Merrington v John Williams on Solent

OldNick

I sometimes tune in after match to listen to the aftermath summaries on Solent.

The positive impact of John Williams who is so pro Bournemouth compared to the negative and constant negatives Merringotn puts is like chalk and chees.

Bournemouth could lose 5-0 and Williams adds positives, whereas Merrinton hardly ever gives upbeat summaries. He is so dour and negative. About time we had someone reviewing Saints in a more positive way that lifts the depressed fan base after a game.

The positive impact of John Williams who is so pro Bournemouth compared to the negative and constant negatives Merringotn puts is like chalk and chees.

Bournemouth could lose 5-0 and Williams adds positives, whereas Merrinton hardly ever gives upbeat summaries. He is so dour and negative. About time we had someone reviewing Saints in a more positive way that lifts the depressed fan base after a game.

Dont know where you get this from?

if anything, certainly before a game he can be too bias towards saints winning.

And he's hardly had much to be positive about in the last two years.

Dont know where you get this from?

if anything, certainly before a game he can be too bias towards saints winning.

And he's hardly had much to be positive about in the last two years.

Nick wants to retire in North Korea. Problem with Merrington isn’t that he’s too negative -whenever I’ve heard him he’s been pretty bullish. The problem is that his views on the game are thoroughly dated.

Disagree. Merrington is very realistic and as an old boy, he really sees through all the BS that comes with modern players. Williams is decent but he's too pro-Bournemouth, never seems to say anything negative about them. They've just been beaten 4-0 by bottom of the league and he's finding positives.... unrealistic imo.

Perhaps it is simply that there is more to be positive about at AFCB than there is with Saints at the moment. They have a manager they believe in, an owner and board who have delivered the 'impossible' of getting PL football at 'Dean Court (in 'old money') and play attractive attacking football.

Just a thought.

Dont see that at all. Merrington talks sense and calls a spade a spade. Williams is totally incapable of criticism towards Bournemouth so therefore can’t give a balanced view.

If we have been ****e I don’t want to get back in the car and listen to soneone tell me it wasn’t as bad as I thought etc. Don’t get that with Dave.

Dont see that at all. Merrington talks sense and calls a spade a spade. Williams is totally incapable of criticism towards Bournemouth so therefore can’t give a balanced view.

If we have been ****e I don’t want to get back in the car and listen to soneone tell me it wasn’t as bad as I thought etc. Don’t get that with Dave.

This. Far to many pundits seem to think that fans are either stupid or blind. Have the balls to say it as it is, or get your nose out of the easy payday trough.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

They’re both ****ing dinosaurs, who are totally incapable of giving any sort of modern analysis of the game. Punditry has moved on, they’re 20 years out of date . Although to be honest the whole station is.

Ive never met Merrington but he seems a decent bloke. I have shared a few nights out with Willo as I had a mate who was friendly with him during his playing days, he is a top bloke. However, it’s time to pension them both off (and Blackmore as well).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't want Dave M pensioned off, he is a genuine fellow who loves the Club and knows the game and the players well. He isn't out of date, he simploy remembers the days when there was loyalty to clubs and it wasn't all about money. Nice to have a voice from those days

Edited by Dellman

Rather they got shot of Blackmore and his mistake ridden, going off on a tangent and talking about his half time snack commentary.

If we are talking about Solent commentators we shouldn't forget Guy Whittingham who always sounds like he hasn't quite forgiven Pompey for his treatment when he was their manager.

The last thing we want to do now Adam is take Old Nick seriously

They’re both ****ing dinosaurs, who are totally incapable of giving any sort of modern analysis of the game. Punditry has moved on, they’re 20 years out of date . Although to be honest the whole station is.

Ive never met Merrington but he seems a decent bloke. I have shared a few nights out with Willo as I had a mate who was friendly with him during his playing days, he is a top bloke. However, it’s time to pension them both off (and Blackmore as well).

Blackmore especially, he never watches matches, just makes useless asides all the time and it takes all of DM's time to get commentaries back on subject. Just a sycophantic puppet who values his job more than the truth.

Merrington is soothing and comforting. He's not cutting edge but he's reliable and feels "close". He's classic local radio.

Look at the budget BBC One / BT / Sky have for their coverage and then look at some of the inarticulate weirdos they employ to cover matches and, frankly, Merrington is decent in comparison for a fraction of the cost.

Merrington is soothing and comforting. He's not cutting edge but he's reliable and feels "close". He's classic local radio.

Look at the budget BBC One / BT / Sky have for their coverage and then look at some of the inarticulate weirdos they employ to cover matches and, frankly, Merrington is decent in comparison for a fraction of the cost.

I agree, look at Garth Crooks, Jenas, etc

Modern analysis usually comes from failed managers or ex players who have never managed in their lives.

If we are talking about Solent commentators we shouldn't forget Guy Whittingham who always sounds like he hasn't quite forgiven Pompey for his treatment when he was their manager.

Which contrasts with the dignified way Merrington conducts himself after he was 'relieved of his duties' by Saints in the 1990's.

Merrington knows way more about the game than any of you tossers on here.

You’d hope so, seeing as it’s his job.

It’s not a question of whether he knows more than us “tossers”, it’s whether he knows more than others who can analyse the game. Personally I think there’s plenty out there who would do a much better job than him. Pel knows a lot more about the game than us tossers, does that he should manage the club?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love Adam and Dave. They're like a comfy pair of slippers. Brilliant team. Are they absolute football geniuses? No. They'd be doing better than a small local radio station if they were. Yes Dave repeats himself and states the obvious at times but you try talking for that length of time without doing that sort of thing.

Met Dave too. One of the nicest, warmest people you could meet.

Difference is Williams is seeing the most successful period in Bournemouth’s history and are well punching above their weight and playing an attractive football.

We on the other hand haven’t played good football since Koeman left. How many of our games have been exciting? How many times do we score 2+ goals or even 1 and keep going for more?