs. OK if Man C or Ma u want to shed one or two older players like Yaya Toure then we should try to bring them in, we need a wise old head or two and some real quality. We will need a few fresh faces as otherwise ewe may just have delayed the inevitable for one more season.

Hopefully there will not be a summer exodus of our better players like Bertie, Tadic or Cedric despite the unfair stick they get from the less intelligent part of our fanbase. Anybody who has seen the great joy in our dressing room after the Swansea win can have no serious doubts about the sheer commitment of these guys to this club and this team. Of course a few will have to go, on my list Austin, Long, Boufal and Redmond probably also Forster who will want first team football somewhere.

So what are we going to do with Reed, Gallagher and Targett?

Sell Reed.

Keep Targett (assuming Bertrand is off)

Gallagher a difficult one. Not quite good enough for us, yet but something there. I’d keep as he is better than Long and Carrillo, imo but he’s be better off getting game time every week.

Sell Reed.

Keep Targett (assuming Bertrand is off)

Gallagher a difficult one. Not quite good enough for us, yet but something there. I’d keep as he is better than Long and Carrillo, imo but he’s be better off getting game time every week.

Not difficult at all. We keep him. This is the year he needs to play regularly for us. I would release Austin to make that happen.

Keep Targett.

Reed - undecided.

Ryan Fredericks on a free from Fulham if they don't get promoted would be a good option at right back to replace Cedric. I'd also move Stephens across as back-up right back. Carl Jenkinson - currently on loan at Birmingham from Arsenal - could be another option at right back.

Matt Target and Sam McQueen can replace Bertrand at left back.

Tom Cairney - again if Fulham don't get promoted - would be a good replacement for Steven Davis who probably need to move on. And give us an attacking midfielder that can score goals.

Sisto/Promes/Ziyech could all be good replacements for Boufal. And Tadic if needed.

More importantly we need a dominant first choice centre back and a first choice goal scoring forward. Maybe we should steal Dragovic from under the noses of Leicester as he's only on loan.

Not difficult at all. We keep him. This is the year he needs to play regularly for us. I would release Austin to make that happen.

Keep Targett.

Reed - undecided.

Gallagher over Austin? Up there with the worst things I've seen on this forum :mcinnes:

Gallagher is useless

McGinn from Hibs

Rogic from Celtic

Shawcross from Stoke

Evans from West Brom

Sessgenon from Fulham

Would all be on my list ...

McGinn is coming 31 and SPL or championship level at best. Shawcross is declining. The other three i would take