The small things in life that annoy you

whelk

9 minutes ago, trousers said:

When newspapers publish 'then and now' photos to remind you how old you are and how quickly life is passing by ..

Screenshot_20230317-105320.png

Tbh as long as they only publish pictures of people I've never heard of, who were in shows I've never heard of, I'm fine with it. 

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

Turning the tap on into the sink, and it hits the only spoon / thing in the bowl and sprays water all over the place. I hope that's small enough.

And what have you learnt from this?

Edited by Whitey Grandad
Speeling

Names of clubs and ground suddenly changing.

why the fuck are Sky now calling Athletic Bilbao, Athletic club?

also see Upton Park referred to Boleyn Ground

Nou Camp becoming Cap Nou.

Player pronunciations too. Salah now seems to be called Sa-lar by quite a few pundits 

13 minutes ago, whelk said:

Player pronunciations too. Salah now seems to be called Sa-lar by quite a few pundits 

Next season, Bolton Wanderers will be playing at the Toughsheet Community Stadium.

7 hours ago, whelk said:

Have I missed the joke? None of those have changed from what they were originally.

2 hours ago, whelk said:

So I dreamt that they used to be referred to as Athletic Bilbao?

As wiki says…..

Athletic Club, commonly known as Athletic Bilbao or just Athletic, is a professional football club based in the city of Bilbao in the Basque Country of Spain.

Much like Barcelona’s ground was often referred to as the Nou Camp in the Uk but Camp Nou everywhere else. Probably just Britishisms that became standard for us but were never the actual true name that the club referred to them as. And the Boleyn Ground was always the official name for the stadium located within Upton Park. It is much like a Spaniard referring to our stadium as Estadio de Santa Maria, not incorrect but not the true name.

Edited by The Kraken

21 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

As wiki says…..

Athletic Club, commonly known as Athletic Bilbao or just Athletic, is a professional football club based in the city of Bilbao in the Basque Country of Spain.

Much like Barcelona’s ground was often referred to as the Nou Camp in the Uk but Camp Nou everywhere else. Probably just Britishisms that became standard for us but were never the actual true name that the club referred to them as. And the Boleyn Ground was always the official name for the stadium located within Upton Park. It is much like a Spaniard referring to our stadium as Estadio de Santa Maria, not incorrect but not the true name.

Yeah I get it is also their name. But who decides it suddenly gets used over previous? I grew up obsessed with football, stickers books etc and did not hear or see once that West Ham played at the Boleyn Gound until last 10 years which suddenly became more widely used. 

On 18/03/2023 at 09:21, whelk said:

Completely agree Whelk - it feels like commentators, pundits and fans are trying to add a level of sophistication which simply isn't necessary in football.  Some commentators seem to make up the pronunciation of player names as they go along.  Caleta Car is a prime example - I've heard it pronounced about six different ways.  Thankfully he doesn't play anymore so that's a relief.

On a related note - countries that used to be part of the British Empire rejecting the name we've given them and going for something else.  Show a bit of fucking gratitude!  We didn't slave away (pardon the pun) coming up with a name for you that would indicate your subordination to us just so you could change it at the earliest chance you got.  Yes, Colonial Nigeria, Colonial Fiji, British East Africa amongst others, I'm talking about you.  Bastards.

Anyway, where are you on the whole Gary Lineacre thing?

• Haha 3

Overuse of the word legend. People referring to people constantly as legends who have achieved little more than averageness.

Or even worse the twats who call their twat mates legends, “my mate Dave, he’s a legend, he once downed 8 tequilas in a row and puked on the bouncers shoes, what a legend” no he’s a twat 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Overuse of the word legend. People referring to people constantly as legends who have achieved little more than averageness.

Or even worse the twats who call their twat mates legends, “my mate Dave, he’s a legend, he once downed 8 tequilas in a row and puked on the bouncers shoes, what a legend” no he’s a twat 

And the word ‘hero’

‘Food heroes’ for goodness sake. It’s an insult to all those real heroes and heroines.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Completely agree Whelk - it feels like commentators, pundits and fans are trying to add a level of sophistication which simply isn't necessary in football.  Some commentators seem to make up the pronunciation of player names as they go along.  Caleta Car is a prime example - I've heard it pronounced about six different ways.  Thankfully he doesn't play anymore so that's a relief.

