The small things in life that annoy you

whelk

The contractors building the Singleton bypass on the A585. To avoid penalties for missing their deadline they have opened the new dual carriageway on one side, with two way contraflow traffic, and no traffic lights to control traffic at the junctions as it crosses other roads. Last night at 7pm what was previously a 10 minute journey by the old road, now closed off, was taking 80 minutes. Cars trying to turn right off the road at the junctions block everything behind them whilst they are waiting to turn.

Edited by badgerx16

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Royal Mail. Has become a complete joke of a company. The last couple of months we've received letters for nearly all our neighbours even though the address is clear. It seems that delivering to a random address on the street is good enough and we'll sort the rest for them!

Completely agree about Royal Mail, shocking service when it comes to letters.  Will be interesting to watch the new Toby Jones series "Mr Bates vs the Post Office"

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Royal Mail. Has become a complete joke of a company. The last couple of months we've received letters for nearly all our neighbours even though the address is clear. It seems that delivering to a random address on the street is good enough and we'll sort the rest for them!

You get frequent mail deliveries? Surely something to post in the "Things that bring you joy" thread? Here in deepest darkest Devon, we're lucky to get one delivery per week!

1 hour ago, trousers said:

You get frequent mail deliveries? Surely something to post in the "Things that bring you joy" thread? Here in deepest darkest Devon, we're lucky to get one delivery per week!

I am afraid I have given up on them. If our nice post lady is on holiday for two weeks we don't get any mail for two weeks. What is worse is that any money I have sent out or been sent to my children now does not arrive. That never used to be the case. Shambles.

1 hour ago, Sergei Gotsmanov said:

I am afraid I have given up on them. If our nice post lady is on holiday for two weeks we don't get any mail for two weeks. What is worse is that any money I have sent out or been sent to my children now does not arrive. That never used to be the case. Shambles.

I'm not sure if this works all the time, but something I heard recently was if you send yourself a recorded delivery parcel when you are expecting an important letter it'll speed up delivery as they'll bundle up any standard mail with the parcel van. Shouldn't be necessary of course, and a bit of a PITA, but a potential top tip nonetheless. 

• Like 1

On 21/12/2023 at 08:23, Weston Super Saint said:

A couple of days ago one of my sons who lives near Titchfield received a card addressed to someone with the same house number and road name in Newcastle.

PG Tips. 

Had decades of their advertising telling us that their pyramid tea bags are revolutionary for making a perfect cuppa.

Now they've reverted back to "normal" tea bags to reduce the use of micro plastics (a noble reason) yet their packaging is trying to pass it off being for "new intense flavour release". Bollocks to it.

Adverts in general;

"New improved....", was the product shit previously?

The cleaner "Now with a plant based ingredient"', so it has citric acid in amongst all the environmentally dangerous chemicals.

Batteries "...containing recycled materials", probably the metal casing.

If they are going to make these claims they should be made to make clear what exactly they are talking about, ( and not just with impossible to read tiny white text at the bottom of the TV screen ).

Edited by badgerx16

16 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Adverts in general;

"New improved....", was the product shit previously?

The cleaner "Now with a plant based ingredient"', so it has citric acid in amongst all the environmentally dangerous chemicals.

Batteries "...containing recycled materials", probably the metal casing.

If they are going to make these claims they should be made to make clear what exactly they are talking about, ( and not just with impossible to read tiny white text at the bottom of the TV screen ).

‘As good as the market leader’. 

Well if it was, it would be the market leader too, right?! 

Token bs ‘gambleaware’ in gambling ads. Literally watched William Hill ad talk earnestly about all their measures to keep under control and then the following advert was William Hill showing what fun it was gambling with them. The same fucking company!

Yet another toothless watchdog enforcing ineffective nonsense to show they are doing something which does fuck all to stop the epidemic of gambling addicts. If the companies marketing wanted to really put the effort in to show ruined lives I’m damn sure they could a better effort at getting the message across. I used t9 work in the industry and they sure profit from addicts and want more.

• Like 2

On 23/12/2023 at 07:50, Behind Enemy Lines said:

‘As good as the market leader’. 

Well if it was, it would be the market leader too, right?! 

Not necessarily. There's loads of instances of market leading products being not as good as others available, but have been more successfully marketed therefore have higher sales and profits. Classic example is Beats headphones. For what they cost, they're really not that good compared to other brands, but every other fucker on the train seems to be wearing them.

So my nomination for the thread title is - people who think they look cool wearing Beats, but they actually just look like idiots because they're happy to pay over the odds for something because the bloke who launched them is a big name. Basically the same as people paying stupid money for perfume by people like Victoria Beckham.

On 22/12/2023 at 12:44, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I only listen to the radio at work, but this "make me a winner competition" on one of the stations. Why would you go to the bother of entering, then spaffing a couple of quid for the privilige, only to not answer your phone when you get called up? These last few weeks have seen some pretty hefty sums passed up.

And the occasional '10 free texts to enter' so a better chance to win......surely if that includes everyone that's the same as one text for everyone?

The continuity announcer before a 70s / 80s film is shown on terrestrial TV these days: "This film may contain references of the era which may be offensive now"... Channel 4 just did this before Planes, Trains & Automobiles... 

FFS... If it's so "offensive" then don't show it in the first place; if it's not then shut the f*** up!

Edited by trousers

6 minutes ago, trousers said:

The continuity announcer before a 70s / 80s film is shown on terrestrial TV these days: "This film may contain references of the era which may be offensive now"... Channel 4 just did this before Planes, Trains & Automobiles... 

FFS... If it's so "offensive" then don't show it in the first place; if it's not then shut the f*** up!

The World these days is populated with snowflakes.

16 hours ago, trousers said:

Reminds me I need to write to Points of View as I put The Sweeney on and there was Jack Regan swigging whiskey and no warning of alcohol use in the show, come to think of it I think I saw someone smoking too and again no warning.

Edited by whelk
There not their tut tut
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, whelk said:

Reminds me I need to write to Points of View as I put The Sweeney on and their was Jack Regan swigging whiskey and no warning of alcohol use in the show, come to think of it I think I saw someone smoking too and again no warning.

I watched a little bit of 'porridge' the other day.  Middle of the afternoon, no warnings and one scene in the prison cell had a collection of 'page 3's' on the wall.  Where will it end?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, trousers said:

The sound level of adverts on channel  being around 50 decibels louder than the movie being shown. Twats. 

In my days in television research we mentioned this and we’re told that the adverts were never louder than the loudest part of the programme. Of course, all adverts used sound that is compressed upwards.

On 31/12/2023 at 00:03, CB Fry said:

That's the twelfth time you have said that on here in 2023.

I am keeping tabs on it. So far unbeaten in 2024. When the true run starts