The small things in life that annoy you

whelk

On 23/09/2023 at 22:43, revolution saint said:

The song Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley (or any of the covers).  Can't fucking stand it.

Great song but been covered so much not sure I feel it is still. Remember being used on West Wing way before any X Factor bod butchered and was perfect for scene.

Edited by whelk

1 minute ago, revolution saint said:

Obviously everyone is entitled to an opinion but you're wrong. It's a total dirge.  And West Wing was shit too.

Lost any respect for you with West Wing comment. I get maybe not liking Cohen but Aaron Sorkin. Pffft

3 minutes ago, whelk said:

Lost any respect for you with West Wing comment. I get maybe not liking Cohen but Aaron Sorkin. Pffft

Ha ha, you had respect for me? 

I'm honoured.  I find Sorkin a bit hit and miss - loved "A few good men" even if it is over the top.  I only ever watched the first episode of West Wing and if I recall Martin Sheen only appears right at the end and moans at everyone for not standing up when the president enters the room.  I thought, arrogant cunt and never watched any further.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, whelk said:

Please don’t spoil this thread. Is about little annoyances not grown men bickering 

I think that he was expressing a little annoyance.

Anyway, the little annoyance I have today is the right wing media kicking off about Labour’s plan to apply 20% vat to private school fees. Don’t they tell us if you can’t afford children, don’t have them? Perhaps they should extend that argument to if you can’t afford to send your children to private school, then don’t?*

*Unashamedly pinched from the James O’Brien LBC show this morning.

Edited by sadoldgit
Added text

53 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

"Storm Agnes, named by the met office" ... FFS ... shut up!  1) it's a bit of wind, 2) who cares what name the wind has, 3) who cares who named and 4) why did I hear this same line EVERY time the weather was on?  Fuck off. 

Climate emergency / Global Boiling, mate.

14 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Golf - long walk ruined

I like the crazy version.  That's OK.

On the subject of golf, it strikes me that it's not a particularly great spectator sport especially if you're gathered round one of the tees.  Surely that's like watching someone take a penalty but not being able to see if it went in the net?

Edited by revolution saint
  • Like 1

On 30/09/2023 at 09:38, revolution saint said:

I like the crazy version.  That's OK.

On the subject of golf, it strikes me that it's not a particularly great spectator sport especially if you're gathered round one of the tees.  Surely that's like watching someone take a penalty but not being able to see if it went in the net?

I thought that, before I went to Wentworth a few times to watch the PGA Championship. Watching elite golfers tee off, like the machines they are is amazing. The idea is to mix up your positions throughout the day, a bit behind the tee, a bit around a green or two, pick a group and follow them for a while, a bit in the bar, a bit in the gallery. It's a good day out. I'm not a golfer but enjoy watching it on TV and live, there's something going on all the time and watching most elite level sport live is pretty good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trousers said:

'Gender Reveals'

Since when did this f***ing abomination become a thing and how f***ing shallow and vein do you have to be to even contemplate doing such a thing....?

What a load of old shite.

Congratulations, Mrs Thorn! It's an abomination!

Damian's mother gets an early warning, after a surprising gender reveal from the scan.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, trousers said:

'Gender Reveals'

Since when did this f***ing abomination become a thing and how f***ing shallow and vein do you have to be to even contemplate doing such a thing....?

A guy at work is off this week on a Babymoon, a little pre-birth holiday for the couple.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, trousers said:

'Gender Reveals'

Also, a pretty pointless exercise as the "baby" can choose their own gender when they get to primary school.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, trousers said:

Please tell me you've just made that up and that it isn't actually a thing? Please? 

I’m going to suggest that it’s the name which you find irritating, not the actual concept. If an expectant couple wants to get away for a short vacation before a sprog pops out and ruins the next 18 years, that’s not a bad idea.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, andypen said:

On the same note, watching international Rugby Union for many many years, and still not having a fucking clue about most of the rules.

I'm with you mate. I do enjoy watching rugby, but most of the time I have no idea what the referee has given certain decisions for.

I also still haven't the slightest clue what the point of a scrum is.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I'm with you mate. I do enjoy watching rugby, but most of the time I have no idea what the referee has given certain decisions for.

Ditto. Even been to Twickenham for 6 Nations games and felt like I am the only one who hasn’t got a clue why a penalty was given 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

46 minutes ago, whelk said:

Ditto. Even been to Twickenham for 6 Nations games and felt like I am the only one who hasn’t got a clue why a penalty was given 

A sport where you can smash into each other to knock the other guy clean over and that's all fine, but if the ball is slightly nudged forward by an arm that's a penalty.

Also the penalties seem to happen about ten minutes after the thing that the penalty was for happened. And then they just kick it out of play. 

Most of the time not a fucking clue but I've been watching world cups and 6 nations occasionally for decades. 

6 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

A sport where you can smash into each other to knock the other guy clean over and that's all fine, but if the ball is slightly nudged forward by an arm that's a penalty.

Also the penalties seem to happen about ten minutes after the thing that the penalty was for happened. And then they just kick it out of play. 

Most of the time not a fucking clue but I've been watching world cups and 6 nations occasionally for decades. 

Talking of rugby When a footballer goes down injured you get the “you don’t get rugby players rolling around on the floor” 

Now I’m not denying there is play acting in football but you’ve got a 10 stone winger running at the almost the speed of an Olympic sprinter being taken out by a 14 stone centre back, it’s going to hurt.

or the other cliche about the fans, how rugby fans can behave. a crowd full or tarquins in boot cut jeans a loafers. I’d rather see two groups of working class lads bashing each other up then have to endure tarquins talking about their share prices fucking Tory wankers 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

With the scrum, they can spend ages resetting the thing….. to what end? 

10 hours ago, Turkish said:

or the other cliche about the fans, how rugby fans can behave. a crowd full or tarquins in boot cut jeans a loafers. I’d rather see two groups of working class lads bashing each other up then have to endure tarquins talking about their share prices fucking Tory wankers 

Tell you what Turks, why don't you take yourself along to a local league match in an old mining town in Wales and express that opinion to some other spectators, then come back and tell us how you got on, yeah? 😉

26 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Tell you what Turks, why don't you take yourself along to a local league match in an old mining town in Wales and express that opinion to some other spectators, then come back and tell us how you got on, yeah? 😉

A town full of lads that had stayed there,  become PE teachers and married a nice welsh girl? Sounds lovely 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I’m going to suggest that it’s the name which you find irritating, not the actual concept. If an expectant couple wants to get away for a short vacation before a sprog pops out and ruins the next 18 years, that’s not a bad idea.

Yep, it's totally the cretinous name. It's just a holiday FFS. Just call it a holiday like normal people would, because that's what it f**king is. It doesn't need a new 'trendy' word. FFS.

• Like 1