On a related note - countries that used to be part of the British Empire rejecting the name we've given them and going for something else.  Show a bit of fucking gratitude!  We didn't slave away (pardon the pun) coming up with a name for you that would indicate your subordination to us just so you could change it at the earliest chance you got.  Yes, Colonial Nigeria, Colonial Fiji, British East Africa amongst others, I'm talking about you.  Bastards.

Anyway, where are you on the whole Gary Lineacre thing?

Not really over one of the old radio DJs calling them Depechay Mode. Time heals and all that…. almost worth its own thread.

Brilliant save!

No, it was straight at him.

Brilliant goal!

No, it was a half-decent shot that deflected off the defender - there was no brilliance involved, brilliance is beating five players and chipping the keeper or curling the ball two metres and in off a post.

Let's ration the use of brilliant and save it for the real thing.

42 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

Brilliant save!

No, it was straight at him.

Brilliant goal!

No, it was a half-decent shot that deflected off the defender - there was no brilliance involved, brilliance is beating five players and chipping the keeper or curling the ball two metres and in off a post.

Let's ration the use of brilliant and save it for the real thing.

Brilliant post 

;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Turkish said:

Reminds me of the Gary Delaney joke...

Screenshot_20230320-103058.png

😂

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, whelk said:

Not really over one of the old radio DJs calling them Depechay Mode. Time heals and all that…. almost worth its own thread.

That was probably Peter Powell or Bruno Brooks. They were both cunts.

I still miss “Our Tune” on the Simon Bates mid morning show - was absolute quality listening to tales of utter abject misery that just got worse and worse. I loved it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You're walking on the pavement. An person is walking towards you, but to the left/right of your trajectory. You get closer, and just before you pass one another, said person steps in front of you, giving you access to pass them in the free space you would've otherwise had, had they stayed where they fucking were.

Cunty-headed ninny-muggins.

So that. 

Yesterday morning I ordered a new mains charger. The website said that orders places before 2pm would be next day delivery.

I have just received a message from Royal Mail, who have my parcel and will deliver it on Thursday.

Who took Wednesday out of the week ?

Edited by badgerx16

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Yesterday morning I ordered a new mains charger. The website said that orders places before 2pm would be next day delivery.

I have just received a message from Royal Mail, who have my parcel and will deliver it on Thursday.

Royal Mail did - they claim they are only paid for four days a week, so they don't bother with Wednesdays now.

3 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Royal Mail did - they claim they are only paid for four days a week, so they don't bother with Wednesdays now.

And there was me thinking that the weeks only seem to go quicker because I am getting older.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/03/2023 at 14:30, badgerx16 said:

At 3pm on a Friday I paid £12 for guaranteed next day special delivery. It got there at 2pm Monday. Apparently Saturday and Sunday dont count either.   

3 hours ago, The Cat said:

When roadwork signs are left up after the works has finished.

There's one still by the old Debenhams that says "road closed 23rd and 29th March". 

When the smart gantries have 40mph signs up for night roadworks, then the works just end and there's nothing to indicate a return to national speed limit. I was driving down the M3 a couple of months back and there was work being done around Lightwater. By the letter of the law, according to the (lack of) speed limit signs, I should have kept going at 40, all the way to the end of the variable speed limit at Hook.

This could equally amuse but there isn’t a thread on that

virtue signalling on social media about famous peoples deaths to show what lovely people they are

someone posted “sad news about Paul Cattermole” 3 crying emojis response 

one “friend” who put a crying a emoji adds a comment “had to look up who he was, yes really sad”

I find this sort of stuff weird. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

someone posted “sad news about Paul Cattermole” 3 crying emojis response 

one “friend” who put a crying a emoji adds a comment “had to look up who he was, yes really sad”

Didn't he play for Sunderland?

Things that annoy me : Plumbers/tradesman who never show up on time, or not at all.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Picard said:

You order some skips and your neighbour fills them with all his rubbish.

A friend of mine was having some work done on her house. She took great care to tell her builders that on no account was her white batheroom suite to be thrown out. When she got back home there was a white bathroom suite in her skip so she stormed in and gave the builders a few choice mouthfuls to which they responded with blank faces. 

Then she saw her white bathroom suite still in its normal place.

And there was One Foot in the Grave,

2CV.png

Amazon have just sent us an email saying that as we last put batteries in our Firestick remote control 2 years ago they will soon need replacing, and giving a link to 'compatible items confirmed to work with your device' - it's frigging AAA batteries FFS, and we don't actually need them as we don't use the stick anymore since we installed our new TV with PRIME built in.