The small things in life that annoy you

whelk

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Perhaps not wave power, but tidal generation is used in several countries.

Only a few countries and not at any great scale. Lots of projects talked about for decades but not built. By contrast there are thousands of hydro electric schemes (dams) some far larger than any fossil fuel plant and have been for over 100 years.

The fact hydro is so widely utilised and has been for so long hints at some of the problems of tidal. One of them, I think ( I havent read about it for years) is that hydro is effectively on demand  - you can generate electricity when you need it at peak times, like mornings and early evening. Tidal kicks in according to moon cycles and you dont necessarily need a surge of power at 3am or 3pm on a Sunday .     

Edited by buctootim

1 hour ago, buctootim said:

Only a few countries and not at any great scale. Lots of projects talked about for decades but not built. By contrast there are thousands of hydro electric schemes (dams) some far larger than any fossil fuel plant and have been for over 100 years.

The fact hydro is so widely utilised and has been for so long hints at some of the problems of tidal. One of them, I think ( I havent read about it for years) is that hydro is effectively on demand  - you can generate electricity when you need it at peak times, like mornings and early evening. Tidal kicks in according to moon cycles and you dont necessarily need a surge of power at 3am or 3pm on a Sunday .     

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Swansea was supposed to be building a tidal lake to give power on demand.

Tides are always moving, either coming in or going out, so there is always tidal movement to be harnessed....

It can be arranged with tidal ponds that power is always available but the environmentalists have bigger power.

Flicking through the channels this evening and found myself watching 'celebrity' Weakest Link. Has there ever been a thicker bunch of individuals on the same TV show? Are these imbeciles genuinely ignorant of how embarrassing their lack of basic intellect is? Thick. As. Mince.

Edited by trousers

10 minutes ago, trousers said:

Flicking through the channels this evening and found myself watching 'celebrity' Weakest Link. Has there ever been a thicker bunch of individuals on the same TV show? Are these imbeciles genuinely ignorant of how embarrassing their lack of basic intellect is? Thick. As. Mince.

F*** me... Just switched over to the 1% Club and it gets even worse. How do these amoeba manage to work out how to wipe their own arse, let alone fill out an application form to make a twat of themselves on national television...?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, trousers said:

And they seem to be proud about it.

Edited by Whitey Grandad
Autocorrect

14 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Band they seem to be proud about it.

Indeed. They're so thick that they seem to think making a joke about how thick they are is entertainment in itself. Thick twats. 

• Like 1

I vaguely recall our very own Lucy Pinder being on WL years back on a models special, back in the Anne Robinson days. The questions were... let's just say calibrated towards those specific contestants. I seem to remember Lucy not getting a single one wrong and immediately getting voted off by the other girls for not being denser than a neutron star. Sadly this was in the days before you could pause live TV, so Lucy was gone before I could erm...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, trousers said:

F*** me... Just switched over to the 1% Club and it gets even worse. How do these amoeba manage to work out how to wipe their own arse, let alone fill out an application form to make a twat of themselves on national television...?

They have agents and ‘people’ to do the paperwork. They also seem to think that by acting thick it will be good for their career? 

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Rome - Beautiful city, absolute pain in the ass of a place to navigate yourself around. 

It is easy city to get round. Lots of straight roads! Would never think about driving though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, whelk said:

It is easy city to get round. Lots of straight roads! Would never think about driving though. 

You must be a better map reader than me, even Google maps sent us in the wrong direction twice. You'd think it would be easy to spot the fuckin Collusuem. Take your point about driving though, zebra crossings etc are a waste of time, they even park on them.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

even Google maps sent us in the wrong direction twice

Not being aware of your orienteering talents but might be be your map reading skills. Personally I am shit and that blue fucking dot is always going the wrong way that I think it should be going. Fantastic city Rome

Edited by whelk

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Rome - Beautiful city, absolute pain in the ass of a place to navigate yourself around. 

Better than Paris. That's hideous. Anyways, use a cab or the metro, small and well formed. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, whelk said:

Not being aware of your orienteering talents but might be be your map reading skills. Personally I am shit and that blue fucking dot is always going the wrong way that I think it should be going. Fantastic city Rome

Blue dot was always behind us for some reason. Great place to visit though, the history of the place is amazing.

