The small things in life that annoy you

whelk

On 02/05/2024 at 11:18, trousers said:

Pretentious restaurant menus that just use a whole number, rather than proper currency notation, to denote the price of each dish 

I often wonder what would happen if somebody went into Currys to buy something advertised on TV as being "Just one nine nine", and handed over £19, telling the salesperson "That's one, nine, and nine".

( And, no, I'm too cowardly to do it myself ).

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Cat said:

The worst ones are those that put something like 9.5 and then can't be arsed to put the zero at the end. Tossers. 

I was window shopping for an engagement ring yonks ago and there was a group I liked - all stock numbered (or so I thought) 2.7; 1.8,  etc. When I asked how much the 2.7 ring was he just said £2.7 million sir. Turns out yellow diamonds are quite dear, not cheaper....    

Edited by buctootim

3 hours ago, buctootim said:

I was window shopping for an engagement ring yonks ago and there was a group I liked - all stock numbered (or so I thought) 2.7; 1.8,  etc. When I asked how much the 2.7 ring was he just said £2.7 million sir. Turns out yellow diamonds are quite dear, not cheaper....    

Was she worth it?

3 minutes ago, buctootim said:

The two kids were worth it. I went for something £2.695m cheaper    

Well done. My wife’s cost us £25/10/6 or something close and she paid for most of that herself since she was working and I was a student. That was in 1968 and last October 55 years later she sadly passed away. I had bought her lots of jewellery over the years and my daughter has it all now including that engagement ring with the tiny diamond and the silver locket that that I had bought her before and which still has our daughter’s teeth marks in it.

We have a son, a daughter and seven wonderful grandchildren. My eldest grandson is a Saints fan and we both have season tickets and go to the football together.

Some things are truly priceless.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

I often wonder what would happen if somebody went into Currys to buy something advertised on TV as being "Just one nine nine", and handed over £19, telling the salesperson "That's one, nine, and nine".

Legally the potential buyer makes an offer and the seller decides whether or not to accept it.

Back in the old days items were priced at a penny or two under a whole pound because it forced the shop assistant to ring the item up on the till and hence there would be a record of the sale. There’s a whole generation or two out there who won’t know what I’m talking about.

6 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Well done. My wife’s cost us £25/10/6 or something close and she paid for most of that herself since she was working and I was a student. That was in 1968 and last October 55 years later she sadly passed away. I had bought her lots of jewellery over the years and my daughter has it all now including that engagement ring with the tiny diamond and the silver locket that that I had bought her before and which still has our daughter’s teeth marks in it.

We have a son, a daughter and seven wonderful grandchildren. My eldest grandson is a Saints fan and we both have season tickets and go to the football together.

55 years! You're lucky- or more socially skilled than me. Sorry for your loss. It's obviously hard to adjust but sometimes it also creates space for something new. My exes parents were similar, married 50 years and when her mum died her dad eventually found a second life with ballroom dancing. Men in their 70s are in a minority and highly sought after....

14 minutes ago, buctootim said:

55 years! You're lucky- or more socially skilled than me. Sorry for your loss. It's obviously hard to adjust but sometimes it also creates space for something new. My exes parents were similar, married 50 years and when her mum died her dad eventually found a second life with ballroom dancing. Men in their 70s are in a minority and highly sought after....

We had been together since we were both sixteen so it was nearer 58 years together.

I have had a few holidays alone and my son warned me that I should beware of ladies on the hunt for a wealthy widower and I have made a few friends. I have enough things to do to keep me busy but the wounds are still very raw. 

I’m fairly confident that I will not be taking up ballroom dancing though 😳

53 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Things that make you smile and happy with life, lovely! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

They would look at you like you are a weirdo.

The advert on TV is an 'invitation to treat' and not an 'offer'.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

The annoying fact that ex players seem to wear the same footwear when doing punditry on Sky Sports

Isn't it like the F1 coverage where they don't wear any obvious branding? Probably a limited selection if so.

Posted (edited)
On 02/05/2024 at 08:25, Fan The Flames said:

Anyone over 30 taking a day off for their birthday.

some dopey bint i know is in her early 40s and has a birthday week which she publishes all over her facebook account, its fucking tragic.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Using "I'm just saying" at the end of a (normally passive aggressive) sentence.  Totally redundant.  Of course you're just saying, what the fuck else did you think I thought you were doing?

You’re just too sensitive😄

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, whelk said:

You’re just too sensitive😄

Nah. If he were the right amount of sensitive he would have understood what she was going to say and she needn't have wasted her breath. Bstard. 

• Haha 1

On 07/05/2024 at 12:23, revolution saint said:

Using "I'm just saying" at the end of a (normally passive aggressive) sentence.  Totally redundant.  Of course you're just saying, what the fuck else did you think I thought you were doing?

Another like this is when people say "and then I turned round and said" when there was no turning round at all so the phrase is redundant. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stripey McStripe Shirt said:

People who wear massive ear defenders to mow their tiny lawn with an electric Flymo mower (i.e. my neighbour, who I am watching as I type).

Maybe he is very sensible and will be laughing in 20 years when I'm deaf but I can't help but think it's over the top.

Luckily, you won't be able to hear him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stripey McStripe Shirt said:

People who wear massive ear defenders to mow their tiny lawn with an electric Flymo mower (i.e. my neighbour, who I am watching as I type).

Maybe he is very sensible and will be laughing in 20 years when I'm deaf but I can't help but think it's over the top.

A couple of my mates have developed tinnitus recently (we are in our 50s) one is particularly fucked off with it. Maybe your neighbour is a sufferer.

Anyone who says a better goal difference is worth an extra point. Call it 0.0001 of a point or half a point or 0.9999 of a point if it’s necessary to explain why one team will finish above the other when they end the season level on points but it’s not the equivalent of an extra point.

2 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

A couple of my mates have developed tinnitus recently (we are in our 50s) one is particularly fucked off with it. Maybe your neighbour is a sufferer.

I developed unilateral tinnitus some twenty years ago and now I just have to live with it. Mine was caused by using a PC monitor that was too low for me meaning that my neck erector muscles were in constant tension. Over time the nerve signals through the dorsal cochlear nucleus got mixed with the auditory ones and I am constantly hearing the nerve commands as sounds.

It won’t kill me and I have to live with it but I would love to hear some silence so anything that can be done to preserve hearing is to be encouraged.

• Like 1