Media making out everyone’s main concern about the Grand National is horse’s welfare.  Wait til they find out about the daily throughput at abattoirs. We love animals though

12 minutes ago, whelk said:

Media making out everyone’s main concern about the Grand National is horse’s welfare.  Wait til they find out about the daily throughput at abattoirs. We love animals though

A bit of a difference between slaughtering animals bred for food and doing it for sport. I love a good prawn cocktails but I don't tend to go out hare coursing if Saints aren't playing on Saturday.

19 minutes ago, trousers said:

"What dairy food...."

"Pass"

FFS.... Just name a f**king dairy food you absolute goon. 

#thechase

If you must watch such programs you have to accept the imbecility of the contestants. They are specifically selected because of it, as it engages the audience, who sit there thinking they are smarter than those they are watching. ( An admittedly low bar ).

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

If you must watch such programs you have to accept the imbecility of the contestants. They are specifically selected because of it, as it engages the audience, who sit there thinking they are smarter than those they are watching. ( An admittedly low bar ).

Private Eye reported that on Radio Exe the presenter asked a question on a morning quiz segment - ‘If it’s your birthday today, 8 March, your star sign is a fish. Name that sign’

Caller: ‘Tuna’

ITV Tipping Point - Ben Shephard ‘How many sides does an isosceles triangle have?’

Contestant: ‘Five’

6 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Private Eye reported that on Radio Exe the presenter asked a question on a morning quiz segment - ‘If it’s your birthday today, 8 March, your star sign is a fish. Name that sign’

ITV Tipping Point - Ben Shephard ‘How many sides does an isosceles triangle have?’

I rest my case.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gloucester Saint said:

TBH I wouldn’t criticise anybody for being completely ignorant of astrology. It’s absolute horse sh*t, there is no need for anybody to be ‘educated’ about it any more than than Game of Thrones houses or Sri Lankan cricketers.

10 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

TBH I wouldn’t criticise anybody for being completely ignorant of astrology. It’s absolute horse sh*t, there is no need for anybody to be ‘educated’ about it any more than than Game of Thrones houses or Sri Lankan cricketers.

Spoken like a true Libran.

Interestingly (or not), all these "professional" personality tests like Myers Briggs work in exactly the same way as astrology - take a broad, vague and generally positive statement and tell people it applies to them.  I still can't get my head around how supposedly intelligent people fall for that crap.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Spoken like a true Libran.

Interestingly (or not), all these "professional" personality tests like Myers Briggs work in exactly the same way as astrology - take a broad, vague and generally positive statement and tell people it applies to them.  I still can't get my head around how supposedly intelligent people fall for that crap.

Apparently I don’t like to be openly criticised in meetings. And hate having a fork stuck in my leg. Unlike those bastards that focus on detail

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, whelk said:

Apparently I don’t like to be openly criticised in meetings. And hate having a fork stuck in my leg. Unlike those bastards that focus on detail

That's always a problem with meetings in prison canteens.  All those personality tests are bullshit - at one place we did one where we got assigned colours instead of the four letters - when we got our results everyone compared and it was like some bizarre corporate version of reservoir dogs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, revolution saint said:

That's always a problem with meetings in prison canteens.  All those personality tests are bullshit - at one place we did one where we got assigned colours instead of the four letters - when we got our results everyone compared and it was like some bizarre corporate version of reservoir dogs.

Given to me by my peers on one of these exercises a while back. Actually quite true -I am less of a cunt at workIMG_0186.thumb.png.2c58f16a5117ffc494a4b08c0f480bac.png

46 minutes ago, whelk said:

Given to me by my peers on one of these exercises a while back. Actually quite true -I am less of a cunt at workIMG_0186.thumb.png.2c58f16a5117ffc494a4b08c0f480bac.png

Ah, so you're dominant red, huh?

We did this a while back and I actually found it more relevant and useful than many of the other ones I've been asked to do in the past.

• Like 1